I’d Love To Meet You On Novemember 17th!

Founders

Come meet me November 17th when I’ll be speaking as part of the Livingston Concert Lecture Series at historic Athens State University in Athens, Alabama. I will be speaking and then taking time afterward to meet all of the good folks who come to listen. I’d dearly love a chance to meet more members of my wonderful Southern Plate Family!

Tuesday November 17 at 7:00 PM

McCandless Hall

This event is free and open to the public.

Below is the original press release. Can y’all believe someone actually issued a press release about ME?

Come on now, laugh with me, this is fun!

For immediate release

November 2, 2009

www.athens.edu

Athens State to host lecture by Christy Jordan of Southerplate.com

Athens, ALA. – Southern cuisine afficienado and creator of Southernplate.com, Christy Jordan, will speak at Athens State on Tuesday, November 17 at 7:00 p.m. in McCandless Hall on the Athens State campus.   The event is offered free to the public and no reservations are required.

“We as Southerners relate our experiences to what was served, what was prepared,” says Jordan.  “Celebrations center around dishes steeped in tradition and memories of Great Granny preparing her special rolls or pie.”

Jordan spent her childhood hearing stories from her great grandmother about a lifetime of sharecropping and her childhood filled with memories of wonderful food.  These stories, born from the tradition of great Southern cooks, have been firmly embedded in the family root system generations earlier when they were among the first to settle the Tennessee Valley.

Now, the Home Economics degreed busy mom and wife works from home with a laptop on the kitchen counter and her iPhone to her ear as she tries to build a business which I had originally begun purely as a hobby.

“My days are spent responding to hundreds of emails,” explains Jordan.  “I take photographs of food, write columns for newspapers and magazines, manage a website, film cooking segments for television spots, and try to wrangle in time to talk on the phone to food industry execs.”

Jordan’s website, Southern Plate.com, is a rapidly growing site. During the first year alone SouthernPlate.com generated over 18 million page views.  The site now averages over 6 million page views per month and has just begun its second year.

For more information about the event, or about the Livingston Concert Lecture Series at Athens State University, please call 256-233-8126.

ASU LOGO for Guy

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Elaine Raye says

It is with extreme regret I must decline your gracious invitation due to the distance involved in travel. Not to mention money!!! LOL
    I would love to meet you someday and isn’t that hall impressive? I love gorgeous old buildings with character. You are just getting busier these days that a one armed paperhanger and I think it is great.

Its kinda..umm…weird, lol. While very very neat, at the same time I think “oh my goodness…folks are taking me seriously again…”
      @,@
      ~snickers~

Fortunately, I think everyone who comes will just be expecting plain old me – which is what they’ll get!

Wow, Christy Congratulations! That’s great news and I’m sure that you will be a big hit.

I may just have to try to escape the home front that evening…I’d love to hear what you have to say. It would definitely be my pleasure to meet you! :)

I love your site and all you offer to us. Keep up the good work.

Blessings,
    Christine

3. Jim H says

I’d love to be there in November! Living in the frozen North (Calgary), that would be appealing. We are currently at 32F, at noon MST. Unfortunately, business does not allow that luxury, but I’ll be there in spirit.

4. Bev says

Wow! What an amazing opportunity. Congratulations Christy. You will be wonderful and I wish I could see you in person. But alas, I have to remain here in the WET northeast state of Washington. Best wishes to you.

5. Saundra says

WOW!! Congrats!
    It is so cool thinking all of this has generated from this lil ol’ web site. =) I wish I lived there so I could go, but I live in WA state. Good luck! It would be so neat if each person that goes, that also reads this site, would cook their favorite recipe from here. Turn the whole thing into a southern hospitality potluck. Oh yum I’m drooling a little just thinking about it.
    Hugs~
    saundra

6. Tina says

How exciting! Congratulations Christy! Sure do wish I could be there, but please know that I (as well as all the other members of your SP family that can’t be there) will be cheering you on in spirit!!

Bountiful Blessings!

7. Misty says

How fun! Wish I could attend and meet you in person. I am new to your website and have already made your apple fritters and last night we had your crockpot coke chicken. Yummy! My husband thanks you are awesome!

By the way, we are practically neighbors. I live and work in Winchester, TN. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Huntsville!

8. Lisa says

Congratulations! Isn’t it exciting to see what you love to do turn into something so successful and respected? Not to mention fun?? You are doing a great thing with this website – the good food, of course, but more importantly, you are pointing people back to what matters: families, children, home, heritage. Good job, Christy! We are proud of you!

9. Terri go Dawgs says

Wow, what an honor to be asked to speak. That is so awesome Christy! I am ALWAYS happy for you in all that you do and I am certain that your grandparents, great grandparents, etc. have their heritage appreciated by so many now through you. Southern Plate has exploded onto the world wide web from just a lil ole ‘nanner pudding cookin’ how-to to a friend far away a little over a year ago. I am proud to call you my friend and want to be like you when I grow up ;} All the best to you and all the happiness your heart can hold. Love you.

10. Kristeen ( The Gough Inn ) says

Way — way …. Thrill for you! I’ve just been in your blogging life for 2 months and I am still coming back to your blog — I am not at all surprised that you have a LOTof fellow bloggers that are hooked on your site. I believe I told you that you’ve gotten me back to baking and everyday cooking is MORE fun now even though I am a empty nester — back making my home smell GOOD! May good thing enter your life always — your wonderful. Kristeen. kandgough@gmail.com

11. Shane C says

Big congrats Christy! I’m so happy and excited for ya!

If I only lived closer, I’d be there quicker then you could snap your fingers. Maybe one day In the near future I can meet the reigning Diet Dr. Pepper Queen. ;-)

Wishing you all the best with the lecture. I’m sure It will be a big hit!

12. MaryC says

Hey, Christy! This is really great~Congratulations! It is so awesome to see Home Ec. grads make good. My concentration was in clothing, textiles and historic costume, but the foods courses were so much fun; wish I had taken more of them. Still, my highest aspirations would have to be learning how to cook like my MAMA, don’t you know. Have a great day, Christy, and I pray that all your Southern Plate readers have a great day, as well!

13. Barbara says

HI Christy

Love,Love,Love your blog. I have tried many of the recipes, loved them all! Thanks,for all you do. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

How do I order yor cookbook? I would Like to add it to my collection.

Have a Blessed day,
    Barbara McBride

“A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel”

14. Su says

Is this the school with the beautiful buildings you had told me about?

You know I would love to come, there’s just the small issue of a 22 hour flight! But I’ll be back your way in about a year so I can see you again at that time. We can make a tentative date of it. Lol