Apple Orchard Snack Cake

We have a tradition each year which has held since I was old enough to remember. My entire family piles in the car and we drive to Toney, Alabama to pay a visit to Scott’s Orchard. As a child, I remember riding home in the back of the truck, munching on all varieties of fresh apples and trying to guess what Mama would bake first with our bounty.

We would buy several baskets of different varieties and once we got home, my mother would get to cooking. Each day, it seemed, there was a new apple dish waiting on us when we came in from school. We relished each and every one.

The year my son was born, we had to take him to Scott’s Orchard, even though he was only two months old at the time! However, though family traditions hold strong, they do get modified from time to time. Both of my children have made the fall trip to the orchard every year of their lives, although Isom’s in our hometown of Athens has won out on more than one occasion due to pure convenience. I highly recommend either of these orchards, or any apple orchard close to you this time of year. Locally grown apples truly are the absolute best when it comes to preparing your family’s favorite dishes. If you’re lucky, your orchard will have fresh apple cider slushes. With Isom’s being so conveniently located on Highway 72, we have been known to stop by several times a week when apple cider was coming in for this very reason!

I often find with recipes, as with memories, it is the simple things which satisfy us the most. This recipe is the perfect example of that. A classic snack cake that is not too sweet, the simple ingredients make it a breeze to throw together. Add in the full flavor of locally grown apples (preferably from a family orchard trip!) and you can’t go wrong. It is perfect for breakfast, with a cup of coffee while visiting friends, or any other time of day. I also think of it as the ideal after school snack

Ingredients are simple: Graham cracker crumbs, margarine, eggs, sugar, and apples.
The recipe also calls for walnuts, which I highly recommend. However, I am not including them in mine as the little people in my house have voiced their objection to having “those nut things” in their snack cake!
All of today’s photos are courtesy of my trusty iPhone due to the incident involving my digital camera and the Coca Cola Cake. Don’t worry though, I am being a very good girl and just know that if I brush my teeth and mind my manners, the camera fairy will come!
Melt margarine and pour into medium sized mixing bowl.
Add eggs.
Add sugar
Add graham cracker crumbs.
Peel and chop apples.
Add those.
Stir to combine.
Spray 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for forty to forty five minutes.
Remove from oven.
Sprinkle top liberally with confectioner’s sugar
So that it looks like this!
Slice and…..
feed the bears.
they’ll be glad ya did!

Apple Orchard Snack Cake

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Apple Orchard Snack Cake

• 1 C sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 to 3 apples, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 C butter or margarine, melted
  • 2 C graham cracker crumbs
  • 3/4 C chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Blend sugar, margarine, and eggs in bowl with a spoon.
  2. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, apples, and walnuts until blended.
  3. Spread batter into greased 8×8 pan.
  4. Bake at 350 for forty to forty five minutes or until firm to the touch.
  5. Sprinkle liberally with confectioner’s sugar.
  6. Cool and then cut into squares.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

For more information about Alabama grown products and to find an Alabama orchard near you, visit www.buylocalalabama.com

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Stephanie says

That looks really yummy! Up here in the north, apple-pickin’ season hasn’t quite started yet, but you’ve got me looking forward to it so much!

So sorry about your camera. That really is too bad. But we’ve all learned the valuable lesson to keep the strap on the wrist when taking hazardous pictures!

2. April in CT says

Dang girl! That iPhone takes pretty darn good pictures!

That is a wonderfully simple recipe. I’ve got some graham cracker crumbs that need to be used and this is just the way to do it.

3. Mommy's Kitchen says

Christy that cake looks great. I love the addition of the graham cracker crumbs. My kids are the same “no nuts” they hate the texture. By the looks of Bradys face i know its good. Another recipe to try. I have so many to make.

4. Southern Plate says

Y’all, I swear I am not losing my mind. I responded to a bunch of comments on this thread right before I left to go to the post office while ago and now ……where did my response go?
    Alright so maybe I am losing my mind!

Stephanie: our apple season doesn’t start for a few weeks either, but we do have some coming in now and I wanted to get these out there! I am ITCHING for fall after all of this summer heat!!! :D
    You’d have more sense than to drop your camera like I did, I’m sure!!!

Del Sisters: you two have a great blog! Thank you so much for reading Southern Plate!

April: it does do a pretty good job, doesn’t it? I just love graham crackers, in pretty much anything, don’t you?

Scraphag: You know, I’m not entirely sure if it is in there or not! I have already got a list of several family recipes for book #2! I hope to do another one in a year or so that includes all of the family stories behind the recipes and such.

Cee: Apple cider………omg. Nectar of the gods, I tell ya!

Tina!!! Hey girl! I feel like we haven’t talked in weeks instead of days! LOL I’ve been so busy with apple week!!! I wish you lived close, I swear I’d put twenty pounds on you the first month just by sending food over!

~~~Katy calls, I’ll respond more in just a few!~~~

5. Southern Plate says

Laura! WOW THANK YOU!!! That was so nice of you! I will post it today. I also have two older ones I still haven’t posted!! I am such a bad blogger sometimes.
    I missed where you had featured the pizza rolls, thank you for that! I’ll be sure to put it in the next newsletter!

BillGent: How did the doc go yesterday? thanks for the kudos, Brady is such a great kid.

Belle!! THANK YOU!!!! I have been back to your blog several times already!!! Your daughter is just lovely. Chemistry in college was a challenge for me as well. Tell her one thing for me if you will :In lab, when you are bending glass tubing with the burners and they tell you not to touch the tubing you have already bent because it is extremely hot – believe them.
    ~grins~

6. Stephanie says

My daughter and I made this snack cake this morning. I haven’t let her have a piece yet, because she isn’t done with lunch, but I’ve already eaten two pieces! It’s delicious! And of course, after Zaylee finishes eating her lunch, she will have a piece of cake and love it as much as I do. :-)

Yeah, absolutely every recipe of yours I’ve tried has turned out wonderful. You are so great!

7. Stephanie says

This is funny – When my husband got home from work this afternoon, he saw the apple cake on the counter. When I told him it was Apple Orchard Snack Cake, he was like, “Ooh, that sounds good.” Then I added, “From Southern Plate.” He gasped, smiled, and said under his breath “Yes!

See? Your recipes are infamous at our house! :-)

8. Anonymous says

I am so upset that I did not double this recipe. It was gone within 10 minutes of pulling it out of the oven. I thought I would be able to have another piece when the kids went to bed, not going to happen.

9. Dorothy says

Christy, I just recently stumbled upon your website, I love it, keep those recipes coming!! I have tried several and my hubby and grandson, just love them. Thank you, there’s nothing on earth better than southern food. Sincerely, Dorothy

10. Laurin says

Ok, these were absolutely WONDERFUL! My 2 year old and I ate 1/2 the pan in about an hour. : ) We won’t talk about who ate the most between the two of us! Thanks for all your wonderful recipes, Christy!

11. Emily F. says

I made this Saturday after going to the North Georgia apple orchards. I was surprised that it cooks up cake-like. It reminded me of a banana foster flavor…and I wonder if bananas would taste good in it. I skipped the powdered sugar and added the nuts.

Yummy!!! Easy peasy too!!

12. Lori says

What kind of apples did you use? I get frustrated when a recipe calls for “apples” and they don’t say which kind. I looked up an apple chart to see which kind is best for fried apples and all the chart said was sweet or tart. How do I know which ones will hold their shape and which ones turn to mush (Granny Smith). Humm, this must be why I prefer CHERRY pie !!! This cake looks fast and easy— just what I need during football season!

13. Teresa says

Reading some of these posts is making me a little homesick. I’ve lived in Louisiana for 30 years, but I grew up in North Georgia. My family is from Ellijay – Apple Heaven. After eating apples straight from the orchards, few store bought apples measure up. Maybe I’ll try this recipe with “store boughts” anyway!

14. Connie Turner says

Christy, I grew up in Athens Alabama and Isom’s is where we always got peaches and apples! They always had the BEST. I love the white peaches they have but the best is getting their ‘ use right away’ peaches and making a fresh peach pie. Yummy!

15. Maegen says

Just pulled this out of the oven. This morning, my intent was to make an apple pie but didn’t have enough apples for a full pie. I knew if I went to your cookbook I would find something…It smells so good. I can’t wait to try it. :)

16. LaNita Cook says

Christy, I am not a great fan of graham cracker crumbs so I crush my Vanilla Wafers instead. I am so much of an apple person, can’t wait until apple week..thanks love your recipes and the love you have for your family…

17. Barbara Miller says

we used to go to the apple orchard in shady valley, tn and pick up a pick-up truck load of apples every fall. someone bought the property and no one is allowed any more. we go to roan mountain, tn now and buy a few apples at the orchard stands but it isn’t the same as gettin to pick up your own and trying to remember where your fav apples are. this recipe makes the best apple cake. it is sooooo moist. i make extra and leave some in my mail box for my mail man. he usually gets to my house about lunch time!

18. Doris Flowers says

This is for Lori. Have recently been cooking with some Yellow Golden Delicious Apples and they cook up real well. Taste good and do hold their shape. Made some good fried ones with butter and sugar (either kind) plus a little cinnamon. The snack cake looks great, guess I’ll have to try it.