This post was originally published in 2008, a month after I started blogging. I updated the images on this time honored crowd pleaser in May of 2017.
I first had Texas Caviar six years ago while briefly living in Georgia. It was love at first bite. With ingredients such as black eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, and fresh green onions, whats a Southerner not to love?
The name is apt, it truly is the caviar of the south. I serve mine with tortilla chips but many a person has been known to eat it simply with a bowl and spoon. However you decide to partake of it, this recipe combines the best of summer flavors and lets you spoon up the good life for you and your guests!
Feel free to substitute fresh tomatoes if you have them available to you!
- Drain all of your cans well and dump them one by one into a dishpan or a large mixing bowl.
- Chop up some fresh parsley and add that in there along with chopped green onions. Hint on the green onions: I just cut mine up with kitchen shears.
- Pour entire bottle of dressing over ingredients and stir.
- 2 green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cans black eyed peas (with jalapeno if available)
- 1 large can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans whole kernel corn
- 16 ounce bottle zesty italian dressing
- Drain cans well and pour contents into large mixing bowl or dishpan. Add chopped parsley. Cut onions and add. Pour dressing over all and stir well. Refrigerate. Sever with tortilla or corn chips.