Pulled Pork Sliders for GameDay!

I’m glad I got y’all to keep me up to date on important dates and such because if it wasn’t for you, I’d miss half of the big food events in any given year. Today’s example is Vicky, who informed me that there was a big football game this weekend when she asked me what I was making for it. I made a few phone calls and lo and behold, found out that it’s the Super Bowl!

Now don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what the super bowl is. It’s that thing that happens that has all the neat commercials. The cool thing is that you don’t have to actually watch and wait on the commercial breaks nowadays because you can just get up the next morning, check out the ones getting the most buzz on the web, and go watch them on Youtube! I love technology.

So thanks to Vicky on Facebook, I’m going to be bringing you game day recipes all week long, beginning with these great Pulled Pork Sliders.

The makings of these pork sliders are what make them so good. Slow cooked Southern Style pulled pork bbq is made overnight in your slow cooker (and so very easy!). Then we make Jordan Rolls (don’t freak out if you have never made yeast rolls, you CAN do it and I show you how) and top them with a little vinegar slaw. To streamline the slaw, I bought the bag of pre-shredded cabbage (which had some pretty carrots in it for color) and just added in the rest of my ingredients.

The best part is that the recipes and step by step photos are already here on Southernplate.com.

Just visit the posts below and use that handy print button at the bottom of each to print out the recipe.

• Slow Cooked Pulled Pork BBQ
  • Jordan Rolls
  • Vinegar Slaw
  • I’ll be back tomorrow with more great recipes you can whip up in a jif while you’re watching all those great commercials this weekend!

~grins and winks~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What became of our Pork Slider Models?

One of the questions I get asked the most is from folks wanting to know what I do with all the food I cook here on SouthernPlate.com. Well thats the easy part, I feed people! Often times when you see a big spread it is from one of our Sunday dinners and already eaten and gone by the time I post it. Today I had these made by nine thirty this morning with plenty of fixin’s leftover to make more for our supper tonight. So I made a phone call to my husband first, who was too busy with work to come pick them up. My second phone call hit pay dirt when my dad answered and said he was near my house and on his way to an office of folks he works with. He swung by and picked them up to take to their new home :)

Here they are, about to get packed up for their new home…

So somebody is getting a little snack courtesy of me, you, Southern Plate, and Vicky reminding me that the Super Bowl is this weekend.

Today, instead of a quote I have a cute poem I found this past weekend. It’s just precious and brings a smile to my face every time I recite it.

If birds have little birds

and fish have little fishes

Why can’t sinks have little sinks

Instead of dirty dishes?

~giggle~

My friend, Jyl wrote a post on her blog about the Legend of Trail Trees. I’d never heard of these before and found the post fascinating! Click here if you’d like to read it. Her post is of special interest to those of us with Native American ancestry, boy scout roots, or dreams of someday being McGyver when we grow up :) Surprisingly, I actually fit all three of those criteria, but thats a story for another day…

Comments

1. Those rolls look delightful (not that everything else doesn’t!). I will surely be making those at some point.
      2. I made your Cracker Barrel “grilled” chicken tenders this weekend and they were phenomenal!
      3. Then I read your FAQ and saw that you were a family & consumer sciences ed major…SO WAS I. I proceeded to get really excited, resulting in my roommate laughing hysterically.

Love your blog and your recipes! Have a wonderful day =)

2. Rose Mary Mogan says

Hi Christy,
      Those sandwiches look so good. I can’t wait to try the recipe. I finally got my copy of your book I ordered from Amazon.com and boy oh boy what a great book. I could not stop reading it. It was like I was in a trance, I wanted to stop reading, but with all of the wonderful recipes and stories I just couldn’t stop, I read about half of it last night and plan to read the other half sometimes today. We are expecting between 12 and 23 inches of snow, so I plan to shop first and get home and settle in with your book. Your good heart just comes through in every page of the book. I LOVE IT. I will be exicited to try some of the recipes I have never made before like the MUD HENS. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your wonderful stories of your family.

3. Momma K says

Christy, you’re reading my mInd! I already have 20# of pulled pork in the freezer ready for our big Super Bowl Party! It’s a really BIG deal this year since it’s being played here in the DFW Metroplex area! My mother-in- law is fixin’ the slaw; still not sure about what sauce I’m going to use. I may test drive the one in your book this week. Still curious to see if anyone actually puts the slaw on the sandwiches. You know being Texans we’re not use to that, we usually have chopped beef brisket with tomato based sauce. So this will be a fun experience!
      Really enjoy your blog and book. I got it for Christmas and gave my sister one for Christmas! Last week, we both made chicken stew on the same night, and didn’t even know it! Both families loved it! Thanks!!!

4. Lauren says

I really love that you have such great recipes for vinegar slaw and sauce- I grew up on that Eastern Carolina goodness and it’s great to see it embraced by an Alabamian such as yourself! Guess it’s high time I tried white sauce, huh?! ;-)

Rose Mary Morgan- Mud Hens are the most wonderful little treats ever! I made them a couple weeks ago and my family of 5 devoured the whole pan almost in a single sitting :)

5. Joanna says

Keeping these in mind for the weekend. My daughter is turning 10 next Tuesday and, for the second year in a row, having her party on Super Bowl Sunday. She wants a football cake/party again. We have cake and ice cream and then yummy Super Bowl Party-style snacks. We tried to tell her she could have whatever girly theme she desired, but she went with football (“I’m starting to like football,” she says.) Bless her heart, we’ll turn her into her mama’s daughter yet!

6. Marcia says

The sliders are ready to be created by each guest. Thanks Christy! I did a trail run of the rolls yesterday. The friends that got the test batch were very positive. The house smells great!

7. Diane says

Bought some boston butts super cheap and found this recipe…it was very, very good. Glad I put 2 more butts in the freezer. Thank you Christy for doing all the hard work and giving us such great, tried and true recipes!