Fresh Strawberry Pie

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I know I’ve brought you an awful lot of sweets lately and some of you may be wondering where my family puts all of these desserts! I can answer that question simply enough, we put them elsewhere! Usually, when I make a dessert, we’ll take out two pieces of it. The prettiest gets photographed and then eaten by the male parental unit and the second one gets halved by the kiddies. After that, everyone knows Mama has more desserts to make within a few days so we give the rest away to neighbors, school staff, friends, or family.

I generally try to make something sweet on Saturday or Sunday because Sunday night a group of moms meets at our local Starbucks and this presents a GREAT opportunity to pawn off goodies! The remainder of this strawberry pie will be accompanying me tonight :).

I go through phases in my posting. Sometimes I get on a casserole or main dish kick, sometimes I get on a roll with sweets. I’ve found that I’m happiest when I just allow myself to post whatever I’m in the mood to write about as this helps me to keep having fun with things rather than get burned out. Seeing as how this is going to be an incredibly busy week (meetings at school, dentist and doctor appointments with two kids, deadlines, etc) I was really just in the mood to post this pretty pie – so here ya go!

If any of you have ever had the strawberry pie at Shoney’s or Big Boy restaurants, this is likely looking pretty darn familiar. As well it should because it is very similar to that pie - only better. Using my quick and easy mix in the pan pie crust, you can throw together this gorgemous pie quick as a wink! This would be a beautiful dessert on any table – especially at family gatherings such as Easter, reunions, Mother’s day, or cook outs!

dscn9992

You’ll need: Fresh strawberries, strawberry gelatin powder, cornstarch, and sugar.

You’ll also need a cooked and cooled crust. You can purchase one ready made or make my mix in the pan pie crust, which is what I did. It works out wonderfully with this pie! I wanted a bit thicker crust so I made a recipe and a half and then had room to play with it a bit at the top edges and make it prettier :)

Note: Do NOT use sugar free gelatin for this. I accidentally placed the wrong box in the pic. The measurements call for 3 T of gelatin powder and sugar free, having so much less volume than regular, would not allow you to measure this properly.

dscn9993

Rinse your strawberries and cut the tops off. Also remove any bottoms that are on the un-pretty side :).

Slice each strawberry in half.

dscn9994

In a small bowl, place your sugar and strawberry gelatin mix.

dscn9995

Add cornstarch in heaping tablespoonfuls. This is a heaping tablespoon :)

dscn9996

Stir all of that up!dscn9997

Place water in a sauce pot.

You saucey little thang, you!

dscn9999

Add dry mixture.

dscn0003

Cook on medium to medium high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching…

dscn0007

Until it begins to look translucent like this actually does if you were seeing it in person rather than through the lens of my camera in my dimly lit dungeon of a kitchen with the 5′ x 8′ food floorspace. ~smiles sweetly~

The man who built this house had a keen eye for miniatures.

I think he was just trying to show this off when he made the kitchen :).

Remove this from the heat and allow to cool to room temp. If you want to do this quicker, you can always fill a bowl with ice water and dip the bottom of your sauce pan down in it while you stir. The fridge works as well.

dscn0009

Layer your halved strawberries in the pie crust. Again, this is my homemade mix in the pan pie crust and its easy as…well, easy as pie, of course.

Yes, I’m corny sometimes but in this day and age, corny can be refreshing. Don’t you think?

dscn0014

This picture was just too beautiful to leave out.

I took the filled pie outside and had a nice picture of my strawberries laying in the sun.

dscn0020

When your liquid has cooled, pour over the strawberries, making sure to cover them all.

dscn0021

I couldn’t leave out this photo, either. Isn’t this a beautiful pie?

I was going to make homemade whipped cream but I ended up with a humdinger of a coupon for canned whipped cream and that stuff is SO MUCH fun to play with that I just couldn’t resist! Dollop, squirt, or scoop whipped cream on top and DIVE IN!!

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Fresh Strawberry Pie

• 1 C sugar
  • 1 C Water
  • 3 T strawberry gelatin mix
  • 1 Pint Fresh Strawberries
  • 3 Heaping Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1 pie crust, cooked and cooled (The recipe for my crust may be found here.I made a recipe and a half for a bit thicker crust)

1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and dry gelatin mix by stirring well. Add water and cook until thick and clear over medium high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Set aside and let cool. Wash and hull strawberries, cut in half and arrange over pie crust. When filling is cool, pour over strawberries and chill pie until ready to serve. Serve with whipped cream. Think of me when you eat a piece :)
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Subscribe to Southern Plate to have my newly posted recipes sent to you in printer friendly format twice a month! You’ll also receive an ebook of my reader’s favorite slow cooker recipes when you confirm your subscription!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meet two of my Southern Plate friends!

Green Kool Aid Anyone?

Mary has had me blushing and grinning since she first posted this! The recipe looks absolutely delicious (which it is, of course!) but the post still has me grinning from ear to ear!!!

She did me such a kindness a few weeks back when I received a package filled to the BRIM With Splenda! Most of you will remember that I then set out on a quest for green Kool Aid and eventually had to buy it off of Ebay from Texas (only I would end up bootlegging Kool Aid mix into the state!). I thought it would be cute to send her a packet of it along with a packet of Splenda so she and I could both enjoy the same treat she enabled me to have. I swear, I’ve drank a few gallons lately! You just gotta read her post!!! Click here.  ~still blushing from it!~

Because nice matters!

Maralee McKee is the epitome of Southern grace. She is as kind and sweet as the day is long and she is an actual etiquette expert in addition to being a Southern Belle! She is in the process of writing a series of books on etiquette and just launched her new blog at mannersmentorblog.com. I know you’re going to fall in love with her! You’ll be seeing Maralee on Southern Plate’s front porch soon but until then, visit Maralee here!

Comments

1. Kimberly says

Tuesday I told some friends that I was going to make Strawberry Pie for dinner on the grounds Sunday and here you posted this on Wednesday! I made some slight varations to this, I used a graham cracker crust and added a layer of whipped cream cheese. Yum! Is it Sunday yet? :)

2. Diane says

Whoa – great minds think alike – can we say “Shoney’s”. Strawberries are wonderful this year and my receipe makes two pies. I shared the other with a friend who has been working long hours.

3. Rachael says

Thankyou!!
    The base was incredible!! I had a couple of complications along the way but it was still good!!
    I couldn’t get strawberry gelatin so I had to use regular stuff, and when I made the gelatin mix the colour was brown so I went back to get some red food dye which worked a treat and then at home the mix had set!!
    Not knowing what to do I reheated it and then added some sugar- my strawberries were a bit tart/ old so they weren’t the best but that was ok too.
    I was wondering, is there anything else you could suggest to replace the gelatin?
    I’m a little freaked out by that stuff,
    Sincerely yours, strawberry fan.

4. Christi says

Oh my goodness this looks good! I just stumbled on your site and I am hooked! I am going to make your one pan crust with this pie but am wondering how long to cook the crust since I will fill it with the fruit and not bake it again.
    Thanks!!!

5. Karen says

I was disappointed. My glaze never became translucent and thckened up quickly so I couldn’t cook longer to try to make translucent. Also, of course with gelatin in the glaze once it “set up in the fridge it was gelatinous…which I wanted to to stay more liquid-ish like the Shoney’s glaze is. I won’t be making this one again. I have another recipe I’ll rely on.
    :-(

• Irene Gumm says

Don’t give up, it;s worth trying again. Sounds like you got just a tad too much corn starch. Don’t heap the spoon as big the next time. This is too good to give up on now.

6. Aquaria says

I can’t believe places don’t sell Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid. I wouldn’t know it was summer if I didn’t have a bunch of it in my fridge from April – October. I thought it was a food group. Then again, I’ve been in Texas most of my life, and my food groups are Mexican food, BBQ, Whataburger, Blue Bell, tequila and Lime Kool-Aid.

I was so broke once that I used Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid to make Margaritas. I combined the sugar and mix like usual, but used half lemon juice and half grapefruit juice instead of water (it’s what I had–this was Make Do Margaritas). Added tequila, and whatever cheap orange liqueur I had on hand. By the end of the pitcher, I didn’t care that it was made with Kool-Aid. Or about being broke. Or anything.

7. Jennifer says

I made this recipe using only teaspoons of gellaton as tablespoon was spelled out for cornstarch so I wrongly assumed T was for teaspoon -needless to say, it did not work, so disappointing!

8. Becky Sunderman says

I love this recipe! I’ve made a couple of changes, depending on what I have at the time: sometimes I will spread melted chocolate over the baked pie crust, let it cool in the fridge, then spread softened cream cheese over that before adding berries and glaze.
    On the rare occasion that the entire pie isn’t consumed when first served, either or both of these acts as barriers against the soggy bottom crust.

Jennifer, I made the same mistake early in my cooking. I learned that ‘T’ ot ‘Tblsp’. is a universal abbreviation for Tablespoon ( large letter for larger quantity) and ‘t’ or ‘tsp.’ is for ‘teaspoon’ .
    You certainly can have disappointments if you mix these two very important measurements up!

9. Elizabeth says

This was fabulous. I just made it for a cookout at a friend’s house, and it was much enjoyed. I had no problems with the recipe in the slightest. As long as strawberries are in season, I will be making this. Thank you!

10. Knoa Sivan says

I’ve made this version of Southern strawberry pie and I must say, it is the easiest, most beautiful, and the most delicious one you can make, ( i really like the added strawberry flavor) It was a hit all around. This is by far the best recipe for strawberry pie there is out there,, :) Thank you so much for sharing,

11. Susan says

The fresh pie is like you say Christy, much better than the Shoney one. I have made it for several years with the sugar free strawberry jello, both name brand and store brand. I wish they made stevia jello in place of splenda for the sugar free alternative., that is what i have gone to for tea and such. It was a transition since the stevia sweetness reminds me of the “sweet” of say a carrot. But it is better for ya in the long run. Aldi sells it for around $4 a puffy bag. During peach season i also make this pie with peaches with the same yummy results. First got the recipe from our old church cookbook from the 70s. Thanks for the delish work you do girl!