The Meals I Crave Most When I’m Away From Home

I have a little bit of travel coming up over the next two weeks for Southern Living. I’ll be doing television appearances in Atlanta, GA and Houston, TX. The Atlanta segment will be filmed this week and air this Saturday during the 9:00 AM hour on WXIA and then I’ll be live on Great Day Houston during the 9:00 hour on October 25th. I’m so looking forward both of these and hope you’ll be able to tune in if you’re in the area.

As I get ready for a wee bit of travel (The Atlanta filming will only have me away from home seven hours!) I can’t help but think about last year on my book tour and all of that time away from home. Folks often ask me what my favorite meal is and so today I thought I’d show you the things I crave when I’m away from home. You’ll find I’m really a simple gal :)

#1.Spaghetti. I LOVE Spaghetti and you just can’t get anything like spaghetti at home when you’re on the road. Everyone wants to dress it up or put some odd meat in it. I just want plain old spaghetti with ground beef. This is the meal I make most on those days I’m home in time for supper.

#2.Chicken Planks, Meme’s Mashed Potatoes, and Fried Corn. Okay so when I’m on a book tour, the meal I am thinking about most is the one featured on the bottom right of my book cover, so it only stands to reason that it is the one I am wanting, after spaghetti, of course!

#3.Grandmama’s Fruit Salad – I could eat this every single day for the rest of my life and still not have enough.

So there you have it, my top three things I like to make when I get home from traveling.

I’ve gotten to eat at some pretty nice restaurants over the past few years but I gotta tell ya, I’ve yet to eat a restaurant meal that could hold a candle to anything cooked at home.

Your kitchen beats out any five star restaurant hands down – and the company surely can’t be beat.

For more recipes, hop on over to the Southernplate.com index where I’ve got over 500 recipes, with step by step photos, too!

I’ll be posting links to videos on my television appearances on our Facebook Family Page so be sure and join me. I tend to hang out there throughout the day posting recipe links, quotes or sayings that inspire me, and randomness from my day, so be sure and “Like” our Facebook page if you’d like to visit a little more!

Talk to you soon! I’ve got a brand new recipe I’ll be posting later in the week!

What is your favorite meal at home?

Tell me in the comments below!

“I am aware that I am less than some people prefer me to be,

but most people are unaware that I am so much more than what they see.”

– Douglas Pagels

I dearly love this quote. Thank you, Jenny, for submitting it. Everyone is welcome to submit their quote to our page as well. Anything that you find uplifting or inspiring. Please click here.

Comments

1. Robin Osborn says

My mama makes some good smothered chicken and gravy with rice, that is what I miss away from home. Pretty much anything with rice and gravy, hard to keep south Louisiana girls away from that!

2. Jamie says

When I’m away from home, I miss bacon, eggs, homemade biscuits, and my favorite fresh brewed coffee the most! I have been to many places across the US for breakfast, but you can’t beat a southern homemade breakfast! Especially the biscuits and gravy!

3. joan milburn says

Oh my!!! How I love all our Southern comforts…pot roast,chicken and dumplings,
    meatloaf and mashed potatoes, fried chicken, mac and cheese…the classics!! But when this Texas girl was in Minneapolis for school for 4 years, I gotta tell you, I dreamed about good ole Tex Mex…Cheese enchiladas oozing with cheese and chili, QUESO (food of the gods!), rice and refried beans, chips and HOT sauce…When I came home for a visit, we would always go straight from the airport to El Fenix for a big fix of all the fixins…and of course, end with pralines and sopapillas with honey!!! WOW, I want a taco NOW!!!!!!

4. Buffy (Southern lady in WNY) says

I miss my aunt’s banana pudding, sausage gravy, and cornbread patties w/ real butter and Louisiana hot sauce. I also miss going into a restaurant ordering a meal and being asked “ya want cornbread or rolls with that.” LOL

5. Kathy C says

1. Corned Beef and Cabbage …the way my dad used to make it. Throw out the packet of pickling spices …don’t salt the water. Boil the beef for approx 4 hours, add potatoes and cabbage during last hour …serve with rye bread. That’s it. Nothing else, besides butter for the bread and potatoes. Simple. Delicious. 2. Aunt Margaret’s chicken …baked in the oven, coated with cornflake crumbs. 3. Spaghetti with ground beef, plus a can of mushrooms thrown in. Yum.

• Buffy (Southern lady in WNY) says

Rachel, I totally agree. I moved from KY to Buffalo two years ago and haven’t had a decent glass of sweet tea outside my own kitchen in this area. My husband thought he had created fire when I taught him how to make Sun Tea in mason jars.
      I will say, my husband and I drive down to Erie, PA every couple months to get away. They have the closest Steak and Shake around with great SWEET TEA! I did the bad thing and drank 4 glasses, *teehee.*

6. Sue says

My favorite meal and what I still crave: Pinto beans, mashed potatoes, kraut & weiners, cornbread, green onions and iced tea!! Just typing this makes me remember the smells from my mom’s kitchen. She is gone now but not my memories of her and this meal. I am a Huntsville AL native, have traveled much & enjoyed many fine restaurant meals but this remains the one I crave!!

7. Gayle says

Christy I was wondering if you have ever had Peas, Potatoes and Dumplings!! OMG, this was my favorite meal my momma made us when our daddy worked the 3-11 shift. He was a meat kind of guy and thought you had to have meat at every meal. Us kids had our favorites that he just would not eat so momma would wait and cook all our favorites on his 3-11 work week!! LOL!! I just made Peas, Potatoes and Dumplings today and did a recipe/photo shoot if you ever want to try it.

8. Gayle says

I tried putting togeather the picture recipe and lord have mercy were those pictures a mess. So here is the recipe without pictures. LOL!!!

You need: 3-4 potatoes,1 small can of evaporated milk, 1/2 stick of butter, biscuit mix, regular milk, salt, pepper, 1-2 cans of sweet peas.

Peel and cut potatoes in a little bigger than bite size pieces, Put them in a pot, add water and let them boil till they are about fork tender. While they are cooking get you a big ole bowl and put some biscuit mix in it. I just add milk until I get a good dough like I was making biscuits. Of course I end up putting too much in and have to add more biscuit mix to get it right. Then I usually take a piece of the dough and roll it out to about 1/8 inch thickness on a floured counter top or cutting board, Your potatoes should be ready. I turn the heat down but you want your water to still be bubbling. Add butter and evaporated milk.Now add your dumplings. I just lay them on top of the bubbly water and take a spoon and push them down. I don’t stir them cause they will fall apart and then they kind of dissolve into the water and you don’t get any dumplings :(. After I add all my dumplings are in I take that flour that is left over from rolling them and throw it in the pot. It will help the broth thicken a little bit. I add some salt and pepper to taste. Now after everything has had a couple minutes to cook (5-10) I turn off the heat and add a can of peas. I usually drain about half the liquid from the can and just pour them in. Then I kind of stir and see if I think that was enough peas. If not, I put in another can. I love this stuff and it is really filling. I usually end up putting half of it in containers and freezing it for quick take to work meals.Hope you enjoy!!

• Janis says

I buy my BBQ sauce from the south, since you cannot GET real southern BBQ sauce up here..it’s all the ketchupy sweet sauce up north. Pulled pork with Foy or Pop’s BBQ from Columbus, GA is the way to go!

Hi Christy, I have been enjoying your recipes for a few months now, and really like most of your recipes, I do wish you had printed the recipe for your Grandma’s Fruit Salad, looks mighty good, so would you please post the recipe? Thanks, and El Fenix is the best in Texas. Hope to hear from you soon.

10. Mandy :)) says

I just found this website yesterday, and man oh man do I love it! All of the recipes listed on this site sound so good, I just want to try them all! When I am away from my stove for any length of time I get to craving chicken pot pie….mmmmmmmmmm haha I just had it last night and I could have it for breakfast this morning LOL

11. Tanya says

Hi
    I’m from coastal NC. I was reading this today and all I could think of was corn fritters. I got right up and made a batch! Thanks for reminding me ;-) My father was a cooking man and made these for me. I don’t know what I miss the most those or my father’s fried flounder and that jar of pepper vinegar that he kept in the closet. You only got some of that if you were special to him. lol!!! OMG!

12. Janis says

What I miss the most about southern cooking is two things: for some reason, Iced tea tastes sooo much better in the south than in the north, even if you use the SAME tea bags and same methods…AND I miss my Grandmother’s white rice. I don’t know what she did to it differently, but her rice is a culinary memory to me…no matter What was served next to it!