How To Make Sausage Milk Gravy

My friend, Michael, called me this week and threatened to put a hit out on me if I keep proliferating our once guarded recipes. He said “It ain’t right you giving all of these things out!”. I mentioned Paula Deen and he quickly let me know that he wasn’t too happy with her for her betrayal of our food heritage either. Michael was being good natured about it, heck I was thrilled that he had actually read my site, but it still doesn’t hurt to know that his Mama has been reading my site as well so I have a built in bodyguard in Miss Nita.
I also have some canned apple butter that he is hoping to get his hands on…

Today, we’re going to make a real staple. This recipe is going to separate the men from the mice, as they say. In our case, it would be one of those things which literally draws the line in the sand. Suppose a person of the northern persuasion (my new politically correct way of saying “yankee”) were to inflitrate our lines and pose as a native. Suppose, just suppose, that discovering who this person was would affect our like…..national security or something. Lets say they wanted to deface our big statue of the boll weevil or some other horrific crime. Well, this gravy alone could detect who the imposter was. Keep reading, I’ll show you why.

Note: No yankees were harmed in the making of this tutorial. They were fed obscene amounts of gravy and southern cooking and will be staying a spell so we can have time to pump them full of dumplings, apple butter, grits, sweet tea, and any other good stuff we can come up with.

You’ll need: Milk, Flour (self rising or plain, doesn’t matter), and sausage.

Don’t you just love simple recipes? That is one of the best things about southern cooking, its just plain simple and just plain good. Always unnerves me when I see a recipe for sausage gravy with an ingredient list that reads like a scientific classification. I think southerners are just trying to show off to folks of the northern persuasion when they do that. Theres no need.
Milk, Flour, Sausage = Sausage gravy.

See that sausage in the pic? You know you’re from my neck of the woods if you took one look at that sausage package and immediately started humming this song. Just for kicks, I like to sing the first part out loud… “For real country sausage, the best you ever tried….” Then wait to hear my kids finish it off… “Take home a package of our Tennessee Pride!”. Thats how I know I raised them right. A person of the northern persuasion would not know this song, of course.
*Conversely, though, you could use this to spot a redneck in your midst. I’m afraid I’d pass (or fail, depending on your point of view) this test with both hands tied behind my back.

Slice your sausage in whatever thickness you prefer. I usually go for about half an inch but some people like it thinner.

Place sausage in pan over medium heat and cook until well browned.
It will look something like this. See that brown stuff in the bottom? Thats gonna be your gravy!
Remove sausage once it is done and place on paper towel lined plate to drain. You will have a good bit of grease left in your skillet. You need about two tablespoons, so if you have more drain it off to leave about that much.
Sprinkle three to four tablespoons of flour in your skillet.

Cook this over medium low heat until the flour is browned.

Scrape the bottom of the skillet to stir sausage bits into your gravy.
Pepper it to taste.
Salt it to taste.
Add milk. I added about a cup and a half here.

Stir well until smooth and creamy.

Take a piece of sausage or two and crumble it up in your gravy.

I made a small amount of gravy so I just used one sausage.

Most folks will take a biscuit and set it on their plate and spoon gravy onto it. They might cut it in half first and spoon gravy on both halves.
Thats not how we really like it though.
We REALLY like to tear our biscuit up in our bowl…because that’s what our mamas did when we were little. :)

Spoon gravy all over it. At this point you can use a fork……or get a spoon and really pretend your mama is there.

If you tear up the biscuits for your guests, you will likely notice them sprouting huge grins at seeing the nostalgic sight.
However, some of them may look at you awful funny – I think you’ve spotted your yankee at this point. Get out your best plates, give them the head of the table, and provide them with the best apple butter and biscuits you have to offer.
We want them leaving with a good impression, by god!
Bring on the sweet tea! We got company!

I bet they won’t wanna mess with our Boll Weevil statue after all…

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

This “Yankee” loves your recipes. Funny how us northerner s don’t seem to realize there’s still a war waging down south! I guess I need to cross over that Mason -Dixon line a bit more and visit our neighborly south.

Ack! This post was written during the first few months of southernplate, when my fondest dream was having five readers who weren’t related to me ;). I’ve since grown wiser, more diplomatic, and am able to draw humor without having to rely on civil war boundaries ;). Another time I’d like to go back and give myself a hug, tightly, with both hands, around the neck. :)

• Jim says

I’m about as Yankee as they come, and I can say I love your humor, ya, some people just take life too serious! Then I have lived south of the Mason Dixon line for almost half of my life. I got a bunch of great sausage from a friend who makes it, and wanted sausage and gravy for breakfast. DOH, I have no milk! :-( So its either just eat eggs… again (I have chickens) or take a trip to the store in the morning.

With all the recipes I looked at today, yours made me smile the most and made me say something, a rare thing.

2. terry b says

Wouldn’t it be nice if most of the comments were from those who have tried your recipes and want only to communicate that experience. It is also good to hear of slight alterations. However, I’m sure most of us can do without the “looks Yummy, can’t wait to try!” comments.

Terry Bee

Hey Terry!
      Oh goodness, that would not be nice at all, really :). After spending hours photographing a recipe, cooking it, typing it up, uploading photos, creating a post, doing all of the writing, and then creating a newsletter to send out to everyone, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy the kind people who take time to stop by and tell me thank you or that something looks good.
      I would never want to do anything but express gratitude for kind people who take time to encourage and chat back with me in the comments.
      This is the second time you’ve commented on my site so I haven’t had an opportunity to get to know you really, but both times you’ve pointed out how much this bothered you. I’m afraid you’ll always find this to be the case on SouthernPlate, because that is the type of website this is. It is a community, not just a standard recipe-only website. There are plenty of those on the net. This is my little virtual front porch online and I encourage and greatly appreciate all of the wonderful people who take time to comment, even if it is just “this looks yummy.” As the one doing all the work, I gotta tell ya that I can’t keep doing it without those comments :). They are generous and good hearted folks and I’m glad to have them here.

3. Catherine says

“Sing it over and over and over again……FROS…TEE…MORN……”

That commercial would play every morning at about 7:55 a.m. on WLS Nashville…when we heard it in my dad’s car we knew we were gonna be late for school!
    Too bad we can’t buy Frosty Morn sausage here in North Alabama, but Dean’s is made in these parts…

4. Shannon says

My Papa always loved to eat tomatoes and cantaloupe with his biscuits and gravy. I never was a fan of the cantaloupe/gravy idea until after he died. Now I eat it just to think of him. It’s a big, warm, happy hug from him.

5. kb says

Took me years to figure out my grandma’s “real” recipe for sausage gravy. She used the bacon grease from the coffee can on the counter to brown the flour! She served it w home canned tomato juice and fried apples…mmmmm!

6. Allen Mize says

Christy I have a new flavor for you. I am the breakfast king, at home, at the lake amd at the hunting camp. I make gravy all the time. Its the same recipe as set out herein. My grandmother, Nanny, taught me to make it. Except, as noted, you made a very small batch. I usually plan out my roux (the browning of flour in grease) and milk ratio to nearly a cup of milk per person and never have a drop left over. Anyway, I started using Purnells “Old Folks” Smokehouse sausage. Its made from smoked cuts. It provides a deep rich flavor to the gravy. I found the sausage at Publix. Its made in Kentucky. Smiths Farms in Cullman also makes a good smoked breakfast sausage that gives the gravy a deeper flavor. One more thing, the gravy will turn out creamier if your milk is room temperature instead of right out of the ice box. And never use “blue john” (skim or reduced fat milk)