Butterfinger Cake A.K.A. The Cake That Will Spark A Stampede To Your Door

Warning: I think I hit more tangents than usual in this post. Recipe is at the bottom if you wanna skip through the interesting tidbits about my family, negative people, my dish envy, and complaints about my kitchen.

Looking over some of my past posts, I noticed I have a habit of going on and on about how I love everything I post. Thing is though, I DO love everything I post. If I didn’t love it, I wouldn’t share the recipes with you because I want you to love everything I post, too!

Alright, now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, let me start posting about this cake by saying: I LOVE THIS CAKE!!! Furthermore, EVERYONE LOVES THIS CAKE!! Grown men swoon for it, Children polish their halos and change their vocabulary to “mother dear” for it. No cake I have ever had in a restaurant holds a candle to THIS one.

THIS is the ultimate in decadence and….guess what else? EASE! This is the easiest cake on earth to make. Never have you stopped a show with so little effort.

This recipe came from my sister in law, Stacey. Stacey married into our family about ten years ago. We kind of feel sorry for her from time to time, being married into our brood and all, but since she had been a guest at my sleepovers as far back as third grade, she clearly came in with her eyes wide open. She has learned to adapt quite well to the vast quantities of food we turn out everytime someone blinks funny and she has resigned herself to the possibility that being married to a Davis is not conducive to making it back to that size zero bikini. She has also done the one thing that we all must do eventually: learn to cook just like Mama.

Stacey is a GREAT cook. Thing is, she didn’t cook at all for the first half of their marriage (she was a working mom). Once she quit her job to raise the spawn of Bill (my two sweet nephews, but spawn of Bill sounds better), she took up cooking and made up for lost time. Now Stacey makes the best fried apple pies in the state and she frequently spends a day making twenty or so full sized cakes for my brother’s catering jobs.

Still, as good a cook as Stacey is, her shining contribution to our family’s good eatin’ will always be The Butterfinger Cake. Did you hear an angelic choir when I said that? Butterfinger Cake. There it was again!

You will need: Devil’s Food Cake Mix (The cheaper the better, we want a good old coarse cake), Can Sweetened Condensed Milk, Caramel Topping, Cool Whip, Butterfinger Bar

My brother, Bill, took these pics and Stacey made the cake. She has such a large, open, bright and sunny kitchen. Not that I’m jealous or anything. I love my 6×8 dungeonesque walk in closet with appliances. Really, I do. ~Sighs~

Prepare cake according to package directions. When it comes out, poke holes all in it with a fork, just like we did on the Elvis Presley cake. Don’t stop til it looks like a swarm of four toothed mosquitoes attacked!

Dang, I didn’t know Stacey had the Fire King 9×13 dish. Those were issued in 2000 and didn’t stay on the market long. I got a bowl, but never the dish. I really want the dish now. :(

Pour entire can of sweetened condensed milk and jar of caramel topping into bowl or glass and stir to combine.

You know what negative people need? A BIG OLD BITE of this cake shoved right in their mouth to sweeten them up! When they come up for air, shove another bite in! Hey, come to think of it, if y’all have any negative or grouchy people in your life, you really should make them this cake today. Honestly, surprising them with this cake might just turn them around. It would at the very least cause them to take pause and look at you in a renewed light. Killing folks with kindness really does work. I swear it. I’ve tried it and been successful every single time.

Where was I? Oh yes. While the cake is still hot, pour the caramel/condensed milk all over the top and spread it around evenly. Then let it soak in. Oh my good lord almighty, this is gonna be good.

Crush your butterfinger bar.

I had to look at this a minute before I was able to figure out what it was. At first, I thought Stacey had sent me a photograph of a bowl of cereal for some reason.

Sprinkle 3/4 of butterfinger crumbs over cake. Now let it cool a bit. I stick mine in the fridge at this point.

Waiting is really hard because I have got you wanting to eat it real bad at this point, don’t I? Oh just wait, it gets so much better and you have to wait even longer! Oooh, now look whose being negative?

Alright, let me rephrase in a bright and chipper Mary Poppin’s voice “Oh just you wait, although it may still be a while until the cake is ready, the wait will be rewarded with such a delicious delight and you will have earned it through all of your selfless hard work! You’re such a good person for making this!”.

That was better. :D

Once it is cooled, top with the whole thing of whipped cream and remaining butterfinger crumbs. Refrigerate. Now, you can eat this now but it really and truly should get good and cold before you do.

Alright so go ahead and eat a bit now if you have to, but just promise me you’ll have another slice once it cools. You may even need to have two or three slices once it is good and cold so you can make sure you are tasting it fully as it would be quite rude to serve something to others which you have not adequately tasted – for their own good, of course.

Butterfinger Cake

Butterfinger Cake

• 1 box devil’s food cake mix
  • 1 bottle caramel topping
  • 1 can Condensed milk
  • 1 large tub cool whip
  • 1 Butterfinger bar

1. Prepare cake according to package directions. Immediately after removing cake from oven, poke several holes all over the top with a fork. Mix sweetened condensed milk and caramel together, pour over hot cake, spread it over the entire cake. Chill well. After cake has chilled completely, spread cool whip over the top and sprinkle crushed Butterfinger bar on top of cool whip.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. debbiecz says

Wow…it’s 5:45 am & I’m drooling while the cake bakes. I’m already planning the football menu, softball tailgating & a summer open house. Your recipes just MAKE me want to cook! Thank you, Thank you.

2. Maile says

We call it a “better than sex” cake, for adults, and the “best birthday cake ever” for kids ! We don’t mix the topping & milk, we pour the milk on first, let it soak in 5 minutes, then pour on the caramel topping And hot fudge topping, let that soak in a few minutes. We also buy the pkg of 8 count mini bars of butterfinger, 4 on the cake before going in the fridge; bring it out and cover with whipped cream and last 4 bars just before serving. And for Halloween we use red velvet cake, looks very like blood while eating, which appeals to the kids gross factor, lol. Be sure to store any leftovers in the fridge.

3. gale says

This looks outstanding. I can’t wait to make it. However, butterfingers are made of ground nuts so if there is anyone w/ a nut allergy, be forewarned, this is probably not the cake for them. Both my kids have nut allergies; just wanted to point this out.

4. fay says

Just made this cake…could hardly get it in the pan for finger licking all the ingredients…it looks so delicious…serving as surprise for hubby’s superbowl party tomorrow. thanks so much Christy/Southern Plate…..

5. Laurie E. Miley says

Well I Googled Butterfinger cake and found this site but I seen it at a different site before. Anyways I made this cake before and just wanted to make sure I had everything. The recipe I first seen did not mix condensed milk with caramel. Just pour milk over cake then caramel and crushed butterfinger bars. After cooled whipped cream ( I have heavy whipping cream to use ) then sprinkle mor crushed butterfinger bars with more drizzled caramel. Rich Rich Rich1 My son last 3 years want this cake for his birthday. He used to want my carrot cake till he found out that there was really ground carrots in the cake. This year he wants butterfinger cake plus coconut cream pie. So i have work to do cause I’m making twice baked potatoes, broccolli and swiss cheese bake and round steak cooked in port wine, onions, garlic, and beef broth, His favorite meal.

6. Dee from Tennessee says

A dear, dear friend —wah, I miss all my coworkers!! — just delivered this cake for my birthday (this year on Mother’s Day with my 85 yr old Mother~ sweet day!) — I hadn’t had a piece of her cake since I retired …..and oh how I had missed it!! My husband and I devoured it!! And….then my stepsister brought me/us a lemon cake with fondant icing with strawberry/lemonade cream cheese filling…..WONDERFUL too. Those two cakes (and the dear ppl who took the time to make them!) made turning 63 (ACCCKKKKK!!!) sweeter for sure!!!

7. Melody says

I brought some of this cake to school and my friends LOVED it!!!! They raved on and on about how that cake was heaven on earth. They’ve been begging for me to make it again. This recipe made me the most popular girl in my crew. THANKS!!

8. Allison says

Has this been done in cupcake form yet? I’m throwing my best friend a baby shower on saturday. Its themed and I have the themed cupcake papers. Her pregnancy craving this time round is Butterfingers. Do you think it would be fine as a cupcake? I think my main concern is that it might be too liquidy, and be mush. If I don’t get a reply I’m just gonna go for it. I’ll probably only fork it 3 times in the center. I’ll let you know if it works out. I’m excited to surprise her with butterfinger cupcakes.

9. Bertha says

I have made this cake lots of times and it is delicious. I do mine just a little bit different. I just pour the condensed milk down into the cake, then cover it with caramel and chocolate topping. Then I put the cool whip on and cover it with more caramel and chocolate topping, just drizzling it over the cool whip then top it with the butterfinger bars or toffee bars. It is wonderful.

10. Bonnie says

I made it Christy and everyone loved it. I have made one almost like it , but you put chopped up Heath bars on it. I will be making yours again very soon. Thanks for the recipe

11. Dawn says

I’ve made this cake “as directed,” and as a layered cake, and each time, people comment that it’s the BEST cake they’ve ever had! I’m going to try it cupcake style for a bake sale.. so excited!!

12. Melody P. says

Hi Christy!
    I’m one of six kids and this year everyone was at my parent’s home for Christmas, plus spouses and my two adorable nephews. We had 12 people total. I made this cake Saturday and it was a big hit! So yummy and delicious! Thanks for the good recipes. I love reading your blog and trying recipes and I really love that they are easy make and involve simple ingrediants.

13. Shelbi says

I’m making this cake for the kickoff game for the guys and I’m so excited to see how it turns out! I’ve got it in the fridge now, actually. If it turns out good then I plan on making a few for my wedding!

14. Pam D. M. says

YUMMMy YUM, A few of us here call this cake ( Better Than Sex Cake ) . So moist and such a variety of flavors. If you havent tried, What are you waiting for?? It will flat knock your socks off..

I’ve made this cake twice over the past couple of years. Unfortunately, my husband doesn’t care for it- I think mostly because he misses the frosting. I’m seriously considering making it for my birthday next month! Normally I would not make a dessert that my husband doesn’t enjoy, but if ya can’t have what ya want on your birthday, when can you have it?! Mmm, wish I had a slice of it now!

16. Karen says

My family loves this cake! I am actually baking one now for my sisters birthday! Was wondering how butterscotch ice ream topping would taste? I think I will try it….will update later! Lol *~*