Prepping for the UNA show

I headed to the University of North Alabama today to do a walk through of tomorrow night’s cooking show. Let me just say again, these culinary students at UNA have things DOWN! We had a great time walking through the show and I’m REALLY excited about getting to meet some of my Southern Plate Family tomorrow. Do you realize this will be the FIRST time I’ve ever gotten to meet a group of SP family members??

TWO YEARS and tomorrow night is like my very first family reunion! To make things even more exciting, I GET TO FEED EVERYONE!

This is me getting the feel for my set. They had planned to build a kitchen to match mine but ended up having to go with another set at the last minute. Home Depot built the entire set for the cooking show and furnished all of the appliances.

I walked through each dish and will be making seven different recipes on stage. As I finish making each recipe the culinary students will come out and serve the audience whatever it is I just made.

So folks will be sipping tea (thanks to Milo’s!) and eating on my recipes. How cool is that?

Oh, there are also a TON of door prizes and we’ll be drawing for those in between and during recipes.

I talk with my hands a lot…

It’s a BIG Auditorium

(You haven’t even seen a fraction of it)

These are some of the students who will be assisting me on stage. Lela, Lydia, and Becky will be bringing out the ingredients as I need them for each recipe and guess what else?

Then they clean up the mess when I’m done! Can’t beat that with a stick.

This picture is horribly out of focus but I felt like I kinda almost look skinny in it so I had to keep it in here :)

We darted over to the culinary department to check on food prep and you would not BELIEVE how much food they are making for everyone! They have over seven hundred Jordan Rolls made so far!

And  I have no idea how much caramel corn is here but it took two guys to pick this up and they’re still cooking.

These are some of the pork roasts they are slow cooking for the pork sliders I’ll be making. I’m making one recipe of it on stage but these are set aside to feed the audience once I’m finished with my part of things.

Eating, visiting, drinking tea. We’re gonna have a fun time at UNA tomorrow night!

Special thanks to Chef Ogun (right) who lent us his students and his talent for this event!

Hope to see you tomorrow night if you live near me. For more information about this event visit www.una.edu/southernplate

1000 Advance copies of my book will be available to purchase there as well and I’ll be spending the first hour and a half meeting folks and signing them for anyone interested. Southern Living, Milo’s, Purity Dairies, Hamilton Beach, Nestle Toll House, Juicy Juice, House-Autry, Big Green Egg, Ideal Sweetener, and many  more will be there to pass out samples and meet all of our great Southern Plate Family!

I CAN’T WAIT TO FINALLY MEET YOU!

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

Oh Christy! What a GREAT way to spend your First Southern Plate Family Reunion! Greeting SP Family Members, cooking for them, feeding them, and having someone do all the cleaning up for you, too?!! How great! Can hardly wait to hear how it went! I just KNOW you’ll have a blast!! You’ll be in my thoughts!!!

2. sue walker says

Dear Christy,
    Have a wonderful time.
    It sounds as though it is going to be a memorable experience. It’s a real shame that I cannot come but I’m sending best wishes to you and your helpers ( Bless them for cleaning up).
    Sue

3. Amy E says

Wow Christy! This is so amazing! I am so excited for you! Do I hear FoodNetwork calling for your own show? You and your family deserves the many blessings that God is giving you now and in the future! I am so happy for you!

4. Chris says

Christy I am so excited for you. I wish I could be back home to watch your beginings. I just know you will go far. I’m a little put out that I saw your cookbook in Sam’s yesterday and I ordered mine back the first of August and Amazon says it won’t be mailed out until Nov. I almost bought that one in Sam’s. I stood there and read and read while I could.. I’m so happy for you.

5. Tamela says

Oooo eee! You’re in the big time now. Watch out we’ve got the next Rachael Ray coming our way! Have a great time and I’ll be waitin’ here in central Florida for your visit to my area!!!!!

Christy this is so interesting and I have to ask you – aren’t you even a LITTLE BIT scared? Good grief – feeding that many is so different from what you usually do! I know you’ll just do a fabulous job. Can’t wait to hear every word. We’re all rooting for you!

7. Deanie says

Woo-Hoo, I am so excited for you!! Well girl, the ball is rolling! You are going to be in your element cooking up some delish food for the crowd! Enjoy your time in the spotlight! Wish that I could sample the food! Have fun!

8. Stephanie says

YAY! I am so excited–we bought our tickets the first of the month and have been counting down the days–it’s so hard to sit at work and concentrate when I want to be there already! Can’t wait for tonight!!

Oh, Christy….you are so BIG and Professional….look at your kitchen setup! WOW, so cool. Now here is my prediction……you will be in Knoxville (and on tour around the South) at our annual Southern Living Show, as Featured Guest this upcoming year. I’m so happy for you. So many great things are coming your way. You go girl!
    Tissie

Oh yeah….I forgot to tell you…..HGTV (Scripps), Fine Living, DIY, etc Corporate Headquarters is located in Knoxville too……so I know in my heart that you will soon have a cooking show, or have a new relationship with them… I feel it in my bones!

11. Bev says

How FUN this will be! I only wish I could be there. I’m so proud of you. You are definitely climbing up that ladder with considerably speed. We’ll be watching you on TV soon.
    Best of luck with your cooking show and you book.
    Love ya

12. kristin says

Hey Christy! I was at your show tonight and it was great! I am a student at UNA in the HES department and I wanted to meet you so badly and hate I didnt get too! I loved tonight! Cant wait to see whats in store next for you!

13. Madame Butterfly says

Duchess:

What a wonderful night for your and your family. I was so glad to be able to share it with you. I’m thinking it’s time for a national cooking show, too! Love you.

Butterfly