Apple Fritters and Fall Days

Apple Fritters

My first memories of apple fritters come from a family trip to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee when I was about seven years old. Up until then, I’d never had them before but it was obvious that my parents were no strangers as they hunted down one particular restaurant just to partake of the treat, served alongside apple butter for dipping.

Apple lovers seem to hold these little hand held delights in such high regard that their eyes glaze over when talking of them. I’ve had more readers than I can count ask me if I had an apple fritter recipe and so today I’m bringing you my very own recipe for them, one that my husband swears could bring about world peace if I played my cards right and kept the sides of apple butter coming.

Speaking of family trips, around these parts fall is the prime time for family outings. We have festivals galore throughout the south and we’ve been getting a head start on this by going on family “adventures” each weekend. We choose one day to get up early and all pile into the car headed off. We don’t tell the kids where we are going and they love the surprise of not finding out until we get there.

We started this a few weeks back and its done wonders for our sanity as well as our sense of togetherness as a family. What started out as something mainly for the kids has become the one thing we all look forward to the most all week long. So far we’ve gone to a historic mill in Belvedere, Tennessee, a day trip to my Papa Reed’s farm, and this past weekend we really surprised them by taking them to Alabama Adventures, an amusement park in Bessemer, Alabama. I have the next three weekend “adventures” planned but I can’t post them here because my Bradybug reads Southern Plate!

We always took little day trips like this when I was a girl, too. If you can, I hope you’ll take some time off this weekend to do something special with your family. It can be as simple as taking lunch out to the back yard for a picnic versus eating at the table, walking around your neighborhood and seeing how many different varieties of leaves you can find, or just going out for a drive one afternoon. In the hectic pace of 2009, its nice to be able to slow down and savor time spent with family like folks did in the old days. I promise you that the simplest of outings will be remembered for lifetimes to come.

How ’bout them fritters?

alabama adventures and fritters 081

You’ll need: Milk, brown sugar, apples, eggs, melted margarine, cinnamon, and self rising flour.

Before you mix up your batter, pour about 1/2 inch of oil into a skillet and put it on medium heat on your stove eye so it will be ready to fry in.

alabama adventures and fritters 082

In a medium sized bowl, place your flour, sugar, and cinnamon.

alabama adventures and fritters 083

Stir that up well, breaking up any sugar lumps as you go.

Now you know if any of those lumps are really stubborn, its bad luck not to eat them. :)

In fact, I think it should be considered bad luck not to eat a pinch of brown sugar every time you cook with it.

alabama adventures and fritters 087

add in your milk and melted margarine

alabama adventures and fritters 093

Add in eggs

alabama adventures and fritters 095

Stir that up good.

alabama adventures and fritters 096

Peel and dice up your apples.

alabama adventures and fritters 097

Toss that into your batter.

alabama adventures and fritters 098

Until it looks like this.

Now you’re ready to go!

alabama adventures and fritters 109

Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil.

I use a big spoon that holds about 1/8 of a cup but feel free to make these as large or as small as you like.

alabama adventures and fritters 108

After they get browned on one side, turn them over to brown on the other.

alabama adventures and fritters 110

Place the on a paper towel lined plate.

alabama adventures and fritters 111

If you like, you can roll some in confectioner’s sugar or just sprinkle confectioner’s sugar over them. I put some in a pie plate and roll them a bit but I usually only do this with half of them since we can never decide which we like best!

The cool thing about doing half in sugar and half plain is that you have to eat at least one of each!

See? I work on these angles for y’all!

alabama adventures and fritters 120

Here are my little sugared fritters

alabama adventures and fritters 117

and get a gander at these unpowdered ones.

See how hard it is to choose?

alabama adventures and fritters 121

This recipe makes about two dozen and you’ll notice that several of those didn’t make it to this photograph.

These mysterious hands started snatching them off the platter on the way and I heard choruses of “yummm” as a result.

alabama adventures and fritters 122

I did volunteer to take a bite of one so y’all could see all the chunks of apple inside.

These are so moist and delicious!

alabama adventures and fritters 123

And then I thought I wouldn’t be doing y’all right unless I showed you what it looked like with a little apple butter slathered on.

~sighs heavily~ Oh the things I do just for you.

~gobbles up the fritter dutifully with a twinkle in her eye~

Apple Fritters
  • 2 cups apples, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups self rising flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  1. Mix flour, sugar, and cinnamon together using a fork to break up any lumps.
  2. Add in milk, melted margarine, and eggs. Stir well to combine.
  3. Peel and dice apples, add to batter, stirring in.
  4. Drop by ⅛ cup fulls into hot oil and turn to allow to brown on both sides.
  5. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Dust with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
  6. Serve with apple butter.

To get my recipe for crock pot apple butter, click here.

Sidenote to anyone who might get a cold this year:

I am just finishing off the first good cold of the season and thought I’d share a little tidbit with you that our family Doctor had us try when our oldest was just a baby. We have one of those great common sense doctors who shares all sorts of little tidbits for care beyond prescriptions and such.

You know how little noses get all raw when a cold comes on? Sore and red, you feel so sorry for the little guys! My doctor said to take some plain old chapstick…

Break off a bit like this and warm it between your fingers. Then smear it around your little ones (or yours!) sore nose and you’ll feel instant relief. This also helps heal the soreness and prevent more from happening. I use it on my kids as soon as they start getting colds and such, it’s a great preventative! Hopefully you won’t need this anytime soon but I thought I’d share this little common sense remedy that has saved a lot of discomfort in my house!

Whatever you are, be a good one.

~Abraham Lincoln. Submit your quote here.

alabama adventures and fritters 078

Me and my younguns at Alabama Adventures.

My Three :)

1. Panda says

Christy, I know exactly which restaurant in Tennesse you spoke about at the start of this post…I vacation in the Smokies every fall, and no trip is complete without at least 1 trip to that place! I’m not really a fan of cooked apples, but oh my gosh, those fritters are gooooood! Can’t wait to try yours now, too. Thanks so much!

2. Cathy says

We are heading to the Smokey Mtns. next week and plan to eat at that particular restaurant on Wednesday. We always bring home the fried apple pies…. yummy. Thanks Christy for a wonderful site… I visit often and always stay awhile.

3. Jane P. says

Today is September 3,2015 and has nothing to do with a recipe. Your post today showed strength and conviction and I applaud you for standing up for your faith. You are absolutely justified in doing so and putting any negativity where it belongs, behind you. People can be so judgemental and forceful in attempting to put their beliefs in the forefront, when they should just accept the belief of others as their right to choose. You have the courage to stand up and speak up for your beliefs and that is a most admirable trait. Congratulations on a piece well written and getting your message across so masterfully. God Bless!!!

4. Kathy K. says

It’s always seemed to me that the atheists of this world don’t like freedom of speech, let alone freedom of religion, and are intolerant, argumentative, and believe in minority rule. We just seem to be able to pull their chains without even half trying.

But, maybe I’m being unfair; maybe we never hear from the tolerant, respectful, and un-mouthy atheists of this world. 8)

I liked what you said, and your Scripture verse. My personal favorite is Isaiah 40:31 (KJV).

5. Mandee Pate says

Amen! Very well put , Greater is He within you than he that is in the world! Wanted to add if you don’t have chap stick vaseline works wonders too, ofcourse a little goes a long way :)

6. Sharon Carson says

Christy, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your “steadfastness” in speaking out about your faith. I cannot count how many times I have read something in your emails that has inspired or convicted me. Just yesterday, you included a quote from Jon Acuff about God recruiting from the pit, not the pedestal, and it spoke right to my heart in a most profound way. I felt like those words were written expressly for my nephew, who is down in the beautiful South right now, in a Christian mission for rehabilitation after many years of drug abuse. He went there a self-professed atheist and has been immersed in the Word on a daily basis during his stay. He has successfully graduated from the resident program and was asked to stay on for counselor’s training, which he also successfully completed. He is currently performing the role of counseling other men and women that have entered the program for various addiction issues. I learned through speaking with him, the toll addiction took on his perception of self-worth, and overall ability to function from day to day. Christy, this was a young man who scored 1200 on the SAT college-prep test in the 8th grade!!!! He, like many others dealing with addiction suffered quite a “fall from grace”, and it affected his perception of self-worth tremendously, which only sent him further into addiction. It was a vicious cycle for him. Unfortunately, it took the untimely passing of his sister to bring him around to seek help for his addiction issue. It has not been an easy battle for him, but his experiences at the mission have opened his eyes to his need for God’s grace and healing and I can gratefully say that he is seeking God’s will for his life going forward. He has been ‘clean’ since April of 2014, and will officially “graduate” from the program in November. Next time I correspond with my nephew, I fully intend to include yesterday’s quote, as a means of encouragement for him. Thank you again for such a timely, thoughtful post. And please don’t pay attention to those who make inappropriate, rude comments about your witness for Christ. Just keep storin’ treasures up in Heaven, girl. You never know how many lives you might touch.

7. Cheryl says

Apple fritters…YUM! I suppose making them at 2am is pushing it?

Hey Christy,
    To those who are offended by your speaking of your beliefs, just don’t read them!
    Just skip over them and go to the receipes.

I look forward to these “talks” each day.
    I am sooo fed up with the negative, offending trash that I come across each day on social media, that this website is a blessing and pure joy.
    Thanks Christy and here it comes…GOD BLESS YOU!

8. Deirdre Henry says

I am going to try your method of making Apple Fritters. I usually just make a batter and dip Bramley Cooking apples into it (which I have peeled cored and sliced) and then fry in oil.
    Thank you for recipe.
    A comment on your Faith. I am a practising Roman Catholic and I have never taken offence to any of your wonderful quotes and sayings. You come across as a very caring and devout person, who I would love to have as a friend if I lived in America. Don’t mind the” begrudgers,” if they are offended they don’t have to read your wonderful posts.
    My thanks to you always. Deirdre

9. LaVona Sundquist says

want to try the fritters soon. But what I like best is your courage to stand up to those that won’t accept your beliefs. It’s a balm to my soul. God is so good and what a friend we have in Jesus.

10. Doris says

Christy,Thank-You for standing up for the Lord,and what you believe in.You have always inspired me.I look forward to your emails and all the wonderful things you share.Keep up the good work!God bless you and yours.