Grandmama’s Orange Supreme Cake

Don’t miss a single post – Subscribe by e-mail (It’s FREE!)

This is one of my Grandmother Lucy’s favorite cakes so she often has it sitting under a dome on her counter whenever folks come to visit. It is very moist and flavorful, just the right thing for a hot summer’s day or a picnic.

Grandmama was a career woman, working as a secretary for Morton Thiokol where she met my beloved Grandaddy (the one I talk about at the start of the last chapter of my cookbook). For extra income she got up early each morning and  made a big batch of sausage biscuits, which she sold from her desk for fifty cents each. She did this for as long as I can remember and the men who worked there filed in every day to get them. Her biscuit money was used for all sorts of things, but more often than not it went to help out various folks who might need “a little something extra”. Grandmama says “I made a whole lot of money through the years with those biscuits…”

Most of her food was given away though, and her aluminum cake carrier made countless trips to work toting this Orange Supreme cake. If you’ve never had it before, you’re in for a treat. If you have had it before, you’re probably making out your grocery list now ~grins~. You won’t be disappointed!

You’ll need: Orange Supreme Cake Mix*, Apricot Nectar* (I couldn’t find it so I am using Mango Nectar), Oil, Sugar, and 4 eggs.

*Duncan Hines has an entire line of supreme cake mixes but not all grocery stores carry them. I was not able to find this at Wal Mart but did find it at Krogers.

*Nectar is commonly found on the fruit juice aisle.

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix up with an electric mixer until well combined and smooth.

Using cooking spray, grease a bundt pan. If you have a bundt pan that tends to stick, you might want to grease and flour it instead.

This bundt pan is my Mother’s Day gift. I baked with one like it when I cooked with Paula Deen and thought I’d get one for myself as a little souvenir.

It really releases cakes like a charm! Here is a link in case you’d like to get one for yourself. I just love the blue color :)

Paula Deen Stoneware Sunflower Fluted Mold, Aqua

There is a funny story about me, Paula Deen, and this dish. I loved the dish the moment I saw it and during a break in filming I asked Paula where she got it. She replied “Oh, it’s mine.” I thought that was an odd answer. I mean, of course it was hers, we were in her kitchen. I didn’t realize until the next day that she meant it was from her line! ~snickers~

Pour your batter into the bundt pan.

Of course, this is called a “fluted mold” because the term “bundt pan” is trademarked but I’m just gonna call it a bundt pan because I feel like walking on the wild side today.

Bake at 325 for one hour. Allow to cool ten minutes in pan before turning out to cool completely.

Now, if you want we can make a glaze for it.

Glazes are super simple to make so lets just whip up a confectioner’s sugar glaze real quick because it will make our final picture prettier.

Place about a cup of confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Add in two tablespoons of softened butter (or margarine)

Add in a tablespoon of milk.

Cut all of that together with a fork and add a weeeee bit more milk.

Add the milk just a tablespoon or so at a time because we want this to be the consistency of glue and it can get too thin really fast.

No worries though, if it gets too thin, just add more confectioner’s sugar.

You should also add a teaspoon of vanilla or butter flavoring too, but I don’t have a photo of that so use your imagination :)

This is the consistency I want. It is like school glue and will go over the cake really well. Drizzle that over your cooled cake.

And serve to those you love :)

Grandmama’s Orange Supreme Cake

Grandmama’s Orange Supreme Cake

• 1 Box Orange Supreme Cake Mix
  • 1 Cup Apricot Nectar*
  • 1/4 Cup Oil
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 4 Eggs

1. Place all ingredients into large mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer until thoroughly combined and smooth. Pour into greased bundt pan. Bake at 325 for one hour. Allow to cool ten minutes in pan and then turn out. Let cool completely. Glaze, if desired.
  2. *I couldn't find apricot nectar so I used mango nectar. If you see Strawberry Banana Nectar, try getting the Strawberry Supreme cake mix for another twist!

Each morning at my son’s school, after the Pledge of Alligance (which includes “One nation under God” : ) ), the children say the school promise which is:

I promise to make all my actions, positive actions. Failure is not an option.

Submitted by Debi. Submit your quote by clicking here.

Comments

My great-grandmother used to make a similar cake. She called it Apricot Nectar Cake. I’m pretty sure she used a lemon cake mix as the base. She died in 1999, and a couple years ago my sister and I got to wanting some of her apricot nectar cake, so we got the recipe from our mom. We shopped around and finally found apricot nectar. We bought several cans to keep them in our pantries…you know, just in case. ;)

• Sharon says

Do you have a Family Fare,a Meijer’s, Walmart around? Sometimes you have to go to different stores to find what you want when it comes to Brand Names…Duncan Hines is a National Brand so you should be able to find it somewhere in your area…Duncan Hines is the only cake mix I’ll use…if your store carries this brand but not the flavor, go to the manager and ask for it…or check with the guy that orders for the store…or go to your Kroger site on line and ask them why your store doesn’t carry that flavor….good luck!

2. Phyllis MaDan says

Canned Nectar is also found on the Hispanic food aisle in a lot of grocery stores. Like a previous review I’ve made with lemon cake mix and apricot nectar so I’m heading out to locate the orange supreme mix and apricot nectar.

3. Sharon says

I make a simular cake like this that I learned years ago when I worked at a small bakery. I substituted Orange Juice for my liquid and added 2 teaspoons of Orange Extract to the cake mix (I only use Duncan Hines and I make mine in loaf pans….but when I saw your Ceramic Fluted Pan…I forgot the recipe and said ” I wonder where she found that…I love it!”…then to my surprise you gave me my answer…maybe I can get someone to give me one for mother’s day too, since it’s around the corner!….anyway, for the glazing I made mine a little differently, instead of butter, I used a couple of teaspoons of Orange Extract, then brushed a good coat of it on the cake letting it soak in, before giving it another coat…any leftover glaze was put in a dish for those with a real sweettooth to drizzle over their servings…Really good and yummy!

Christy, my grandmother made this cake for us also, but she made a syrup of sugar, water, and orange extract. While the cake was still hot, in the pan, she poured this over the cake. This cake was so moist. She also used strawberry cake mix and strawberry extract. Love, love those memories!

5. Stephanie says

Christy, this sounds like a yummy warm weather cake, I will try it soon. Did your Grandmama’s sausage biscuits have sausage in the biscuit or did she split the biscuit and put a sausage patty in the middle, I’d love a recipe for a biscuit with sausage mixed in the biscuit.

• Jeanette says

Stephanie,

When I make sausage biscuits with the sausage mixed in here is how I do it: Cook sausage and drain on paper towel, make biscuit dough and then add sausage. Proceed as you usually do to form biscuits. Hope this helps.

6. Darrelyn Jean Cowan says

I love this story! I have my Grandma’s aluminum cake carrier. Its priceless to me! I am inspired to make this cake and put it in there. I can even give a few slices away to some folks. ; )

7. Kim Saint says

I’ve got to try this one! My Maw-Maw sold butter to the local grocery store & out of her kitchen. This was back in the day before so many regulations. . During the summer, she’d watch me while my Momma helped in the field. I was about 8 or 9 when she stopped churning. She made the most delicious creamy butter and put it in pretty butter molds. She passed away when I was 17, she was 87.

8. Texas baker says

So this was the reason I purchased cans of apricot nector!! I had three cans in the pantry, and then forgot about them — until they EXPLODED — truly the biggest stickiest mess i have ever had to clean – and i had three boys! I have a large walk in pantry with shelves floor to ceiling on both sides – and let me tell you – that nectar exploded up and down the back walls, all over everything else in the pantry — everything had to come out, be washed, the wire shelving had to be scrubbed — the cake may be delicious – but next time i buy apricot nectar i am going to bake the cake as soon as i get home!! just saying – be warned, this stuff is stickier than anything you’ve ever dealt with so don’t put it on a shelf and forget about it!!

9. Melanie says

Tried this today and it is wonderful. Kind of reminds me of a push-up ice cream. My husband loved it and my picky 16 year old daughter was amazed. So far, everything that I have tried from your books we have loved. Thanks for all of your hard work. Have a blessed weekend.

10. Ann Hardigree says

I first heard of :Christy and Come Home to Supper on Qvc, which I always watch.
    I have fallen in love will the Southern Plate website. I have given Come To Supper as gifts and ordered Christys first cookbook for my collection. I grew up in Georgia and am enjoying all the recipes I have tried. THANK YOU CHRISTY!!!