Give A Penny, Get A Penny

lincoln_pennies

Give A Penny, Get A Penny

Most gas stations in the South have little change dishes by the register. If you’re paying for a transaction and need an extra penny or two, you simply take one from the dish. People then reciprocate this good turn by dropping a few coins in the dish from time to time, thereby creating a community bank of sorts, based on goodwill.

So in that spirit, this is Southern Plate’s “Give A Penny, Get A Penny” page.” I dearly love positive quotes and am always scouring the web for more so I thought this would be a great place to compile all of those. I’ll post mine, you post yours, and we can all “Give A Penny” when we have one and come back to “Get A Penny” when we need one.

I’ll also draw on these quotes to include at the bottom of my posts and emails that I send out to Southern Plate readers and be sure to credit the person who provided it, so include a link to your blog if you have one.

I would consider it a personal favor if you’d take the time to share a quote of motivation or positivity in the comments section below. Quote yourself, your Mama, someone famous, or our best friend “Anonymous”, it doesn’t matter, long as you drop your penny and then come back on one of those days when you feel like you might need one yourself.

Some of my favorite quotes to start us off

“Pretend you’re a star and poke a hole in someone’s darkness”

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
~Abraham Lincoln

“Squeeze every bit of love you can out of life, and life will HUG you back like never before” ~Ticha from Facebook

Comments

1. Cheryl In Texas says

I have three that I want to share, as I love them all. I teach school and the last two I have on my classroom walls.

In the final analysis, it is not what you do for your children

but what you have taught them to do for themselves

that will make them successful human beings.

—Ann Landers

The simple act of paying attention can take you a long way.

Keanu Reeves

If you think you can do a thing or

think you can’t do a thing, you’re right.

Henry Ford

2. MARSHA G says

“It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.” – Dr. Seuss

They say I’m old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast! -Dr. Seuss
    Boy do I agree with the second one because I can’t seem to keep to keep up with progress!

3. Tanesha says

Something I always say to myself is to keep a family happy & friendship forever is to never let them borrow money and always feed someone if there hungry. And that way you all say full and happy!!!

P.S. And you will still have pocket full of money. LOL!!!!

4. Sharon Ryder says

I’ve got a new favorite quote from the newest book I’m reading, “The Circle Maker”. It goes like this: “If Jesus has not said come, you had better stay in the boat and not try to walk on the water.”
    I wish I’d had that one much earlier in life, it would have saved me from a lot of choking :-)

5. Kim C says

“It’s hard to be upset with someone you’re praying for.”
    - A Friend

“The truth of God’s love is not that He allows bad things to happen, it’s his promise that he will be there with us–when they do.”
    ― Janette Oke

6. MARSHA G. says

This should probably be taped to your bathroom mirror
    where one could read it every day..
    You may not realize it, but it’s 100% true.
    1. There are at least two people in this world that you would die for.
    2. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.
    3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
    4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don’t like you.
    5. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
    6. You mean the world to someone.
    7. You are special and unique.
    8. Someone that you don’t even know exists loves you.
    9. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.
    10. When you think the world has turned its back on you take another look.
    11. Always remember the compliments you received.. Forget about the rude remarks.

7. Lynda Adair says

Love the positive quotes and sayings. I’m listing them to keep to help when I.m down or blue or to lift up someone else. Just this morning I read this one from Charlie Daniels, yes the singer/fiddler, who has a great message daily on Facebook.

” A bad attitude and a flat tire are alot alike. You have to change them in order for things to get better!”

May you all have a great day and love folks. You’ll be amazed how a little kindness and love makes someone’s bad day or attitude have some sunshine!

8. C.E.M. says

“Be like the flower that gives its fragrance to even the hand that crushes it.”
    -Imam Ali

“It is good to love…for therein lies the true strength, and whoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.”

- Vincent van Gogh

9. Rene says

I saw this quote in the July, 2014 “Relish” insert in our newspaper and thought of you:
    “No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.” –Laurie Colwin, novelist

10. nellie diaz says

i love all your recipes i have never had southern food before, and your dishes are so easy to make thats one of thing i really enjoy is the step by step meals it,s like you beening in kitchen with me i would rate you a 10 in my book ,thank you very much Christy for opening the doors for folks my like self that never tasted this kind meals

11. JULIA SCOTT says

Things in life are sometimes uncertain and we make choices everyday, sometimes hard ones. I’ve found that this quote has stood up for me thru thick and thin. “If you don’t know whether to do something or not, don’t do it.”

12. J. McMurry says

Dear Christy – I’m shocked that you would take the time to even read these comments let alone share with others! I have a group of 8 special ladies all scattered across the US of A who have stood by me during this past year and have helped to lift me up when I was so down. I’ve dubbed them my “Dancing in the Rain Sisters”…….and we all (9 counting me) have become extremely close…..some know each other and there are a couple who haven’t met any of the others except through our emails. We range in age from 40′s to 70′s and all have been through marriage problems, health problems, death of spouses, etc. I had to share your newsletter with them and encouraged them to all sign up to receive your “offerings”. On the wall of the room I spent so many days receiving chemotherapy was written the saying “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass…it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!” And, when I was completely bald this past winter from the chemo, my sister helped me walk outside one day when it was lightly raining (we live in the Phoenix, AZ area….not too much rain here!)….and for the first time in my life I felt rain drops on my head…..it was wonderful. I’ve learned to count tiny things as blessings. And I thoroughly enjoy reading your letters. You sound like you’d be the perfect neighbor for anyone! And….thank you for enjoying what my special hubby wrote about me and our relationship….this past May we had our 44th anniversary…..a month later we were shocked to learn that I was in a remission…..to go from Stage 4 ovarian cancer on January 15, 2010 to a remission as of July, 2010 only means God using fantastic doctors. I am so blessed. Julie McMurry

13. Phyllis Seaton says

Christy, you asked us to ignore your dirty dishes. There’s a little poem that goes–”Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may be hungry, we’re eating very well”

14. LOUISE says

THESE ARE NOT EXACTLY QUOTES BUT YOU HAVE SO MANY GRANDMAMAS , I THOUGH YOU WOULD ENJOY THIS
    GRANDMA
    SHE’S THERE FOR YOU
    WHEN YOU ARE SAD AND BLUE
    SHE’S THERE WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY TOO
    SHE LAUGHS AND CALLS YOU HONEY
    AND IF YOU’RE BROKE
    SHE’LL LEND YOU MONEY

AND THIS ONE I KEEP OVER MY DESK
    I AM A BIG TALKER
    OH LORD KEEP YOU ARM AROUND MY SHOULDER
    AND YOU’;RE HAND OVER MY MOUTH

NOW I AM GOING TO MAKE THOSE “SNOWBALL” PECAN COOKIES
    AND I AM MAKING YOUR S’MORES KIT FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU SEND AND FOR BEING A DELIGHT TO READ YOUR STORIES

15. Megan Hache says

Not all who wander are lost.

I love this one

Life (a good life) is not lived waiting for the storm to pass.
    It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
    Thanks for your site Love Megan
    How about this. If you can talk you can sing. If you can walk you can dance. Byeeeeeeee

1. [...] Submitted by Janet. Thank you, Janet! Bookmark on DeliciousDigg this postRecommend on FacebookShare with StumblersShare on technoratiTweet about itSubscribe to the comments on this postTell a friend Posted by Christy Jordan on Apr 22 2012. Filed under headline, Side Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry [...]