Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice – and YOUR Cheering Section!

Yum

“Mama, can I go sing in the sun room?”

“Of course you can, Katy Rose” I answered her from where I was standing at the sink, not taking the time to glance over.

“Well, can you open the door for me?”

“Can’t you open the sun room door by yourself?”

“Mama, I’m trying to carry my audience!”

I looked over to find her sporting a very serious face while struggling to hold a baby doll, Mickey Mouse, and  plush Tigger half her size. I melted.

What a wise girl. She gets ready to entertain and handpicks her audience to boot! As I finished working in the kitchen to the sound of her singing I couldn’t help but think there was a life lesson to be learned from my youngest.

~Pulls out her well worn soapbox and steps up as she clears her throat~

Katy's Cheering Section

We all need our own cheering section from time to time, to offer a little encouragement at the start of a new day or give us a consoling hug at the end of a particularly hectic one.

You know, its okay to want someone to cheer you on, to have someone to tell you at the end of the day that you “done good”. Its also perfectly okay to seek that out or to just come right out and say “I need a little encouragement today”.

So often  we’re tempted to say things like “I hate this day, I wish it would end”, expressing our frustration and inadvertently spreading negativity (it is contagious, you know) when I really think what we are trying to do is find that one person to offer a smile or a word of praise when we need it most.

Sometimes we forget how effective it can be to just say “Ya know, I could use some encouragement if you’ve got a minute”.

Needing encouragement is normal and it is expected, but I think its easier to lose sight of that in these days of interacting with the world from behind a computer screen. We don’t think to reach out and end up depriving ourselves of the chance to have our own cheering section when we need it most.

The thing is, when you let your family and friends encourage you, it puts you in a better place to give back to them. It’s not being selfish, it’s being human – and a better human at that. Anyway, just what was on my mind today courtesy of the wisdom of a five year old who has the foresight to handpick her audience. :)

Set up your own cheering section today and while you’re at it, make sure you’re a part of someone else’s cheering section as well.

~steps down and stows the soapbox back in the cabinet behind the pots and pans~

Now on to our recipe. Have you ever eaten something that just made your stomach happy? Well this one makes mine about as happy as a pig in slop! It’s just so good. It’s incredibly easy, too, and perfect for folks who head off to busy days and want a good supper waiting on them when they get home. The ingredients are simple, the recipe is easy, and the results are good. I reckon that just about says it all.

You’ll need: Chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, an onion (I’m using a Vidalia), and a box of long grain and wild rice with seasonings.

You can use bone in or boneless chicken breasts. If you find yourself a little low on chicken, cut each breast into three strips. That way just three chicken breasts will yield nine pieces of chicken, more than enough for four people.

Remember, in the good old days folks could stretch the scrawniest chicken to feed a family of ten!

*I am using the Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice here and I haven’t seen a generic for it that has the seasoning packet so I stick with name brand on this one because that seasoning packet seasons this dish to perfection and makes it just taste sooooooo good!

Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker and sprinkle your chopped onion over them.

Oh, I forgot to tell you to chop your onion…so I’m telling you to do that now. On second thought, I’m asking nicely :).

Cover that with your cream of mushroom soup

I know it is strange for me to be using name brand soup here but I have a good reason. Last year around Thanksgiving I got cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups on sale for 50 cents a can so I bought a case of each. I have these hoarding issues when it comes to finding good deals, which have been passed down from my father, a man who once found tuna fish on sale and bought so much that we had an entire closet filled with nothing but canned tuna. This would have been a lot more helpful, of course, if we had been a family who actually ate tuna.

If you don’t have soup on hand, just go get generic. You’ll save anywhere from twenty to fifty cents a can (possibly more) and when you have a buggy full of groceries taking twenty cents off here and there can really add up fast!

Cook that on low for 7 – 8 hours.

Then, before serving make your rice according to package directions.

You can also make this rice the night before and put it in the fridge.

Before serving, stir in your rice.

Voila!

OH MY YUM!

This is so stinking good!

Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice

• 4 chicken breasts (Can use fewer, can use bone-in or boneless)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 box Long Grain and Wild Rice with Seasonings (I use Uncle Ben's)
  1. Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion over top. Top with cream soup. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. Cook rice according to package directions*. Before serving, stir rice in. Serve hot.
  2. *Can cook rice the night before and place in refrigerator. Before serving, stir cold rice in and let cook for another ten minutes or until rice is heated through.

“A hug is a great gift. One size fits all.

It can be given for any occasion &  it’s easy to exchange”

Submitted by Kolene. Submit your quote by clicking here.

Yum

Comments

1. Terri go Dawgs says

Thanks to Katy Rose today, I am reminded to thank you AGAIN, Christy for being such a wonderful support to me and my encourager when I really needed to get thru rough times starting in 2009. I hope my “cheerleading” and being a sounding board helped you too! Southern Plate has grown quite a bit since 500 people that I remember, 50,000 is not very far away now. I tip my hat to you and for always looking at the glass as half full too!
    Your simple and or easy Southern Recipes, along with background stories, bring joy to me. Thanks again.
    xox Terri

2. Suzette says

Hi Christy,
    Thank you for a delightful and positive site. I always enjoy your wise and positive comments.
    Your Chicken and wild rice prompted me to share my bit with you. I live in South Africa and here we have a lot of sunshine. We also have to pay a lot of money for electricity bills. I have obtained a sun-stove which works on the same principle as a slow-cooker apart from the fact that you need much less moist and no power apart from the sun. My family shall be having much the same kind of supper than your recipe. I have done the chicken breasts on top of apple slices and sun-dried tomatoes with barbecue salt.. Once the chicken was done ( at about three in the afternoon) I removed the chicken and added a few finely sliced mushrooms and some pasta rice ( with about a 1/4 cup of boiling water). the juices from the apple and chicken plus the bit of water needed only another hour in the sun and my supper is deliciously done.
    Bonne appetite.
    Regards ( vriendelike groete)
    Suzette O’Kennedy

3. Sage says

Hi there! I just put this in the crock pot this morning before leaving for work – it sounded so yummy (and easy – score!). But, I didn’t realize that I didn’t have Cream of Mushroom soup. I did have Golden Mushroom though so I used that. Think that will be okay or did I just mess it up royally? Hoping it turns out!

Best!
    Sage

4. Jen says

Silly question from “not the best cook’!! Do you need to add cooking spray to the crock pot, or add water?? It seems like with just the chicken and one can of soup, it would stick or dry out?! Help! (and don’t laugh! hehehehe) This sounds really good and easy so I think I can do this! :-)

5. Michele H. says

I would add a 1/4 to 1/3 c white wine, garlic and maybe sliced mushrooms. I’m into Black Garlic and could definitely add a clove or two. Has lovely earthy flavor that would compliment the mushrooms!

6. Bruce Hill says

This is my kind of recipe Christy! Especially on these busy work days when I’m too tired afterwards to get real involved with much in the kitchen but want something goood!
    Thanks so much for providing us with so many delicious meal (and dessert) choices to pick from and for brightening our days with your wonderful outlook on life! You were sure raised up right girl! How lucky are the rest of us to have a Christy Jordan in our lives? :)

7. Kathy Barnett says

You can also do this with pork chops. Omit the rice and add halved potatoes first, then chops, onion and mushroom soup. Cook for about 6-7 hours on low, then PIG out! Delicious.

8. Sharon Carson says

This was fantastic and so easy. I left the onion out because, as I remember you saying about your husband, mine also must have been dropped on his head as a child, lol. In my hubby’s humble opinion, onions were never intended for human consumption. Anyhow, even without the onion, it was sooo good! Definitely a keeper. Thanks for yet another great recipe.

9. Karyn says

Greetings! I am new to the crock pot cooking method — mostly because of fear of it burning while I’m not at home. But my new schedule necessitates I learn this new skill and your recipe sounds wonderful!

Question: do I need to add water with the soup? I’m having a challenge visualizing the soup alone, as being enough liquid to keep this from drying out (& burning – ha!) while cooking for 8 hrs. 😉

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes & experiences!

:). Karyn

10. Bruce Hill says

Ok, so I seem to have all of these ingredients…and a slow cooker (a really cool one I won somewhere! :) ) Have drooled over this recipe before didn’t get around to trying it, but this is going in the slow cooker in a few minutes!
    Thanks revisiting it Christy!
    ***cheers and applause*** for being such a Rock Star in our world! 😀

11. Linda says

I’d like to make this when my daughter’s family comes to visit next week, but I’d need to fix it in the oven since my crockpot isn’t large enough to fix what we’d need. Can I do something similar on 200° or so in the oven without the chicken drying out? I enjoy your newsletters, your cookbooks, and your down-to-earth practicality. My hubby even uses your recipes when it’s his turn to cook for poker night! Now that’s HIGH praise!!

1. […] so easy and so delicious! I may try that tomorrow. This one looks good too – have you tried it? Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice – and YOUR Cheering Section! | Southern Plate Did you use canned, fresh or frozen […]

2. […] is the one we did last night: Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice – and YOUR Cheering Section! | Southern Plate. I only used about half a sweet onion, and when I make it again, I'm going to season and sear the […]

3. […] Posted by FeistyFemme This is the one we did last night: Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice – and YOUR Cheering Section! | Southern Plate. I only used about half a sweet onion, and when I make it again, I'm going to season and sear the […]