Pay Day Candy Mix (And The Varying Degrees Of Fits Thrown In The South)

I am posting this recipe so my Mama will stop having dying duck fits wanting me to.

Has your Mama ever thrown a fit? Have you ever thrown a fit? If you answered no to either one of those, you just can’t be a Southerner. You see, Southerners throw fits and we all have varying degree of fits, which are not “had” but “thrown“.

There is the classic hissy fit, which is rather mundane but still entertaining to watch. This is typically thrown by otherwise demure and well behaved ladies and consists mostly of high pitched voices being pitched even higher as hands wave around in the air and heads shake, sending dangly earrings bobbing after the jerky head movements.

Hissy fits aren’t that big of a deal unless combined with heat and humidity, then it can get ugly. A hissy fit might typically be thrown if you were about to have guests arrive for a party only to find that ice hadn’t been bought ahead of time or the sherbert in your punchbowl had already melted. The script for a hissy fit usually begins with “Oh lord! What are we gonna do now?!”

Cow fits are a bit more urgent, usually requiring some form of action to soothe the nerves of the fit thrower. One might throw a cow fit, for example, if you were running late for an appointment and discovered that your favorite heels had been chewed by the puppy. The cow fit script in this case would sound something like, “My shoes!! My favorite shoes!! Those were the ones I was going to wear today!”. Now dying cow fits require immediate action, but mainly just to get the fit thrower to hush so we can all have a bit of piece (In the interest of self disclosure, I am rather prone to cow fits due to my extreme lack of organization and ever growing to-do list, which wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t spend half my time looking for the dern list).

A duck fit is really one of the most minor fits but when it becomes a dying duck fit – you post the Payday Candy Mix recipe so you can get your Mama to stop quacking so much. ~grins~

The reason Mama wanted me to post this was because it has become quite the “pass along” idea among her quilting friends. Its like this fad all of a sudden, go to anyone’s house we know and you’ll see a pretty bowl (usually pressed glass) filled with this candy mix as soon as you step into the foyer (Which Southerners tend to pronounce “Four-yer” rather than the much more fashionable “Foy-yay”.). So see, her intentions were good, she wants y’all to have some of this candy, I just had other things on my plate and hadn’t got around to it until now.

If you like Payday candy bars, this is right up your alley because it tastes just like a payday, but is a heap prettier when presented in a nice little pressed glass bowl.

Oh this is gonna be an easy one. Peanuts and Candy Corn.
Whatever kind of peanuts crank your tractor.
Candy corn in bowl….
Peanuts in bowl….
Stir and eat!
This is perfect for little kids to mix up. It takes so little for a child to “own” making something and you’d be surprised at how proud they are of doing something like this.
Feeding little self esteems is a very easy task!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

1. Geraldine Valles says

Thank you so much for this fun and yummy recipe. I also bought my glass pumpkin at Walmart. You can now go and buy one in fall colors. They have them out now so hurry they do go fast. God bless you and your family and keep up the good work.

2. Sherry crutchfield says

I make this every fall except I ad raisins to mine! This year they are selling the candy corn and peanuts mixed together in a bag. I bought it but I don’t think there are enough peanuts in them. I bought a very cute owl bowl at Walmart last week that I put mine in.

3. Belinda Morgan says

Love this recipe! We also take peanuts and red hots candy and mix that together. (My fatherin-law got me hooked on that one) I just had a glass pumpkin given to me last week. Now, because of these posts, I am even more excited about using it. Happy Halloween y’all!!!

4. Kim in Minnesota says

Up here in the Northland, we find ourselves:
    - Warning folks, “Don’t have a cow!” – didn’t know this was shorthand for “cow fits!”
    - Calling this recipe a shortcut for Pearson’s Salted Nut Rolls. Similar to PayDay, but made right here in St. Paul, Minnesota. They’re a nougat loaf coated in caramel and rolled in peanuts. Yum.
    Maybe this recipe is why the grocer commented today that he can’t keep the candy corn shelf stocked – he thought it was early, but I think it’s just right.

5. Lisa White says

I just love growing up and still living in the South. I have had or seen all of these fits and I was sitting here reading your post and saying “yep that’s right”. I’ll give you a new one. A Morley fit. My maternal grandmother was a Morley and my Mom used to say Mamaw would have “a Morley fit”. You DON’T want to see one of those. Trust me. ;)

6. barbara miller says

hi, we say “foy-yer” round here cause we are close to the Mason-Dixon Line I guess and we tend ta blend things a bit. I know all about fits. my big sis has on of some kind every day over somethin’. <3 Pay day candy bars, so thanks for the recipe! gona pick up those ingredients my next trip to town. :)

7. Sandra Lamberson says

I have one of those glass pumpkin jars that I’ve had for several years…I always displayed it with silk fall leaves in and around it….NOT ANYMORE!!! bring on the peanuts and candy corn…I LOVE CANDY CORN…this will be my new fall display. Thanks Christy.

8. Lori says

This is so funny to me because the other day I l”threw”a small mental debate regarding the pronunciation of the word foyer for myself thinking back and forth
    On the two ways to say this. This was inspired by a stunning photo
    album of a home listing. My hissyfits are all internal as well, but I may have to
    put on some earrings and try one out!!

9. Stacey says

I love the south and I have both seen and thrown each of the fits you so perfectly described=) don’t you just feel sorry for all those folks who weren’t raised here =) love your site and all the recipes and stories

10. Chestine Oliver says

Christy, as a bona fide southern girl from Columbia, TN, and having family in Athens and Huntsville, I feel like I am kin to you. I just love your blog and the sayings you have. It makes me feel like I am back home. I have been on South Florida for the last two years and have found other true southern girls that have become like sisters to me. God does work in mysterious ways. I have ordered your new book and am anxious to get it. So happy your are improving and getting around better. God bless you for the work you do.

11. Carol says

When my sister or I was throwing a fit about something my daddy would ask us if we had fever with those fits. My youngest son would throw a “Farmer fit”. My Farmer in-laws said his temper was just like his daddy’s when he was little.

12. Ellen says

Well even deeper in the south it would be pronounced “faw-ya”. My friend from the low country of SC would say it just that way. A real southern belle…I love it! Thanks for the recipe, too! I can’t wait to try it! I know my kids at school will love it. Just the thought of it makes me want to run to the store right now! :)
    Glad you’re feeling better, too! Many prayers for your return to 100%!!!

13. Melissa says

Well, I’m a born-and-raised Southerner from “LA” (Lower Alabama) and I have to say I have never heard of a “cow fit”, let alone a “dying cow fit”. Now we are prone to say “don’t have a cow” or “don’t have a duck”, but that’s all. Of course we’ve all thrown “hissy fits”!!!

14. Diana says

Hi Christy! My Mother use to say, “She’ll throw a fit with a hole in it!” I figured it must be either be pitch a fit & jump through it with another fit or a fit you pitch in a circle! I didn’t know what it was, but tried not to make anybody ever put out one! And throw & pitch was interchangeable. She was from Tennessee. Lol! We say four-yer too! ( & worsh-wash) . We mix up what’s left, and put M & M’s, pretzel sticks & shoestring potato sticks with candy corn/autumn mix, & last year I got a glass pumpkin at Walmart!

15. Debbie in Hahira, GA says

“Are you havin’ a fever with those spells?” can be heard in our house. Passed down from the Arkansas side of the family. The ‘receep’ sounds like a winner! Can’t wait to try it.

I saw lots of clear and amber glass pumpkins at Wal-Mart over the weekend.

Keep mending and hope you’re up and about soon! :D

16. Ann Moore says

Gonna try this recipe today…sounds delicious!

More Suthen-ism’s:
    Only a Southerner knows the difference between a “hissie fit” and a “conniption fit,” and that you don’t “HAVE” them, you “PITCH” them. :)

17. Vicki says

I will have to try this! And it will be something pretty to display in my glass chicken for fall. I was in Cracker Barrell last week (no, I didn’t see you there lol!). And they were treating folks to samples of their new candy corn made with honey. It was very good! Would be the one I would use for this! Thanks again! I just love your stories and your recipes.

18. Jenn says

My daughter’s fav candy bar is Payday so you can imagine the distress when she got braces! Someone told us about this and she loved it! Tasted exactly like a payday and perfectly fine to eat with braces.

19. Carol says

Tried it last year and loved it. Didn’t dare make a second batch since I’m the only one here to eat it. We had hissy fits and duck fits, but haven’t heard of cow fits. I live in Arkansas and love using the Southern phrases my parents used. My adult sons still get a kick out of them. Hope they catch themselves using them with their kids someday.

20. Deb Z says

Okay, I’ll confess right up front that I’m a Northerner. So far from the Mason/Dixon line that I don’t even know where it is. I’ve heard of hissy fits – I had an aunt who defined the phrase. Where I’m lost is what makes a fit a dyin’ fit…

I’m also afraid that I dislike candy corn – I have no idea why but once in a while I try one just to confirm and yep, I hate ‘em. Suffice it to say I won’t try this recipe for myself but maybe I’ll make it for the folks at work. Is this a Southern thing because I’ve not heard of it before.

I do love your blog though and reading about all the Southernisms – makes me want to visit the South just to see what I’m missin’! :)

Well Deb we’re grateful to have you here! And I promise never to try to get you to eat Candy Corn if you promise not to try to feed me shrimp :)
      I imagine your life is much better without a dying duck fit!
      Hope you’re having a beautiful fall so far!
      CJ

21. Gennie Wynne says

I make mine with honey roasted peanuts – it amazing! And VERY addictive – as there is no way I can usually eat even a handful of candy corn – it’s too sweet. But add a bunch of honey roasted peanuts, and watch out!