Peanut Butter Fudge Iced Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix, prepared according to package directions*
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Prepare brownies according to package directions and allow to cool completely before beginning icing.
For the Icing
- In heavy saucepot combine the sugar, milk, shortening, margarine, and salt. Bring to a rolling boil while stirring constantly.
- Once it reaches a rolling boil stop stirring and let boil for two minutes or until it reaches soft ball stage (I don't use a thermometer, I just let it boil for two minutes).
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Beat until smooth and quickly spread over the brownies.
*This recipe works fine for a 9×13 or 8×8. If making an 8×8 pan of brownies, I’d still use this same amount of icing and just let it be thicker.