6 Make Ahead Summer Cakes

Summertime and the Grilling is easy! With so many of us cooking out, visiting friends, and hosting get togethers, a cool summer cake that can be made well ahead of time is great to have on hand for a fuss free and refreshing dessert! Today I’m bringing you a compilation of some great refrigerator cakes – many that can be made two or three days ahead of time!

Check out all of the great links below by clicking on the names and tell me what you’re cooking up this weekend in the comments section below!

Miss Mary Anne’s Twinkie Cake

Chocolate Sundae Cake

For more of my favorite Refrigerator Cakes, be sure and check out:

Elvis Presley Cake

Butterfinger Cake

Daddy’s Coconut Cake

Mandarin Orange Cake

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.

~Robert Schuller

Submitted by Amy. Submit your quote by clicking here.

Got a question that needs a quick answer? Need help or some suggestions for an upcoming meal? Wanna share a victory in your life, or just check in and chat about your day?

Join us all on the Front Porch!

Southern Plate’s Front Porch Forums are where we all congregate to sit a spell and chat a bit with each other. We share recipes, stories, and so much more. We already have over 18,000 posts so there is always a conversation to join in. Membership is free! Just click here and register in the top right corner. All memberships are manually approved (it may take a few hours for yours to become active), so register now to be able to chat with us anytime you like!

I had a great live chat with folks over at the Front Porch last night and we’d love to have you at the next one.

Click here to visit the Front Porch.

Note: Anyone can read the forums but in order to respond you must register first.

Comments

1. sheila says

Oh my I’m finally first. Did the mandarin orange cake for a VBS cookout last weekend and all was great as usual with your recipes. Thank you again for everything you do for us.

2. Brenda Rumfola says

I made the chocolate sundae cake for Father’s Day for my Sunday School class last week and it was a huge hit! Folks were licking their plates and begging for the recipe! LOL. Thanks Christy for another great recipe!

3. Joyce Kaiser says

Can’t wait to try the Twinkie Cake! I am wondering if you could use Hostess Ding Dongs for a chocolate version also? Although, it would not fit in the pan the same. Thanks Christy for all that you do. You are now an honorary member of my family now…my daughter says I talk about you and your recipes so much she is going to start calling you “Aunt Christy”.

4. Debi says

OMGoodness! I don’t know where to begin. Which one should I fix first?
    I made a Sour Cream Pound Cake yesterday but thinking I Really need to make one of these too. : ) My boys told me I have to make the Chocolate Sundae Cake. : D

5. Ruby says

I am going to make the Twinkie cake today. My husband says I am sabotaging his diet. LOL he loves everything I make from your recipes. Thank you for sharing! and thanks to Miss Mary Anne too!!!!!

6. Rebecca P says

Can’t wait to make the Butterfinger Cake. I am heading out to the store to get the ingredients and make it today! Hubby has been out of town on business for a month and gets home tomorrow morning. He will be thrilled to have this for his “welcome home” cake.

Thank you!

7. Marianne says

Not sure what dessert yet, so many to choose from!! But will be making low and slow beef brisket, vinegar based slaw and BBQ beans of some type. On Sunday, I”m fixing green beans fresh from my garden, squash also from my garden, have a request for Hoe Cake, but I prefer cornbread! I’m sure I’ll be scanning a lot of your recipes both online and in the cookbook rarely a meal goes by that something from one or the other isn’t on my table!! Thank you for all that you do!!!

8. Mary R. says

Your brother has made a lunchroom size butterfinger cake for my daughter for her last two birthdays. I just put one in the frig! After getting your update in my email today, I went to the store and bought the stuff for the cake and the pizza rolls. My daughter had a pizza roll for lunch and declared it delicious! Now I am anxiously awaiting the cooling of the cake! Love your blog and your fabulous recipes!

Thanks so much for posting these recipes even if they are of the DEVIL!! That is what my friends and I call sinful cakes!!lol….I will be trying that twinkie cake. Miss Mary Ann looks like someone who knows her way around a kitchen!!!

10. Mary In Minnesota says

After reading today’s issue of Southern Plate… my mouth is drooling with the cake recipes!… but back to the issue… after reading today’s issue, I just HAD to come here and find the comment from anonymous… if your looking for it too, you have to click on the “older” comments.

I won’t condemn anonymous for his/her comments, as he/she was just trying to put others onto a healthier way of eating. Now why would I say that? Well, when I first signed up for Southern Plate, I had some major medical issues, but none involving cholesterol or heart problems or diabetes. But back in February, I was diagnosed with diabetes. For those of you who don’t really know this disease, it’s one of the WORST FRICKIN THINGS TO GET. You have to not only stab yourself for blood up to 5+ times a day to test your glucose (sugar) levels, but you have to change your whole way of eating. Meaning… everything you love to eat is either off your menu list or you can have it, but in the tiniest teeniest portion, like only being able to have 1/2 a serving of a SMALL French fry, or 1/2 of a hamburger bun, etc. Who can eat 1/2 of a SMALL ORDER OF FRIES? I can’t, so now I just don’t have them. Your doctor normally sends you to a NUTRITIONIST AND A DIABETIC NURSE, where you are then instructed on how to EAT HEALTH SO AS NOT TO HAVE SOME OF YOUR LIMBS CUT OFF OR DIE.

I don’t want any limbs cut off and I just had my 1st grandchild, so I don’t want to die either… so now I watch every morsel put into my mouth. Why did I become diabetic? It could be a “gene” thing passed on from family, but my personal belief is that it is because I ate anything I wanted to eat at any time. I put on 45 pounds doing that over a 4 year period. But now that I’ve lost weight by watching what I eat, my blood sugar levels are becoming more normal. Will I ever be free of diabetes? NO! ONCE A DIABETIC, ALWAYS A DIABETIC.

So even though I really shouldn’t eat most of what is published here, I can eat it but in the smallest of small portions. I have learned PORTION CONTROL. Instead of pigging out & eating an entire dessert in 2 – 3 days, I now make that dessert last me a week or more.

So as to anonymous, I agree, yet disagree, but none of us should condemn he/she. My diabetes has shown me that. I wish no ill health concerns on any one. If your healthy now but eat like a pig, or don’t care about what your eating, you’ll pay for it in the end. The question is, IS IT WORTH IT? Enjoy the recipes here, BUT IN MODERATION! And for your children’s sake, keep all of this info in mind. No one should wish any health problems on their children, so by teaching yourself and your children how to eat healthy, you will ALL be healthy. (my friends daughter was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes at age 12… she died at age 16 and now I understand what she went through)

POINT: What we eat now can kill us later. Make the recipes here, but substitute some ingredients with healthier stuff, such as I now don’t buy sugar, I buy Splenda which tastes just like sugar but which is so much more expensive, but that’s my fault for giving myself diabetes.

Christy, don’t be mad at me or anonymous for our comments. Maybe anonymous is like me… healthy at first, but ate foods that contributed to something like heart disease or diabetes. I not only subscribe to Southern Plate, but to numerous other food websites, including ones for diabetics that shows us how to convert a recipe such as some here at this website, to healthier versions for us diabetics. But I honestly think you don’t want to hear that. Sorry, no offense is sent your way, but I do see a resentment in your words in your articles for those who make any attempt to mention how un-healthy a recipe of yours maybe. If I didn’t want your newsletters, I’d unsubscribe, but I haven’t, because I’ve learned how to convert your recipes into healthier ones for myself and my family and friends. And honestly, healthier substitutes make the recipe taste just as good. So Southern Plate can not only have delicious recipes, but healthy ones, for those of us who care about our bodies. Going to go slap myself now for posting this… OUCH.

Oh, and I’m going to make the Chocolate Sundae Cake using sugar free chocolate syrup and sugar free Cool Whip and egg beaters for any eggs, and I guarantee you nay sayers that it will taste the same as the original version. By doing that, I will be able to have 2 to 3 servings of it per day, versus no servings of the orignal recipe. That makes me happy. So now let the condemnations begin.

11. Mary says

I have only had your book a few weeks and have already tried at least 10 or more recipes from it! Each one just gets better and better! My Grandson loved making some butter! I have collected recipe books for many, many years and this is by far the best one I have had! Keep them coming…….

12. Patti Kakes says

I made the Butterfinger cake and the Easy Peasy Cherry Cheese Cobbler for a family gathering. They were all inhaled as soon as possible. I made a second cobbler with blueberries, That’s the one that the adults liked best, the kids liked the cherry one and the cake. All in all they disappeared that night.

Thanks for the recipies…they were so easy and delicious!!!

13. Deb S says

Made Miss Mary’s Twinkie cake today….yummy….had several people ask me for recipe….so I send it and the link to SoutherPlate.com. Hubby said it was a keeper recipe too…..

14. Stacy Sue says

I just have to say, I found you on Facebook and THANK GOODNESS I did!! Your recipes are super simple (for the most part) and I love the way you incorporate stories along with each recipe you put on your site. I’ve already made a couple of your recipes and they have been HITS!!! I can’t wait to take the Patriotic Punch Bowl Cake to the 4th of July party this Sunday… I just know they’ll all LOVE IT!! :) Thanks again for sharing your stories and love of food!!