Homemade Thousand Island Dressing

If you like Thousand Island Dressing, here is your warning: tasting this homemade dressing will officially ruin you for all other versions.
We eat this on hamburgers, salads (of course), dip carrots in it, celery sticks, I have been known to just go to the fridge with a spoon from time to time just to taste it!
This is Thousand Island at its freshest, creamiest best. I am serious, do NOT make this if you want to fall back on those store bought versions. You will rue the day Kraft ever decided to desecrate such a wondrous invention.

You’ll need: Chili sauce, mayonnaise, pickle relish, three or four boilied eggs, and some finely diced onion.

Place mayo in a bowl. That looks kind of gross, doesn’t it? Hang in there, I promise the outcome will be DIVINE!

Pour in your onion.

Dice up your eggs and add them in there.

Add chili sauce. I didn’t add the whole bottle, you can go by the recipe on the perfect amount.

Add pickle relish, again amount according to recipe.

Stiry stiry

Until you are left with the most delectable thousand island dressing you have ever, in your life, tasted.
Thousand Island Dressing

1 Quart Mayonaise
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
7 ounces chili sauce
4 ounces pickle relish
1 ounce minced onion (I used 1 tsp)
2 1/2 ounces chopped fine pimento (see note on pimento)

Blend well and refrigerate overnight (you may add a little milk if you want yours thinner).

Note on pimento: I bought pimento, I paid for pimento, I brought pimento home. I could not find pimento. I could not find it in my house, I could not get it from a mouse. I could not find it here nor there, I could not find it anywhere! Therefore, I left out pimento. I couldn’t tell a bit of difference, either!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my week in DISNEY WORLD!! I have written up a series of great posts to go up while I am away. They are all part of this one special meal my mom used to make us so be sure you stay tuned to watch the meal unfold! I will be checking in from time to time and responding to comments a little while I am away so don’t go quiet on me! I do hope you all have a wonderful week! I’ll tell Mickey “hi” for you!
You can follow my Disney reports and photos on my Twitter which is at the bottom left of this webpage.

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Southern Plate says

ooh I gotta make y’all some Milo’s comeback sauce sometime! I’m glad you like this too Deanna! Hope I spelled your name right, I’m on my phone and can’t double check myself!

Stephanie: we shipped your apron and cookbook via UPS yesterday!!

Hope y’all are having a good day!

2. Southern Plate says

dang. I’m hungry. Fast food is so unappetizing.
    I’ve got a can of silly string hidden beside me. I’m waiting for the kids to start arguing and then I’m gonna hose em down!! I can’t wait!

Of course, they have not argued once since waking up this morning. It’s strange to be hoping your kids will argue but I know how cool they will think it is when their mama sprays them with silly string while riding down the road!

I’m going to be getting us some recipes in Disney. Did you know that every Disney restaurant has some of their signature recipes printed on cards that they give out just for the asking?

3. Southern Plate says

hey donna! You are so right about the homemade stuff!

Christopher: it’s kinda like the sauce on a big mac, only done in a way mickey D’s never came close to! Let me know if you get to try it!:)

We’re officially in Florida now! Leslie, what’s for supper??

4. Pinky says

Hope you have a great vacation girl!!
    Guess what we are having for breakfast? You will laugh….homeade banana pudding, I promised the kids from your recipe! LOL Oh well its Saturday at least they will get bananas!

5. Cee says

Oh Christy, girl.. this recipe rocks… my mother used to make her own version of this and she used it in everything, even on her sandwiches like mayo… wonderful, and makes you just smack your lips…. Have a great time…. and let us know if they ever got silly stringed!!!!! LOL

6. Southern Plate says

Nik Texas Pete is a staple, I think! I LOVE it in my chicken stew! Don’t you think the boiled eggs just make this dressing? I have been known to double the amount called for when its just for me!

Jo haha! Do let me know if you get to try it and especially if you like it!!! I swear, it kills me not to be able to feed all of y’all! If I was rich, I’d just start a resort and have big old banquets every day!

Pinky I LIKE YOUR PARENTING STYLE!!! Banana pudding for breakfast sounds like pure dee heaven!! You know, every now and then, I surprise my kids with pepperoni pizza for breakfast! They think that is so cool!

Cee They DID get silly stringed and just as I was hoping, it stopped everything and had them laughing and yelling “Do it again! Shoot us again!”. I have another can for on the way home, but I think they will likely sleep most of that ride! We’ve just flat out wore them out this week!! LOL

Life at the lake I try to use mine within the week. The main think you have to think about is the eggs. If it weren’t for them, it would keep much longer. You can leave them out and keep it for about two weeks in the fridge, just adding eggs when you eat it. Make sure you add them, though, they are just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good in there!!!!!!

Grateful to every single one of you,

7. ThatgalJill says

I started making something similar this week… This was the “house dressing” my mom made while I was growing up – and I agree with the earlier poster I keep “coming back” until the salad bowl is empty when this dressing is on the veggies!

4 ingredients (although I can see where it would be yummy with the egg!)

ketchup
    mayo
    dill pickle relish
    red wine vinegar

stir together, toss over salad :)

I can tell from reading your momma’s recipte that is one delicious Thousand Island Dressing. I will be making it before the week is over. I only live about 25 miles from Disney World. Wish you could come for dinner.

9. Santa Hulk says

Hey Mrs. Christy from Santa Hulk,

It’s almost my time of the year, How is Santa Hulk going to come see you and leave presents if you are off to FLorida?
    Enjoy your trip, tell Mickey I said howdy…

Santa Hulk

10. Hogs'n'Quiches says

I use ketchup instead of the chili sauce and add cottage cheese to make it creamier. Just smoosh it with a fork to break it up. (I turned up my nose the first time someone told me he made it with cottage cheese but it works!) It’s so good!! I love it on a cold wedge of iceberg lettuce. :)