Deviled Eggs : A Southern Staple

Yum

eggs-203

Every self respecting Southerner has a deviled egg plate, usually two. We have one for “fancy” company and a travel one which has a handy little lid (in the interest of disclosure, I have three fancy ones and one travel one). Deviled eggs are standard fare at all family reunions, church gatherings, and holidays but they are an absolute requirement at Easter!

When I was a little girl we always had family reunions on my Papa Reed’s farm each summer. The two things I looked forward to the most were Mama’s Mandarin Orange cake (because she used to torture us by making it three days ahead of time and letting it sit in the refrigerator –at perfect eye level for my siblings and I!) and all of the platters of deviled eggs. Everyone brought covered dishes from home and when time came for the meal Papa Reed would hook his tractor up to a large flatbed trailer and pull it right up into the front yard. The ladies would then lay out bed sheets and table cloths to cover the trailer bed and everyone would take the covers off their dishes and lay them out, forming a huge country buffet. Deviled eggs were plentiful and I would go down the line, examining each platter and making my choice. Usually, I got one from each dish but my very favorite were the ones with “red stuff” (paprika) sprinkled on the top!

After everyone had eaten second and sometimes third helpings, the dishes were cleared, sheets removed, and we’d all climb up onto the trailer for a hayride through the country. My favorite part of the hayride was when we stopped over at a creek and got to throw rocks in. It was pretty hot by then and you’d try to find the biggest rock you could so you’d get a good splash of cool creek water out of it! Later, we’d put out chairs in the front lawn and the musicians in the family would set up on the porch for a little concert of sorts. We usually had a guitar, fiddle, and banjo.

I miss family reunions.

eggs-137

Well, I may not have a family reunion today but look what I do have!

Real, honest to goodness, fresh from a local farm, EGGS!

I have always wanted a chicken coop. Its been a dream of mine since I was a little girl and my step grandmother would let me go gather the eggs when I came for a visit. Each egg was like finding a grand prize. Returning with an entire basket full thrilled me to no end. I’ve always wanted to raise chickens, gathering and cooking for my family with fresh eggs I had harvested from my own hens. I’ve read books on how to build the coop, what to feed the chickens, and how to care for them but alas, I still live in the city and these silly city folks don’t think chickens are the best choice for neighbors.

So I am just going to live vicariously through Kamilla, over at Fledermaus Farm.

eggs-159

Now THIS is fresh! This photo was taken on April 7th!

eggs-139

Farm fresh, local egg

eggs-145

Egg from grocery store.

On the top is a farm fresh egg and the bottom is a store bought one. Notice the richness in the color of the yolk on the top. Let me tell you, there is a definite taste difference as well! It was such a treat for me to find a local source for fresh eggs. I’ll be bringing you more in future posts about the farm these eggs came from.

If any of you are wondering how to find a local source for eggs or any other farm raised food, www.localharvest.org is a great place to start. This is where I located the farm these eggs came from and it turns out the owner and I went to high school together! It really is  a small world and its fun to find out just how small by looking to your own local resources for food.

With spring upon us now and summer coming up, I’ve been looking at different ways to be more self sufficient in terms of providing for my family. I have a small garden planned (it may end up being a series of container gardens) and am working on several true “from scratch” tutorials to bring you. My eventual goal is to be able to provide as much of my family’s food as possible from my own garden or local sources. Keep in mind that I am still cheap though, so this will be done within reason. While I would love to start using meat from local sources, I can’t bring myself to pay double the price- even if it is organic.

Although this is better for the environment, healthier, ensures better quality food, and is better for our local economy, my primary goal is to simply increase the self sufficiency of my family. I’ll be sharing more of how I am doing in my little quest throughout the summer. For now, I’m reading, studying, and planning.

~sighs~ But I still can’t have my chicken coop.

How about we make us some deviled eggs from Kamilla’s chicken coop instead?

eggs-172

Place fresh eggs in pot and add enough water to cover them by one inch.

eggs-175

Add a pinch of salt per my mother’s directions.

We don’t question our mothers. We just do it.

eggs-176

Bring to a full boil over medium to medium high heat.

Once it comes to a boil, remove pot from hot eye and cover.

Allow to sit for fifteen minutes.

eggs-178

Place pot in sink and run cold water into it until eggs are cooled.

eggs-179

Once cooled, remove each egg and tap it gently on all sides on a hard surface to get a nice cracking on the shell.

eggs-181

Carefully peel egg.

To peel an egg and have it still be pretty requires a delicate hand, which I do not have. I forced it for y’all though (Because I just love ya so much). I’m one of these people who has fifty different things I want to do at once and I just barrel right through them!

dscn0096

To make our eggs, you’ll need: Mayo, Mustard, and Sweet Pickle Relish

You’ll also need: salt, pepper, and paprika but these are actually optional.

eggs-182

Cut each egg in half.

eggs-185

Spoon out all of the yolks.

WOW! Look how bright and rich these are!

eggs-186

For six eggs, I am using 3 T of Mayo and 1 T of mustard.

This is something you’ll need to customize to her personal taste so just start out with lesser quantities, mix it all in, and then add more if you prefer!

eggs-187

With a fork, mush* it all together.

*Once again, I am bringing you a highly technical term which I yield effortlessly thanks to my $40,000 Home Economics degree. As a Southern Plate reader, you are now qualified to use this term as well and FREE OF CHARGE, too!

The perks never end, folks!

eggs-188

Once its all nice and creamy, add about a 1/2 tsp salt (more if you prefer)

eggs-189

I add about 1/4 tsp pepper. You can omit this or use white pepper if you prefer.

For me, white pepper is about like a penthouse suite.

I’ve heard of it, I have every faith that it exists, but I’ve not once laid eyes upon it. :)

eggs-190

Then we add about a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish.

Most people would want to add two tablespoons here but I keep it light on the pickles at my house.

Mix all of that up. You can make it even creamier with more mixing if you like but I like the tiny little lumps in mine.

Its how we had them at the family reunions. ~smiles happily~

eggs-191

There are several ways to fill your eggs and no one way is wrong! You can simply spoon the filling in, pipe it in with a pastry bag and tip with a large opening, or do it the way I am today. I spoon my filling into a sandwich bag and cut the corner off, then squeeze it in each egg half.

eggs-192

Like this.

eggs-194

Or you can have some fun and do this….

The eyes are olive slices (with pimentos) and the beak is bits of carrot…

But I digress…

eggs-204

When finished, place on a pretty plate and sprinkle with “red stuff” if you like!

I should have done that before placing them on the plate but I was running late for Katy’s preschool Easter party and so…

well you get my point well enough. :)

eggs-203

Deviled eggs, on my fancy plate!

Deviled Eggs

• 6-7 eggs
  • 3-4 T Mayonnaise
  • 1 T Mustard
  • 1-2 T Sweet Pickle Relish
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Place eggs in pot and add enough water to cover by one inch. Add a pinch of salt. Place on medium to medium high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover, let sit fifteen minutes.
  2. Place pot under cold running water to cool eggs. Carefully peel. Slice each egg in half and spoon out yolk onto separate plate. Add all other ingredients and mash with fork until creamy and well blended. Spoon contents into plastic bag and seal. Cut off corner and squeeze back into egg halves. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Some people like to garnish with a slice of olive or sprig of fresh herbs.

Subscribe to Southern Plate to have my newly posted recipes sent to you in printer friendly format twice a month! You’ll also receive an ebook of my reader’s favorite slow cooker recipes when you confirm your subscription!

Instead of thinking about what you are missing,

try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.

~From Southern Plate Reader, Linda Gossen

Friend me on Facebook!

Christy Jordan’s ProfileCreate Your Badge
Christy Jordan's Facebook profile

Yum

Comments

1. melanie says

Hi Christy,
    I have a little tip for you if you already know then sorry. But if you add about a half a teaspoon if baking soda to your the water before you add the eggs it makes pealing the eggs much easier, of course the bigger the pot of water the more baking soda needed.

2. kaye says

I have just recently discovered Christy Jordan! Wow…what a jewel, she seems much more down home, TRUE southern style than Paula. I have to say I’m from Nashville Tn and I’m really southern….old time southern gal, I find it so very stange than Paula seems to pronounce many old southern terms such as PECON, a PEE CAN! I’ve traveled extensively, only rarely have I heard Pecan pronounced PEECAN… just happened to be out (way) out on the west coast too, California to be exact! Is it just me, or is Paula turning out to be more of the “acotor” than a true authentic SOUTHERN cook? hum….
    I love Christy Jordan, and thank Goodness she seems so genuine, PLEASE continue to “stay SOUTHERN” when we lose our roots, we have no grounds on which to stand! Love your true “southern cooking” Christy, keep up the Southern Tradition, stay true to your roots and it will pay tremendous dividends!
    Kaye~ from Tennessee.

• nina morris says

lol, born and raised in south east ga. old saying there…. “only people who call peecans peecons are the ones who had pee cans under their beds at night.”

not trying to start something here. but your comment made me remember it. and please remember that even in “southern cooking” it varies from region to region(all cooking, not just talking about pecans). no need to diss on anyone. i have learned to embrace the differences that make each of us unique.

3. Frances Hughes says

Hi, Kaye! I just read your comment on Paula’s version of pecan. I, too, had never heard anyone pronounce it the way she does until I worked with two people from around Claxton, GA. It must be a Georgia thing, because I have since met someone else from Georgia, and they say it the same way! So, I just think it’s some kind of regional thing with Paula. Oh, and I love Christy’s recipes and her blog. The girl is great!
    Frances-from Selma, AL

4. Cassie Wilkins says

Hi Christy,, I just discovered a super duper easy no fuss way to cook my eggs to make “boiled” eggs. I put them sideways on a mini muffin pan (I can do 2 doz this way) and pop them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes and then toss into a sink of ice water. Perfect! They peel very nicely right away also! And the best part is the yolks are nice and yellow without that green stuff around the edge that sometimes happens when you overcook them (because I ummm forgot to set my timer, lol)
    This is just the lazy way of doing it and I can be mixing up something else in the meantime, lol.
    I also do this in my 6 cup regular muffin tin in my toaster oven for the same time. The time remains the same no matter how many eggs you need.

• Shelly says

I have tried really hard not to be ugly but it kept eating at me. Dear Chester Beecher aka Chess, Here is a lil tip & some etiquette for ya! First & foremost…this is Christie’s site, not yours! Unless she hired you as her personal proofreader….hush! It is perfectly acceptable to correct your children or students, but not publicly. (you see shame doesn’t make a person feel good about themselves nor does it impress anyone) In any other case, you must ask yourself if the person you wish to correct would actually like to be corrected. If the answer is “no,” then you should keep it to yourself. This is a family/fun/COOKING website, NOT mr.grammarpolice.com. Christie doesn’t need any “housekeeping.” Besides, you need to clean up your own house first on your comma usage.
      Thanks, for never, doing, something, so rude, again!
      Shelly

5. Christopher says

I love your little chick. That’s so cute.
    I found out that my southern friends really brighten up when I add crumbled bacon to the mix. I also use good Hungarian paprika; both hot and mild, for a dusting. My close friend and neighbor likes things a little on the hot side. I introduced him to a Jewish favorite, horseradish deviled eggs. Real Eastern European fresh ground horseradish is tough to come by in SC. So I use Wasabi powder or paste. And the rockets red glare… Wow! And no, I’m not Jewish. My lineage is Irish Catholic. I’m from NYC. Waddya’ expect? Badda-bing! 😀
    God bless.

If you want the flavor of farm-raised “yard eggs” but hate trying to peel them when boiled, stick a couple of dozen in the back of your refrigerator for 10-12 days before boiling. The water in the egg evaporates just a bit, and the smaller innards don’t stick to the shell. At two weeks, they’re still fresher than most eggs from the store!

I also use WASABI as my secret ingredient in deviled eggs! Just a touch will leave folks wondering what that flavor is, a bit more if you’re adventurous!

• Lisa says

As I recall, I disliked peeling our farm fresh eggs. The fresher they were, the harder they were to peel. We had some messy deviled eggs growing up but even in the mid-west, we made them just like you do. :)

7. Joyce Harville says

Guess I am just different, never liked brown eggs because of the darker yolk! Also wondering if anyone else removes the little white things on the sides of the yolk. I always do! Your pic of the fresh egg didn’t seem to have the white things, am I correct? Might have to try them again if this is true.

8. Donna says

One of the gals at church has decided the name for deviled eggs should actually be angel eggs. I kind of agree with her especially for church functions. Maybe you could come up with a special recipe for Angel Eggs.

9. Fran in CA says

Christy, the “new” design for Southern Plate is nicely presented and I’m sure you are pleased with having one less task you and Rick have to do, but I was always so pleased with how it was presented as it was so “YOU” before the professional re-did it . I was so familiar with it and always looked forward to each recipe shared with your many fans. I also enjoyed your rambling, for I tend to ramble at times also, that’s who we are. Being born and having grown up in west TN until I married in the mid ’50s and left home, many of your recipes take me back mentally to those comfort foods I grew up eating. Thank you for the wonderful recipes you pass on to your followers. Fran in CA

10. Valerie says

A lady at my church said these were too good to be named after the devil so she called them “heavenly eggs.” I have to agree. I was looking for the plain ole’ southern style deviled eggs recipe because I didn’t print it out last time I used it, couldn’t remember where I had got it and then it dawned on me; I told my husband, “my girl Christy in Alabama will have it.” He cocked his head like a dog does when they’re confused. Thank you Christy, Easter dinner prep can continue now. May you and yours have a blessed Easter celebration.

11. Eva says

My momma always said they were deviled because you cut them up and then mashed the yolks, thereby deviling them like your brother or sister teasing you. However I agree that they are heavenly.
    Mine are slightly different, momma never used mayo, we didn’t have it in the house until I was earning my own money simply because it was a luxury, same for prepared mustard, if it called for mustard, you took some and a small bowl and mixed up the Keen’s dry mustard powder with some white vinegar, and a tiny bit of salt and turmeric if you had any (these are what prepared mustard has in it) and then used it like regular mustard. So you cut the eggs, remove the yolks, and devil them with some soft butter, a half a tsp of dry mustard powder, salt and pepper to taste, fill them nicely with a teaspoon and then sprinkle on the paprika, and yes we had a nice egg plate, sometimes in early spring (usually around Easter), a small leaf or two of horseradish finely chopped or some chives or spring onions would find their way into the yolks. These were standard fare for picnics, and of course any family gathering would have them, they were always tasty and delicious even to my palate and I hated eggs for a long time, but would eat them deviled or made into egg salad, which drove momma nuts, because I wouldn’t eat them any other way for years.

12. Bruce Hill says

Fill them with sandwich bags. Now that’s something I would love to have known years ago. Genius! I been doing it the hard way with a spoon all this time.
    Thank you for that tip Christy. Sometimes it’s the little things. 😉

13. JoAnn says

Christy, here’s another way to peel the eggs after they are cooked and cooled. Crack them on one end and remove that part of the shell. Place a teaspoon in between the shell and egg, with the small, shallow bowl portion of the spoon next to the egg white. Run the spoon around the egg and the shell comes off clean and quickly and easy. My Mom, who was a Southerner told me that adding salt to the water prior to cooking the eggs helped when peeling them, I’ve always done that also.

Love your site and all the stories, recipes and tips. Thanks for sharing with us.