Cookie Roundup (My Favorites!)

Cut Out Cookies For Santa

(click cookie name for recipe)

I’ve had a lot of folks ask what my favorite cookie recipes are for Christmas cookie exchanges so I’m putting them together in one handy, dandy list to help you with your holiday get togethers. My favorite thing to do is have other families each make one type of cookie and then get together for a big cookie exchange. By making a few dozen of one type and exchanging them like this, we can all end up with a big holiday cookie variety without the mess and also get to enjoy the delicious baking skills of our friends!

For more Christmas treats that are a must have in my family, check out Grandma Lucy’s Coffee Can Bon Bons (p.160), Creole Candy (our version of a praline p.159), Microwave Peanut Brittle (p.162), and Sugared Pecans (p.143) in the Southern Plate cookbook!

Fruitcake Bar Cookies

Candied and Dried fruit layered with cinnamon, brown sugar, and just enough flour and butter to hold it all together until it reaches your mouth!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are the cookies that, according to both of my children, make me the absolute best mother in the entire universe.

Chocolate…chocolate…enough said. :)

Chocolate Chip Cloud Cookies

My nephew took one bite of these cookies years ago and declared them to taste just like clouds! Crisp and delicate meringue wrapped around chocolate chips – it’s all good here!

Peanut Butter Cookies

Nothing like a good old fashioned peanut butter cookie and a big glass of milk!

Awesome Oatmeal Cookies

If you make these, my mailing address is P.O. Box 2308….

and I love you.

~wink~

Mama’s Milk Dunkin M&M Cookies

Mama always made these growing up and let us decorate the tops with M&M’s before putting them in the oven. We got to use exactly three M&M’s per cookie…

Santa loves ‘em

Mexican Wedding Cookies

I love baking from scratch, but I also love being able to turn out cookies as wonderful as this using boxed white cake mix!

Dishpan Cookies

This is one of my personal all time favorites. I like to make ‘em really big and put each one in it’s own little bag with curling ribbon at top to give out as treats.

Oatmeal Raisin Scotchie Bars

This is my go to bar cookie recipe, with the addition of butterscotch chips and raisins to make a cookie that is a favorite of my husband.

Pecan Nougat Cookies

Oh. My. Goodness. So. Good. Please don’t leave me alone in the house with them! ~whimper~

Chocolate Oatmeal No Bakes

Always a classic!

Each day comes bearing its own gifts.  Untie the ribbons.

~Ruth Ann Schabacker

Comments

1. Teresa D. says

I like to make sure there are plenty of things for each age group of young children to do and as active as possible without a TV. We only have the one television and the guys usually have it permanently set to football for those holi-days.

2. Nancy Michel says

I like to make lists of the items I plan to bake, presents for each person and write out the menu. Then I further break it down and make lists for groceries, wrpping paper needs, Christmas cards, stamps, and bake/cook items that I can freeze and thaw/bake etc. I then assign dates to be accomplished. By doing something each day from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve, I can get more done with less stressing and know that I have it all covered.(Most of the time!!) I can then relax and enjoy the holiday with family and friends without spending all my time fretting or cooking.

3. Shelly K says

Thanks so much for the great cookie post! All the cookies look great. My favorite holiday tip is don’t make things complicated. Don’t pick Christmas Eve to try out that new 3 layer cake with 2 different fillings and a ganache icing. Stick with what you know you make good and can do easily. Save the 3 layer cake recipe for January when you have time and maybe next year it can be your new fabulous dessert to bring to Christmas Eve!

4. Dena says

My holiday entertaining tip – have more cookies than you think you will need! People will always eat more cookies during the holidays. Develop some recipes that can become your own tradition and bake them – and share them!

JUst open your web-site and loved the cookie recipes. The dishpan cookie sounds really grest. I will make these tomorrow. Would love to win your Nestle’s products.
    HAve a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

6. Jennifer says

I mis en plas out for breads and desserts, so that when I want to prepare desserts and breads, some of the work is done.

I also make cookie dough and roll into a log and freeze to be baked off last minute.

Thanks so much for these. Although I don’t bake a lot of cookies for the holidays (Mom ALWAYS makes a huge variety of cookies and brings a box of cookies for all of us (each home gets their own box) but I like to have a few. I think I’m going to try some of these this year — the fruitcake bar cookie looks interesting. I wonder if I can get them done before the “food fest” starts here. Off to check out the recipe and my pantry ….

Thanks

8. Maria "Ladybug" Ga says

Hi Christy, Wonderful Recipes! I would like to know if you could use Gluten Free Bisquick, to replace the flour? New To this Gluten Free Diet. Thank You
    I Love the Pecan Nougat Cookies, The Fruitcake Bar Cookies, The Chocolate Chip Cloud Cookies, “O Heck” I just Love them all
    I Wish You and your Family A Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

9. EMMA says

Wonderful cookie recipes. Some I have made and some I have not. My cookie are Chocolate chip, Sugar cookies, Chocolate No Bake Oatmeal, Double Chololate Chip. I must try some of your cookie recipes.
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.