One Dish Pork Chops, Part of a GREAT Good Morning!

dscn4009With the weekend coming up, we all need a little break in the kitchen! This dish is both filling and delicious and if you happen to be an early bird, it can be very economical, too!

When was the last time you did your grocery shopping first thing in the morning? So many of us tend to go in the afternoon or evening, but going first thing in the morning  gives you a chance to pick up one of your most expensive items on the cheap! I often stop by the grocery store right after I drop my daughter off at preschool at least twice a week just to bargain shop. As a result I rarely, if ever, pay full price for my meat.

This dish is brought to you this week thanks to an incredible bargain I found on boneless, thick cut pork chops. My husband has always loved this meal and I have always loved things that are thrown together in a dish and turn into dinner on their own!

Now I know full well that many of you are likely not morning people. However, I’ve always been. I LOVE the mornings! I wake up happy and singing and ready to go! My record skips a bit as the rest of the family starts to rise though. As a cruel twist of fate, I am surrounded by two morning grumps and one semi-morning person. How do I combat this? The exact same way my mother did, with a SONG!!

This is my FAVORITE Good Morning song! I actually have a repertoire of three good morning songs but this one is a no fail solution to starting your day off right. Sometimes, I sneak in the den and pull up this video on the computer, then I turn the speakers up as high as they will go and BLARE IT to wake everyone up! ~giggles~ I know, I’m awful, but it sure is fun and I know they’ll look back and grin when they remember those mornings!

My mother did much the same thing, only at a much earlier hour than I do. Every school morning, my door would BURST open about five a.m., slamming against the wall as Mama entered with an arm outstretched like she was in a broadway musical and she’d belt out her good morning song “It’s time to RISE and SHINE! Tell the world HELLO! Give a big three cheers to the people you KNOW!”. I tried to find a video for that one but it has eluded me. I think it was originally from the Mickey Mouse Club, though.

Mama thinks its fun to ask me to sing the Good Morning song on the speaker phone of her cell when she is away on quilting retreats – because I always will! I don’t have much of a singing voice, but I make up for quality in volume and gusto! A note to readers: Don’t ever ask me to sing because I will! I especially can’t resist requests for “Row, Row, Row your Boat” sung backwards, Modern Major General (of which I know ALL the words!), and this Good Morning song (from Singin’ In The Rain).

Either way my point is, start your day off right, start it with a song and an expectation of great things to come. Each day is a great day waiting to happen! Now lets make pork chops for dinner tonight!

dscn3963

You’ll need: Cream of mushroom soup, Ro-Tel, Small bag of Mahatma yellow saffron rice, and four pork chops.

I used mile Ro-Tel because I have little kidders who don’t care for that occasional zing of spiciness. If you don’t have Ro-Tel where you are, just get a small can of diced tomatoes (8-12 ounces) and a small can of chopped green chilies (about 4 ounces). You can experiment with different types of rice and don’t feel as though you need to go buy this type if you happen to have white rice on hand – I’m a big fan of “making do” – which is the cornerstone of Southern cooking anyway. If you want to use another type of rice, use about a cup dry.

Now for my bragging session! Did you SEE the price on those pork chops? EIGHT for that! When you find meat on sale like this, just make sure you either cook it or freeze it that day. I often find packs like this and make a meal for the family while freezing individual pork chops in sandwich baggies to use for lunches and such later on. For this package, I actually made two dishes of One Dish pork chops. We ate one for supper that night and the other was dished out into four separate meals for lunches during the week for whoever wanted one.

I cooked the two meals separately though so y’all could see a single recipe in this tutorial. See how much I love you? I really do!

dscn3976

Place your pork chops in a dish. In the south, this is pronounced “poke chop”. ~grins~

dscn3977

Pour your uncooked rice over the chops.

dscn3974

In a bowl, place the amount of water that your rice calls for. Add can of Ro-Tel.

dscn3975

Add cream of mushroom soup. Stir all of that up.

dscn3978

Pour over pork chops.

dscn3981

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. The recipe always says thirty minutes but I’m paranoid and I like to cook mine longer. Also, at times my rice hasn’t been done at thirty minutes.

YUM! This makes great leftovers as well!

One Dish Pork Chops

One Dish Pork Chops

• Four Pork Chops
  • 1 small bag Mahatma Yellow Rice with Saffon Seasonings (or other rice of your choice)
  • 1 can Ro-Tel
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup

1. Place pork chops in bottom of baking dish. Pour rice over. Mix cream of mushroom soup, Ro-tel, and amount of water called for in Rice together in a bowl. Pour over chops. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for thirty minutes (up to forty five if rice or chops need longer).
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Tracy from Columbiana, Alabama says

YEA!!!!!!!!!!! I am the first one. These look so good. Our Piggly Wiggly had pork lions on sale last week for $1.00 a lb. So I was able to get two good packs and seperated them out to have four meals our of them. My grandmother had given me a similar receipe over the holidays. It did not have the Ro-tels in it. But I will be adding them the next time. I know this will be our Sunday Dinner this week. I think I will have fried cabbage and a squash cassarole with it. I like to cook enough on Sunday to get me by on Monday. Have a blessed weekend and Happy Cooking :o)

2. Cherrill says

So funny that you posted this recipe when so many of us are in a pork mood. I just purchase some chops. Now I have a new recipe to try. I must say I’ve tried one of your recipes everyday it seems. Today will be the M&M Oatmeal bars, and maybe the chops…

WOW! You’re my overachiever, and you get a golden star! lol
      I LOVE when people try SP’s recipes, because nothing thrills me more than getting to feed people! This is just a roundabout way of doing it! lol

I am warning you on those oatmeal bars, get ready to settle in and put on the feed sack, those puppies are irresistible!

3. Sonya M. says

When I saw the subject of today’s article and the photo, I assumed the yellow stuff on the pork chops was eggs! I thought it was a breakfast casserole like they serve at bed & breakfasts.

I love that song! I have a thing for musicals! I had an embarrassing collection of second hand Rogers and Hammerstein records in high school. Oh, and Rocky Horror Picture Show! I was such a geek! :-) I can sing worth a darn either, but I love to do it! If I were ever going to be on a game show, it would be that “Don’t Forget The Lyrics” one!

4. Nancy Waugaman says

It really is a strange world after all. I thawed out some boneless chops yesterday, looked thru your cookbook and fixed this for dinner. Can I say YUMMMMMMMMMMMY. This is absolutely a keeper. My grocery store had whole pork loins on sale last week for a $1.19 a pound. So needless to say we bought 2 and have 3 nice roasts and tons of boneless pork chops. Keep up the good work Christy, we love you

Nancy in PA

5. Norma in North Carolina says

I have this baking now, except I am using boneless chicken breasts. They were on sale at my grocery store.

Love your recipes, Christy! I tell everyone about your website.

6. Teri in Hartselle AL says

You continue to add great dishes. This looks great. The first look at the picture I thought if had bacon bits on top. I almost did not read it.

I do not like fake bacon, something about the smell. :P

Hope you have a great day.

You would laugh if you could see me not. I am at the hunting club waiting to go in the woods and I am checking your site in full camo, even orage cap!

Wish me luck!

7. Becky-Sue says

I see I’m not the only mom who sings (loudly) to her kids in the morning! The one I belt out most often is:

Good morning, good morning, good morning
    It’s time to rise and shine!
    Good morning, good morning, good morning
    I hope you’re feeling fine!
    It’s time to get up, get out of bed
    It’s time to get up, you sleepy head
    The day is dawning just for you
    And all your dreams are coming true
    Doodly doo, doodly doo, doodly doo
    Good morning, good morning, good morning
    It’s time to rise and shine!

I think it’s from Bullfrogs & Butterflies…a children’s drama at my church when I was a kid.

Love this recipe. Def going to try it soon! Your chicken stew continues to be a fav in my house!

8. Dolores says

I have it in the oven right now . I followed the direstions to the T, its been in the oven for over an hour & its still very watery ! Could there be too much water ? I put in 1-2/3 cup because the recipe siad add the amount on the rice package . Its now cooking uncovered to dry the water up . Helppppp!

This is really odd, I am kind of at a loss here because it has always worked perfectly for me. I am going to post my response to another reader who had a problem and hope it helps!

Hey Beverly!

I took this one straight to my expert: Mama. She and I talked about this today. We have a few recipes where the rice cooks in the dish as everything else cooks and they have always turned out fine for us, however, there has to be a problem or it would have turned out fine for you, too!
      First off, I am so sorry this dish flopped for you.

Secondly, I’m gonna list a few things which could have contributed to it but are in no way your fault!

The number one thing we thought might have happened is if the dish was not sealed well enough as it baked, thereby allowing steam which was needed to help cook the rice to escape.

We also thought that maybe, perhaps due to something freaky like climate or flying monkeys, more water might be needed to help the dish perform in your kitchen as it does in ours.

The long shot would be a problem with the rice but I really think the steam escaping is the likeliest reason.

I hope these help and I truly apologize for you having problems with it! I promise I posted it exactly how I make it and have always made it in my own kitchen.

Sincerely,

9. Dolores says

I finally took it out of the oven after it had been cooking over an hour & took the aluminum foil off & continued cooking it until some of the liquid cooked down . I used the original Ro-Tel sauce but hubby complained it was too hot in spice . I like Mexican food & it was too hot for me too . If I make it again I will make my own sauce with stewed tomatoes & part of a can of diced green chilies .

10. Marsha says

These were wonderful!!! Definitely will be making them again and again. Like Delores, I had some problems with the liquid content, so next time I’ll use a little less than the rice pack called for.

11. Beverly says

I don’t know what I did wrong with this recipe. I used the 5 ounce size Mahatma Yellow Rice with Saffon Seasonings. I sprinkled the rice on the pork chops as directed. Mixed 1 2/3 cups water with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and Rotel Tomatoes. I cooked it for 1 hour and 5 minutes. The rice was still hard and the pork chops were unedible as they were not done. I did note that on the back of the Mahatma rice package it stated to boil the water. Should I have done that. Please, help me figure out what I did. Thanks!

Hey Beverly!

First off, I am so sorry this dish flopped for you.

Sincerely,

12. Andrea says

I made this a couple of nights ago, and I’m glad to learn I’m not the only one who had problems. I used 3 large skinless and boneless chicken breasts, which I pounded flat to help cook faster (I thought!). I used Mahatma brown rice, which always takes longer than the other types to cook, about 45 minutes, so I kept my dish in the oven a whole hour. When I checked it, the chicken was done and tender, but I had crunchy rice and lots of liquid. It wasn’t even bubbly hot, so I may have had a poor seal from my foil, like you suggested. Also, I began with cold chicken, cold liquids, and a cold stoneware casserole. Maybe next time I should preheat the dish, let the meat come closer to room temperature, and warm the liquids before combining it all to bake?

I did rescue my meal, by taking out the chicken and microwaving the rice and sauce another 15-20 minutes. It was yummy as leftovers the next day. Thanks for another good recipe!

13. peggy says

I also experienced the same problems with the amount of liquid and the cooking time. The taste of this dish was very good, but there was an excessive amount of liquid. I baked it in a rectangular pyrex dish for 1 1/2 hours. Rice and pork chops were just right at the end of the 1 1/2 hours; but, even after that long, there was still a little too much liquid. I think had we had time to let it cool and set for awhile that the remaining juice MIGHT have absorbed into the rice. Also, I’m wondering if baking in a pottery/earthenware (or Corning Ware) dish might help the liquid absorption. I did have a tight seal on the foil cover. I will make again—just with the time/liquid adjustments.

Just made this and it is in the oven. Can’t wait to taste it. I just looked at the comments, hope I didn’t add too much water. I made two pans w/o the ro tel. Don’t like tomatoes,lol. Thinking about making some donuts for dessert. Thanks Christy :)

15. Susan Eagan says

I made this dish tonight and cooked it for over an hour and it was still very soupy. I was thinking that it might be the size of the casserole. Mine was oval and deep. You never mention what size you use. If the liquid and rice are more spread out in a shallow casserole that might make the difference. Please, tell us what size casserole you use!!!

Susan

Hey Susan!

I am so sorry you had problems! I swear I’ve never had the first issue with this or I would have never published it!

I use a 9×13 most times. Sealing it very well with aluminum foil.

I am terribly sorry it didn’t work for you!
      Christy :(

• Susan Eagan says

Christy,

Please don’t feel bad. I am sure it’s the pan size!! I do plan on trying it again next week and I will use a 13×9 pan. I would bet money that it works this time! I will check in next week and let you know. Please, keep posting. In fact, I have so much faith in your recipes that I have asked for your cookbook for my birthday in April!

Susan

16. Julie says

I made this tonite. It was really good. I did have a lot of extra liquid after 1 hour of baking, I took off the foil and cooked for about 15 min longer and it was fine. I used a 9×13 dish.

The kids loved it too!

Thanks Christy!

17. Jessica says

Hello,

I just got back from Sam’s with a huge pack of chops and I am sitting here with my 3 month old, Scarlett, on my lap and was looking for a good pork chop recipe. I have cream of mushroom and rotel (and always rice) and I am about to try it!! Great website. I live in Baton Rouge so I was drawn to your websites name!!!

18. Brenda Croft says

Hi Christy

I love you website and all of your great stories. I wanted to know in the one dish porkchop dish, can you substitute cream of chicken instead of mushroom? I don’t really like mushroom(it looks gross) I thing you probably can I will try it, but wanted an expert opinion. Thanks for making so many of us smile~!!!

• Susie from SC says

Made this with Cream of Chicken this week (we prefer it too) and it turned out fine. The rice when cooked reminds me of Spanish Rice so the kids were not crazy about it. The hubby loved it!

19. Queen says

Count me as another person who had a soupy dish of uncooked pork chops after an hour. I put the dish back in the oven this time with a lid on top of the foil to keep it tight and raised the temp to 400. I will see if this helps. It smells great so I hope it will turn out. We don’t have the Mahatma rice here so I think I used a larger bag of rice than you did, Christy. Update when I take the dish out of the oven…

20. Gwen says

I’m sorry to say it, but add me to the list of people who didn’t get the good results. I’m sure it was something I did wrong thou because I am a horrible cook! Just wanted to say that I have tried other meals from the site and they are great. Looking forward to the cookbook! I will be purchasing one for me and my momma. Please keep the recipes coming!

21. Mary says

Hi Christy. I somehow missed this when you first posted it, but it was also posted on the Front Porch, so I’m ready to try it. I’ve never seen such uneven results in the comments though. What I plan to do is start with room temp ingredients and mix everthing but the chops together — the rice, water, Rotel, and soup. I’ll layer half of this mixture in my casserole, nestle the chops on top, and cover them with the remaining mixture. The rice will be distributed more evenly (and hence cook more evenly) and the chops will be surrounded by creamy, spicy flavors. You didn’t mention the effect that oven temperatures can have, but I know my oven is “spot on” at 350* which gives me hope. I think 45 minutes will do it better than 30 minutes, since the whole dish must heat up before it can start cooking. I’ll let you know how it comes out.

22. Mary says

Update to my recent promise to report — the flavors in this dish are worth trying it again (and again), but the liquid and timing need adjustment. It took an hour at 375* to reach a consistency that could be served — 45 min covered and 15 min uncovered. Mahatma rice (5 oz. pkg.) calls for 1 2/3 cups of water, as others have noted, but the Rotel adds another 1/4+ cup of liquid. We will try it again as a rice only side dish, using 1 to 1 1/3 cups of water, omitting the delicious, fork tender pork until the liquid amounts are more reliable. Thanks for the great taste treat, Christy.

23. Annarose says

Christy, this is the song that my mother-in-law woke my husband up with nearly every morning of his life until the graduated from high school and moved out! Maybe I’ll torture our children with it too. I have a terrible singing voice so it should get them out of bed really fast :D

24. Kerry Palmer says

I know this is quite an old post, but I am enjoying reading through these, Christy. I used to sing this song to my kids to get them up (they are now adults). My daughter can now remember this laughingly, my son…. well, let’s just say that his sister laughs even harder when he starts expressing his opinion of my A.M. serenades :) (I have never understood how he gets himself up and anywhere on time…I practically had to set bombs off under his bed… or sing this twice!!!)

25. Rachel Drake says

How much rice is used? My local stores here in the midwest don’t carry small bags like you have pictured. Also, the recipe has a typo (saffon) – lol!! Sorry, it’s just a habit of mine. Love your recipes & I am trying this one tomorrow!!