Give A Penny, Get A Penny

lincoln_pennies

Give A Penny, Get A Penny

Most gas stations in the South have little change dishes by the register. If you’re paying for a transaction and need an extra penny or two, you simply take one from the dish. People then reciprocate this good turn by dropping a few coins in the dish from time to time, thereby creating a community bank of sorts, based on goodwill.

So in that spirit, this is Southern Plate’s “Give A Penny, Get A Penny” page.” I dearly love positive quotes and am always scouring the web for more so I thought this would be a great place to compile all of those. I’ll post mine, you post yours, and we can all “Give A Penny” when we have one and come back to “Get A Penny” when we need one.

I’ll also draw on these quotes to include at the bottom of my posts and emails that I send out to Southern Plate readers and be sure to credit the person who provided it, so include a link to your blog if you have one.

I would consider it a personal favor if you’d take the time to share a quote of motivation or positivity in the comments section below. Quote yourself, your Mama, someone famous, or our best friend “Anonymous”, it doesn’t matter, long as you drop your penny and then come back on one of those days when you feel like you might need one yourself.

Some of my favorite quotes to start us off

“Pretend you’re a star and poke a hole in someone’s darkness”

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
~Abraham Lincoln

“Squeeze every bit of love you can out of life, and life will HUG you back like never before” ~Ticha from Facebook

Comments

1. Carolyn Tyler says

When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.” Winston Churchill

2. Jackie says

“The loss of loved ones almost inevitably brings some regrets to our hearts. Let’s minimize such feelings as much as humanly possible by frequently expressing our love and gratitude to them. We never know how soon it will be too late.” ~Thomas S. Monson

3. Jackie says

“Not everyone can be a star quarterback; not everyone can be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company; not everyone can win a gold medal at the Olympics; but everyone—everyone—can live in thanksgiving daily.” ~Joseph B. Wirthlin

4. Jackie says

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” ~Etienne de Grellet

5. Jenny says

“Everybody talks about wanting to change things and help and fix, but ultimately all you can do is fix yourself. And that’s a lot. Because if you can fix yourself, it has a ripple effect.” – Rob Reiner

6. Liz Stark says

“For whatever it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. Courtney in FL says

“Always have faith and a smile” -Courtney Linder (that would be me) (I’m quoting myself because I have never heard it quoted by someone else, but if credit is due elsewhere, then I humbly give them credit.) :)

8. Jackie says

“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

9. nellie diaz says

i love all your recipes i have never had southern food before, and your dishes are so easy to make thats one of thing i really enjoy is the step by step meals it,s like you beening in kitchen with me i would rate you a 10 in my book ,thank you very much Christy for opening the doors for folks my like self that never tasted this kind meals

10. JULIA SCOTT says

Things in life are sometimes uncertain and we make choices everyday, sometimes hard ones. I’ve found that this quote has stood up for me thru thick and thin. “If you don’t know whether to do something or not, don’t do it.”

11. J. McMurry says

Dear Christy – I’m shocked that you would take the time to even read these comments let alone share with others! I have a group of 8 special ladies all scattered across the US of A who have stood by me during this past year and have helped to lift me up when I was so down. I’ve dubbed them my “Dancing in the Rain Sisters”…….and we all (9 counting me) have become extremely close…..some know each other and there are a couple who haven’t met any of the others except through our emails. We range in age from 40′s to 70′s and all have been through marriage problems, health problems, death of spouses, etc. I had to share your newsletter with them and encouraged them to all sign up to receive your “offerings”. On the wall of the room I spent so many days receiving chemotherapy was written the saying “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass…it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!” And, when I was completely bald this past winter from the chemo, my sister helped me walk outside one day when it was lightly raining (we live in the Phoenix, AZ area….not too much rain here!)….and for the first time in my life I felt rain drops on my head…..it was wonderful. I’ve learned to count tiny things as blessings. And I thoroughly enjoy reading your letters. You sound like you’d be the perfect neighbor for anyone! And….thank you for enjoying what my special hubby wrote about me and our relationship….this past May we had our 44th anniversary…..a month later we were shocked to learn that I was in a remission…..to go from Stage 4 ovarian cancer on January 15, 2010 to a remission as of July, 2010 only means God using fantastic doctors. I am so blessed. Julie McMurry

12. Phyllis Seaton says

Christy, you asked us to ignore your dirty dishes. There’s a little poem that goes–”Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may be hungry, we’re eating very well”

13. LOUISE says

THESE ARE NOT EXACTLY QUOTES BUT YOU HAVE SO MANY GRANDMAMAS , I THOUGH YOU WOULD ENJOY THIS
    GRANDMA
    SHE’S THERE FOR YOU
    WHEN YOU ARE SAD AND BLUE
    SHE’S THERE WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY TOO
    SHE LAUGHS AND CALLS YOU HONEY
    AND IF YOU’RE BROKE
    SHE’LL LEND YOU MONEY

AND THIS ONE I KEEP OVER MY DESK
    I AM A BIG TALKER
    OH LORD KEEP YOU ARM AROUND MY SHOULDER
    AND YOU’;RE HAND OVER MY MOUTH

NOW I AM GOING TO MAKE THOSE “SNOWBALL” PECAN COOKIES
    AND I AM MAKING YOUR S’MORES KIT FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU SEND AND FOR BEING A DELIGHT TO READ YOUR STORIES

14. Megan Hache says

Not all who wander are lost.

I love this one

Life (a good life) is not lived waiting for the storm to pass.
    It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
    Thanks for your site Love Megan
    How about this. If you can talk you can sing. If you can walk you can dance. Byeeeeeeee

1. [...] Submitted by Janet. Thank you, Janet! Bookmark on DeliciousDigg this postRecommend on FacebookShare with StumblersShare on technoratiTweet about itSubscribe to the comments on this postTell a friend Posted by Christy Jordan on Apr 22 2012. Filed under headline, Side Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry [...]