Chicken Nuggets On The Fly

dscn4346

As I write this post a migraine and a Lortab are waging a mighty war against each other in my head. It has been a three day war, but I am happy to report that for the time being, Lortab appears victorious. As I wait on further reinforcements to conquer the retreating troops, let us do a quick and easy recipe utilizing some of the modern conveniences our granny’s would have loved to of had back in their day.

dscn4314

You will need: Chicken (I use boneless chicken breasts, you can use strips or whatever you like), milk, and some good old $1 a box chicken seasoning and coating mix.

Yes my dears, not only do I use Shake and Bake, I use generic shake and bake – and I proudly proclaim to all that can hear that “It is good!”.

Of course Southerners are known for their fried chicken, typically made from scratch with a well seasoned coating of flour and spices. I can do that, sure I can do that. But do I want to all the time? Heck no, and neither would my great granny if she were still here. Its little modern conveniences like this coating that my ancestors would have marveled at. We are nothing if not a practical culture.

Now you can make a seasoning coating from scratch, too but like I said, this box costs around a dollar.

For a great homemade coating recipe check out TipNut.com’s posting here.

I don’t fry very often but don’t y’all start a worrying that I’m gonna go over to the “other side”. It’s not because of health reasons at all. I just don’t like the mess. That’s why I love this oven fry chicken. Its not messy, can be put together quickly, and If i want, I can adapt it to make strips for the “big people” and nuggets for the “little people”.

And today, it’s also migraine friendly. If cooking anything can be migraine friendly.

dscn4316

This is an example of how I cut up my chicken breasts. I am using a boneless skinless chicken breast here and as you can see I get six large nuggets out of it. You can use a knife to do this of course but i have a nice pair of dishwasher safe kitchen shears that make cutting up meat a breeze so I just scissor cut right through this.

dscn4317

This is three chicken breasts cut up. I am only using three for a family of four because cooking chicken this way actually causes it to “plump up” and be more filling. You won’t need as much as you normally would.

dscn4318

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

dscn4320

Pour your coating into the plastic bag that comes in the box. Now the box comes with two bags of coating and two plastic bags. I gotta tell ya that I use both of them at once each time I make this. Technically you are only supposed to need one but we don’t fret over technicalities when we want a nice thick coating on our chicken.

dscn4321

Pour a little milk in your bowl and place your chicken pieces in it.

Some recipes call for using egg, some just water, some milk. Milk works for me.

You just do whatever cranks your tractor. :)

dscn4322

Put a few pieces of chicken in your bag and give it a good shake.

I just do about half of my chicken in this bag and then I pour the rest of my coating in and finish with the other half.

dscn4323

Place on your baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes for nuggets, thirty or more for whole chicken breasts. Whenever I cook chicken breasts, I always cut one open in the center to see if it is done rather than go by any set time frame.

Some of these boxes of coating will tell you that whole boneless skinless breasts will be done in fifteen minutes.

I hope to find those people someday and sell them some prime swampland.

And that, my dear friends, is my little non-gourmet, super cheap secret to quickie chicken nuggets that the kidders and the big people all enjoy.

Ain’t no shame in my game!

Chicken Nuggets On The Fly

Chicken Nuggets On The Fly

• 1 Box seasoning and coating mix (or homemade)
  • 3-4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless - or can use tenders or whatever you prefer)
  • 1 -2 cups milk

1. Cut each chicken breast into nuggets. Place in bowl with milk. Pour coating into bag and add a few chicken nuggets at a time, shaking to coat. Place coated pieces onto baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about twenty minutes for chicken nuggets, thirty minutes or longer (until it tests done) for chicken breasts.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Serve with MeMe’s mashed potatoes!

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Bill Gent says

Ahhh… my poor lil sister.. I’m sorry you have a migraine. I will say a prayer for you.

You know I have never used shake-n-bake in my life? My mom didn’t either.. dunno why. I don’t like frying because of the mess either. It’s a pain to clean up. I will try this however. I need to cut out all frying anyway. Try to have a better day Christy.. I hope you feel better fast!

2. Donna in SC says

You have MADE MY DAY! This is one I have been waiting for. Thanks! In my old-age, I am all about fast but good food prep, and generic is just that much better. You are MY kinda cook Christy. Thanks for all you do to make us better cooks and I hope you get to feeling better SOON.

3. Melody says

Am so sorry you have a migraine. They are especially awful because life doesn’t stop and most times we can’t either.

Just wanted to say that I look forward every day to seeing what great recipe you’ve posted. And I also find myself trying way more generics than I used too!

4. ruthanne says

This recipe sounds sooooo good…I’ll be “fixin’” it soon..btw, hope your pack of chicken seasoning doesn’t have MSG in it as that is a NO, No for migraine sufferers. Try to take it easy today..I look forward to your recipes every day.

5. Vickie says

Hey Christy! Thanks for the recipe I’m gonna have try this one. I think I might try it homemade! I’ve kinda been on this homemade frenzy lately! I made your biscuits yesterday and they we’re really good thanks! I hope your migrane gets better! I’ll be praying for you! I just wanted to say I LOVE your website you are just so funny and I just really enjoy reading your blogs!
    Vickie-Louisiana

6. Laura in AL says

SO sorry about the migraines. They are so awful. But as always you have come through with another wonderful recipe. I think you and Southern Plate are fabulous and am telling everyone I know. Feel better!

7. Memoria says

I don’t like frying foods much, either, because it makes my face feel greasy haha. I just feel so yucky and greasy after eating fried foods, even at burger places, but that doesn’t stop me from going to What-a-burger, does it? haha

8. Sheila says

I have migraines too–I feel for you. Hope you are better soon. I must admit that I have been using some(lots) of “Great Value” products too–I’ll have to pick up some of this next time I grocery shop–I wasn’t too sure of how it would taste but I trust you!! My Ma-Maw used shake n bake sometimes and my sister and I always did our own commercial–you know the one–said in a very southern accent–”It’s shake n bake and we helped”!!! Your blog sure brings back some good memories and tastes of growing up in the south–Louisiana. Feel better soon. Sheila

9. Cherrill says

This will surely put more money in my pocket as I have just taken on 2 more little ones (5 & 7) in our house. These little people will eat you out of house and home. Thanks for a quicky when days are short.

10. Judy in KY says

Christy, this recipe sounds great but I’m a “frugal” gal so will be doing the homemade thing. Actually I’ve done this for years but TipNuts’ recipe sounds good and I’ll be adding some dry Ranch Dressing mix for even more flavor. Does anyone have any ideas for dipping sauces (other than catsup and barbeque sauce)? I really hope your migraine goes away soon–they’re no fun!!

11. Su says

Ah that looks great Christy! When I saw the photo of the nuggets from your mashed potato tutorial I assumed they would be minced chicken meat, but this is good, with the actual breast meat.

I also like to oven-fry, for the same reason as you. Deep frying is so messy. I think the end result is almost as good as deep frying. I have made a buttermilk fried chicken recipe, and also oven fried it. I gave it a quick spray before putting it in the oven and the coating really crisped up.

MeMe’s mashed potatoes and Christy’s nuggets are on the menu for me! I should call my little niece over on Saturday and make them for her. She loves nuggets, especially the dinosaur shaped ones. =)

12. Cathy D says

I love to dip my nuggets in honey! (late response to the dipping sauce question but thought I’d toss it out there anyway!)

I’m adding this to the ever-growing list of recipes to try from your site! ;)