The Night I’ll Never Forget

There are so many things in my life that I just know, as they happen, I’ll never forget them. I especially love those pinch myself moments where I think “Wow, how did *I* end up here?”. Last night was one of those for me. Now, keep in mind that I still haven’t digested that I have a book. That I got to tell my stories and share some of the recipes from my family and a publisher put it all together and actually put it up for sale. A part of me is still surprised every morning when I wake up and find comments waiting on me on Southern Plate or the Facebook page. Whenever I get a friend request I’m still wondering “Wow, they really want to friend me? How cool is that.”

With all of this in mind, you cannot imagine how incredibly amazing what I got to do last night was for me.

So what did I do?

A few months back, I received an email from one of our Southern Plate Family Members (Thank you Celeste!) saying that her book club had chosen the Southern Plate book as their book of the month! They were all planning to get together, each make a dish from the book, and enjoy a potluck as they went over what they had read.

I was tickled to death and when I found out that their book club was actually near me (pretty close to my Papa Reed’s farm) so I emailed Celeste back and asked if I could show up and surprise everyone.

She was so gracious in allowing me to do this and I had been looking forward to this for so long. So we waited until most everyone had arrived and then I showed up, toting my own dish to add to their potluck, and got to spend a wonderful evening with the most delightful group of women.

We laughed, we ate, we petted dogs and talked about kids.

It was fabulous and I will never forget having the opportunity to do that.

This is the group. It is amazing whenever Southern Plate Family members get together how much we all have in common. It really is like family. They were so gracious and I have never felt so welcome! (Oh and I realized this morning that I forgot to apologize for crashing their party!)

Everyone made a dish from the cookbook and they all knew the stories that went along with the different dishes, too! There was crunchy beef casserole, deviled eggs, cheesy hash brown casserole, hoe cake, chicken stew, blackberry cobbler, cranberry banana bread, Miss Millie’s cole slaw, and I made fire and ice salad. I gotta tell ya, my recipes have never tasted so good!

I love Jennifer’s kitchen and oh her dishes were just beautiful! I fantasize about being as clean, organized, and decorated as she is!

This is the first book I got to sign. It was so nice of them to let me do this!

We ended up talking and visiting til pretty late.

I’m usually in bed by nine and I think it was getting close to eleven before we all cleared out (poor Jennifer!).

This is Judy and I just before she got ready to go.

This is Miss Linda. I ran into her a few weeks ago at the grocery store and she was sweet enough to say hi to me.

She told me about her book club and I had to pretend I didn’t already know about it!

Note: If you ever see me out, please say hi to me! I dearly love getting to meet you.

Okay, this is Kristi and she said the funniest thing! We were joking about how horrendous my handwriting is (it truly is) and how I should have been a doctor. I’d write in a person’s book and then tell them what it says because I don’t know if it is humanly possible to read my writing anyway.

So I was writing in Kristi’s book and she was watching me and I said “I bet you’re wondering what I’m writing here…” She said “Oh no, I can read it perfectly. Of course, I’m a nurse”. LOL

This is Celeste. She is the one who contacted me and told me about the book club.

She also surprised me with the most amazing card I have ever seen. Check this out:

This is the front. It’s me holding the book!!! How stinking CUTE is that???

I can only imagine how much time went into making that! I’m going to put it up in my kitchen but I have to decide how to display it. I’m open for ideas if anyone has any! I’m thinking maybe some type of glass box so you can see all of it? If you have a suggestion please holler at me in the comments section :)

This is Jennifer. The book club met in her beautiful home and I am having a bit of corelle envy over these beautiful dessert plates she had.

(it was actually a pattern I had not seen before)

This is the dog whose name I missed because I just kept calling it “The Elvis Dog”. I love this dog. I want this dog. If I had of taken a bigger purse I might have tried to smuggle it out with me. As it is, I forgot my dish at Jennifer’s house so I may use that as my cover to go back and bring the little Elvis dog home with me :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know, in my entire life I’d never been to a book club before and now I don’t know why EVERYONE doesn’t have a book club, that was fun! This reminds me of another first in my life.

Until my book came out, I’d never been to a booksigning before either. I remember walking up to the doors of Books A Million in Huntsville, Alabama for my very first book signing and saying to my friend Jyl “Have you ever been to a book signing before?”

Jyl said “Naw, have you?

I replied “No, reckon how they work?”

Jyl replied as she opened the door “I reckon we’re fixin’ to find out.”

Thank you so much to everyone who allowed me to be a part of your meeting last night. I hope you’ll forgive my enthusiasm, I’m afraid we ended up visiting instead of talking over the book! I will never forget the special memories of getting to be a part of such a great evening and what an honor it is that you all took time out of your wonderfully busy lives to read my book.

Find the book at Amazon.com , Walmart.com, BooksAMillion, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Indiebound, and more!

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Terri go Dawgs says

Hi Christy,
    I can only imagine the surprised looks on their faces and how it took a minute or two to sink in that Christy Jordan, Cookbook Author, was there. It makes me laugh to picture you on the front porch about to go in w/ your heart racing in excitement and anticipation. What great fun for everyone. Glad you went and glad your reader contacted you. Too cool! Love ya…T

2. Shirley says

I’m so happy for you . I just enjoyed reading your post and wish I had been there .
    I can’t get my morning started until I read your post . I have enjoyed your book so much . You have brought so many memories back for me from my Grandmother’s .
    Sending lot’s of hug’s to you and your family.

3. Vickie says

awww…that was so awesome! Glad you had a great time, and Christy our lives aren’t so busy to stop and read ur cookbook or blog! You are so much fun, and you seem to make life a little simpler for everybody who puts ur idea’s and the way u were raised to practice! Sure wish I could have had the chance to meet you, maybe some day! Hope you have an awesome day! :)
    God Bless,
    Vickie Jeter~from Louisiana!

4. Debbie Strum says

I am SO TICKLED for all of you that my eyes got misty reading this post! What a great idea! And I’m so glad you thought to ‘crash’ their party!! Shocked that there was a Corelle dish pattern you hadn’t seen! If you think of it….when you go back to pick the dog…I mean, pick up your dish…take a picture of the dishes! You’ve got my curiosity up! LOL I know your surprise appearance was a thrill for them!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Christy!!

• Debbie Strum says

Oh!!!! And that card that Celeste made for you!!!! If I’m not mistaken she is in the card-making business!! She is SO talented!!! I hope someone can give you a great idea on how to diplay that aDORable card!!!

5. Jennifer K. says

We all had a wonderful time last night Christy! And we loved your enthusiasm and great stories! It was an honor to have you come to our meeting and it will definitely be a book club meeting that we will always remember. You are welcome to come anytime!

6. Judy says

We all had a wonderful time at Book Club! Christy is so much fun! She has such a gift for telling a story and for making you feel a part of her life! Her “surprise” was a fantastic pick-me-up for the winter doldrums I had been in! We laughed and, of course, the potluck meal was delicious! Thanks, Christy!

7. Krissy M. says

This is so cool. I know Celeste and Jennifer. They are my scrapbooking/Tastefully Simple buddies. I am so jealous of the fabulous meeting and dinner that y’all had last night. That is so awesome! Looks like a wonderful time. Have a great weekend. I am loving Southern Plate! It’s my new favorite daily must! Hugs! :)

8. Rhonda M. says

Christy that was so great of you to actually show up at their book club. I bet Paula wouldn’t even think about doing that!?!?! Wish I could have been there!
    My daughter gave me your book today for my B’day! Happy,happy,joy,joy!!!!!!

9. Barbara says

What a great evening for all of you! I’ve seen you on tv, Christy, and you just sparkle, and you are soooo genuine. I’m sure these ladies had so much fun with you as their guest, even if you did crash, it was a wonderful surprise for them. Thank you for posting the story for us all to share that with you all! Love your cookin’, too! Keep up the good work!
    Barb in Az.

10. Teri says

This was just a cool thing for you to do for your fans. Good Job!!!

And by the way, I am in a book club too and I can tell you, we always meet for hours upon hours and the book is really the hub that gets us together. So I am sure they did not mind that you stopped them from “discussing” it that night.

11. Aimee says

I dont know what it is, the sincerity (sp), the enthusiasm, the joy – but posts like this that you do make me all teary. I could feel the excitement and having briefly met you – know that they had to have just loved you being there. You are a good person Christy Jordan!

12. Charlene Beck says

I am envious; okay, I admit it. I’m pea green over such a fantastic book club meeting. No need to discuss the book as everyone talked with you and knew the recipes stories and all. I’m very happy for you but wishing I could have been a fly on the wall last night (I’d have gotten swatted for sure as I could not stay away from the food.)

13. Celeste says

Christy-
    It was our pleasure to have you at our book club! It was getting kind of hard to keep your visit a secret for so long. We had so much fun! It really adds to the evening when the author of our chosen books shows up. We all loved meeting you and will cherish our evening forever. Of course, since we’re all scrapbookers, that means you’ll be featured in our books.
    God Bless you and yours-
    Celeste

14. Kristi J. says

Bless your heart, Christy….it was such fun to meet you and have you join us! Please come back again, soon. What a wonderful gift you have, thank you for sharing yourself and your family so generously. :-)

15. Sandra C in Moulton, AL says

I loved this great surprise. My suggestion would be to have a glass or plexiglass shadow box. You want to be able to see all of the card. You may have to go to a glass store. ( Unless Ricky is a handyman.)
    Celeste, you are very talented.

16. Annette says

Christy,
    Just had a thought about displaying your card? How about a cloche or bell jar atop a cake stand or platter? They are available at Homegoods, Hobby Lobby, Walmart etc. I think it would be perfect for a kitchen!
    Annette

17. Celeste says

Thank you all for the lovely comments on the card. I cannot take credit for the design. I did tweak the original version with permission from Lynn Pratt so that I could make one especially with Christy in mind. I was pleased with the results and am flattered that Christy wants to display it!

18. Allyson says

What fun y’all had! My cousin lives in Madison, AL and has belonged to a book club for several years now. In addition to being a voracious reader, she is also a marvelous cook. I will suggest to her your book, Christy, when it’s her turn to host. I grew up in Decatur and next time I visit Huntsville (live in Rome, GA.), hope I run into while shopping. And I have your Cheesy Chicken and Rice in my crockpot cooking as we speak.

19. Mandy Weller says

Love this story….how humble n such a blessing u are to the
    media/ blogging/ kitchen cookin/ book world!!!
    I Have your new book and I can’t tell u hoe resourceful it’s been
    for my family and I. Such good down home style meals that
    are easy to make, easy on the ol’ wallet & Best of all
    SUPER Yummy!!! I’m really truly a Fan of all your wonderful
    home cooking, diy projects, tips, and heart felt true life family
    life stories you tell so darn yell. I simply can’t tell
    how much my family & I enjoy all your blog & book offer.
    keep on doing what u do best….You truly inspire so many with
    your work. God bless you & you’re wonderful family.
    Have a great weekend :)