10 of YOUR Favorite Southern Plate Posts!

Capture

I love hearing back from you better than just about anything (including my Grandmother’s fruit salad!) so today I’m going to bring you a list of some of posts y’all commented on the most from Southern Plate. For those of you who are new here (hope you’ve pulled up a chair and got comfy) this is a great way to meet some of your Southern plate family. Feel free to chat in the comments or say “Hey! We’re weird like that too!”

There are a lot of posts that have over five hundred comments but I just chose some of my favorites among the most commented list. We have a really unique thing going on here at Southern Plate, it seems like folks come and instantly feel a connection through memories of food and family and y’all scoot down and set another place at the table every time! I want to thank you for making SouthernPlate.com so special for everyone and for me especially. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to have all of you in my life.

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this important musical message...

(because life should be interrupted with song as often as possible)

We now return to resume our regular broadcast…

(there now, I feel better!)

I also want to thank everyone who takes the time to email me. I appreciate your emails so very much. The one thing that bothers me about Southern Plate is that I’m not able to personally respond to each email I receive. Please know that I do read them though, each and every one. You make me feel so good and keep me motivated and grateful for this website and all of my extended Southern Plate Family. I dearly hope I get to meet you all someday.

Folks often tell me that they feel as if they know me through my writings or like we’re related because we share so many common threads and I just want you to know that I feel the same way too. So if you see me out and about or if I head over to your neck of the woods come this fall for a book signing, I dearly hope you’ll give me a chance to meet you – and I sure wouldn’t mind a chance to give you a hug!

Back to work on my book now. My deadline is in nine days! I’ve had a lot of emails asking about the first book, which was a self published one. We sold out of it every time we got any in and it’s out of print now. However the new one will be published by Harper Collins and should be available in every major book store come fall!

Click below to see these ten posts!

bountiful

Come on in! ~A visit to Bountiful~

I gave readers a little tour of Bountiful shortly after we got settled in here. I’m gonna have to do a new one of these eventually

apples-073-400x300

Freezing Apples – And What The Old Folks Taught Me

This was such an enjoyable post for me thanks to all of you. I cannot tell you how much the pearls of wisdom you shared meant to me. I enjoyed writing the post very much, but I can assure you that your responses touched everyone who stopped by.

bologna-010-400x300

Fried Bologna and Other Southern Sandwiches

You know, some folks would be offended if you call them weird, but here in the south, we wear our oddities like a badge of honor. Strange sandwich combinations are a perfect example of this and the response to this post was amazing, entertaining, and mouth watering!

biscuits-400x300

How to make buttermilk biscuits

I imagine this one has been such a success because it’s pretty much a foolproof way to make light and fluffy biscuits every time. If anyone has had problems with producing hockey puck biscuits in the past, they’re in for a treat ! I posted this back when I first started Southern Plate.

fried corn

Fresh Fried Corn (Shucking, Silking, Cooking, and Freezing)

In my mind, there is absolutely nothing more wonderful than fresh fried corn. From looking at all of the comments and wonderful stories y’all shared on this post, I’m not alone!

CaptureClick on link below to go to post, video will only play on actual post.

First Anniversary Video, Lemon Bars, and Special Guests!

I had so much fun with this post. Terri (a Southern Plate reader who became family just like y’all) came to visit Bountiful and we made a video in honor of Southern Plate’s first anniversary! Bill Gent did a call in during the video and keep your eye out for our Hee Haw cameo ~winks~. Special thanks to Devin (another Southern Plate reader who became family) for her great filming and editing!

lettuce-0331-400x300Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Y’all!

This recipe went over very well with everyone who tried it but had a really surprising result on my end! After posting it, I got the following email:

Christy,
I showed my husband, Rick, your recipe and he loved it. He is the
chief operating officer for P.F. Changs ( and a Southerner from
Tennessee). He mailed you a gift certificate yesterday for Changs as a
thank you for mentioning the restaurant. Hope you and your husband
will enjoy a night out. ~Cathy

HELLO SMALL WORLD -and Awfully nice folks from P.F. Changs! We got a lovely card in the mail with P.F. Changs gift card which we used on New Years Eve, The first New Year’s Eve we’ve ever gone out! We had planned on going just the two of us but Katy was so excited about her babysitter and we decided that Bradybug needed a little one on one time so we took him at the last minute. It was his FIRST trip to P.F. Changs and we all had a really wonderful time!

Me and my Bradybug at P.F. Changs
Me and my Bradybug at P.F. Changs

cleanoff eggmuffin coconut pie 046

I ordered him a Roy Rogers. Any of y’all remember Roy Rogers and Shirley Temple drinks?

cleanoff eggmuffin coconut pie 041

Chicken Lettuce Wraps! We ordered them as our appetizer and split them. Yummy!

I also had egg drop soup (which I adore) and double pan fried noodles with chicken, which I split with Brady (you get a TON of food).

cleanoff eggmuffin coconut pie 044

As proof that you get a TON of food, this is the Great Wall Of Chocolate. I’ve never gotten dessert here before but we all three split this one and there was STILL some left!

I mostly ate the berries, Ricky mostly ate the cake, Brady mostly ate the icing ~grins~.

We make a good team

dscn4296-400x275

Let’s Talk Burgers

I’m a simple gal, I love hamburgers! On this post y’all shared all of your wonderful hamburger ideas! ~blushes as her stomach growls~ Green bean fries are pictured in that photo. I tried them out for the first time and was not a fan so pretend you see french fries instead :)

twicebaked-026-400x300

Loaded Potatoes, Make ‘Em and Freeze ‘Em

This is one of my favorite homemade convenience foods to have around the house (I think I’m gonna go dig some out of the freezer soon as I get this posted!) but this post was a lot of fun because I asked “If you could have dinner with any living person, who would it be and why?”.

The responses were fabulous, but it did get a little hairy for me there a bit. You see, I was raised that you don’t talk politics or religion at the dinner table (out of respect for your guests and their views) and I have a strict policy on Southern Plate that that I won’t discuss politics or religion here and it was inevitably brought up with some folks wanting to have dinner with political figures (including my dad when he weighed in! lol). It was all great though, as y’all showed respect for each other as families do and I gotta tell ya, I’d be tickled to have dinner with all the folks y’all mentioned! A neat little surprise for me was when one of the folks I said I’d like to have dinner with chimed in on the comments ~squeal~. Thanks, Andy!

eggs-204-400x300

Deviled Eggs, A Southern Staple

You simply cannot have any type of get together in the South without at LEAST one deviled egg tray! We enjoyed chatting about raising chickens and different egg variations and plates in these comments. Oh my, I really want deviled eggs now!

eggs-194-400x300

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,

“What! You too? I thought I was the only one”

~C.S. Lewis

Submit your quote here!

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Mary says

I’ll explore the whole post later, but I want to say here that you’ve captured the essence of your posts when you say this:

“y’all scoot down and set another place at the table every time!”

Indeed we do!

Hey! Those are some of my favorites too! It was a lot of fun calling in to sing that little ditty. It’s been great Christy, lets hope the book sales go through the roof! Looking forward to it and see you on the worldwide book tour!

3. Sue Horne says

Loved the song – LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this website. I put it on my FB page to my GF all the time – tell all my relatives “Ya’ll just gotta read it – she talks like we do!” Have sent it to my recipe club buddies in Canada and Scotland – with a note – this is how we really cook!

4. Debbie in Texas says

I love everything about Southern Plate. The the recipes are awesome and your stories touch my heart. I grew up in a family full of great southern cooks. Most of our meals consisted of lots of home grown vegetables, casseroles, etc., I never thought it was weird that we didn’t always some kind of meat. Other than the occasional fried fish, a tuna fish sandwich, fried salmon patties, we never had seafood and I still don’t like it. And we also never had alcohol so your recipes and website are just like the food I grew up eating. Thank you for sharing your life with us!!

5. Terri go Dawgs says

Hi my “Bama” sister.
    I love reading the 10 of our favorite SP posts! I looked through and read the ones I hadn’t seen yet (even though I always try to read every single one). Thank you for highlighting them. You always do sooo much for everyone to make our lives more enjoyable.
    Imagine how tickled I was to see SP First Anniv/Lemon Bar post with little ol’ me in your kitchen. My daughter, Amanda and I had THE most wonderful time visiting you and your family at Bountiful, and even more fun being silly and singing. It will probably be the ONLY time I ever sing publicly. Thankfully your website has not been shutdown (yet) because of my singing voice ha ha. Thank you for including me as part of SP’s anniversary celebration. I love ya! Terri

6. Elaine Raye says

A nice greeting and a nice review. I seldom, if ever , miss a posting but it is good to take a little step back and see if I missed anything. Chinese food is a favorite of mine when eating out just because it is something different. I also like chinese recipes because they are good for using little bits of this and that that were leftovers. It doesn’t take much leftover meat to come up with a stir fry. Love those budget stretchers.

7. Pattie says

These post bring back fond old memories. I love the pictures and especially the ones of family. Your site brings me to a warm happy place whenever I view Southern Plate the food, stories, family recipes thanks for all you do.

8. Sandy says

Thanks for all the recipes, still love using them and I have tried many, many of them and no complaints. Enjoy all the photo’s and comments from everyone. Thanks for all you do and your hard work.
    Just want to let you know I have the same tablecloth on my kitchen table that’s in your photo…love it!!!
    God Bless you and your family!

9. Michael says

WONDERFUL VOICE!!!!

And I LOVE the post as usual. We all understand that you’re super busy so new posts are difficult to do right now and what better way to handle that then by reminding us of some of your other recipes which may have gone by the wayside otherwise!!! Each of these really makes me want to cook them right now…especially the fried balogna (I say baloney…yeah I’m a Yankee) sandwich!!! mmmm…haven’t had one of those in a LONG time!

I look forward to revisiting all of these and enjoying a buffet fit for a king!!!

10. Janie says

LOVE LOVE LOVE the same top 10!! Your cookbook is my favorite one…will the new published one have some new recipes in it? You make me smile everyday. You have a great voice, but mmm mmmm mmmm can you ever cook!!! Even though I live in the North it surprises me how similar things are from Gramma to Grannies all over.

11. Sonya M. says

Potato chips on sandwiches are something that I have never tried. I was watching Season 2 of True Blood on Monday and one of the characters on there was making a cheese and potato chip sandwich. It looked so gross to me, but maybe I’ll try it some day and find out for sure!

12. Judy says

Christy,
    I love your website..so many delicious recipes and great tips for me…I love your “Good Morning” greeting…sweet voice..ever consider trying for American Idol…but then you are my idol right here on Southern Plate! Have a great day! (Now I am humming that song and it’s making me feel happy!)

13. Jenn from TX says

Christy,
    Love these older posts!! I’m new to SP and feel as though they catch me up to what the family’s been up to lately . . . . thanks for all the work you do for the enjoyment of others!!

I just ran across your site a few days back. I recently made your peanut butter balls. Wow! My whole family is now hooked. I would like to put my own twist on it, and post in on my next Family Fun Friday, if that is ok with you. I will, of course, give credit where it is due, and link to your blog. Keep it up! You’re AWESOME!

15. Paula says

I would just like to say that I LOVE SOUTHERN PLATE! As I always say….Christy @ Southern Plate ROCKS! I cook Southern Plate meals for my family weekly if not daily. I am from the Good Ole State of Alabama so I know I will have the opportunity to get my cookbook signed. By the way, I plan to buy several cookbooks for my family for Christmas SO get your sharpie ready!

Thanks for all that you do for you Southern Plate Fans.

16. keri says

We HAVE to get you up to upstate SC (hello…home of the Confederacy…REALLY SOUTHERN PLATES HERE) for a book signing. I can’t wait to meet someone who feels like family…since I have spent so much time reading SouthernPlate!!

I remember growing up Shirley Timples being my favorite drink and we got the kids started on them early and they order them every chance they get:) they even know which restaurants will give them extra cherries, some skimp and just put the juice in and IMO that is just WRONG!

I love your blog! OK now that that’s out of the way :) I love going out to eat and getting my little ones shirly temples. Its such a treat and it brings back such fond memories of my own childhood. Joy, I agree, it is just wrong to leave the cherry out!! That was always my favorite part.

I loved the good morning song. You have such a wonderful southern accent. I have family in Alabama but they aren’t natives so they don’t really sound southern :). I have learned so many great recipes here but I still have to say was the post on how to make tea. I haven’t made a single bitter batch since I learned the trick of putting the sugar in water first. Thanks so much.

20. Becky Sides says

Christy, so excited about the cookbook. I plan to buy a book and hope to meet you for your signature.. Thanks for all your hard work.
    It is so nice to see the Southern tradition stay alive. Keep up the good work,although I know it is tiring sometime,but just look how many people you make happy!!!!!!!

21. Lori B. says

I stumbled across Southern Plate a month or so ago while looking for a decorated cookie recipe. At the time I just snatched the recipe but saved the link to favorites. I am SO glad I did!!! I have spent most of the day on the computer browsing your site! It is awesome!! I have found so many recipes that I can’t wait to try and enjoy reading the conversations and suggestions from others!! I love it!! I will also be looking for your cookbook!! I know it will be wonderful. Your tutorials are great and I love all your stories.
    It was instantly obvious that you have a great personality that makes this site incredible!