Mexican S’Mores with Katy

s'mores, smores, mexican, tortilla, camping, camp, out, boy, scouts, grill, out, doors, recipes, recipeSomewhere about the time that the Rambo movies were in full swing, my dad and a few of his friends from the Huntsville Police Department decided that they needed to spend a weekend getting back to nature and “roughing it”. Soon as that talk began canoes started showing up at our house. One by one, Daddy stored them in the back yard where a fancy schmancy canoe trailer eventually joined them.  Some weeks after the last canoe made it’s debut, Daddy hitched his fancy canoe trailer to the back of his big old Chevy Silverado and we all piled in to go drop a group of men off at the Elk River for an extended weekend canoe trip. It was mostly police officers and their sons, with my dad and brother leading the charge. Their weekend of roughing it consisted of an entire canoe filled to the brim with coolers of steaks and large oblong watermelons. They canoed by day and camped by night.

Mexican S'mores, southern, mexican, boy, scouts, food, camping, camp, fire, out, doors, s'mores, smores

Today’s Kitchen Helper, Katy

Four days later, Mama, my sister, and I piled in the Chevy truck and returned to pick them up. Lawd have mercy, we could smell ‘em a mile away. Daddy had planned on driving but Mama quickly put him in the back of the truck as well, much to the relief of my sister and myself. Apparently they had a good time because for several summers after that they repeated the pilgrimage and we still hear stories of cotton mouths and wild critters from Daddy’s Rambo days.

I really enjoy camping – but only in the fall. I like to camp when the air is cool and crisp and huddling around a campfire at night with a blanket wrapped around your shoulders feels just right. However, most of y’all are made of better stuff than I am because you enjoy camping in the summer – go figure. Since I fully realize you ARE made of better stuff than me, I wanted to bring you a recipe or two to support your efforts while I sit here in my air conditioned home with my nice cool sheets and a fraction of the mosquito bites I really hope you don’t get this weekend.

The recipes I’m bringing today and with my next post are quick and easy and can be made ahead of time at home and heated up around the campfire. They’re also great to enjoyed at home, too! Today I’m bringing you a dessert treat that is a little spin on an old classic and makes a lot less mess. In my next post I’ll show you a throw together meal that can be enjoyed at home or toted along to camping trips. Both are recipes I often send with Ricky and Brady when they have scouting or father and son camp outs – again, because they are made of better stuff than me.

You’ll need: Flour tortillas, mini marshmallows, peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, and a cute little girl who really wants to be Taylor Swift when she grows up.

Note to Taylor Swift : Thank you for watching your language and avoiding any other behavior which would cause me to have to flip channels whenever you come on because Katy is completely enraptured by you. Folks like you are few and far between and this mom wishes you the absolute best in all that you do!

Spread the peanut butter over one of the tortillas

Have you ever had peanut butter once it gets hot? Oh my, it is such a treat! I like to make toast and spread it with peanut butter while its still warm. It melts and makes the most delicious breakfast.

Have cute little pixie place a line of mini marshmallows down one side of the tortilla

and then put a line of mini chocolate chips as well

(you can use regular chocolate chips if you want)

It’s gonna look like this.

Now fold one side over and crimp it a bit at the fold so it stays…

Repeat with the other side.

And roll it up tightly.

Now wrap that little fella in foil.

She looks all smug and proud of herself, doesn’t she?

Well, she did these all by herself so she should be!

It is truly amazing how much cooking with your children means to them and builds their confidence and self esteem.

To heat at home, bake at 350 for about ten minutes.

or

Place at the edge of the campfire or on hot coals and let sit until thoroughly heated.

Let sit for a few minutes after you remove it from heat (oven or fire) and then serve.

YUMEEEEEEEEEE

Mexican S’Mores with Katy

• 10 inch flour tortilas
  • mini marshmallows (about 2 Tablespoons for each one)
  • Mini Chocolate Chips (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons for each one)
  • Peanut Butter
  • Aluminum foil

1. Spread each tortilla with peanut butter. Sprinkle a line of marshmallows follows by a line of chocolate chips. Fold over sides and crimp to seal.
  2. Roll up tightly and wrap in aluminum foil.
  3. To heat, bake in a 350 oven for about ten minutes or place over hot coals or at edge of fire until heated through and marshmallows are melted.
  4. Allow to sit for a few minutes to cool before eating.

“Remember the days are long now, but the years are short.”

Submitted by Glenna. Got a positive, uplifting, or funny quote to share? Submit your quote by clicking here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joy, Gratitude, Oh My Goodness!

Yesterday, when life slowed down to a dull roar, I went over to check out my facebook page and had one of those moments where your heart unexpectedly fills with so much joy you think it might burst. Your comments over there and here mean so much to me and my family and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking time out of your day to chat with me.

When I post here it is kind of a one sided conversation and so your input changes all of that and turns it into a real life conversation between friends - which is just how I like it.

Please feel free to chat with others in the comments section both here and on Facebook. I can’t tell you how many times I read a comment and just about trip over myself to chime in and say “ME TOO!!” or “Wow, that sounds so good!”. Sometimes we feel the need to hug one another or to let the other know that our heart is aching for them and I just wanted you to know that you are always welcome to do that. Southern Plate has grown into a community much more than a website and you are the most valuable part of that community so make yourself at home!

Thank you again for all that you give me and my family each and every day. If you’re reading this, I owe you a hug – and I hope I get to pay that debt one of these days!

And last but not least, I’d like to ask a favor of you. If you enjoy Southern Plate, please tell a friend. There is always room at our dinner table and when it comes to family gatherings, the bigger the better!

Comments

1. Patti Moss says

I’d have S’Mores with Katy any day, especially if she agrees with your ideas on camping! Those look delicious enough for any occasion. My daddy always said that time speeds up as you age. At the time I thought that was he was just being funny; but as today’s quote confirms – it’s a fact!

2. Mrs. Welch says

Just an aside from mom to mom: My nephew’s girlfriend is Taylor Swift’s tour chef, and she says Taylor is twice as nice in person and in private as she is on stage and in public – so Katy chose her role model well. Carry on, Katy!

Thank you, Christy! I agree with you 100% about summer camping – why suffer needlessly? I’ll take my family and my Scouts out fall, winter, and spring, but summer camping is for folks who LOVE the heat (of which I am not one).

That said, I’ll do my best to remember these s’mores variants next fall. Thanks again!

OH how wonderful to hear this! I just love more than anything hearing that the people I think are nice from afar are every bit as nice close up, don’t you? I’m gonna have to call Mama and read your comment to her, she’ll be thrilled, too!!!

Hope you have a great week, thank you Mrs. Welch!

• Gabriel says

I’m glad to hear this, too. My 4 year old and 7 year old love Taylor Swift. And, I must confess, I’d like to be her when I “grow up” too! We saw her in concert last year and she was AWESOME! It’s so nice to have music that my girls and I both enjoy listening to. I love Vegitales, but when those songs get stuck in my head I get a little worried!

You know, Katy was the one who got me into Taylor Swift. I bought a few of her songs for Katy to listen to in the car and started out only playing them for Katy. Next thing I know I’m buying her songs for ME and saying “Hey Katy, guess what I got!!! Wanna listen?”

3. Denise in Dallas says

These look delicious! My husband just called me from work to see if I had seen this email yet. We’re planning to have these the next time we have a mexican-themed family get-together. Of course we will have to “test” them first…probably more than once.

Denise in Dallas :-D

4. Mary Alice says

These look wonderful! My granddaughter is coming to visit a few days this week and this is definitely on the agenda! Thanks for all you do to make our lives easier and for preserving the good ole Southern recipes! I’ve found so many I had forgotten about!

5. Rashaundra says

Will be using this for our next campout! Nothing like camping with friends, horseback riding, and Mexican S’mores….sounds like a good combination to me! Can’t wait!

6. Karen says

I make something similar to these with Nutella, marshmallows and a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon. I’ve never thought of using peanut butter…. sounds yummy!

Oh… it just occured to me that you could probably stick a few banana slices in there, too!

Hmmm…. gonna have to experiment tonight. LOL

• Ann L says

man – nutella, bananas together – sounds scrumptious.

We’ve done desert pizzas on teh grill – letting the kids put their own toppings on (choc, PB, jelly, brown sugar, marshmallows, fruit,even choc chip cookies). These sound like a really nice fun alternative

7. Jean says

Husband Johnny loves the traditional s’mores, but they’re so messy! Need a shower when one gets that down! Love this variation and I’ll bet he will too. Thanks, Christy.

8. Raquel says

I’m with you, give me air conditioning and a nice comfty bed over a sleeping bag and the hard ground anyday.

I will definately forward your post to my daughter’s girls scout leaders, they are going on a three day camping trip to Barren River and Mammouth Cave on June 22nd. These will be great for the girls to make and might help in earning a badge.

Thanks

9. suzi vollrath says

this sounds so yummy! i have another easy camping s’mores recipe too – with a banana! Slice a little slit in a banana, top to bottom skin and all (but don’t it it all the way through) – sort of like making a canoe out of a banana. Then stuff the banana with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows (why not sprinkle in a little coconut for a tropical s’mores!) Wrap the bananas up in foil and grill for 5 minutes or so…..enjoy this with a spoon right out of the banana boat shell!

• Sharon T. Farrell says

we used to make those when I was the leader of my daughter’s Girl Scout troop. We called them “Banana Boats”. The girls Loved them! Also we used to make s’mores using apple slices spread with peanut butter instead of graham crackers… they were really yummy too!

10. Rita says

Oh how delightful. I work at the local children’s library and I just might have to try this with them as an edible craft one day. I could use the MW and skip the foil OR I might use foil and skip the Microwave and just leave them in the hot Mississippi Gulf Coast Sun for a few minutes! Thanks for all the recipes! I like to cook them in my head even if they don’t all make it to the kitchen ha.

11. Brittainy says

Hey Christy! Great Recipe. My son will love these if I can get him past his taco shell aversion… It has many of his favorite ingredients. Oh soo yummy… I too am a spring and fall camping kinda gal. Thankfully I think DH is the same way, because he can’t stand being hot more so than I.

12. judy says

christie just reminded me of something my grandma made us. she bought homemade tortilas from a lady down the road and mixed dark karo syrup and butter and spread on the tortilas, so sweet and so good when you are a kid, thanks for the memories. I will try this with my grandkids. sounds a little more healthier.

13. Kim Reynolds says

I LOVE THIS. After burritos and tacos we always have a few shells left over. Many times I cut and season and fry and we dip and eat but here is yet another recipe to hang on to. I can hear the flour tortilla’s at home calling my name right now. Can’t wait to get home and have the 5 year old make us some Smore’s Taco’s!!!! i guess this will be one night I will just have to let her have dessert before supper.

14. Betty Lou says

Ooh, these look scrumptious! I think I’ll add a sprinkle of cinnamon to each. Every time I make a chocolate cake , brownies, or chocolate frosting, I add some cinnamon–love it.

Katy’s a honey-pie helper. I agree with your comments about Taylor Swift. Hope she stays grounded and well-behaved. She recently gave $250,000 to the elementary, middle, and high schools she attended. That meant a lot to the folks in Hendersonville, TN.

15. Kolene says

Katy is so adorable!! You can tell she loves to cook with her Mama.
    I’ll be making these as the real ones are so messy to eat! I have made so many of your recipes…just made some more donuts this AM and my hubby has eaten most all of them…I had one!!!
    I taught my children to cook when they were little too! Two boys & one girl and they are good cooks except my middle boy. He could cook up a big breakfast for himself when little but didn’t think he was special as he thought all kids his age could cook!!! I remember a very messy kitchen but closed my eyes to let them learn.
    Gosh, it must be a remembering day today!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, pictures and recipes with us all!!!!

16. Nat Alea from OK says

Christi,

I can’t wait to try this and I’m an adult!!!!! I’ll have to go out and get some marshmallows now. What an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing this with us. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I truely love coming to your “home” and getting to know you and your family. Thanks again.

Oh Christy,
    My boys are gonna have a fit when they see these (that includes the daddy!). I’m gonna fix enchiladas tonight for supper…guess what’s for dessert?

I’m with you on the camping thing. Know why I’d rather go in the fall? The cottonmouths and copperheads aren’t as frisky! (Of course, the lack of heat and bugs are a bonus, too.)

18. Elizabeth says

Christy,
    The smores sound great! I think they would be great served to company with a scoop of Ice cream on the side and chocolate syrup drizzled over all of it. Yum!!!!!!

19. Michelle says

So sad my grandson is allergic to PB and misses out but I think spreading with marshmallow fluff and adding his favorite flavor of chips would work. He loves white chocolate with raisins.
    And thanks to Suzi for reminding me of Banana Boats haven’t thought of them in years

• Heather B in NC says

We tried these with Sunflower butter due to a nut allergy in one of my son’s friends and they were delicious. We packed left overs in lunch boxes cuz they are yummy cold too!

20. Kim says

Hey! Just thought I would let you know that at Brookhill on Friday – our 4th graders GRADUATED! They had a wonderful slide-show during graduation – and guess who I saw in a picture? Why…it was your little Brady! He might have been in more – but I was trying to videotape the screen (hint hint…to keep me focused on that instead of crying!) ha. ha. See ya! Hope ya’ll have had a good year in your new school. These smores sound soooo good. Will have to try them. Keep up the good work.
    Kim

My daughter inlaw and my son are heading off to go camping with the daughter inlaws family and what great timing to have this idea posted — I am sharing this post with her and by the way — you are posted on my blog like one of my blogger friends — which my family knows all about you — cause you guessed it — I talk about you often as if you have been my forever friend–wink!

I get the biggest JOY coming over to your site — you have the sweetest spirit and I can feel it honestly I can — I am grateful for all your hard work because it makes mine more simple! Hugs…

OH my those look good, I may just have to make them right away! ok os not tonight it is 9pm afterall but tomorrow. we love smores and this sounds like so much fun. we have a fire pit in our back yard and we always make smores.

23. April says

Oh yummy yummy those look so good I can’t wait to have the kids make up some. Guess I can just throw them on the grill until warmed through? Yep that is how our weekend will be, spending it in the AC and cooking on the grill lol.

Christy,
    This is my first visit to your site and it won’t be my last! I love all the videos and recipes. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I’m a guest at your kitchen table already! Heaven’s sakes! Keep up the good work.

25. Dianna says

Sounds Yummy! Thank you for sharing.

Wondering how a sprinkle of cinnamon will taste in these. When I read the title I thought you were making regular s’mores with cinnamon since that’s how you make Mexican hot cocoa.

Gonna have to try them both ways. :)

26. Veronica says

We’re going camping this weekend, and I’m heading out in a bit to go get groceries for the weekend. This is on the list! Thanks Christy! (We’re taking our three granddaughters and our daughter to the Amish Country here in Ohio, hubby wants to eat at Der Dutchman Saturday night!! Can’t wait!)

27. Veronica says

I’ve found another recipe that has Chocolate, peanut butter and mini marshmallows in it. It calls for 8 Chocolate Graham crackers,1/2 granola cereal, 2 tbs peanut butter, 1 tbs grape jelly 1/4 c mini marshmallows. Mix all ingredients except the graham crackers and then spread on the crackers. DELICIOUS!!

28. Mary Ann Parker says

I just made myself one of these for an afternoon snack! =) Soooo good! I used CRUNCHY peanut butter and it was so very tasty! I’ve been wanting one since I first saw the post. I subscribe here so I get the emails and on FB.
    I first found Southern Plate right before Christmas, and I can’t wait for my daily dose. I felt close to you immediately, as at that time, your profile pic was one of you drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper. I loved you right then. =)
    Thanks for all you do!

29. Carol from Indian Springs says

Girl, these look WONDERFUL! Of course, anything with chocolate and peanut butter is AOK with me.
    My idea of ‘camping’ is a condo at the beach where you have to share a bathroom with one other person. I’m not a camper and prefer my air conditioned home to something hot and sticky outside.

And congratulations on your new cookbook which I have pre-ordered from Amazon. I noticed today that it is the second most popular pre-order for cookbooks! So way to go, Christy!

30. Vikki says

My mama had diabetes and I would fix her a lc tortilla spread with peanut butter, a bit of no sugar jelly or imatation honey, then sprinkle with homemade granola ( my lc version was mostly nuts and seed with small amount of oatmeal ). I’d pack them up for her to carry with a bottle of water whenever she had a dr. appointment or anything that might keep her from eating or letting her blood sugar drop to low. Heck I’ve had them for lunch myself…giggle

Your mexican s’more reminded me of them.

Just love your blog, it’s so nice to read someone that talks like I do. Have a wonderful weekend.

31. Jen says

Sister Christy,

I just made these for my 2 girls and their friend. And, yes, I had one too….guilty as charged. Oh Lawdy! I think my rear just spread about a foot wider than it is already! Oh, so good!

Christy,

I just found your blog. Made these tonight for me and my husband. After I rolled up each one I then rolled it in a dampened paper towel and heated in the microwave. I love that I can make just two for us or a bunch if the kids and grandkids are here. Will make them and wrap in foil to put on the grill after the burgers are done Memorial Day. We’ll have them with homemade ice cream!

Jodi

33. Sarina Rene says

Oh my goodness, these are amazing, sprinkled with just a tiiiny bit of cinnamon.
    They’re also a great recipe substituting hazelnut spread for the chocolate chips.

34. Danielle says

My three year old daughter just made this with me. It was so easy and she had a blast! It was so good she called her dad to let him know she made “delicious candy” all by herself… With Mama’s help! Thanks for the great and easy recipe!

35. Cookie says

I don’t have a cute little girl who wants to be like Taylor Swift; I only have a cute little boy who wants to be like his daddy. Fortunately, he loves to eat (like his daddy) and will taste the mini marshmallows and Mini Chocolate Chips several times before the Mexican S ’Mores even come out of the oven!
    Awesome Recipe! Thank you!

Oh these sound lovely and just perfect for snow camping – need a bit more than a quilt wrapped around you at the campfire and these would warm you inside out!!! Come on out in the winter and we’ll head to the mountains for a few days in the snow – we’ll even use a tent, but no electricity but we’ll keep the fire burning and I promise no mosquito bites!!! If we go to the right campground outside of Markleeville, California, you’ll need to bring your swim suit and we’ll go to Grover’s Hot Springs (102-105) and stay really toasty!

37. Rhonda says

Christy: I’ve been making these for a long time, and they are awesome! Because my son never wants to wait for the oven to heat up, I learned that you can microwave for 20 seconds and it will be perfect. (Don’t wrap in foil, of course!)