Grandma Lucy’s Pimento Cheese – It’s a Southern Thang

hmm 381

Today I’m bringing you a much beloved recipe from the South. From what I read and hear, it isn’t nearly as popular outside of our little geographic region as it is here, but folks in these parts consider it a staple in every home!

Long before the days of snack cakes and convenience foods, Pimento Cheese sandwiches dominated minds when it came to a “quick bite to eat” or a “little lunch”. They were cheap and delicious on plain old white bread, although I serve mine on wheat these days.

I remember going to Grandmama and Grandaddy’s house and finding one or both sitting at their kitchen table having a pimento cheese sandwich and a glass of milk. They’d always ask “Ya want some puh-men-ah cheese, baby?”. I never refused.

I’ve wanted to get this recipe up on here for a while and asked Grandmama how she made her pimento cheese so I could bring you the taste I remember so well. She immediately said “Oh, now if you want the best pimento cheese, you gotta use Velveeta.”

What better time to bring you this than during my time serving as a Velveeta Kitchenista? I hope you’ve been visiting Velveeta It!’s facebook page this month as myself and four other Mom bloggers present a new Velveeta recipe each day but if you haven’t you can still breeze on over there and catch up on all of the wonderful tips and recipes that have been shared so far! Just visit www.facebook.com/velveeta and be sure to drop a howdy to me there this Thursday when I’ll be hosting Tasty Traditions Thursdays!

DSCN3527

You’ll need: 16 ounce block of Velveeta, Pimentos, and a little Mayo.

southernplate.com 130

Grate your Velveeta. Now Velveeta is a little on the soft side so I found an easy way of doing this. You remember play-doh? Just get your grater out and place the block of Velveeta against it and press into the grater. It comes out the other side quick and easy as can be and ends up being a lot less work than grating a block of cheddar.

Dump in a jar of drained pimentos. I used the small jar which is about 2 ounces.

southernplate.com 131

Add about 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise. You can add more to taste if you like.

southernplate.com 132

Stir that up well.

Grandmama doesn’t salt and pepper hers so I didn’t either. I found it to be utterly sublime as is but feel free to salt and pepper (and even garlic!) yours if you got a hankerin’ to.

Serve on a sandwich or crackers.

These are a standard at every party, too. There is nothing like little finger pimento cheese sandwiches with the crusts trimmed off to add an air of tradition to a gathering!

Did you eat pimento cheese growing up? Do you have a different recipe or a special Pimento Cheese memory?

Tell me about it in the comments!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grandma Lucy’s Pimento Cheese

Grandma Lucy’s Pimento Cheese

• 16 ounce block Velveeta
  • 2 ounce jar Pimentos, drained
  • 1/2 C Mayonnaise

1. Push Velveeta through a grater until all is grated in a bowl. Add Pimentos and Mayo. Stir well. Salt and pepper if desired. Serve on loaf bread.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Today’s quote is one of those that kinda hits you in layers. Hope you enjoy it!

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

St. Francis of Assisi

Submitted by Angela. To submit your quote, click here.

pumpkin

I really enjoyed Maralee Mckee’s post this morning on Trick or Treat Manners.

Click here if you’d like to read it, too!

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

• Debbie Pickard says

I make my pimento cheese with grated mild cheddar, velveeta, evaporated milk, pimentos, vinegar and mayo. The cheese is melted along with the milk. The other ingredients are added. The juice of the pimentos are added also. This is a very creamy version. I usually make 2 quarts at a time. Will last a long time (if you can keep it a long time) in the fridge.

1. Jane P from Asheville, NC says

This is the same way I make mine except I like to add a little cayenne pepper to give it a little kick. You can’t buy “store bought” pimento and cheese that even comes close to homemade! I’d like some right now!!! YUM!!!

2. Sue says

Christy, nothing speaks childhood and comfort food to me like Pimento and Cheese Sandwiches. Mama had 5 kids and I think we all loved it. I’ve tried making it, but of course it just doesn’t taste the same. I think one of the main differences was that mom had an old grater that was made out of cast aluminum and it clamped onto the side of the counter. She would stuff a big chunk of velvetta into it and crank away. The texture was a bit chunkier than a grater…don’t know if that makes a difference. When Mom was up into her 70′s and I’d come to visit, there was always a container of Pimento Cheese in the fridge. Thanks for sharing!

3. Sheila says

You are right on time with the Duke’s mayonaise too! If you grew up with it, nothing is the same without it. We love pimento cheese and always have some around, I rarely make it so I will try this recipe soon. My Grandma’s favorite lunch to give us was homeade soup and pimento cheese and crackers. Nothing better!!!!

4. Konnie says

At Mother’s Day I helped host a Mother’s Day tea for the sweet women at a local nursing home. I made cucumber with butter sandwiches and pimento cheese sandwiches. I was shocked at how many people had no idea what a pimento cheese sandwich was. Just goes to prove that true Floridians and a dying breed. They were all from up north. lol Pimento cheese sandwiches are on my top 5 list for ultimate southern comfort foods. :)

5. Vicky says

Yummmm…homemade Pimento and Cheese!! My Mother’s delicious recipe was American cheese, pimento and Miracle Whip. A lady I worked with, added chopped boiled egg and pickle relish. I do like the added relish. It just might be time to make a batch!!!

6. Torrie in Dacula, GA says

I always ate pimento cheese when I was growing up. I stayed with my grandmother every day, while my parents were at work. We were never without a jar of homemade pimento cheese. Grandmother just grated up cheddar cheese and put in the pimentos and Kraft mayonnaise. Once I was grown and on my own, I would make it and serve it to my friends, who for some reason were just astounded that I made it “homemade.” Then they would beg for my recipe. It is one of my favorite foods. Now, I had some at a little restaurant in Buford, Ga, that was traditional pimento cheese, but they put jalapenos and roasted pecans in it. Then they served it with strawberry jelly. I thought, “This ain’t right,” but once I tried it, I was hooked. It is so good with the strawberry jelly. My grandmother might roll over in her grave, but it really is good. I love pimento cheese because it makes me think of my grandmother, who was the perfect southern cook and woman!! I think I’ll make me some tomorrow – - -

7. KM says

Pimento cheese is a wonderful thing! Here’s a “gourmet” version I stumbled upon a few years ago. Great for parties as a canape: use water crackers.

Equal parts grated sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack
    canned pimento
    pepper infused olive oil

Let the grated cheese get to room temp before mixing ingredients. The olive oil takes the place of mayo, but if you want creamier, add a tablespoon or two of mayo.

Spicy and cheesy cracker spread with that pimento flavor.

8. Karen says

There is a great little restaurant in Tomball, Texas- the Whistle Stop Cafe – that makes an awesome pimento cheese spread – they add chopped jalapeno! The added heat makes a perfect sandwich along side a bowl of homemade soup!

9. Mitzi says

I make mine similar to yours, but with sharp cheddar instead of Velveeta. I also add a little diced jalapeno to give it a kick. It’s funny that growing up in Alabama I hated pimento cheese. As we moved around in the military, we spent 3 years in Augusta, GA where I reconnected with my Southern food roots, and I learned about the homemade pimento cheese that the Masters’ Golf Course serves. After that I was hooked. Now I make it for my California born husband and my Midwestern children. My friends here in Nebraska love it too.

I have also varied the recipe to use pepper jack cheese and artichokes. It is yummy.

10. Leah says

Thank you so much for this recipe! I was born and bred in the South, but never learned to cook at home, and moved up to Massachusetts when I was 17 (by myself — so I still never learned to cook Southern food!). Your website is amazing. I was looking for the pimento cheese recipe tonight because I found a jar of Kraft pimento cheese in the store, and it uses cream cheese — and I thought, “Now I am SURE that my Grandma made her pimento cheese with cheddar and mayonnaise!” In fact, I’m pretty sure she made it just like you do. Now I’m going to have to make some myself!

11. Walter G says

Growin’ up I thought pimento cheese was one of the basic food groups. as an old (OLD) person I find that there are as many different recipes as there are persons who serve it. Its goes great with almost any bread or cracker or raw veggie like celery , it’d probably work on a shingle (except for those asphaltic things.)

12. Clancey says

Wow! That took me back…pimento cheese sandwiches at my grandma’s house were the BEST! We just use mild cheddar, pimentos and Miracle Whip to make ours – simple, easy and the best there is! Discovered by accident that pimento cheese on a Ritz Cracker with just a bit of jalapeno jelly on top is Heaven in a bite!!

13. Sharon Stephenson says

I have one: I use “Rat Trap” cheddar cheese( grated fine), Hellman’s Mayo, boiled eggs, Pimentos (diced), sweet or dill relish, salt and pepper. Mix all together and it is awesome…love it with Fritos…..from a southeast Texas gal! The cheese can be found in my area at HEB, Krogers(I think) or Market Basket. This is the only cheese I cook with! It melts wonderfully and tastes really good! This is an ole family favorite! My mother handed it down to me.

14. jacqueline says

I made this, then used the rest in a grilled cheese :) 2 pieces of cooked Bacon, pimento cheese and then buttered white bread and pan fried . My fiancee ate two of them :) totally bad for you … But YUM !

15. Debbie says

My mother always made pimento cheese with Velveeta, but she melted it in a little milk, then added the drained chopped pimentos, Miracle Whip and a little sugar…..oh, it’s heavenly!! Smooth as silk, spreads like a dream! Try it melted once and you might not go back to grated……

16. Lori Rognlie says

Christy-
    Wow! This brings back lots of memories of my Grandma too! Just a little hint about grating the Velveeta…….she would slightly freeze it to make it easier to grate.

Speaking of Grandma’s, mine used to make a wonderful baked round steak. I would love to find a receipe like it. She would pound flour into the round steak and then she made some sort of sauce with tomato paste, tomato sauce, some mustard and brown sugar ( I know there were probably more ingredients) that she would pour over the steak. She sealed them in foil and then baked them for 2 hours in a slow oven. Any idea whatelse might have been in the sauce? It tasted almost like a BBQ sauce, but she did not add liquid smoke to it. I would appreciate any ideas, guesses or your own receipe.

17. mdp1690 says

I remember having this with my Mom, who also liked to put sweet pickle relish in the mix. I haven’t made it from scratch for years – usually taking the short cut of buying premade from the store (lazy I know and just not the same at all). We used this to stuff celery and for carrots as a dip – anyone else do that? It’s yummy. Thanks for bringing back great memories.

18. Gayle says

I love home made pimento cheese.My recipe would be the same with the exception of ,I use cheddar(my gra ndmother’s way).Next time I will use the velveeta.I’m 73 now and I find every easier and faster recipe I can.It does have to be just as good as the hard way t hough.lol.Hope to see you at the Cornbread Festival this year.South Pittsburg is my home town,where I w as born and raised.My Dad r an the shiipping department for Lodge till he retired.I still have the s ame cast iron skillets etc as I had when I first married in the mid 50s and it is still as good as when new.Nothing like it.The generics out there just don’t get it.lol.

19. Sharon Newberry says

Your recipe is spot on with the way my mother made pimiento cheese spread. It truly makes one of the best tasting comfort food sandwiches I’ve ever had.
    A few years ago, I started (occasionally) making mine (always the same ingredients as yours) with the addition of a couple of light shakes of garlic powder and some finely diced pecans. Those occasional deviations are usually when I take a platter of sandwiches to a get together at church or school where I teach. Everyone raves about them with that small change. It adds a little bit of a crunch, and the flavors really complement the pimiento cheese. I guess you’d kinda call it “dressed up” for a party.

20. Bill Gromer says

The traditional “Sandwich ” that is served at every Masters Golf Tournament is a pimento cheese sandwich. It’s a tradition that goes back over 50 years. They wrap them in green wax paper and only charge $1.50 for it and sell thousands every day. Every time I go to the Masters I have at least two sandwiches a day. I’m sure they use Velvetta cheese, I’d love to see them making them, they must have a big mixer!

Ps., theirs are good, but yours is better. Suggest a little red pepper to kick it up a notch.

21. Kathryn Olsen says

Hi Christy! I’m so glad you are feeling better! I lived in Lakewood, Ohio when I was a kid and we ate pimento cheese sandwiches a lot. We loved them. I thought it was something from the 40′s or 50′s and therefore never had it again. My mom was a northerner, too, but she bought it in little glasses. I.think your recipes are worth trying! Thanks!

22. Jane Murray says

Mother always made pimento cheese. When someone died, off we went with a bowl of pimento cheese and a loaf of bread. It is different from local’s usual recipe. It’s just a pound loaf of Delux American Cheese, a 4 oz jar of pimentos and about 2/3 cup of dill relish or whole pickles ground up. We have the old fashion grinder you clamp on the table and grind cheese, then pickles or relish and then pimento. Drain the pimento and pickles good in a strainer. Stir it all up with a whole jar of Kraft mayonnaise. A little salt and a bunch of black pepper. Chill. It’s better the next day. I just brought some Dukes mayo home from the beach and yes, it is better with Dukes. Guess I’ll have to keep smuggling it home since it’s not available in KY!

23. Pam says

The only difference between this recipe and the one I grew up on is we used Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise. It gives it just a little bit of tang that you wouldn’t otherwise get. Also, my mama didn’t use a grater on the block of Velveeta, she just used the potato masher. This is something that I’ve loved ever since I was a little kid and I still get cravings for..in fact, there’s a bowl of pimento cheese in my fridge right now. I think I’ll go make a sammich.

24. Allen Armstrong says

Ahhhhhh………my mother and grandmother used to make this……….I tried to do like you said and push it through the grater…………..but it just didn’t look right…….so I did like they did and mushed it all up with my hands, added salt and pepper….sitting here eating a sandwich and a glass of sweet tea…..doesn’t get more Southern than that………in my head they are both sitting here with me having a sandwich too….

Food is all about appearance, taste, but most of all memories………

1. [...] Pimenta Cheese Grandma Lucy – It's A | South Thang Southern Plate My earliest memories of her, after I wanted to start "teas, baby and wedding showers, and they would serve little fancy sandwiches with ham salad, chicken salad, pimento cheese spread. …… Happened goal I just got a new series grabbed a few extra individual "Mayo packet of Chick-fil-A. I cam home, threw a handful of already shredded Velveeta smile (!) Place in a bowl, mix in the pimentos and mayo packets and slathered it is the bread and bakery products … southern sky! … [...]