A Full Easter Menu (What We’ll Be Having)

Be sure to join the Southern Plate family on Facebook!

I have a few more posts to bring you this week that will center around Spring foods you might want to include in your Easter menu but I wanted to get you a post up to some of my favorite Southern Plate recipes that my family will be enjoying as we all get together this Sunday to celebrate Easter. This day is BIG DOINGS in the South and I can hardly wait to get into the kitchen and get to cooking!

Anytime I am cooking a big scale for a lot of people, I try to make as much as I can ahead of time so I have a clean kitchen and am free to enjoy my family and guests on the big day, so within this post I’ll let you know how far ahead I assemble these dishes in case you want to streamline your Easter as well!

I start with desserts, eventually get to salads, rolls, main courses, and beverages!

reunion-lemon-pie-mud-cake-083

Lemon Meringue Pie with Cookie Crumb Crust

This is the MUST HAVE pie each Easter. While store bought ones are all good and well, anyone can make this homemade version in about the same amount of time it would take you to go buy one at the grocery store and I can guarantee you the reviews will make your efforts more than worth it!

A lemon meringue pie unlike any other! (Click the name to view a full photographic tutorial and get the recipe!)

*Can make up to two days ahead of time.

dscn0021

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I love this pie so much, Mama always makes two so she can send one home with me! She told me this morning that she’s making them later this week for Sunday! WEEE!

*Can make up to two days ahead of time.

eggs-203

Deviled Eggs, a Southern Staple!

You gotta have at LEAST one tray of deviled eggs at Easter because they are so good …

eggs-194

..and also something you can have a bit of fun with!

*Can make two to three days ahead of time.

jordanrolls

Jordan Rolls

This is my personal roll recipe and I just love them. If you are serving ham, they make the best sandwiches with leftover pieces.

*Make these fresh the day of the meal

Daddy’s Coconut Cake

This is my Daddy’s favorite cake for Christmas and Easter. Some folks around here call it “Rotten cake” because it is sooooo good you want folks to think it’s rotten and keep it all to yourself!

*Can make three days ahead of time

“Well look at that, Christy just put a dessert right smack dab in the middle of the side dishes. Lawd help me, that girl ain’t got a plum lick of sense…”

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

My sister in law, Stacey, has specifically requested this dish this year!

*Assemble the day before and bake just before meal

dscn0863

Sweet And Sour Green Beans

This recipe uses frozen green beans but makes them taste garden fresh!

*Can make now and freeze, reheating day of the meal. Or, make two days ahead of time, store in fridge, and heat in microwave.

fried-pies-198

Macaroni Salad

Mama and Grandmama are ga-ga over this salad!

*Can make two days ahead of time.

Buttermilk Congealed Salad

This is just a classic congealed salad but it’s also fun because you can change the color and flavor just by using different flavors of gelatin.

*Can make three days ahead of time.

Rhyming Broccoli Salad

I love this stuff. My Daddy loves this stuff. My Mama loves this stuff. My Grandmama loves this stuff….

*Can make three days ahead of time.

dscn0449

Relish Tray Ideas For Kids!

If you’re feeding children who tend to be on the picky side, a relish tray on the table is the way to go! All of their favorites that they can put on their plate, but all healthy options, too! This is how I round out the meal for my pickiest eaters.

*Make day of meal.

How to Bake A Ham (and get at least four meals out of it!)

You got a ham, now what do you do with it? This post shows you how to easily bake a ham and then offers yummy (and easy ) ideas for the leftovers!

*Can bake day before and reheat.

dscn00031

Mama’s Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

We have to have this every year at Easter or the men and children will disown us.

*Make day of meal

poulet-023

Mama’s Chicken Poulet (or Chicken chicken!)

In case you’re not in the mood for ham, here is a chicken recipe that is assembled the night before and baked just before serving.

Wait a minute, why wouldn’t you be in the mood for ham? ~blinks~ Well on the off chance ya are, here ya go!

*This recipe must be assembled the night before and baked just before the meal.

Sweet Tea

Every meal, without question :)

I make mine with Splenda.

*We always make tea fresh every day.

strawberrylemonade-058

Fresh StrawberryAde

This is such a treat, especially for your guests who are watching their sugar! So easy to whip up and such a treat!

*Can make two days ahead of time

More Springtime recipes coming up this week so stay tuned!

Spring is nature’s way of saying,

“Let’s party!”

~Robin Williams

Comments

1. Mary Tullila says

Well bust my britches (and I do plan on unbuttoning so dont tell lol.. that BEE our lil secret) and count me honeybee Bzzzin over these sweet southern recipes! Thanks Christi and my hubster does too!! Wishing you & your family our lord’s blessings this Easter week!! Bzzzz’s out singing Sweet HOME Alabama >>>>> =)

2. roblovesleo says

oh it all looks so grand..set 6 more plates..we’ll be there- what time? haha…I will have to print out these recipes…hope they are in your new book…but I cant wait that long…thanks Christy! it all looks amazing…
    yum:-)
    robin

So what is your take on “country” ham (ie salt cured) and traditional ham (ie sugar cured or smoked)? Is country ham more southern? And which do you like better? We are country ham people but I do love that sugar cured taste. Noticed that you have more of a “traditional” ham pictured so I was curious….

4. Janet Kaltenbach says

Both my hubby and I are diabetic, and I really feel left out whenever there is a Holiday ’cause I can’t have a “pretty” drink like the rest of the folks! Then along comes Christy with her gorgeous, beautiful, luscious strawberry concoction!! WHOOOOEEEE! Guess who’s gonna stir up a pitcher of StrawberryAide????

Thanks so much for that recipe and all of the rest! I am so darned hungrey after looking at your feast. Have a wonderful Easter, and take some time out for yourself girl! You deserve it!

5. Cee says

Heck woman, now im gonna have to come back to Athens…. My mouth is watering as I type this and I just ate…lol.. Looks so yummy, gonna try the buttermilk congealed salad and the sweet and sour green beans along with your Jordan rolls…..

Ya know, I think I’m gonna be spontaneous this Easter and make a few of these gorgeous recipes for my family. The past few years we’ve not had ham because there are only three of us, but maybe I’ll make one this year. Your recipes are inspiring and always always ALWAYS reliably delicious, Christy. And you are one heck of a photographer. DROOL! I’m making my list and heading to Wally World right now. :)

Hey there Kristy! Happy easter to you! I hope some if not all of these receipies are in your cook book because as soon as i see the link i am buying it!

Be well my friend and I am sooo proud of you

Hugs,
    Dionne aka CoCoTreasure
    From Los Angeles!

Love this!! Thanks for the great blog. I just found it today and can’t wait to read it!! I was looking for a fruit cocktail cake recipe and it didn’t disappoint. Delicious! Hope you don’t mind I posted a link on my blog. Planning on making the StrawberryAde tomorrow!

9. Anna says

Christy, how did your Easter dinner turn out? Did you have a good day? I ended up making 3 of your recipes for Easter! The Congealed Salad, Meme’s Mashed Potatoes and Deviled Eggs. They were all delicious! I’d never had anything like the congealed salad before (I live in Alaska and had never even seen a Jello salad) but it was so good. The buttermilk gave it a great tart flavor. The mashed potatoes were wonderful, of course, and so were the deviled eggs (our recipes for the eggs are actually the same- simple is good!). I also made dinner rolls that are very similar to yours, pea salad and ham. It’s just my fiance and I though so I bought a small, fully cooked ham and fried slices of it. For dessert I made a Pavlova, which is an Australian dessert- a big meringue base with whipped cream and fresh fruit on top.

Needless to say, we have a lot of leftovers :oD

I can’t wait to make the Strawberry Ade, Lemon Meringue Pie, Strawberry Pie, Sweet & Sour Green Beans, and Daddy’s Coconut Cake. Your blog is just full of delicious looking recipes and I love reading all your stories. I think we have a similar outlook on life.

10. Megan says

Hi! Thanks for teaching me to cook! Made a successful Easter dinner thanks to you. I am so mad at myself for not learning to cook from my grandmothers before they passed away, but now I have you! You are the best!

11. Pam says

Christy,
    Thanks so much for this wonderful website. I live in Murfreesboro, TN. I was so inspired that I made the lemon meringue icebox pie, the broccoli salad (An old favorite), deviled eggs, macaroni salad, hashbrown casserole, and pineapple salad. My mom made the ham, and we ate dinner at her house. Everybody raved about your recipes! Thanks so much for the inspiration to eat a traditional meal and for you encouragement to me. You made me feel like I could do it. It was wonderful to feed my loved ones your special food! I’ll send you the pineapple casserole recipe if you would like!
    Happy Easter,
    Pam
    ps. I did serve store bought rolls, but can’t wait to try yours!

12. Charlene says

Christy, I love your menu! Those cute egg chicks are precious and I definitely have to give that a try. I haven’t decided on a menu yet but have a turkey in the freezer that I was thinking about cooking. Your slow cooker dressing would be a must with a turkey, green bean casserole, and don’t know what else. I love the look of that pie and just wonder how I can adjust to accomodate my diabetes. I love your web site, the cookbook, the forum and ….well, anything you do Christy:) Thanks!

13. Danielle D. says

Oh my! I am starving now! I won’t be going home for Easter this year so I may have to brave it out and get to cooking all this yummy stuff myself! Hope I can round up a couple of folks to share with!

yum yum yummmmm!

oh, and those eggs are the cutest!