Springtime Lemon Recipes- and a Birthday Wish we won’t forget!

Jyl’s Favorite

Lemon Meringue Pie With Cookie Crumb Crust

Some people in this world take care of others. Chances are, you’re one of those people. The ones who step up to the plate when things need doing. When your Mother gets sick, when someone gets hurt and needs help around the house, when folks fall on hard times and need just a little help getting by. There is always someone who, despite their overly crowded schedule and already tight finances, can manage to fit in just a little more to help someone else or tighten their own budget just a little extra in order to fit in a way to help others.

My friend Jyl is one of those people. She takes care of others. She’s always been like that and I know she’ll still be the same way fifty years from now. Last year around this time she stepped up to the plate when there was a medical scare in her family. Jyl took care of things and people as needed and was grateful to be able to do it.

In the midst of that, when her birthday was forgotten in the shuffle, she didn’t complain. In fact, I doubt folks who forgot her birthday last year realize to this day that they did. But knowing that you’re probably one of those people just like Jyl, I thought you might like to join me in wishing her an even Happier Birthday today.

In honor of her birthday I wanted to showcase Jyl’s favorite dessert, Lemon Meringue Pie, along with a few other lemon favorites on Southern Plate. I’d love it if you’d join me in wishing Jyl a Happy Birthday, by clicking here to visit her blog and leave a comment. I know it will mean the world to her.

You can also make her favorite lemon pie or any of the lemon recipes listed here. I’m sure Jyl would approve!

Lemon Blossoms

Like little bits of sunshine!

Lemon Bars

Old Fashioned Favorite in a butter crust

Lemon Chess Pie

I first had this as a girl and have loved it all my life.

Be sure and click here to wish Jyl a Happy Birthday! Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~

I would rather be Small and Shine, than be Great and cast a Shadow

Submitted by Patricia. Submit your quote by clicking here.

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. KarlaC says

Awesome. Happy Birthday Jyl! Now Christy…if you could work on getting the Cracker Barrel Lemon Icebox Pie recipe “figgered” out I truly would appreciate it! I can’t stand that it only coes around once a year!

I’m afraid I won’t be able to help ya with this one but I have a really good reason! After having the staff of Southern Living make a total of five phone calls to me to tell me that this was the best lemon meringue pie they ever tasted, I’m gonna have to stick with this recipe! lol I’ve never had Cracker Barrels pie but I can’t tell you what a proud moment that was for me, getting praise from Southern Living!

2. Darby says

Oh, those lemon bars look divine! I need to make some of those!
    But alas, I have to make a key lime pie today. We went to our local rib shack lastnight and for dessert my daughter ordered key lime pie. It’s her favorite pie. This one, however, was lacking flavor. When the waitress asked her how it was she said “Um, I ordered key lime pie.” !!! She thought they brought her the wrong kind! So…I have promised her that I will make her a proper key lime pie today. Maybe I’ll do lemon bars over the weekend. :)

3. Susan Crane says

I love lemon! It is probably my most favorite flavor in the world. I have a lemon tree in the yard that habitually puts off 100+ lemons every year. I have bags of frozen lemon ice cubes in the freezer whenever I need it. Now I have more recipes to use them in. Thank you so much.

4. Debi says

Wishing Jyl a Very Happy Birthday! May your special day be as Beautiful as You!

P.S. I think you need the day off….. : )

@ Christy….I’m going to be making Lemon Desserts. Thank you! It seems you always know just want I’m in the mood for. : )

5. Monica says

YUM my favorite flavor in so many ways! I am so making that pie today and the cookies too if I have enough powdered sugar. This is just the encouragement I needed to get my tail in motion today.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY JYL!

6. Angela says

I sent Jyl a b’day wish and told her it’s my son, Matthew and my mama’s b’day too! Hope she will have a wonderful day. If you have anything to do with it, it will be!
    All the lemon desserts look great and wish I could have some of all of them to eat on all day!
    Don’t know if you saw this that I posted the other day, but it seems like a “Christy saying”: “There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrate.” Robert Brault
    Have a wonderful day sweet Christy!

7. michelle says

Happy happy birthday, Jyl!! I hope that you have a wonderful day, and know how much you are appreciated and loved by those around you!
    And Christie- you are a mind reader! I decided last night that we would be having something lemony for dessert after Easter dinner, and ~voila~ here are some very yummy ideas! Thanks, girl! To me, lemon desserts are very sunshiney and just make ya feel a bit happier when you eat them.

8. Cynthia says

Well….hmmmm. I thought for sure I was going to be making your bananna pudding on Easter morning BUT now I think I’m going to be changing to the pie! Or, call me crazy, maybe BOTH!

9. Shane C says

Clears throat….everyone sing along! “Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jyl, Happy Birthday to you!”.

Hope you have a fabtabulous Birthday! :D

Christy, those pies look absolutely yummy! I haven’t made a lemon meringue pie In ages! I plan on making this one really soon! I just hope I don’t end up eating It all! lol

Hello, Ummmm…I love, love lemon anything , even fresh lemons by themselves.

Those lemon bars look yummy and next on my ever-growing print-out of recipes to try are the lemon blossoms.

I stopped by to visit Jyl and spring a b’day wish.

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! Jyl

11. Patti Keil says

Happy Birthday to Jyl!! Not only is this Jyl’s, favorite pie, it’s mine as well. I LOVE all things LEMON! I posted a comment on the page with the recipe that this is the pie that my mother and grandmother would always make for me when I was sick! (I have to make it for myself these days!). Lemon Bars are always popular at our house and at my office (I could score some points with my Boss with these!). And I’m sure my sister-in-law will love the Lemon Blossom Cookies; I think I’ll make them for Easter!! Thanks for all the great recipes!

12. Su says

I have had lemon meringue pie on two occasions in my life. The first being when I was in hospital after having my appendix removed. I was brought two small individual pies for my afternoon tea (let me tell you, the hospital stay was like staying in a hotel!) and the second occasion was last weekend. My friend hosted a dinner party at her house, we all brought a dish each and one friend brought the most beautiful pie I ever saw that was made by someone I actually knew! Hahaha…not some pie in a bakery or store, but actually homemade. I was in awe of it. The soft peaks of the meringue and the pie shell, everything.

Although my lemon pie experience is limited, I am a HUGE fan of lemon bars. Oh so delicious, especially those which are slightly different to your and are more a hard biscuit base with the tangy frosting sprinkled with shreds of coconut. Bliss!!!!