Give A Penny, Get A Penny

lincoln_pennies

Give A Penny, Get A Penny

Most gas stations in the South have little change dishes by the register. If you’re paying for a transaction and need an extra penny or two, you simply take one from the dish. People then reciprocate this good turn by dropping a few coins in the dish from time to time, thereby creating a community bank of sorts, based on goodwill.

So in that spirit, this is Southern Plate’s “Give A Penny, Get A Penny” page.” I dearly love positive quotes and am always scouring the web for more so I thought this would be a great place to compile all of those. I’ll post mine, you post yours, and we can all “Give A Penny” when we have one and come back to “Get A Penny” when we need one.

I’ll also draw on these quotes to include at the bottom of my posts and emails that I send out to Southern Plate readers and be sure to credit the person who provided it, so include a link to your blog if you have one.

I would consider it a personal favor if you’d take the time to share a quote of motivation or positivity in the comments section below. Quote yourself, your Mama, someone famous, or our best friend “Anonymous”, it doesn’t matter, long as you drop your penny and then come back on one of those days when you feel like you might need one yourself.

Some of my favorite quotes to start us off

“Pretend you’re a star and poke a hole in someone’s darkness”

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
~Abraham Lincoln

“Squeeze every bit of love you can out of life, and life will HUG you back like never before” ~Ticha from Facebook

Comments

1. Kolene says

“You aren’t wealthy until you have something that money cannot buy” ~Garth Brooks

“Be the type of person YOU want to meet”

“One of the best feelings in the world is knowing that your presence and absence both mean something to someone”

2. Jo Ann says

Years ago I received an email from an employee at an air force base and after her name and info was
    I AM TO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED…..
    I now think of this SAYING every time I get angry at the little things that annoy us every day and relax as I remember how truly blessed I am with family and great friends.

3. Martha Philips says

My Daddy was my hero! And in good times as well as bad, I always turned to him for comfort and guidance, knowing where he received his guidance. t never failed, no mater how bi, or small , he ALWAYS had time for me and assured me that Christ also ALWAYS had time. Then Daddy would say, “Remember Sis, “Be STILL and know that I am GOD”!

4. Paula S. says

I have this taped to my computer at work.

Motto:
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says…”Oh crap…she’s awake!!”

5. Bonny says

“The life above, when this is past,
    Is the ripe fruit of life below.
    Sow love, and taste its fruitage pure;
    Sow peace, and reap its harvest bright;
    Sow sunbeams on the rock and moor,
    And find a harvest-home of light.” – - Horatius Bonar

“Seek to cultivate a buoyant, joyous sense of the crowded kindnesses of God in your daily life.”
    - – Alexander Maclaren

6. Heather C says

Look for the worst in people and you are never disappointed, but look for the good in people and you will always be pleasantly surprised. This is my philosophy and its surprising how many good folks I meet.

7. Debbie Heckler says

I’ve dealt with some painful events and situations in my life. I think these have helped me put a lot of daily annoyances in their proper (tiny) perspective. When someone apologizes to me for some minor inconvenience, I tell them, “I have a Standard Philosophy of Life: If that is the worst thing that happens to me all day today, it will be a beautiful day!” This never fails to bring a smile to my own face, and I usually get one in return, too!

8. MARSHA G. says

Christy, this is long but so inspiring. I do not know the author but it sure worth reading with a great message.
    Once there were three trees on a hill in the woods. They were discussing their hopes and dreams when the first tree said, “Someday I hope to be a treasure chest. I could be filled with gold, silver and precious gems. I could be decorated with intricate carving and everyone would see the beauty.” Then the second tree said, “Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take kings and queens across the waters and sail to the corners of the world. Everyone will feel safe in me because of the strength of my hull.”
    Finally the third tree said, “I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the forest. People will see me on top of the hill and look up to my branches, and think of the heavens and God and how close to them I am reaching. I will be the greatest tree of all time and people will always remember me.”
    After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodsmen came upon the trees. When one came to the first tree he said, “This looks like a strong tree, I think I should be able to sell the wood to a carpenter”, and he began cutting it down. The tree was happy, because he knew that the carpenter would make him into a treasure chest. At the second tree the woodsman said, “This looks like a strong tree. I should be able to sell it to the shipyard.” The second tree was happy because he knew he was on his way to becoming a mighty ship. When the woodsmen came upon the third tree, the tree was frightened because he knew that if they cut him down his dreams would not come true. One of the woodsmen said, “I don’t need anything special from my tree, I’ll take this one”, and he cut it down.
    When the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed box for animals. He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not at all what he had prayed for. The second tree was cut and made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of being a mighty ship and carrying kings had come to an end. The third tree was cut into large pieces, and left alone in the dark.
    The years went by, and the trees forgot about their dreams. Then one day, a man and woman came to the barn. She gave birth and they placed the baby in the hay in the feed box that was made from the first tree. The man wished that he could have made a crib for the baby, but this manger would have to do. The tree could feel the importance of this event and knew that it had held the greatest treasure of all time.
    Years later, a group of men got in the fishing boat made from the second tree. One of them was tired and went to sleep. While they were out on the water, a great storm arose and the tree didn’t think it was strong enough to keep the men safe. The men woke the sleeping man, and He stood and said “Peace” and the storm stopped. At this time, the tree knew that it had carried the King of Kings in its boat.
    Finally, someone came and got the third tree. It was carried through the streets as the people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop, the man was nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die at the top of a hill. When Sunday came, the tree came to realize that it was strong enough to stand at the top of the hill and be as close to God as was possible, because Jesus had been crucified on it.
    The moral of this story is that when things don’t seem to be going your way, always know that God has a plan for you. If you place your trust in Him, God will give you great gifts. Each of the trees got what they wanted, just not in the way they had imagined. We don’t always know what God’s plans are for us. We just know that His Ways are not our ways, but His ways are always best. I hope more people will be inspired by God on The Way. May your day be blessed. And may God cradle you in the palm of His hand

9. MARSHA G. says

Trust your own inner guidance.
    Have faith that your steps are
    carrying you toward your dreams.
    Keep your eyes on the heavens
    and believe that your feet will carry you well.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie

10. MARSHA G. says

Start living now.
    Stop saving the good china
    for that special occasion.
    Stop withholding your love
    until that special person materializes.
    Every day you are alive is a special occasion.
    Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God.
    - Mary Manin Morrissey

11. Ann Zimmerman says

In the mid-1970s, before the days of personal computers, I was actually in a computer-related job as a programmer. I read a book that was published in 1971, and although I do not have the book anymore, for some reason I still remember the name of the book, the author, and the only message I still remember from the book. The quote applies to any new endeavor, and although I may have the original punctuation wrong, here is the quote:

THE FEAR OF NEW THINGS, THE EXPECTATION OF FAILURE, AND THE RELUCTANCE TO ADMIT WEAKNESS: ALL HAVE A RETARDING EFFECT ON LEARNING, WHETHER IN A FORMAL CLASSROOM SITUATION OR ON THE JOB.

The Psychology of Computer Programming by Gerald M Weinberg

12. Helene says

I have had this for so long not sure where I got it, but it is taped on my PC for me to see every morning…
    My Savior loves, my Savior lives, my Savior’s ALWAYS there for me, my God He was , my God He is, my God He’s always gonna be!
    PS I love and collect quotes…….

13. Linda C. says

My Father once gave me his advice about the importance of having a savings account, and making regular deposits, right after I got my first job.
    “Unless you are born into money, one day you’re going to have to do without some things … either when you’re young or when you’re old. When you’re young, it’s your choice.”
    ~W.H. Wallis
    The importance of his words his words never left me.
    Hugs,
    Linda C.

14. MARSHA G says

A ball is a circle, no beginning, no end. It keeps us together
    like our Circle of Friends. But the treasure inside for you
    to see is the treasure of friendship you’ve granted to me.

MY OATH TO YOU…

When you are sad……I will dry your tears.

When you are scared……I will comfort your fears.

When you are worried……I will give you hope.

When you are confused…..I will help you cope.

And when you are lost…and can’t see the light, I
    shall be your beacon…shining ever so bright.

This is my oath….. I pledge till the end.

Why you may ask?…..Because you’re my friend.

Signed:
    GOD

15. MARSHA G says

A little girl went to her bedroom and pulled a glass
    jelly jar from its hiding place in the closet.

She poured the change out on the floor and counted it
    carefully. Three times, even.. The total had to be exactly perfect…
    No chance here for mistakes.

Carefully placing the coins back in the jar and twisting on the cap,
    she slipped out the back door and made her way 6 blocks to Rexall’s
    Drug Store with the big red Indian Chief sign above the door.

She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her some attention,
    but he was too busy at this moment. Tess twisted her feet to
    make a scuffing noise. Nothing. She cleared her throat with
    the most disgusting sound she could muster. No good.
    Finally she took a quarter from her jar and banged it on
    the glass counter That did it!

‘And what do you want?’ the pharmacist asked in an annoyed tone
    of voice.. I’m talking to my brother from Chicago whom I haven’t
    seen in ages,’ he said without waiting for a reply to his question.

‘Well, I want to talk to you about my brother,’ Tess answered back
    in the same annoyed tone. ‘He’s really, really sick…..and I want
    to buy a miracle.’

‘I beg your pardon?’ said the pharmacist.

‘His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing
    inside his head and my Daddy says only a miracle can save
    him now. So how much does a miracle cost?’

‘We don’t sell miracles here, little girl. I’m sorry but I
    can’t help you,’ the pharmacist said, softening a little.

‘Listen, I have the enough money to pay for it. If it isn’t
    enough, I will get the rest. Just tell me how much it costs.’

The pharmacist’s brother was a well-dressed man. He
    stooped down and asked the little girl, ‘What kind of
    a miracle does your brother need?’

‘ I don’t know,’ Tess replied with her eyes welling up. I just
    know he’s really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation.
    But my Daddy can’t pay for it, so I want to use my money..’

‘How much do you have?’ asked the man from Chicago

‘One dollar and eleven cents,’ Tess answered barely audible.

‘And it’s all the money I have, but I can get some more
    if I need to.’

‘Well, what a coincidence,’ smiled the man. ‘A dollar and
    eleven cents—the exact price of a miracle for little brothers.’

He took her money in one hand and with the other hand
    he grasped her mitten and said ‘Take me to where you live.
    I want to see your brother and meet your parents Let’s see if I
    have the miracle you need.’

That well-dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a
    surgeon, specializing in neuro-surgery.
    The operation was completed free of charge and it
    wasn’t long until Andrew was home again and doing well.

Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of
    events that had led them to this place.

‘That surgery,’ her Mom whispered. ‘was a real miracle. I
    wonder how much it would have cost?’

Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle cost….
    one dollar and eleven cents…plus the faith of a little child.

In our lives, we never know how many miracles we will need.

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but the operation
    of a higher law.

16. nellie diaz says

i love all your recipes i have never had southern food before, and your dishes are so easy to make thats one of thing i really enjoy is the step by step meals it,s like you beening in kitchen with me i would rate you a 10 in my book ,thank you very much Christy for opening the doors for folks my like self that never tasted this kind meals

17. JULIA SCOTT says

Things in life are sometimes uncertain and we make choices everyday, sometimes hard ones. I’ve found that this quote has stood up for me thru thick and thin. “If you don’t know whether to do something or not, don’t do it.”

18. J. McMurry says

Dear Christy – I’m shocked that you would take the time to even read these comments let alone share with others! I have a group of 8 special ladies all scattered across the US of A who have stood by me during this past year and have helped to lift me up when I was so down. I’ve dubbed them my “Dancing in the Rain Sisters”…….and we all (9 counting me) have become extremely close…..some know each other and there are a couple who haven’t met any of the others except through our emails. We range in age from 40′s to 70′s and all have been through marriage problems, health problems, death of spouses, etc. I had to share your newsletter with them and encouraged them to all sign up to receive your “offerings”. On the wall of the room I spent so many days receiving chemotherapy was written the saying “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass…it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!” And, when I was completely bald this past winter from the chemo, my sister helped me walk outside one day when it was lightly raining (we live in the Phoenix, AZ area….not too much rain here!)….and for the first time in my life I felt rain drops on my head…..it was wonderful. I’ve learned to count tiny things as blessings. And I thoroughly enjoy reading your letters. You sound like you’d be the perfect neighbor for anyone! And….thank you for enjoying what my special hubby wrote about me and our relationship….this past May we had our 44th anniversary…..a month later we were shocked to learn that I was in a remission…..to go from Stage 4 ovarian cancer on January 15, 2010 to a remission as of July, 2010 only means God using fantastic doctors. I am so blessed. Julie McMurry

19. Phyllis Seaton says

Christy, you asked us to ignore your dirty dishes. There’s a little poem that goes–”Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may be hungry, we’re eating very well”

20. LOUISE says

THESE ARE NOT EXACTLY QUOTES BUT YOU HAVE SO MANY GRANDMAMAS , I THOUGH YOU WOULD ENJOY THIS
    GRANDMA
    SHE’S THERE FOR YOU
    WHEN YOU ARE SAD AND BLUE
    SHE’S THERE WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY TOO
    SHE LAUGHS AND CALLS YOU HONEY
    AND IF YOU’RE BROKE
    SHE’LL LEND YOU MONEY

AND THIS ONE I KEEP OVER MY DESK
    I AM A BIG TALKER
    OH LORD KEEP YOU ARM AROUND MY SHOULDER
    AND YOU’;RE HAND OVER MY MOUTH

NOW I AM GOING TO MAKE THOSE “SNOWBALL” PECAN COOKIES
    AND I AM MAKING YOUR S’MORES KIT FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU SEND AND FOR BEING A DELIGHT TO READ YOUR STORIES

21. Megan Hache says

Not all who wander are lost.

I love this one

Life (a good life) is not lived waiting for the storm to pass.
    It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
    Thanks for your site Love Megan
    How about this. If you can talk you can sing. If you can walk you can dance. Byeeeeeeee

22. Cheryl says

I was very touched by your letter. We all go through difficulties; it is how we handle them that count. I can tell you know the Lord. It is when we praise him that we see the hand of GOD. I pray that you continue to enjoy life and that the Lord uses your positive spirit to minister to others!

1. [...] Submitted by Janet. Thank you, Janet! Bookmark on DeliciousDigg this postRecommend on FacebookShare with StumblersShare on technoratiTweet about itSubscribe to the comments on this postTell a friend Posted by Christy Jordan on Apr 22 2012. Filed under headline, Side Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry [...]