Simple Strawberry Soup (Cinderella’s Favorite!)

There is a restaurant in Disney World located in the Grand Floridian Resort whose specialty is Strawberry Soup. This is the stuff of legends and the legend is so big that it has reached all the way to North Alabama ~grins~.

Now on our recent trip to Disney, we did not stay in the Grand Floridian, I wanna make that clear. It is a gorgeous hotel but I would’ve had to mortgage a kidney or sell one of the kids to be able to afford to stay there. We DID, however, eat at 1900 Park Fare (free, as a matter of fact, but I’ll talk about how we did that in an upcoming post).

When I told Mama we were going to eat at 1900 Park Fare she said “Oh! Are you gonna have the strawberry soup?”. I got the same question from two other people so I got to thinking that you might like to have the strawberry soup in your neck of the woods as well.

Most people don’t realize that Disney gives out any recipe served in their restaurants if you ask for it. In fact, many of the standards are already pre-printed on cards to hand out whenever someone requests them. If you ask for a recipe that is not immediately handy, they take your email or mailing address and the chef will get it to you. So I got the recipe for Strawberry Soup (it is also several places on the internet) and I tweaked the ingredients and recipe itself to make it a little less fussy.

Strawberry Soup is lightly sweet, rich, thick, and just makes your tongue wanna dance. It’s sort of like a Strawberry Smoothie, only better – and prettier. :)

And LOOK who endorses this recipe!

When I asked Cinderella if I could pose with her and the strawberry soup I said “I promise I won’t spill it on your beautiful dress” and she said “Well now, strawberry soup is my favorite, I wouldn’t mind one bit if you spilled it on me!”

Now that is seriously some kind of good!

Lets get to making it-

Hang on tight because this one is gonna go fast!

You’ll need: Frozen sliced sweetened strawberries (thawed), Heavy Whipping Cream, and Sour Cream.

You can get light sour cream if you like. Some folks will say “Well why bother if you’ve got the fat from the whipping cream and sugar from the strawberries” but I think most of us will fall on they “Hey, every little bit helps” category here.

The original recipe was in ounces, which is something most of us aren’t used to, so I translated it into our usual cooking measurements. It also was a little too fussy for my taste (Like I’m really going to go buy plain yogurt just to use two ounces of it in a recipe?) so I made it a little lower maintenance for us, too. I think the best things in life are really simple, but we as humans tend to want to complicate matters. This is especially true of food.

I hope and pray my sense of taste never becomes so sophisticated that I can discern between a recipe that has eight ounces of sour cream versus a recipe that has six ounces of sour cream and two ounces of plain yogurt. The day that happens, I’ve gotten entirely above my raising.

Place your thawed strawberries in a blender. Add your sour cream.

Pour in your whipping cream.

Don’t blink because we’re almost done. I know this has been terribly taxing, right?

Blend until smooth and thick.

Now you’re done. Seriously.

Serve your guests and don’t tell them how easy it was!

Simple Strawberry Soup (Cinderella’s Favorite!)

Simple Strawberry Soup (Cinderella’s Favorite!)

• 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups frozen sliced strawberries in sugar, thawed (it maybe 1/4 cup or so more in the container and that is okay too)

1. Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth and thick. Chill well before serving. Serve cold. Refrigerate any leftovers. Keeps for a few days in the refrigerator.

A smile is the light in the window of your face

that tells people you’re at home.

~Author Unknown

Submitted by Stephanie. Submit your quote by clicking here (thank you Stephanie!)

Since we got done with that so fast, we have some free time and the lovely Katy Rose has graciously provided a short “craft”.

This is her invention, a handy dandy apple holder.

She says the people who read Southern Plate are going to LOVE this and asked me to PLEASE put it on the website.

See how nifty it is? I know sometimes when I’m holding an apple, I find my mind drifting to better and more stylish ways I could be presenting that apple to my mouth. Katy Rose, you’ve saved the day! It’s pretty, too!

Katy says you could make several of them and give then to someone like flowers. I love that idea, Karo!

Comments

YUM looks so good! While at Disney this past November we drove into the Grand Floridian many time on the way to a park and OMG that place is gorgeous.

You look so pretty posing with your strawberry soup and Cinderella;) We got to meet her at the Castle along with the other princesses at breakfast, Abby was so nervous to talk to them she kept asking me “what do I say” :) I guess she thought she would say the wrong thing afterall they are princesses. but the best part of the breakfast had to be the kiss Wyatt received from Belle!! he was SOOO embarrassed

I had to comment on my own comment cause I had to share my funny story. The other day my step MIL and I are talking and she says “oh I saw the yummiest recipe the other day and was gonna send it to you for Abby but then I scrolled down a bit what did I see? well you had already seen this recipe cause your comment was the first comment on there :)” ha ha obviously great minds think alike and she and I like to read the same things! We had talked about your site before and I had shown her your cookbook I got for xmas. so we sat for the next bit going over which recipes had been tried and how yummy they were

2. Raquel says

This looks so yummy, I bet it would be great with some of your Double Chocolate Chip muffins (which I made the other day, and they were so good my toes curled). Tell Katy Rose her apple holder was a great ideal :) It would be great for catching any of those extra apple juices that might try getting away.

3. MelissaM says

Carnival Cruise lines serves this and calls it Strawberry Bisque. I order it everytime, this time 17 year old son also ordered it also. The server brings you an empty bowl with a strawberry in it and pours it from a small chilled carafe – imagine the look on my almost 6 foot son’s face when the waiter first set down that empty bowl.

We now make it at home but because I am even more of a slacker, I just get some Braum’s strawberry ice cream, scoop it out to a bowl and let it melt in the fridge, stir and serve. Gets huge laughs at our house.

I am now on a mission for sugar free strawberry ice cream since I have joined weight watchers.

4. susan says

I ate this at the Floridan in Walt Disney World many years ago and it was awesome. It is the only food that I ate there that I actually remember eating and wanting more. I think about it every time I think about Disney World and have wanted it again for years. Thanks for posting!

I’m beyond excited to try this. Back when I was in elementary school (aka a long time ago), one of my former teachers stopped teaching to open up her own tea room. It didn’t last a terribly long time, but she made a strawberry soup that was to. die. for. I can’t wait!

6. Kim says

I wonder if this could be made with fat free cream? I use the Land of Lakes cream in lots of recipes, and it’s delicious! If you used that and light or non-fat sour cream, this wouldn’t be bad at all. You could also use unsweetened strawberries and TrueVia to cut the sugar.

7. Jessi says

The recipe looks great, I can’t wait to try it.

But I’m most excited about that apple holder that Katy Rose invented!!! What I find when eating an apple is that if I need to use my hand for something for a minute, there’s always this awkward “where do I set this apple” moment. The apple holder will solve this problem perfectly.

Thank you Miss Katy Rose for sharing your ideas! :)

8. Dianna Dailey says

I just have to say that it is so good to see you using Kroger Brands. I have worked for Kroger for 21 years and I am always telling customers that the store brand is just as good as the national brand. Also love your book, bought four, and I also let my customers know about it :)

9. Susan Kelley says

Thanks for this recipe! I can’t wait to try it – it sounds so yummy! I have been going to Disney ever since I was little. I interened there in college and my in-laws work there infact. Yet, I never knew you could just ask for a recipe! There are so many times we’ve eaten there and thought “gosh this is good, wish we could have the recipe!” Like for Canada’s Le Cellier Beer Cheese soup! Imgaine the possibilities you could ask for. Where does one begin? Thanks for the tip and the recipe!!

10. Debbie Knight says

Christy,
    I just love the way you describe your recipes! You crack me up!
    Can’t wait to try the strawberry soup. We love strawberry smoothies so I just know we’ll love the soup too!
    Thank!

11. Denise in Dallas says

Thanks for the recipe; I’ve heard of Strawberry Soup but have never had it. I saw that someone posted Carnival serves something similar. I’m looking forward to trying it on our upcoming cruise. BTW, I hope I don’t sound ignorant, but is this a dessert or is this served as an appetizer?

Katy Rose, thanks for the suggestion! My husband eats an apple at work every day at lunch; I’ll be sure to pass your idea along to him!

Denise in Dallas

12. Elizabeth says

Christy,
    You mentioned you might be bringing us some money saving ideas for WDW.
    I’m going in early Feb. with son and his family. Any help would be appreciated. I will be asking for recipes.

13. Monica says

We loved the strawberry soup when we went to disney and ate at 1900 Park Fair. It was so yummy…can’t wait to surprise the family with this easy recipe…and they will think I slaved over it lol.
    Love your site. Keep the delicious recipes coming.

14. Sandi says

I’m gonna have to watch you girlie…….you’ll be getting all cheffy on me before too long ~LOL~ great recipe and what a beautiful presentation! Love the strawberry garnish ( My chef professor called that a functional garnish) The yogurt is just to round out the texture….but your recipe works great!

15. pam elkin says

First -that sounds delicious. I love strawberries. I am like Denise, from above, is it served as appetizer or dessert? (I don’t get out much!!!)

Katy Rose, You are right -your Mama’s Southern Plate friends just love your wonderful idea. You are so, so smart!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are so, so pretty!!

Pam

16. Rhonda B says

Love that apple holder holder Miss Katy Rose!!

Can’t wait to try the strawberry soup :) We adore Disney. The one thing I got the recipe for when there was the Rice Cream served in Norway (Epcot). I make it all the time! And it has strawberries on top of it! (Recipe is on the web)

17. Doris says

Our daughter will be visiting at Easter and I’ll make this soup for us. I won’t bother telling her the ingredients because she eats WW-style.

Katy Rose, you are the spittin’ image of your Mama; You’re both pretty gals. And I love all your recipes, Christy. When I print one out, I keep it in a special file folder named “Southern Plate” so I can find it very easily/

18. Judy says

I didn’t have the strawberry soup at DW, but I had something like it on a cruise and loved it. They also had a melon soup (canteloupe, honeydew, etc.) and it was great too.

Please tell Katy Rose that I love her apple holder – I have problems with my left hand holding things and the apple holder will help me hold my apple.

19. Sonya says

Funny, I read this recipe yesterday when you posted it, then later in the evening was thumbing through a new cookbook for ideas. One dish included a recipe for simple crème fraiche which was 6 oz sour cream and 2 oz of plain yogurt. I think the bacteria in the yogurt help to preserve it as it ages. If you are using it right away, maybe there’s no advantage. I wonder if I could substitute some of my homemade kefir thickened since that also has microbes…

I think it mainly depends no your mood since it is your kitchen and you get to set the rules :). However, at Disney they don’t have it on the dessert bar. They have it up near the salads so I would lean more towards appetizer. Personally, I served it as a dessert and then we ate the rest as a little treat :) Hope this helps!

20. Jessica Peters says

This is perfect for my Princess’ 2 birthday lunch…we just made it and are letting it chill a little bit while the boys have gone to get the cake and balloons. When we both tasted it we said “mmmmmmm” so excited that I saw this post right before her birthday! Thank you!

21. Tennille says

Love the recipes!! So simple and quick! I have a question about the strawberries. I’m not familiar with the frozen sweetened strawberries. How would I sweeten plain strawberries? …I know, I’m a beginner. =)

Wow, that looks delicious! We ate at 1900 Park Flare and they didn’t have this last year. I will have to make sure we go there again for dinner next year. Or I can make my own how I guess, thanks for sharing.

23. Ruth S says

I made this for my Godsons last summer. They were coming down this weekend and this is the one thing they requested I fix. At age 13 and 11, if you get a request, you know how special it is. Thanks!