My mother has always called this Better Than Robert Redford cake. No disrespect to Mr. Redford, but in 2008, I feel its time for a new name. I have often heard it referred to as Better Than S__ Cake, but I am not really keen on actually saying that. I mean, I need a name I can actually use around the children. This is where you come in.
It pretty much goes without saying that I love this cake. I make it a point not to post any recipe that I don’t love (Which is why you will never see a tuna or shrimp recipe on my blog, at least not authored by me – sorry seafood lovers!).
My mother first made this when I was in middle school and she has always chosen the low fat, sugar free, or light versions of ingredients, as do I. I don’t necessarily do this for health purposes though, I just do it so I can eat more with no guilt! The buttery pecan crust is divine, add a layer of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cool whip mixed together? I’m sooooooo in! Add some thick chocolate pudding on top? Oh yeah! Make that pudding sugar free? YEAH BABY!
( For those of you interested in notes from my Disney trip, you can view them here! )
- 1 Cup flour (crust)
- 1 stick margarine or butter, melted (crust)
- ½ Cup chopped pecans (crust)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (filling)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar (filling)
- 1 cup whipped topping (Buy a 12 ounce tub, reserve remainder for topping) (filling)
- Pudding layer
- 2 Large boxes instant chocolate pudding (sugar free or regular) (pudding layer)
- 5 Cups mlk (whole, skim, or nonfat) (pudding layer)
- Mix all crust ingredients together until well blended. Press into bottom of 9x13 inch dish. Bake at 350 for twenty minutes. Cool completely.
- For filling, Beat cream cheese and sugar in medium bowl until fluffy. Fold in one cup of whipped topping. Spread over cooled crust.
- For the pudding layer, Beat pudding and milk together until thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.