Oreo Cookie Balls- 3 Ingredient Easy!

Time is flying and Christmas is nipping at our heels. I’ve had a busy week with school parties and behind the scenes Southern Plate work so in order to help me get caught up on the work involved in getting my own family ready for Christmas, my friend Jyl of The Post It Place has graciously offered to guest blog for me today. Now I just need her to follow up this blog post by bringing me some of these Oreo Balls when I see her this weekend… Thank you, Jyl! Gratefully, Christy

Jyl says: This is one of the most requested treats that has made its way out of my kitchen. Everyone that has tasted them wants more and every year I get asked hundreds of times when I am making them again. For them to be so good yet so easy is almost sinful.

Oreo balls ingredients

To make these, you’ll need: oreos, almond bark, and cream cheese.

Christy’s Note: Jyl! You bought generic oreos. I’m s’proud I could jes cry!

~sniff~ I just love it when people are cheap. Gets me right in the heart!

crushed oreos

Crush up your Oreo cookies very fine, filling and all.

I know it doesn’t look like I crushed up the filling in here but I promise I did.

I use a food processor for this step but if you don’t have one you will need to put your cookies in a sealable bag and hammer the heck out of them.

naked oreo balls

You will then add your softened cream cheese to the crushed cookies.

I use my hands to mush it all together until you have a dough but you can use an electric mixer if you like. Once you have it mixed really well shape a spoonful into bite-sized balls.

melting almond bark

While all of this is happening you want to have your almond bark melting in a double boiler or whatever you have. I don’t have a double boiler so I make my own by placing a glass bowl on top of a pan with some water in the bottom pan. I keep mine on about medium heat to keep the almond bark from scorching.

Then dip each ball into the melted almond bark until it is totally coated. I use a toothpick to dunk mine and pull them out. Once you have them all dipped and they have completely set you will want to store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Mmmm, these don’t last long at all at my house so I have to make a TON! But one batch will make about 60-70 balls.

Oreo Cookie Balls- 3 Ingredient Easy!

Oreo Cookie Balls- 3 Ingredient Easy!

• 1 package Oreos (or generic)
  • 1 brick cream cheese, softened (8 ounces)
  • 1 package white almond bark

1. Crush cookies very fine either by using a food processor or by placing them in a sealed bag and crushing them with a mallet or rolling pin. Using an electric mixer, add softened cream cheese to crushed cookie mixture and mix until well blended. Scoop out and form into one inch balls and place on waxed paper until ready to dip.
  2. Melt Almond bark either by using a double boiler (Christy just uses the microwave, heating for 45 seconds at a time and stirring in between until completely melted). Dip each cookie ball into almond bark and place back on waxed paper to cool completely. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. YUM!

Blessed is the season which engages the whole world

in a conspiracy of love.

~Mabi. Submit your quote by clicking here.

Comments

1. Melissa G says

These sound wonderful! My sweet niece Lannie and I share a great love of cooking and I’ve recently introduced her to Southern Plate! We are far apart in miles but Southern Plate makes “our visits” even sweeter! Lannie and I plan to make these for the holidays!

2. Annarose says

I made these last night for my husband and made Buckeyes at the same time so they could be dipped together. I found that they aren’t ready to be made into balls until the dough sticks to the beater in a ball. Also I really should have refrigerated my balls for a few minutes (I meant to do this while making the Buckeyes!) but I forgot and they were a little harder to dip, but they taste great! Oh and I dipped them in milk chocolate almond bark so I could use up the rest of the chocolate from the Buckeyes :) Had I thought it through a bit more, I would have sprinkled some Christmas sprinkles on top! Next year!

3. Annarose says

Oh and apparently you have much more restraint/aren’t as lazy as me because I only got 24 out of my batch. They’re big! I seem to have one default size for every cookie and candy I make, and that’s golf ball sized :)

4. Linda says

Just made the “Homemade turtles”. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put them in xmas tins for my co-workers with a doiley liner, each got a dozen, and the rest for my husband and I. Love these short ingredients and quick recipes. Thanks! Happy Holidays to you and all your family

Just signed up for your e-newsletter.

5. Susan says

Has anyone tried using the reduced fat cream cheese? I forgot to get some regular cream cheese at the store…..but I already have some reduced fat on hand. And I really want to avoid the grocery store today!

6. Maegen says

I told myself that I was done with sweets for a while…that was until I saw this recipe…I just made a batch of these oreo cookie balls. What can I say? They were a little bite of heaven. How can you possibly go wrong with oreo cookies, cream cheese, and white chocolate???

7. Christine Davis says

I loved these cookie balls soooo much. I also tried using graham crackers in place of the oreo, and added a little bit of peanut butter, and some powdered sugar for added sweetness, then the cream cheese. Yummy!

Oh, this is funny! I did the exact same thing for Christmas treats this year, and didn’t have nearly as good of an outcome. Don’t get me wrong, tasted great but looked horrible. I just haven’t quite mastered them yet, I guess. My Mom has your book, and I have glanced through it (haven’t had time to read it yet, sadly). But, I am looking forward to it! Ashamed to say, I had never heard of the Southern Plate until I had been doing my own blog for a couple weeks, and my Mom mentioned it to me. She said we were doing about the same things…yours on a much better and grander scale of course. But, I’m headed that direction, hopefully. Ironically, I am called The Onyx Plate. The post about the Oreo Truffles is called “Truffles: My Nemesis”. If you just happen to have time, and want to read it, you can find it at http://www.theonyxplate.com. Thanks for all you do for inspiring others and myself! I can’t wait to read the book (if I can pry it away from my wonderful Mom)!

9. Nancy Hearell says

Made these for Christmas. Everyone loved them. Wanted to make the turtles too but couldn’t find the square pretzels anywhere in the state of Arkansas! I also made your fudge, your pecan pie, your coconut cake and your cherry cream cheese pie, your sweet and sour green beans and your ham. Guess you could say we had a Christy Christmas, lol. Everything was wonderful! Thank you. By the way I love your cookbook that I bought myself for Christmas!

10. Alice B. says

The first year I made these I thought I’d let them harden on a wire rack. Big mistake as the dough was too soft so they sunk down over the wires! Learned then to refrigerate a while before coating in the bark! They still got used as I cut around the wires to loosen them, maybe shaved them a bit (don’t remember now) and recoated as necessary. No wire rack for the second round of coatings though! People loved them!

Wonder if Nutter Butter’s as the cookie and all then coated in the chocolate would be good?!

11. Kelly says

WHERE are you guys finding white almond bark???? I live outside Balt. MD so it’s not like I’m out in the sticks. I’ve tried ShopRite, Safeway, Giant and our local grocery store to no avail. Is there something I’m missing??? The only thing I could find was almond paste? Is that what you guys are calling almond bark?? Thanks.

I always find it in the exact same place no matter what store I go to: Right by the chocolate chips and such. I have bought it at Krogers, Publix, Wal Mart, Target, Food Land, etc and its always right there. I’m hoping you were just looking in the wrong place so when you go hunting next time it’ll pop right out at you and you won’t have to be frustrated again :)
      I really hope this helps!

• Kelly says

Thanks so much. I will try Walmart. I was looking in the baking aisle of our grocery store but the only thing I can find is Almond Paste? That’s not it though right? I find that everywhere. It does say White Almond Bark correct?
        I found almond bark on the net but it just looks like white chocolate withe slivers of almond in it. Seem slike the almonds would separate from the chocolate when you melted it and you just be rolling the balls in white chocolate?? I don’t see slivers of almonds stuck to her balls in the pic So confused. Thanks.

I’ve been making these for years. We call them “Dirty Snowballs”…Everyone loves them, especially with a glass of milk. They’re the first item to sell out at bakesales. I find all the ingredients at Walmart.

13. Mary says

I’ve been making these for years. We call them “Dirty Snowballs”. Everyone loves them especially with a glass of milk. They’re a big seller at bakesales! I find all the ingredients at Walmart.

14. mygalsal says

I made these into footballs last fall. Shaped into little footballs and dipped in chocolate then piped laces with white chocolate. They were a big hit with my daughter and the other student trainers for our football team.

15. Sharon Hughes says

These were HUGE hit for Christmas gatherings! I am not the best cook, and items asked to bring are either chicken and dumplings or deviled eggs…..got a new “specialty” thanks to Christy….and everyone needs to be thought of in a special way when something is eaten that was like their trademark…..thank you again, Christy!!!!

16. Kayla Baisden says

My sister first introduced me to these wonderful Oreo balls.. I love them and when they are made my family can’t get enough. Also they are great with milk chocolate too instead of white chocolate.

17. Jess says

Quick question??? After you make these oreo balls how long can they set out for? Do they need to stay cold because of the cream cheese or can they set out for a long period of time? I am wanting to make these for the kids at school but it has to be individually wrapped and i dont want these to go bad bc of the cream cheese. Thanks these sound so good!

18. Melinda Dennison says

Hi Christy….Not sure if you can fix your recipe, but i think it’s important to let everyone know you should refrigerate the balls for one hour or freeze for 20 minutes before coating in chocolate :)

19. Adeline says

I just made these for Valentine Day…. I used the Berry burst oreo cookies and dipped them in pink colored white chocolate with various sprinkles—so cute and boy is that berry flavor great.
    I followed the recipe-which I’ve made several times now…but found that with this cookie ( Berry Burst ) I actually had to use another half package of cookies…. they turned out yummy !!
    thanks