Meet The Photographer Behind My Book & More!

“I’ve been testing these recipes in my own kitchen and every single one turns out to be better than anything my Grandmother ever made.  Don’t just buy this terrific book, use it!”

~New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank

To pre order your copy of the cookbook that YOU helped happen, click on the cover below!

GUESS WHAT? Miss Frank was talking about OUR SOUTHERN PLATE BOOK!!! I got goose bumps when I read that and had to read it three more times, then call Mama and read it to her a few times before I was able to breathe normally again. That is one of the blurbs that will be going on the book and I knew y’all would be as excited as I was about it!

I really got to work with some amazing people on this book, folks I never even thought I’d get to meet much less have them contribute to Southern Plate! Today I’d like to bring you a post by my photographer, Jennifer Davick. She did a blog post on Southern Plate that you might enjoy with a little background about how we came into contact with each other.

Things are chugging right along behind the scenes on the book. Working with the folks at Harper Collins has just been an amazing experience and would you believe that the VP of marketing is from Alabama? Seriously! I mailed him a big old box of Moon Pies and Goo Goo Clusters last week as my “official” introduction (Alabamians know how to say it with junk food!). We’re nailing down tour dates and locations and as soon as we get them set up I’ll post them here in hopes of getting to finally meet as many of you as possible!

I can’t wait for you to see the rest of the photos. The book is just gorgeous thanks to Jennifer and the stylist team (Marian Cooper Cairns and Jan Gautro). In addition to lots of photos of food, there are also photos of just about my whole family including nephews, grandparents, parents, brother, sister, and some extended family as well. The food turned out so beautiful and Jen really stayed true to Southern Plate. You’ll recognize most of the dishes from my very own kitchen, including my vintage Corelle plates and Pyrex bowls and casseroles.

You can visit Jen’s blog post about the Southern Plate Cookbook here.

Looking for some quick and easy supper ideas for a laid back weekend?

Click here for my personal favorite top ten!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Special Wishes For A Special Person

My Grandaddy, J Pockrus, and Me

I’d like to say Happy Birthday to my Grandaddy. He’s been gone for thirteen years now and not a day goes by that my heart doesn’t ache for him. I sure do wish he was here to read the story I wrote about him in the book. When you read the last chapter and the closing sentence of  the book you will know just how much he means to me.

I love you Grandaddy and every time I think about you I can still hear the last thing you ever said to me “I love you too, Babe”.

I will always miss him.

Happy Birthday Grandaddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later today I’ll be mailing out some printer friendly recipes to my email subscribers so be sure and sign up if you’d like them. Every now and then an email server kicks back an email sent by me and it causes the computer on my end to think the address is no longer valid. If you’ve stopped getting my emails, please try subscribing again. Have a great weekend!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to be kind to others.

Submitted by Ruth Lail. Submit your quote here or just find more for a little inspiration when you need it.

Comments

How nice! I’m loving it more everyday Christy. Can’t wait till we meet and I can harass you in person. (You know I’d never do that of course!) I’m gonna hug yer neck just enough as to not cause any permanent damage.

2. Tina says

~tears running down my face~…I can already see how much your Grandaddy means to you! Precious, just precious!

Bursting with excitement as the book release date gets closer!!

Bountiful Blessings…~extra tight hug today~

3. Michelle says

Oh Christy, you brought tears to my eyes! I lost my “pawpaw” last August and it still feels like it happened yesterday. I miss him all the time. But now I have a special angel in heaven looking out for me and my kiddies-I’m sure your granddaddy is up there, smiling down on you and yours with all kinds of love.Happy birthday to him!
    CAN NOT WAIT to get my hands on this cookbook!! So exciting!

4. Julia Greenway says

I am so glad I found you and your site. You have such a way of telling stories about your family that people can really connect with.
    I am totally a Southern girl, born and raised in northwest Georgia. We have a little place on Lake Weiss, so I also claim Alabama as partly home.
    I so relate to your humor! My daughter has that same sense of humor as you. You two would just be a “hoot” together.
    So proud of your accomplishments and your cookbook. Can’t wait to get a copy. Seems like it will wind up being my “go-to” cookbook for everything.
    By the way, I’m curious as to how you were “discovered” and approached about doing a cookbook.
    I have only recently become a follower of yours and don’t know the stories of how you got started.
    Congratulations and may God continue to bless you and your family.
    Hope to meet you in person someday.

5. Vickie says

Well I just read what Miss Frank wrote! I can NOT wait to order ur book! I don’t know if I can’t wait till October tho! I am just tickled pink for you, Christy! The Lord has just blessed you abundantly! Even tho you and I have never really met I feel like we are family and have known each other for years! Thanks for being a blessing to me through ur food and encouragement on Facebook through ur statuses! Love ya girl, hope you have a blessed day!
    Vickie

6. Terri go Dawgs says

Hi C.
    Today is such an exciting day for your book with a wonderful review and so much buzz about it going on. The review of Ms. Frank’s is awesome!! Congratulations again! Jennifer D. is an amazing photographer too.

I know your heart is aching so much today for your beloved Grandaddy too. Just remember, we will all be together again, one day. Smile through your tears…he must be sooo proud of you right now and pleased that he was recognized in the writings of your book. Love you Sista C.

7. Pam says

Christy, sometimes you bring back memories within me that make me cry.
    Sometimes you make me laugh at the things you do or say.
    Sometimes you cook things that I can almost taste because my
    Mother cooked them just the same way.
    Keep reminding us of the good things and bring back memories
    that we all share. Happy Birthday Grandaddy Pockrus!!

8. dragongirl66 says

Oh my goodness! Reading todays’ post not only brought tears of happiness, but also goose-bumps!! Y’all do get goose-bumps…right? I’m a northerner girl, who had a daddy that loved southern cooking. His birthday was Feb.18th and I lost his physical prescence 13 yrs ago…boohoo. I can’t tell you how many times I felt his smile or comments to me when I’m reading your stories. Sure keeps me coming back every day! Thank you so much, Christy for sharing this experience with us, and of course for passing down your great recipes and stories. Love ya!
    ~Sandy from Seattle~

Oh, how I wish you would come to the Joseph-Beth Booksellers at South Park mall in Charlotte, NC. My daughter-in-laws step Mother has been the manager for many years, and the shoppe is in an awesome mall. You would get a gob of people that would turn out and buy your book!!! Well…I can always hope! Ü

I’m still waiting to see what cities you’ll visit before I buy…just in case you do make it to Charlotte!

• Michelle says

I can second that, Christy – the mall is AWESOME! Godiva chocolate, an actual Tiffany’s store (I’ve always been too scared to even step foot in the place ), and a Cheesecake Factory resteraunt all in one place – can you imagine?? Please please please come to Charlotte !

10. Su says

Obviously I am out of the loop because I do not know
    who DB Frank is. Someone important because she got to read your book early!

Happy birthday to your grandpa. I’m sure they throw some good parties up there. :)

• Judy T says

You must not be a southern girl! lol. I am a yankee but love anything by Dorothea Frank – start with “Plantation” and move on to “Sullivan’s Island”. You will be hooked – she is a wonderful writer and portrays the south with emotion, style, graciousnes….her books are in paperback, or you can get cheap used copies on amazon or ebay. Enjoy

• Terri go Dawgs says

Hi Judy,
        Su is one of the Southern Plate readers with an Australian accent. ~waves to my friend Su so far away~ Christy met up Su while she was visiting in Atlanta last summer and took her to a Cracker Barrel and Stone Mtn. in Atlanta Ga.

11. Melissa says

Oh what you wrote about your grand daddy. Just brought back memories of my Papaw and my Daddy. You know when you are close to those two men there is no way to not miss them daily. However, I keep in my heart the knowledge that I will see them again one day. What a joy that will be. Christy thank you for bringing back so many memories. You allow us to continue hanging onto our heritage and pass it on to our children.

Melissa

Hi Christy, I enjoy your emails and recipes very mucy. I was born in Alabama near Tallassee. I grew up in Auburn out in the country.I now live in Smyrna with my husband. He went to college in Aubur, the to Uni. Ala. and finally finished at Ga. State. We have two sons and one daughter.We have six grandchildren. We are so blessed.

Christy your recipes are great. The ole fashion butter roll, I remember my mother making those years age. They are delicious. I look forward to all your email recipes. Keep em coming.

Joyce Wilson
    ajoycewilson@bellsouth.net

Face book, Joyce wilson

13. Michele says

I had a special granddad too… He died in my early 20s but even to this day I KNOW he is my gaurdian angel. We had a unique bond and I learned a lot from him… especially about loving others and giving of yourself. He was a wonderful person and reading your blog today made me cry because I so understand what you are feeling.

Happy Birthday to your Grandaddy. :)

14. Sue Walker says

Happy Birthday to your Grandad Pockrus.
    To be remembered as fondly as you do him after all these years he must have been very special.
    As to your quote – well – this ideal I can try to live up to.
    Bye-the -way, If I pre-order your book on Amazon.com, will they send it to me over here? Just asking?

15. lindsay mizer says

I can totally relate to the love you have for your grandfather. Mine is in the final stages of Alzheimers, and it breaks my heart thinking of a world without him.

And he calls me babe too.

Can’t wait for the book.

16. Kim Lloyd says

Happy Birthday Grandaddy! My Papaw too would be celebrating a birthday in May also, I sure do miss him!
    Christy, so excited about the book! Can’t wait and hope you are somewhere around Birmingham so I can meet you in person.