- Southern Plate - http://www.southernplate.com -
Granny’s Chow-Chow ~ From Joyce Bacon
Posted By Christy Jordan On June 20, 2011 @ 8:51 am In Guests,Side Dishes | 74 Comments
- 12 medium onions (4 cups)
- 1 medium head of cabbage (4 cups)
- 10 green tomatoes (4 cups)
- 12 green bell peppers
- 6 sweet red bell peppers
- ½ cup coarse salt
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 2 T mustard seed
- 1 T celery seed
- 1 ½ tsp. turmeric
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Chop vegetables finely using food processor or grinder. Place chopped vegetables in porcelain or glass container; sprinkle with the salt; cover and let stand overnight.
- Place vegetables in large colander and rinse very well under cold running water. (divide into smaller batches if necessary)
- Drain thoroughly and place in large stockpot. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chopped vegetables. Heat to boiling and then boil 4 minutes. Ladle into clean pint jars which have been sterilized in boiling water. Seal with sterilized lids according to manufacturers instructions. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes approx. 8 pints.
Article printed from Southern Plate: http://www.southernplate.com
URL to article: http://www.southernplate.com/2011/06/grannys-chow-chow-from-joyce-bacon.html
Click here to print.
Copyright © Christy Jordan, Southern Plate 2010. All rights reserved.