Reuben – My St. Patty’s Day Treat

dscn0031

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

Today I’m bringing you a quick and easy way to get your Corned Beef and Cabbage in!

There is this place in Decatur, Alabama that I just love – even though I have only eaten there three times.

~makes a mental note to get out more ~

Anyway, they serve these great sandwiches, freshly sliced meats and cheeses and then toasted to perfection. The name of the place is “The Brick” and its located inside an old brownstone downtown. There is usually live music in the evenings and while the service tends to be a wee bit on the slow side when I’ve been before, you can’t complain because that just means you get to soak up the atmosphere a little more.

Speaking of which, when was the last time you called the manager over and complimented good service? Everyone seems set on complaining when service is bad but so few of us think to compliment good service. I’ try to counter this by never complaining at bad service and making it a point to seek out management when service is above par in any way.

I have even done this at mediocre service. Hey, I’m easy to please! Its kind of fun, too. See someone who is halfheartedly doing a job, likely just tired and flat wore out, seek out their boss and compliment them. Their boss in turn passes on compliments and this starts an entirely different cycle. Give it a shot and I swear you’ll get a thrill out of putting smile where there wasn’t one before!

dscn99991

You’ll need: Swiss cheese, corned beef, rye bread, and sauerkraut.

Oh my goodness how I love sauerkraut! When we were little, Mama browned it in a skillet with slices of weenies for supper. We usually had that and fried potatoes and pinto beans with cornbread for supper. I would put ketchup on my sauerkraut and weenies and it was the best dinner as a kid!

You can get these at your local Deli counter and just get whatever you need so there is no waste or additional cost :).

dscn00023

For my sauce (which you can leave out if you like), I just mixed up a little ketchup and mayo.

dscn0004

Tablespoon of each, stirry, stirry!

dscn0005

Spread some butter or margarine on the outside of each piece of bread.

Y’all know I use whatever is cheapest…

Bring on the hydrogenated oils!!

dscn0007

I put a layer of Swiss cheese first..

dscn0009

Top with corned beef.

Have you ever noticed how much prettier a sandwich is if you fold and layer the meat rather than just laying them flat?

dscn0010

Add sauerkraut.

dscn0014

At this point I realized that no one in my house eats sauerkraut but me (dropped on their heads as children – the whole lot of ‘em!) so I decided I might as well add one more thing that no one likes but me…

Bring on the sliced banana peppers!

Even though I am going to do all of this myself, it is fun to shout it out as if waiting for servants to appear!

Just don’t hold your breath. I don’t want anyone passing out or hyperventilating. We’d have an awful hard time explaining our little servant fantasies to paramedics.

dscn0017

Our sandwich is ready to be toasted!

dscn0018

Place it in a skillet and brown on both sides over medium heat.

dscn0021

We just want our bread browned and toasted and our cheese a little melted.

Yum yum yum!

I gotta be lucky today to get to eat one of these!

Reuben Sandwich

Reuben Sandwich

• Sauerkraut
  • Corned beef
  • Swiss Cheese
  • Rye bread
  • ketchup
  • mayo

1. Layer all of above on rye bread (I add banana peppers but thats just me!). Spread with sauce made of 1 Tablespoon mayo and 1 Tablespoon ketchup stirred together. Butter both sides of bread and toast in skillet until browned and cheese is melted.

For more recipes from my Quick and Easy Category, click here.

Be sure and keep up with me on facebook this week as I set off on a road trip adventure. We’ll be playing games, chatting along the way, and eventually you’ll find out where I’m going!

Comments

1. winniemom says

Reuben Sandwich is by far my favorite of all sandwiches. I prefer using pumpernickle bread with pastrami or corned beef. I like to put the cheese on top of the sauerkraut as the cheese melts it helps hold the sauerkraut from coming out of the sandwich. Hadn’t thought about the peppers but that sounds like a good twist I’ll have to try. Mix horseradish sauce with the thousand island dressing for a little extra zip. Schlotzsky’s makes a fantastic Reuben unfortunately I don’t have one close by. Closest is over 100 miles away. So I’ll just have to make my own.

2. Pat Powell says

Christy, this is by far the best sandwich in the world. We also grew up on kraut & weiners. The first time I made it as a new wife for my hubby, he was horrified that I put Ketchup on it. He thought I had lost my mind. But it was so GOOD> I just thought everyone ate it like that. Surprise. Surprise. Dont know what they are missing. Have a safe trip.

3. Angela says

Kraut and wennies, fried potatoes, pinto beans and corn bread. That is my kind of eating. Fry up onions with those potatoes and some squash with them too! That’s some good stuff right there.

4. Kim in Minnesota says

Yum is right. Here’s a twist my grocery deli recently put into my Reuben habit: Spread one of the bread slices with apple butter! Just the right amount of sweet to complement the sauerkraut.

5. Diane says

The fixins are going on my grocery list! We grew up eating homemade kraut (or crap as my younger sister called it). Christy did your mom or granny ever cook “kraut & pork ribs” on top of the stove? One of my favorite dishes and requested for birthday suppers.

Di

6. Mary says

We also had reuben sandwiches today but I make mine open faced with layers of corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese on two slices of pretoasted rye bread and broil them until the cheese melts, then top with my sauce of catsup, mayo, pickle relish and horseradish. I close mine up to eat, but my husband prefers to eat his in smaller pieces and dunks them in his sauce. Each to his own. ERIN GO BRAGH!

7. PATIKAKES says

This is my all time favorite sandwich. I need lots of mustard on mine in addition to the russian dressing. My mom used to make sauerkraut with pork chops, she also did the kraut with the pork ribs in the pressure cooker. Those were my favorite meals. I love sauerkraut on my hot dog with mustard, of course. There must be somethig wrong with people who don’t like saurekraut, I just don’t understand it.

8. Sue says

I eat the German sandwich for St. Patty’s day too! Guess the corned beef is what makes it Irish! I cook my corned beef ($2.99 a pound) in the crockpot, rather than pay $8.99 a pound at the deli. It freezes well but that’s not a problem at our house!

9. barbara miller says

fried kraut and sliced weenies is a southern classic. loved the stuff, still do!
    love a good ruben, even if it is a “yankee” sandwich! ;D.
    marble rye is my fav, and yankees call the spread “russian dressing.” ilike my kraut well drained and chopped instead of shredded. i put it between the chipped corned beef and swiss cheese so the bread doesn’t get soggy and then I put it on the “George Foreman” and grill it to golden brown and the cheese is melting. ummmmm!
    ;^b….

10. Jenny says

We ate kraut and wienies with ketchup too. Or had it baked in a big dish with potatoes. Yum! I picked up the ingredients to make Reubens today, and the three ladies in line in front of me were all buying corned beef too. I had to do an informal poll. Turns out we are all making the same thing! We chatted and compared notes and had a fine time waiting our turn.

11. Margaret says

Never liked kraut when I was a kid…in fact I must been about 30 years old before I realized it is one yummy food! Reubens are one of my favorite sandwiches …in fact I have been known to make them with roast beef, ham or without meat at all!
    YUMMY!
    Oh…and I was told at a little restaurant I worked at 100 yrs ago, to fold & layer the meat & fluff it a bit, as it looked like you were giving more! People would love it thinking they were getting so much more for their $1.00`s….I still do it with my own sandwiches!

12. Sheila Dewey says

We love Reuben at our house! I make mine very much like yours Christy. I put 2 layers of cheese on our Reuben’s, top n bottom. We’re having Reuben for St Patty’s Day Monday. YUM!…. My Mom made wieners n kraut when I was a kid. I loved it, I didn’t put ketchup on it though. I’ll have to give the ketchup it a try on it. I haven’t made wieners n kraut in many years. Maybe we’ll have it later this week.