Spicy Cheeseburger Dip – Football Food!

DSCN5489_2354x3695

Alright y’all, don’t let this get around but I don’t actually watch football. The reason I say don’t let that get around is that you know any Southerner who doesn’t consider themselves to be a fan of such a sacred sport stands a serious chance of losing their citizenship card and being deported.
Fortunately, I can redeem myself to all of the football fans with the following statement: “I LOVE MAKING FOOTBALL FOOD!”
That’s right, y’all come on over and watch whatever sport you want and I’ll be happy as a lark shuttling food back and forth from the kitchen.

AND everyone knows that no football spread is complete without an ooey gooey cheesy dip. So VELVEETA and I partnered up again to bring you the following video, which I hope you’ll enjoy. I’m excited to be serving as one of five VELVEETA IT!  Kitchenistas for all of 2010 where I’ll be coming to you every few months with another video post of me making something yummy with my favorite cheesy ingredient!
I hope you enjoy my video, filmed and produced by my expert cameraman – otherwise known as ye olde hubster, Ricky. Turns out, he has a few additional talents outside of building space stations!

Oh, and another great thing about this dip: It uses ground beef! Y’all know I love my ground beef. Nothing beats it for economy and versatility when it comes to feeding your family!

Click below to watch my video and get the recipe!

VELVEETA Spicy Cheeseburger Dip

• 1 lb. (16 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 can (10 oz.) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained (I used mild)
  • 1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef, cooked, drained
  • 4 green onions, sliced

MIX all ingredients except onions in microwaveable bowl.
MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 min. or until VELVEETA is melted, stirring after 3 min. Stir in onions.
SERVE with RITZ Crackers and assorted cut-up fresh vegetables.

For more great Velveeta recipes, visit the VELVEETA website by clicking here. Also, be sure to join us over at the VELVEETA Facebook page to see videos from all of the other fabulous Kitchenistas!

This original recipe may be found here.

Life may not always be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance .

Submitted by Karen. Submit your quote here.

I’m heading off for the weekend as soon as I post this to attend a blogging conference in Nashville. Last year, I met the VELVEETA PR Folks there as well as my AWESOME Literary Agent! I’m excited about getting to meet all of the other bloggers and representatives from some of the sponsoring companies but y’all aren’t going to believe who is singing at this thing: Harry Connick JR. ~blinks~

I’ll be tweeting and facebooking this weekend so be sure you hop on over to the Southern Plate Family Facebook page or follow me on Twitter! I’d love to hear what y’all are up to this weekend in the comments. I’m always looking out for new things to do with my kids! Love y’all!

Transparency Disclosure: I have partnered with VELVEETA to serve as one of five VELVEETA it! Kitchenistas. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program, which includes vlogging about my cooking experiences with VELVEETA and developing one original VELVEETA-based recipe. I have also been compensated for the food purchased for my VELVEETA vlogs. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments – because that wouldn’t be right anyway. :)

Comments

1. Melissa P says

Christy,

This can also be made in the Crockpot! I’ve made it for years and using the low setting (after the cheese is melted)keeps this warm and gooey for hours.

We also like to eat this with Frito Scoops (or any version of taco chip you prefer.

2. Michael says

One of the always great things about the recipes you bring us is that they are simple and quick to do. This is very similar to something my mother used to make back when i was a kid…which I then continued on into adulthood with my own little modifications. I won’t be having any this year but then again I won’t be watching the game either. lol But you’re right, even if you don’t watch football, the food is still oh so good!!

Thanks for the video! Look forward to seeing more Velveeta recipes from you!

Christy, our own little cheese queen. I love this dip. I sometimes substitute sausage for the hamburger meat.

Its always the standby for every Church gathering ever done. Good stuff Maynard!

Have a great time at the conference and charm their socks off. I’m waiting here at home for people who say they are coming by to buy my freezer and don’t show up lol Fun!

4. Terri go Dawgs says

As a football family, especially for Super Bowls, a spicy Velveeta dip is a must! We love love love Kraft products too! Thank you Ricky for a great job with your “mad skills” on the camera and Christy’s easy-to-follow instructions.
    I love to use kitchen shears too, and I do on everything I can to save time, space and cleanup using cutting boards. I like to say “Presentation is everything” when making a dish to share so the green onion pieces on top will be perfect to make it more appealing. Add the healthy carrots and celery pieces on the platter and this looks like a winner!
    I am sooo proud of you being chosen again as one of the Velveeta Kitchenista’s! Thanks again! Love ya!

Can I just say I think Velveeta is conspiring against me? I want to make every recipe that has been posted so far and I am going to gain so much weight.

Have fun and be careful and I’ll try not to be too jealous. :)

6. Jane says

Looks very tasty, Christy! I bet you could add in another half lb of hamburger, a little milk/water to thin it a bit, and cooked pasta (shells, macaroni or whatever you have on hand) and then you would have a delicious dinner. I know you will have a wonderful time in Nashville with your fellow bloggers. Enjoy! How could you not? Harry Connick, Jr. will be singing. :D

7. Barbara Pray says

Hey Christy! I had to stop your video for a phone call – at minute
    3:47 you don’t look happy(that is as nice as I can put it)…lol…bet you sometimes have that look for the kids tho…

Always loved this kind of stuff….YUM! Keep ‘em comming!

8. brandy says

I just love cheeses dips. This is also great using pepper jack in place of mozzarella and add a can of cream of mushroom in place of the rotel. Its a big hit for those that dont care for tomatoes.

I already have the fixin’s for this in my fridge–waiting for Sunday’s Super Bowl (Go Saints!)—my variation includes a brick of cream cheese, no green onions, the spicy Ro-Tel with chilies and HOT Jimmy Dean sausage instead of the hamburger. Served with Fritos Scoops it hits all the food groups…well, sorta, kinda…I think I will take your suggestion of serving with celery and carrots, too!
    did I say, “Go Saints!!”?

10. Laurie says

Hey Christy and fellow Southern Platers! Love this recipe, when I make it, I add crumbled bacon to it!! YUMMY!! Then sometimes I dice up an onion and cook it with the hamburger. So many ways to do this dip up. My family does not do football either and we live in the south and you should see the looks we get. Give us some mud and 4wheelers and big trucks and we are good to go!! Have a great day. Huggers~Laurie

11. Jimmy Gray says

I make this using 2lbs of Velvetta, 2 cans of Rotel, 1 lb of ground beef and 1lb of Hot suauage.. for individual servings for those who like it hotter, sprinkle with powder caynne pepper:)

Look at you, with that official Velvetta apron on….how neat!!! Love it! I make this type dip several times a year…it’s a must have for holidays and super bowl day!! I use Chorizo sausage in mine and a can of evaporated milk too. Have never thought to use some mozzarella…but I will now! Thanks!!

13. Becky says

Love the video and dip recipe!! I also love that Velveeta always has such great coupons. I stocked up this week at Publix with a buy one get one free sale plus Velveeta coupons. We’ll be having this dip Sunday!

14. Becky says

Oh, P.S. I have that same orange bowl set!! I inherited it when I married my husband 18 years ago. (He already had it when we got married- but doesn’t remember where he got it from!) It originally came with 3, small, medium and large, but I seem to have lost the small one. (pout) Where did you get yours??

Hello. Just posted on FB my Friday “Going to Blissdom Ya’ll” reference blog post that didn’t get’ auto placed on FB. (Got that?) Anyways, our mutual friend Claire Lane Santuae (we were best buds in college and shared an apt. a year in Atlanta)said you’d been at Blissdom. My reply was that you looked familiar but there were a lot of blondes there w/ hair about that length. Congrats on your forthcoming book. I just published my first this fall.

I am so hook on your blog and love seeing what’s up next and trying what ever you fix. I’ve sent a few of my friends and family to your blog—- I’ve told them to let you know who sent them over to you– can’t wait to buy your cook book. Be safe your friend Kristeen from The Gough Inn.

17. Kentucky Lady 717 says

Looks and sounds good…but I’m like a lot of your viewers….the white part of the onion is the best…..do you throw that away ?????
    You could make 2 bowls and cut up the white parts and put in the other bowl :) just sayin………………….