BIG News About Velveeta and Me! (and Mama’s Mac and Cheese)

Kitchenista Badge_Blue Background

Nowadays, families are spending less time eating out and more time at the dinner table. With our busy schedules, we’re looking for no hassle recipes that our families will love. That’s why the makers of VELVEETA are encouraging families to VELVEETA it!-to create a dish that is quick and easy but a guaranteed home run at the dinner table!

To showcase the versatility, taste, and convenience of VELVEETA, they decided to team up with five Mom Bloggers, also known as the “VELVEETA It! Kitchenistas” who will serve up 25 recipe ideas over the course of five weeks from September 28, 2009 to October 30, 2009.

Visitors to Velveetakitchenistas.com can meet the Kitchenistas, check out their ideas, and have the opportunity to enter a daily qualified sweepstakes for a chance to win a VELVEETA It! Prize package, complete with a $25.00 grocery gift card, Cuisinart skillet, Velveeta cookbook, loaf saver, and product coupon!

GUESS WHAT?

I’m ONE OF THE KITCHENISTAS!!!

I’ll be over at VELVEETA It! on Thursdays where I’ll be hosting Tasty Traditions Thursdays, sharing stories and tips for family traditions that center around the kitchen and how you can make new traditions with your family! Some time during this month VELVEETA It! will bring you my original recipe which I developed with busy schedules in mind!

I’ll also be answering questions and talking with readers on Thursdays at Velveeta’s Facebook page. Special thanks to Velveeta for this amazing opportunity and special thanks to you all for making Southern Plate such a wonderful community that great companies such as Velveeta want to reach out to!

I’ve partnered with VELVEETA to serve as one of five VELVEETA it! Kitchenistas. I’ve been compensated for my time commitment to the program, which includes writing about my cooking experiences, tips and advice at Velveetakitchenistas.com; developing one VELVEETA-based recipe; and hosting “office hours” on the VELVEETA Facebook page. I have also been compensated for the food purchased for my VELVEETA recipe. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.

And NOW for a Velveeta favorite from my childhood, My Mama’s Macaroni and Cheese!

maccheesemama-230

My sainted mother made her special homemade mac and cheese this past Easter and took all of these photos so that I could bring it to you. I have had so many readers asking for Mama’s recipe!

You’ll need:

• Velveeta!
  • Macaroni pasta
  • Milk
  • Flour
  • Margarine
  • and a wee bit of salt and pepper

If possible, don’t tell your family you are making this. Whenever I do they tromp in and out of the kitchen over and over and over wanting to know when its done. I prefer to SPRING it on ‘em!

SURPRISE! I made Grandmama’s Mac and Cheese!!!!!

• While you are assembling your cheese sauce, boil your pasta according to package directions and cooking until almost done.

maccheesemama-231

Cube your Velveeta and fill a cereal bowl with it. Mama’s original recipe calls for a Corelle bowl filled with Velveeta. Of course, we measured it for this post and that is about two cups. You’ll find a lot of “two’s” in this recipe so it should be easy to remember once you make it  a time or two! ~giggles and wonders if you caught that..~

Honestly, life is so much nicer when you are easily amused!

maccheesemama-232

In the dish you are going to bake your Mac and Cheese in, place two tablespoons of margarine and melt that in the microwave

maccheesemama-233

Add two tablespoons of flour and stir

Isn’t it neat that Mama has the date on her camera? I turned mine off because I was never organized to keep the thing on the right date…

maccheesemama-234

Salt and pepper to taste. If you want a starting point, I’d go for a teaspoon of salt and 1/4 of a teaspoon of pepper.

maccheesemama-235

Stir in two cups milk.

maccheesemama-236

Pour in cheese cubes. Place this in the microwave and heat for thirty to forty five seconds, then stir.

Repeat this until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.

maccheesemama-237

Pour in drained macaroni and stir.

Bake at 350 for about twenty minutes (another two there).

dscn00031

Call out that it’s ready and prepare for  the stampede!

Mama’s Mac And Cheese

• 2 C Velveeta, cubed
  • 2 C Whole Milk
  • 2 T Flour
  • 2 T Margarine
  • 2 C Dry Macaroni

1. Cover Macaroni with water and cook until almost done, drain well. In bowl, melt margarine in microwave. Stir in flour. Stir in milk. Salt and Pepper to taste. Pour cubed cheese into milk mixture and microwave at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring often. Stir in cooked macaroni. Place in oven safe dish and bake, uncovered, at 350 for twenty minutes.

“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.”

~Mother Teresa (Submitted by Southern Plate Reader, Mary)

Comments

1. Terri go Dawgs says

What an awesome honor, Christy, to be chosen by Kraft!! I remember as a child many a snack that was just a huge hunk of our ever-present Velveeta . Mama’s father was an Acctg. executive at Kraft his whole life, so I am a Kraft girl alllll the way. We love our Kraft and love that Velveeta! Christy, I am SO thrilled for you. Congrats! Love ya!

2. Debbie in Texas says

Congratulations Christy! I can’t wait to see your recipe. One of my family’s all-time favorite snacks has always been Velveeta cheese with Rotel tomato dip, sometimes I add ground meet seasoned with taco seasonings. You just can’t beat it! Anyway, have fun developing the new recipe!

3. Foustein says

Christy, Yummo on your Mama’s Mac and cheese. I “tweaked” it just a tad–a couple of drops of Tobasco Sauce and added some Panko breadcrumbs on top when I baked it. The little bit of crunch was the icing on the cake,so to speak. I used the dark crumbs but you can use the ones of your choice. Girlfriend, just keep the goodies coming.

Foustein

4. Ticha Godsey says

Congrats Christy!! I make my mac and cheese the same way but I use cream instead of milk and I top it with cheddar. Excellent recipe, I never have any left when I make it either. :) big hugs from TN

5. Elaine says

Macaroni and cheese was the first dish we made in my high school freshman home ec class. I couldn’t wauit to make it at home for my family. Our basic lesson was to make white sauce. I latered figured out that the school received government surplus cheese, butter, and powdered milk so no wonder the teacher was so sold on this dish. It was next to free to prpare and it is still a good, thrifty dish. I sometimes add canned stewed tomatoes. Best of luck with your new endeavor.

6. Donna(florida) says

I only like mac and cheese with Velveeta. I hate it plain so I have always added a can of smooshed tomatoes. It gives it a great kick in flavor.Yummo!Congrats on all your accomplishments Christie! My neighbors said they will weigh 400 lbs. from eating all of your good food! They are my taste testers.

7. Teresa Ballard says

This mac and cheese looks wonderful. I have loved reading your recipes and comments. Love your sense of humor.
    My mother always made pimento cheese with Velveeta and I love to make it too. It is a very simple recipe. You just cube and melt a block of Velveeta, add a big ole spoonful of mayo and a jar of pimentos. We always had it on toasted bread and HAD to have it with tomato soup. MMM! After my mother died, I would make it for my father when he went to NC to visit his brother. They stayed at our mtn house and lived on pimento cheese and tomato sandwiches until the supply ran out!

8. Betty says

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your website. It is the best recipe site I have found because I love the way you show pictures of all the ingredients as well as step by step pictures so we know we are preparing the dish exactly right. My niece gave me a recipe for oreo balls and by just following the written recipe I had it entirely wrong. I chopped the oreos and the chunks were too big. Had no idea until I saw the recipe on your site that the oreos were to be pulberized into a powder before mixing with the soften cream cheese. Thanks for giving an old retired lady a way to spend the time in her day.

9. BJ says

I love this Mac and Cheese recipe! For years, I have made my mom’s easy Mac and Cheese which is just macaroni, a little salt and pepper, a can of cheddar cheese soup mixed with a can of evaporated milk and some chunks of velveeta. Mix the sauce with the cooked, drained macaroni, put in baking dish and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Back until heated through and sauce starts to bubble. Since I have started making your Mama’s Mac and cheese it has become a family favorite. Thanks again Christy (I seem to be saying that a lot lately. Tomorrow, I’m trying your chicken made with BBQ sauce and Coca Cola!/bj

10. MARSHA FROM TEXAS says

Congrats Christy on being chosen! I accidentally ran across your site looking for a recipe and became a HUGE FAN! I will be even huger if I eat all the yummy stuff. I also make pimento cheese with Velveeta and it makes the most AWESOME grilled cheese. I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip that you are getting ready to leave on. Thank you for all the stories stirring up many wonderful memories.