How to tell if you can still use those outdated eggs in your fridge…

From time to time, I like to post little tidbits and hints for all of y’all wonderful people who are kind enough to read my blog. This one has been quite handy for me and is thanks to that $40,000 Home Ec degree I have (which has served me well as wall adornment) so might as well spread the wealth!

Ever have an egg in your fridge and you weren’t sure if it was still good or not? There is an EASY way to find out. As eggs go bad, gases are produced inside the egg. As those gases are produced, the egg becomes more and more buoyant.

Here’s what you do!

Fill a glass with water, place your egg inside.

• If the egg sinks to the bottom, it is still good and will be for some time.
  • If the egg floats to the middle of the glass, it is still good but needs to be used soon.
  • If the egg floats all the way to the top, you need to throw it away.

I swear knowing this is going to really impress someone at some point in your life.
Heloise hasn’t got anything on me :)

Comments

1. Mommy's Kitchen says

Oh I forgot to post i saw you were posting a crock pot lasaga recipe. I cant wait. I have a skittlet version so yours will be interesting. I have to admit i am almost embarrassed that i am posting so much on your blog i feel like a post junkie…… Hi my name is Tina and i am a Southern Plate Post Junkie whew i got that off my chest. I think i need serious help Christy. (((Hugs)))

2. Southern Plate says

~grins and puts a fresh bowl of candy out to keep luring Tina back~

You’d better not stop posting! I gotta know where you are at all hours in case I get that show on food network and have to call my first guest!

3. Donna, aka. Yellow Jeep Blonde says

I never knew that! I learn something new everyday. I can’t wait to tell my mom and also ask her why she never taught me such a thing. I’m going to experiment.
    I like these little tidbits of information.

4. Stephanie says

I’m impressed. I’ll make sure to use my new knowledge sometime in the future. :-) I want to go put an egg in some water right now, but wouldn’t you know it – it’s grocery day and we’re out of eggs!

5. Caitlin says

Wow! I just stumbled across your blog today and I cannot believe how many great things you have here! This little tip is going to save me big- my boyfriend buys eggs by the crate (literally) because he is a body builder and requires so much protein per day. But, like most other uneducated egg cookers, we always threw our outdated eggs away without thought. I’m so glad there is a way to possibly save our egg stash!

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the tip!! I am sad to say that I have this dilema far to often at my house and I am usually to cheap to throw them out. I usually just convince myself that the month old eggs are just fine, my husband will be glad for this tip too!:)

Hey, I jumped over here from tip junkie. Can I just say, THIS IS A FREAKIN AWESOME TIP!!! I usually just stare the egg trying to figure out if it is good or not. That doesn’t so much work.
    Thanks tons!!

Awesome tip! We have a dozen backyard chickens and when we don’t sell eggs regularly we sometimes get way too many in the fridge. I always wonder how long they’ll be good for so it’s great to know a way to check!

Thanks for the tip!

9. Brenda says

Thank you! You saved me a trip to the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving…which I so much try to avoid…but even in my careful planning, I found my eggs were outdated. But thanks to you I know they’re still good! YIPPEE

10. Sandman says

I just binged the following question:

eggs outdated how long are they good for

You were the first page that appeared and I am glad for that.
    I love to cook, but at times wondered how one checks eggs.
    Your information was great and helpful. I think I might just
    have to research more from your site, never know what else I might
    learn.

-The Sandman

• Sandra C in Moulton, AL says

Welcome to Southern Plate, Sandman. You will find wonderful recipes and step-by-step picture tutorials. Sweet tea, white sauce for chicken(North Alabama favorite), banana pudding, Dixie cornbread, chicken and dumplings, and even how season your cast iron skillets. Hope you enjoy your visit at Southern Plate.

11. Betty L. in Tn. says

Thank you Dahling, I am going to go check
    my eggs right now. I have often wondered
    if I am using one to old. I am still good
    at my age , so I thought my eggs ought to
    be good , too. Just kidding. *smile*
    We have a snow storm coming this weekend
    and I hope it doesn’t make the power go
    out like we had the last of Dec/ first of
    Jan. Got to get Groceries in.

• Nan says

Betty, what part of TN are you in? I am in NE AR and from what I can tell the freezing line runs right here. LOL We live in a small town so we only get weather from Memphis, Little Rock or Jonesboro so nothing really LOCAL. I am headed to the store this evening though to stock up. We moved here from MA last summer but I understand there was a big ice storm last year too.

Speaking of eggs, a fun science project for little ones to do is to put an egg in a glass of water and start adding salt. Let them see what happens. When my youngest was in K or 1st grade she had to do a science project and I found this one. She won the first place trophy because she was able to explain why it happened even though her experiment was much less complicated than the ones the parents built! LOL

• Betty L. in Tn. says

Nan, are you the one that sent me a friend request?? Is your
        name Sandra C.
        I live in upper north east Tn. near Va. and N.C. I live in
        Johnson City and it is a town of about 60,000 or more within
        city limits. I love it here surrounded by Mountains. I live
        about 100 miles N.E. of Knoxville.
        I have a first Cousin that lives in a surberb of Memphis.
        I am a retired nurse who is still working. LOL Well, part
        time . I love it and can’t give it up completely .
        Let me know if you are the one who sent me the friend thing
        as she said that she sent me a note on SP and this is the
        only one I found.
        Have a good day and hope the snow doesn’t come as bad as
        they predict. A wet snow which can cause a lot of damage
        and power outages. Take care. B.L.

12. Terri go Dawgs says

Hi Christy a.k.a Sista C,
    Since I am craaaazy about getting and using tips and I found Southern Plate through TipNut website, I am tickled to find a way to be certain that my eggs are in the food-safety range. Nothing is worse to me than getting food poisoning and ~gasp~ having served others to make them sick too.
    So, point to your diploma on your wall and say to it “Ed-u-macation ROCKS!” tee heee. I am so glad you went to college to help me today. Yipppeeeee. Love ya. T.

this is a tip I will use. We always buy a lot of eggs over the holidays. When all the baking is done and the holidays pass, I always have a few eggs I am not really sure about. Now I will know for sure. thanks for sharing. :)

14. Melissa says

SWEET! Thanks for this tid bit of info! I wil use this, with just me at the house most of the time eggs can sit in teh fridge longer than the date on the package…I can stop throwing them out now…Woo! Hoo!

15. Sandra C in Moulton, AL says

You were reading my mind. I meant to look it up last weekend and never got around to it. Now I can check the carton that got put on the bottom. I’m guessing that glasses are filling up with water all over the place. Let’s have fun checking our eggs!!!

16. Lynn says

I like to stock up on eggs when they are cheap. I rub some shortening all over them and put them back in their package and then store them in the basement. I ALWAYS do this test to make sure they are good. I have used eggs as much as 4 months from purchasing them and they have been fine! I have had a few float to the top, but not many.

17. Lori says

Thanks so much for info. I tested mine and only had two float to the top. I don’t think I will buy eggs from the wholesale clubs. 36 eggs are hard to use up quickly. Thanks again for the info.

18. Joann Drye says

I had a friend give me three dozen eggs not long ago because she thought they were too old.. I told her this is how to check them but she didn’t believe me and I have used every one of them, they are fine…….

I am sending this to her.. maybe she will believe you! thanks
    hugs jo in Oklahoma