Cheesy Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled eggs are a breakfast and brunch favorite as an easy and affordable means of providing protein for a crowd with little effort. In the south, we often season ours with a little bacon grease to yield what my family calls “dirty eggs”, something my newphews and son dearly love! They are also great served with a little Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits!

For this recipe, I’m going to be making scrambled eggs for about twelve people (Alright, so my mother is actually doing it. For this recipe, I’m going to be writing about making scrambled eggs for about twelve people!). Crack your eggs into a bowl and add a little water. This will help them to cook up fluffy and light.
With a whisk, beat eggs and water together until smooth.
Heat two tablespoons of bacon grease (or vegetable oil) in a large skillet over medium heat.
Pour eggs in and continue cooking on medium heat.
Sprinkle about a cup of cheddar cheese over eggs.
After a few minutes, stir from the bottom. Let cook a few more minutes and stir again, repeating this until eggs are fully cooked.
You may salt and pepper them, according to your taste, while they are cooking or after they are finished.
Spoon into bowl!

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs

Cheesy Scrambled Eggs

• One Dozen eggs
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1/2 Cup cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Crack eggs into a bowl, add water. Beat with wire whisk until smooth. Pour into preheated skillet lined with two tablespoons of bacon grease or vegetable oil. Sprinkle cheese over top and continue cooking over medium heat. Stir from the bottom after a few minutes and let cook until done, stirring as needed. (serves 6)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be sure to join my email list in the top right corner of this page to receive a FREE eCookbook of Southern Plate Reader’s Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes as well an email of printer friendly versions of each recipe featured on Southern Plate that week!

Thank you for reading Southern Plate!

Comments

1. Donna says

I’m a Northerner but Every chance I get to order grits when I go out, I do so. Seldom are they served hot enough, so now with your lovely, inspiring photo journalism I’m gonna make my own along with some of those cheesy scrambled eggs!

You are a comfort with all your great offerings, not to mention comfort food!

2. Southern Plate says

Hey Betsy! Me too!! Protein is about the only thing my body likes me loving, to boot!! LOL

Kimberly Ooooh, or put ‘em on a piece of toast and top them with bacon and cheese and more toast… hehe!

Frank Thank YOU so much for reading!!

Donna Oh Donna, you are so very kind!!

I truly cannot thank you all enough. You are so good to me!

3. kingsqueen says

I’m not a big “egg person”, but my family is, so I’ve learned to do them well. Cheese in them is so yummy. My daddy taught me to put a little milk in them to make them fluffy. (but buttermilk or a little cream works good too!)

4. Stephanie says

I love how you spoon them into a bowl. I usually just serve mine the way my mom does – straight from the pan. But my grandmother always serves the scrambled eggs in a pretty serving bowl, and it just makes it so special!

As kids, we always loved dressing up our scrambled eggs by cooking cheese in. It’s so tasty!

5. Su says

You make scrambled eggs the way I do, without milk. I hate it with milk.
    I remember one time when I was little my old brother made me scrambled eggs after learning it in home ec class, he made it with milk and it was so terrible and runny.
    I much prefer them made this way, sometimes I don’t even whisk in a bowl, I just scramble them around in the pan. I also like the way the colour turns out when you do it like that! haha

6. Debra says

Cheesy scrambled eggs are my son’s favorite! He would eat them 3 times a day if he could. Actually my whole family loves them and people here in the North West rave over it when I make them. After they are cooked, I also sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top, cover with a lid and let that melt before dishing them up for everyone. Mmm, mmm good! When I am making them for myself I add some canned green chilis before cooking and then I eat them with salsa. Yum, I’m hungry now.