Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken And Rice (The downside of being a Swan Princess)

Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken And Rice - Most popular recipe ever on SouthernPlate!

I have a firmly held belief that the most important lessons in life are learned in Kindergarten. For this reason (and many others) when my five year old speaks, I listen. Oftentimes she’ll say something that has me stifling a giggle (Katy Rose does not like for folks to laugh at anything she says right now unless she clearly states that it is a joke beforehand), but others she’ll speak something truly profound and in her innocence has no idea that she has just opened her mama’s eyes to wisdom once again.

Yesterday, we were sitting in the living room together. Katy Rose was watching the Swan Princess while I worked on my laptop. The movie came to a part where the “evil guy” (as Katy Rose put it) was trying to keep the Swan Princess  prisoner and Katy watched for a few moments before turning to me in absolute frustration.

“You see that, Mama? See that stuff right there? That is why I’ve decided I don’t want to be a princess when I grow up anymore – because you have to deal with that evil stuff.” She huffed and looked back for a moment, clearly disappointed in the downside of her now former dream before adding, “So here is what I’m going to do. If I have kids, I’ll just be a Mama. If I don’t have kids, I’m just going to live with you forever, okay?”

“Okay Katy Rose, that works for me”

Bless her heart, at five years old she just really feels compelled to have her entire life plotted out and realizing there was a downside to royalty threw her for a loop.

Fact is, there is a downside to every dream no matter how big or small it is. Look at people whose lives you dare to envy. Actors and actresses appear to have it all but can you imagine the frustration of not being able to run to the grocery store or go to lunch with a friend without folks stalking you with cameras and such? The hours they spend memorizing lines, being berated by directors for improper delivery, pressure of keeping up appearances.  Reading glowing praise about yourself one day and scathing criticism the next. Sure, they may have a lot of money but they have a whole heap more bills than us that go with that. Staff, security, etc. There is a downside to it all and although we may hold them at arm’s length as if they are somehow a different class from us, they are just people beneath it all, same as we are.

I don’t reckon a lot of us think on the downside of our dreams and that is a good thing, because the upside of things is infinitely more inviting anyway. The funny thing that struck me most though, is that out of Katy’s two fallback dreams, both of them revolve around family.

With that in mind, how many of us are living the  dream right now? You may look at starring in a movie as the “dream” but I packed two lunches this morning and watched two beautiful little blonde heads  bob to the car as they headed off to school.

There may be a big reserved room for someone in a fancy restaurant with patrons dressed in formal attire but tonight I’m going to sit down to dinner with my husband and kids at an old oak dinner table and I doubt a single one of us will even be wearing shoes.

When I lay my head down at some point after the sun sets today I won’t be in a luxury suite, but I will be in our warm house, safely sheltered with a peacefully sleeping family and a big old dog snoring at the foot of my bed.

When I wake up tomorrow, I’ll have a big grin on my face and a song in my heart.

Living the dream, folks. Living the dream.

Now for the food….

You talk, I listen. Well, I listen whenever I can, of course! Folks have been asking for more slow cooker recipes for a multitude of reasons. Who doesn’t like to come home and have supper all cooked and waiting for them? I know I sure do! This is a recipe I modified for the slow cooker and some of you will be happy to know I also removed the entire stick of margarine it called for. Others, like myself, will shrug and go on with things. Because, in the grand scheme of the world, there are more important things to concern myself with than whether or not I’m ingesting a tablespoon of margarine with my chicken and rice ~winks~.

Alright, lets get cooking!

~revs up the engine~

Hello easy!

You’ll need: Yellow Rice*, Cream of Chicken, Whole kernel corn, onion, chicken breasts, and shredded cheddar cheese.

I love Zatarain’s rice, one of my favorite meal helpers. If you want to use the lower fat cream soup that’s fine in this. A lot of folks have been making my Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice with cream of chicken because they don’t care for cream of mushroom and that is great, too! Make it your own and tweak these recipes however they work best for your family.

Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Chop up onion and toss on the top.

Getting ready for my book tour, I made Ricky watch me do this. I kept telling him “Now you can do a slow cooker, its easy to cook supper if you just throw it all in and then finish it up when you get home from work. See how I’m doing this? See how simple this is?” He nods and feigns interest but who are we kidding? It’ll be pizza and happy meals the whole time I’m gone…

Spoon or glob your cream soup over that.

Y’all don’t be fooled by me using name brand soup here. I got it on sale. I’d use Timbuktoo brand if it saved me ten cents.

Now cover this and cook it according to the following:

Low – 7-8 hours

High 3-4 hours.

This is great to put on in the morning on the weekends if you cook it on high and then have a nice meal at lunchtime.

When it is done cooking, drain your corn and toss that in along with your cooked rice and cheddar.

You’ll need to cook your rice before this step. What I like to do is cook my rice the night before and just stick it in the fridge. Then you can dump it in and stir it up and give it a minute or two to get heated. You can also cook your rice soon as you get home, though. It’s still an easy and delicious supper!

Stir all of that up and give it a few minutes to get all heated and warm (this won’t take long)

This stuff is to die for. Prepare for a happy landing in  your stomach!

Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken And Rice
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I use Vidalia)
  • 1 -8 ounce box Zatarain's Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 - 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
  • 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
  1. Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over top. Spoon cream soup over top of that. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.

Are you living the dream?

Tell us how each day is a dream come true in the comments

section below!

“Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today.

It’s already tomorrow in Australia.”

~Charles Schultz. Submitted by Amy.  Submit your quote by clicking  here.

1. Samantha says

Christy, I just wanted to let you know that I finally tried this recipe and it was delicious! There’s never a miss with one of your recipes! You have gotten me out of a cooking rut that I had been in for a while, always making the same old things. Every recipe I’ve tried of yours has been wonderful. Thanks so much! I’ve shared your site with my mother and she loves it and your recipes as well.

I’ll definitely be making this one at least a couple of times a month. It was so easy, and everyone loved it. As far as any comments about it being bland, I think you really must use the Zatarain’s New Orleans Yellow Rice as your recipes states because it has some spices that give the dish a nice flavor. I followed your recipe exactly and we think it was just perfect!

• Beth says

I was wondering the same thing. I googled how to cook rice in the slow cooker, and it seems to me it’d work just fine as long as you put it in with the chicken at the very beginning and add the necessary water for the rice. I’m going to give it a try this week.

You can certainly cook the rice in with it but there are a few things you have to do to guarantee success. I add my rice in the last hour (yes, I do this, I’ll explain why I don’t recommend it in this recipe in just a sec ;) and stir the rice up with your water (the amount called for on the package) really well before adding it in. Also, stir the rice up from time to time, this will ensure you don’t get dry spots. If you add it in the beginning with all of the chicken the rice will be overcooked and gummy and the chicken won’t get as tender. The reason why I don’t recommend this is that if someone does it and has dry patches from not stirring or gummy overcooked rice from cooking it too long, I get the blame :)

2. Lisa says

I assume I can substitute chicken thighs for the breasts? I have several in the freezer that need some attention….Looking forward to making this tomorrow! Glad I came across this recipe. I was on the hunt for a gluten-free Crock Pot chicken and rice recipe, but am going to make this instead.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

3. cathy says

i’m going to try it today
    but in the Netherlands we don’t have cream of chicken
    we do have creamy chicken, it looks more watery
    but i figured out it looks the most like so ill try that
    and i’m adding some beans

cant wait till its done <3

4. Jasmine says

This recipe is so delicious!! I tweaked it a little and made with Vigo yellow rice, an extra can of cream of chicken and a can of drained peas as well as the corn. I’m so glad I did that because it adds so much more flavor and not dry at all. I served over biscuits and my family loved it!

5. Natalie says

Hi Christy, I just bought all the makings for this (I’m super excited to eat it!) and I realized I only got a 6.9 oz box of the Zatarans. Also, when I put the chicken in I mixed it in with the onions and cream of chicken instead of spooning them on top. Will that make a difference?

• Jennifer says

I’m making it right now and came across the same exact issue. They only sell 6.9oz and 12oz Zatarans yellow rice at my store.

I’m going to shrink the recipe a little bit personally since I’m not cooking for a large family.

Hey Jennifer! This one slipped past me, I’m sorry. Box sizes are changing so much in this economy, it is difficult to keep up. I’d just use whichever is a “normal” sized box, i.e.. not family sized. I hope this helps.
        Natalie, mixing it together is a wonderful idea :)

6. LeeAnn Boyne says

Sounds like a wonderful recipe, and I can’t wait to try it. But i was wondering….. About how many servings will this make? We are only a family of 4, but I love to cook in large batches so the hubby has lunches during the week and also to freeze so we have an easy meal on nights that we are very busy.

We are a family of four as well and I’m like you, I like to cook a meal and have one or two servings left over. I think you’ll find this recipe feeds four in a good hearty way with perhaps one serving left. I often double it so I can have a few lunches.

You can but please know that you’ll end up with an entirely different dish at the end. The yellow rice has lots of flavor and seasonings added into it so you’ll need to adjust by adding seasonings, broth, and such to add flavor to your dish. Substituting the yellow rice mix with plain white is going to bland it out a great deal so if you decide to wing it, really get in there and mess around to try to get the flavor back :)

7. Christi W. says

My semi-picky kids wanted 2nds and my oldest (8yrs) said “mom, this is a keeper, can I have some in my lunch tomorrow!” That RARELY happens!
    Hubby said it was a keeper too, and its just as good reheated!
    Thank you so much!!

I don’t use jasmine rice in this. You can use whatever you like but it will be a different recipe and you’ll need to add seasoning of your choice in order to make it flavorful since my recipe gets the seasoning from the type of rice I use. Hope this helps :)

8. Danni says

As a college student who likes to cook, but rarely has much time to do so..this was amazing! And I’m not even done yet! (Just tasted the chicken, about the add everything else) I adjusted a little because I only used one, large, chicken breast – but this is awesome! Inexpensive, because I buy chicken in bulk, and tasty! Thank you! I’ll be doing this fairly often!

• Nicole says

Hi! I actually had the same question about the butter because of this that you wrote just before the recipe:

“This is a recipe I modified for the slow cooker and some of you will be happy to know I also removed the entire stick of margarine it called for. Others, like myself, will shrug and go on with things. Because, in the grand scheme of the world, there are more important things to concern myself with than whether or not I’m ingesting a tablespoon of margarine with my chicken and rice ~winks~.”

It made me think you had previously used butter too :) I might experiment with using the butter. Thanks for a great recipe!

9. Jen says

To the person asking about cream cheese chicken, I make something like that. I got the recipe from my sister who got it from a friend. You take 3-4 chicken breasts, one of those Italian dressing packets and sprinkle that over your chicken in the crockpot. Add I think its like a half cup of water and cook the chicken on high for 3-4 hours. Then shred your chicken. Add two cans of cream of chicken and a block of cream cheese. I break the cream cheese up into small pieces as I ad it so it will stir up better. Stir all of this together. Serve this over pasta of your choice. I usually use shorter pasta like pene or rigatoni. It is really yummy and great to serve company. Hope this helps.

10. Nicki says

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and I was so excited to try it. It was just ok :/ I used the exact recipe it called for but I thought it was very bland. My fiancé thought the same thing. I don’t know where you taste the spices from the box of yellow zatarain’s rice because I bought the same thing, cooked it according to directions and it was still very bland. I even added two cans of super sweet corn and it still didn’t make any difference. I agree with other comments about adding broccoli. Maybe I will add that next time along with seasonings. I’m the one who follows the recipe to a “T” and make notes for adjustments for next time I make it. Thank you for a basic recipe but next time I will add seasonings to this.

11. Linda says

My granddaughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease so we are joining the gluten free crowd and I am re-learning how to cook. Unfortunately, there is gluten in the Cream of Chicken (and the rest of the Cream Of..**** as well). I’ve made gluten free cream of chicken soup, but that’s actually soup and since you don’t add water to your recipe, I’m concerned there will be too much liquid. I would love to be able to make this because it’s one of her favorite meals. Any suggestions?

You can absolutely make this with soup made from scratch. I have a homemade recipe for it in my second book that I use from time to time as well. It will add a wee bit more liquid but that won’t be a problem with this recipe. I’m so glad she got her diagnoses! I imagine there will be a lot less pain moving forward now that y’all know. What a wonderful and loving grandmother she is blessed with!!

12. LeighAnn Eva says

Hey there, Christy!
    I’ve been following and reading your blog for a couple years now (sorry it took me so long to say hey and leave a comment!)
    Not one of your recipes has ever failed me (even with all the adjustments I make ;) but I’ve been wondering- do you have any good substitutes for cream soup? I’ve recently been diagnosed with Celiac’s and I just can’t seem to find any that’s gluten free! As well as most broths and bullion cause I figured sour cream or mayo mixed with one of those things would make a good substitute but I am at a loss. Why does broth need gluten? Shouldn’t it just be BROTH?
    My family and I LOVE casseroles (and that’s putting it mildly) especially ones in the crock pot. I’ve been able to swap out different things and make it work but nothing and I mean NOTHING beats the convenience of a can of cream soup!
    Do you have any recommendations? Ideas? Places to point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you for sharing your stories and fantastic recipes!
    LeighAnn Eva

Hey LeighAnn!!! Thank you for your kind words, you made my day! I sure do feel for you, Celiac is nothing to shake a stick at but now that you have a diagnosis I hope there are pain free days ahead! Do you happen to have a copy of my second book, Come Home to Supper? There are homemade cream soup recipes in there that mix up in just a couple of minutes so they are almost as convenient as opening a can. They call for flour but you could use a little cornstarch instead. Another great alternative, and I know this sounds strange and foreign, is this powdered root called Glucomanan. You can buy it in a medicine looking bottle on Amazon and 1/2 a teaspoon will thicken up soups and sauces like nobody’s business!!! You can use that in my homemade recipe as well. Also, there are a lot of gluten free recipes on Southern Plate, you just gotta dig them up. I’d start with Monster cookies though!!!

13. Fran says

This sounds so delicious! I recently got an electric pressure cooker and was wondering if it could be cooked in that appliance instead of a slow cooker? I’m looking forward to making it – using whichever method works the best!

14. Kandi Bayne says

Hi, I wanted to know if you could make this receipe with Tyson grilled and ready diced chicken and if so how much chicken would I use. Am making it for work tomorrow. Thank you.

Hi Kandi!! You sure could use it! Now for the amount. I am not 100% certain but I would guess each chicken breast is typically around 6-8 ounces, multiply that times for and you have 24-32 ounces. I am not sure how those come but I hope that helps you figure it out. :-)

15. Ashley says

I made this but added some onion and garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and white pepper. I also added sliced fresh mushrooms with the corn. I used velveeta instead of shredded cheese and OMG, it’s amazing!

• Melanie says

I’m going to try this on the stovetop tonight, mostly because I forgot to put it in my slow cooker this morning, I will let you know how it goes! I’ve made it before in the crockpot and it turned out delicious, so I already know it’s a wonderful recipe!

• Melanie says

Success! Here’s how I did it on the stove: Start by fixing the rice according to package directions. While that’s going, dice your onion (I added a green bell pepper just for some extra veggies) and chop up a chicken breast into small bite size pieces. Sauté your onion (and bell pepper in my case) in a tablespoon of butter (could use olive oil) til translucent in a large skillet. I seasoned my chicken with Cajun seasoning and tossed it in with the onions with another tablespoon of butter, and cooked it til it was done. Then I added the cream of chicken soup, corn and by that time my rice was done, and in it went too, I stirred that all up really well and got it good and warm, then stirred in the cheese til it was nice and melted, done! Other that the pot to cook the rice in its basically a one pot meal, and comes together pretty quick.

• Marybeth says

The only way Ive ever made this was on the stovetop. I just cooked my rice, added onion to cook along with the rice, and cooked the chicken and then mixed it all together in a pot and simmered it until the cheese was melted and the mixture was heated thoroughly.
      I also use Velveeta shreds cheese since it melts perfectly.

16. Katie says

Can you use canned chicken breast instead of raw or cooked frozen chicken. My family just recently came into some financial trouble and im trying to use items i already have, since buying ingredients is a bit of an issue (no money), and i happened to have the soup rice and corn but only chicken i have happens to be canned chicken breast. (the kind mostly used for chicken salad) If it can be used how would i go about cooking the dish differently?

17. S. Wilson says

My family and I loved this dish and then I went to tweaking. I put a Mexican spin on the dish and I added cilantro, chili powder, cumin, fiesta corn, and fire roasted corn. I also used the family size rice and two cans of soup. Everyone loves it!! I took it to a church dinner and every lady there wanted the recipe. Great great meal, thank you!!

1. […] Today 06:11 PM I made this Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken And Rice (The downside of being a Swan Princess) | Southern Plate It's like my go-to meal I swear I make it like once a month and I probably only cook like 8-10 […]

2. […] Sunday, January 25: “Homemade” pizza (I am using a refrigerated crust) Monday, January 26: Crock pot Lasagna Tuesday, January 27: Crock pot Salisbury Steak Wednesday, January 28: Chicken Stir-fry (no recipe) Thursday, January 29: Spaghetti (no recipe, jarred sauce) Friday, January 30: Pasta Toss Saturday, January 31: Crock pot Chicken Parmesan Sunday, February 1: Crock pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice […]