Daddy’s Coconut Cake

This is my Dad’s favorite cake at Christmas time and Easter and its just divine beyond compare. Another great refrigerator cake, it can be made three days ahead of time and then left to sit in the fridge as it just grows moister with every passing minute.

Coconut around the Holidays is a tradition in the south, especially coconut cakes! Back in the old days that was the only time of year you could get such an exotic thing as coconut in these parts (well, in Alabama anyway!). Stay tuned later today when I am going to post a Christmas menu that will let you entertain a house full of guests with no virtually cooking and no takeout!

Y’all, this tutorial is what my photos look like when I bake after dark! Sun makes the best light and without it,  you get…well this! However, I think you can still tell how yummilicious this cake looks so use your imagination and let the rest be well lit and high grain!

For the complete listing of all recipes I have posted to the Holiday Baking Category

(including gift mixes), click here!

First,  you’re going to need to bake a yellow cake. Just get  a boxed mix like I do or use your favorite recipe. The cake isn’t that important as the icing is our key player here. I used a yellow boxed mix and made it according to package directions.

Now, while that is warm, we need to assemble our icing. You’ll need: Coconut, whipped cream, sour cream, and sugar.

Place all icing ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Mix until well blended.

Poke holes all in warm cake with a fork.

Let cake cool for about ten minutes and then pour icing over it (it will still be warm).

Spread over, cover, and refrigerate! You can make this as a layer cake but I find it is much easier to deal with (and store in fridge) as a sheet cake.

YUM!!!!!

Daddy’s Coconut Cake

Daddy’s Coconut Cake

• 1 box yellow cake mix, prepared according to directions in a 9x13 inch pan
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 1 1/2 C whipped topping
  • 16 ounces sour cream
  • 12 ounces coconut (you can use frozen, bagged on shelf, or canned)

1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions in a 9x13 inch pan. Combine sugar, sour cream, whipped topping, and coconut. Blend well and chill.
  2. Poke holes all over top of warm cake and pour icing mixture over cake (after it has rested in pan about ten minutes).
  3. Cover well and refrigerate 1-3 days before serving. Store in refrigerator.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am behind on emails, comments, and sending recipes out! I wanted to thank  y’all for being so understanding! So much to do and this is the only time of year a lot of these things happen. The kids are having a great time and I’ll get caught up after Christmas! Love y’all!

Merry Christmas!

Comments

1. Donna says

OOPS! I failed to read the comments and used powdered sugar instead. It’s in the fridge now–hoping to serve it to friends on Saturday. Wish me luck that it turns out okay. I also had quite a bit of icing left over. I might put an extra dollop on top when I serve to our guests. Has anyone else made this same sugar error???

2. Janice Spitzer says

Christy when I opened your page and saw “Daddy’s Coconut Cake” I immediately thought “we must have grown up in a parallel universe”. You already gave me back mama’s potato cake recipe now you’re going to give me Daddy’s too! My Daddy was from MS and loved to cook. He made a great coconut cake that was layer & layers high and never needed toothpicks to keep it together. (He also taught my Mama how to cook!) Thanks for bringing back that memory!

3. myra tanner boozer says

Thanks for “Daddy’s Coconut Cake” receipe . I have just made Strawberry and pineapple punch that will come out as a slush and it is good……but will be great with this cake….I’m making this for my sister’s open house Sunday…..she has a most beautiful Gift shop called Gina’s on Broad street in Scottsboro will be from 1;00 until 5;00….would love to see you and your family there ….soooo many beautiful christmas trees……..some say just as pretty as Gattlinburg or prettier…..Oh, maybe you could come for a book signing sometime, she would love that….

4. Fran in CA says

For major holidays I grew up with my mother making a fresh coconut cake. Now that I have a family and my mother has passed away her recipe for making a fresh coconut cake is something I now make, frosting it with 7 Minute Frosting and putting freshly grated coconut between the layers, on the top and the sides. It’s so gorgeous it looks like it’s been snowed on! I was curious to see how “Daddy’s Coconut Cake differed from my mothers. It sounds so interesting I’m going to make “Daddy’s Coconut Cake” during the upcoming holidays. My fingers are still crossed my name is chosen to win one of the delightful prizes to be given away!

• Sherrie Briscoe says

I just made this cake for a get together but I used one
      can cream of cocount and one can condenced (sweetened milk)
      You mix them together really well. Then pour over cake
      When cake is done and still warm. You can mix some of your
      Coconut with cool whip or just put cool whip on top and add coconut
      To it last.

5. Marcia says

Christy, I love coconut. But no one in my family will eat it. So for
    Christmas, I took your recipe, added peppermint extract, and crushed peppermint. It was wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

6. Sarah Boothe says

I am making this over the weekend. I could not stand to even look at coconut or even pineapple until I was over 40; now at 54 I cannot not get enough of them. I guess I am making up for lost time!