Celebration Weekend ~I finished my book!~

I hit “send” on my second book this past Friday, April 13th. While finishing up my book I blogged lightly on Southernplate.com and took the past week completely off from Southern Plate to focus entirely on finishing my book and making my deadline (keeping people posted on the Southern Plate Facebook page as I was able). For book details, see bottom of this post.

My family was thrilled, I was thrilled, and for the first time in a very long time I had a weekend that I could enjoy with no guilt! It was plum near perfect, a lot of fun, and so many more wonderful events to celebrate cropped up within it that I just couldn’t resist sharing it with you.

We began with a celebration dinner at a local restaurant. My husband took off work a little early so we could eat shortly after the kids got out of school and avoid the crowds. We decided on Outback Steakhouse because we couldn’t remember the last time we’d gone there. It was an excellent choice because I had the best steak I’ve had in a restaurant in years and one of the best baked sweet potatoes I’ve ever had. Our waiter was incredibly nice, too. It was a lovely meal from start to finish. Of course, the company helped :).

The boys went home and Katy Rose and I went to Gymboree where we spent my GymBucks buying Katy’s Back to School Clothes for next year. We saved even more by choosing from the lines that had been put on sale and now I have a huge weight off of me for the fall because I won’t have to go to fifty different stores at the end of summer in my usual quest for age appropriate clothing. I felt like I’d just met one deadline and trumped another! WEEEE. Back home to go to bed because my wonderful son, Brady had a big day of his own Saturday, competing in a state Destination Imagination competition.

and the next day…

BRADY’S TEAM WON STATE!!!!!

They are now invited to Global Nationals. Thank goodness that is in Knoxville, Tennessee!

We’re so proud of these incredibly intelligent guys. They are absolutely upstanding kids in every way and truly deserving of this honor.

(Brady is the one holding the plaque)

After that Katy Rose and I took a little road trip to South Pittsburg, Tennessee to meet our friend Jyl for a late lunch at our favorite haunt, Cracker Barrel. It was her birthday and my mother had sent her a party in a box, which included hats. When we arrived we found out Jyl had written on each hat to make it a celebration for each of us! Isn’t that a sweet friend? We meet her for her birthday dinner and she makes it about all of us!

Katy Rose had taken out her starter earrings the night before and replaced them with some brand new ones, so she was pretty proud of her hat.

Here we are in our hats outside of Cracker Barrel.

If you’re ever in South Pittsburg, you have to go to the Lodge Factory store.

Katy Rose is holding a giant inflatable cell phone because…well, She’s Katy Rose and these things happen.

As a matter of fact, I’ll be back here in just two weeks for the National Cornbread Festival! If you’re going to the festival, be sure you check out my Facebook Event page for details the time and location of the Southern Plate meet and greet because I’d love a chance to meet you!

Here is a list of upcoming events I’ll be at.

For specific information, tickets, and times, please see my Facebook Events Page and be sure and RSVP there if you’ll be attending because I sometimes notify people last minute if I get a wild hair and come up with something fun for us to do!

Alabama Book Festival – April 21st. I’ll be speaking and signing books at a specific time and will post the time on the Facebook Events page by Wednesday of this week.

Great Day Houston, Live Appearance – Houston Texas, April 24th – free tickets available if you contact them soon, details on my Facebook events page.

National Cornbread Festival – April 28th. Special meet and greet time for Southern Plate Family. See Facebook page for details and be sure and RSVP

Paula Deen Best Dishes Appearance – April 29th, Food Network. Check your guide for times. This is a re-airing of the episode we filmed last year.

I don’t aspire to travel much because my heart is at home, so if I’m coming near you and we have a chance to meet each other, I’d love to see you when we have the opportunity.

Back to my weekend :)

It’s a long drive home from South Pittsburg, so Karo and I stopped by the wal mart in Scottsboro, Alabama to buy some flowers and plants for our gardening on Sunday. By the time we got home it was almost bed time and we gladly headed off.

After church Sunday, I put some chicken into my electric smoker. Doesn’t this look good? I use an Applewood Rub made by McCormick’s that I just pick up at the grocery store, and smoke with with soaked hickory chips.

We’d invited our friend who is an expert at all things that bloom or sprout for Sunday dinner and to help us with Katy’s first flower garden. Katy Rose has a keen interest in flowers and her Mama is not so much into the whole “Hey! It’s 100+ degrees! Lets go outside and squat down under the sun for an hour or two and weed something…”. I do try to find ways to encourage my kids when I see they are really into something though, so I thought letting her have her own flower garden would help encourage her and I wanted her to have a pro help her put it in and offer tips.

Here is our smoked chicken, all ready to be gobbled up :)

Tomato Mozzarella Melts

Summer Corn Salad

Katy Rose made this entirely by herself with my supervision (and chopping skills). She had a big interest in cooking this weekend so I just took her in the kitchen with me any time I went in there and let her do as much as she wanted while I talked her through it. She also made brownies and her first pineapple upside down cake.

Butter Stewed Potatoes, one of Ricky’s favorite way to eat taters :)

And some simple rustic bread

This is me posing with our dinner. I had been working longer than usual hours and the ironic thing about writing a cookbook is how little time I have to cook when I’m doing it, so I got to enjoy making a meal for the first time in a few weeks.

Oh, just so you know, I haven’t sprouted dog legs. That is Zoey, and this photo shows why she’s earned the nickname “Mama’s Shadow” in this house.

After eating we set out to weed the gardens with family friends Peggy and Alexa.

I set these up as vegetable gardens but as things have gotten busier for me I’ve cut back my vegetative ambitions. So this year I decided to plant one small garden of tomatoes and give one to Katy Rose for her own flower garden.

Hint: If it’s ever time to weed a garden and you have friends who just love doing that sort of thing, every now and then tell them you want to take a picture and run into the house to get the camera, then you can spend at least five minutes on the porch drinking iced tea and resting from the weeding a bit, as long as you click your camera every now and then.

She did a fabulous job choosing flowers and planting them just where she wanted them.

During this time Brady was setting up his own server for some network where he and some of his close friends can build some virtual world and not be open to public strangers paying them visits…so he is obviously absent from the gardening endeavors because he’s too busy trying to be the next Steve Jobs. I keep telling him that he needs to be the first Brady Jordan instead :) Eventually, he’ll understand what I’m getting at…

This is Karo posing with her newly planted flower garden in a photo I enhanced using Instagram.

What a beautiful end to a fabulous weekend.

Life is good folks, and if you let it, it gets even better!

~ME

Thank you so much for all of your encouragement as I went about writing my second book. You’re pep talks and kind words on Facebook and Southern Plate keep  a smile in my heart!

Details on my Second book:

It will be out in Spring of 2013 through Workman Publishers. I’m thrilled to be with them because some of my personal favorite cookbooks have been Workman ones. I love their cookbook formulas, layouts, and prices!

What is the book title? I can’t tell you just yet but as soon as I’m able I will definitely share that! It sets the tone for the entire book and I just love it :) I actually named this one myself but didn’t get to do that on my first book.

Does it have stories? I wrote it so yup. You know I can’t just hand you a recipe and leave it at that! :)

Where can I get your first book? My first book is available online through most national booksellers and Amazon.com (best price at Amazon, click here). Many booksellers have copies in their stores, too. Wal Mart and Sam’s Club sold out shortly after the book came out so don’t look in these stores, but you’ll have pretty good luck in a Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, and the like. My best advice if you want a deal is to hit Amazon because it is generally at least ten dollars cheaper there.

Will your book be available for pre-order? Yes! I’ll be sure and tell you as soon as it is, possibly by Christmas.  I wrote this book to be an absolute workhorse in the kitchen and if you enjoy Southern Plate recipes, it is my hope you’ll use this one so much that you wear it out and have to buy another copy! :) My mother proofed it for me and when she was done she called and said “I’m gonna tell you what, if folks can’t find something they wanna cook in that book they just need to go out to eat!”. ~giggles~

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Rebecca Grememr says

Oh my word! What an exciting and incredible Celebration Weekend! I am sure this is a weekend of memories you will cherish forever. I loved reading all about it. Thank you for sharing it! Looking forward to this next book!

2. MaryAl says

Yay Christy, that sounds like a fabulous weekend!! I love your 1st cookbook and use it all the time. I’m very excited for you and us for your next book!!

Sit back and exhale now!! WHEW!!

3. Leigh Ann says

I am so excited for you! I can’t wait to get your new book, I love going through it and finding great receipes and enjoy the stories you put with them:) thanks for sharing your fun weekend and your lovely family :)

4. Elisha says

Happy Birthday Jyl! No wonder Christy loves you so much – you have to be awesome. Only awesome people are born on April 14th :) Trust me, I’m one of them :) Looks like y’all had a wonderful weekend!

5. Fran says

I’ve already almost “used up” your first cookbook so I might need to buy one of those while I’m waiting on your new cookbook. (But I actually have your autograph in the front of mine, so maybe I’ll just struggle on after all. I love signed books, although I can’t imagine what a pain they are to do!) =^..^=

P.S. Will you ever re-print the VERY FIRST cookbook you put out? I think it was a spiral book. Folks have mentioned it on your Front Porch but I didn’t know if it was an actual separate cookbook or one that you made into your “first” cookbook.

• christy says

Hey Fran! I think my mother would kill me if I reprinted the first one, lol. She was the one who mailed them out for me! It’s still just me here with this dog and pony show so adding something else into the mix gets tricky with all I’m juggling I’m afraid.
      BUT, I’m pretty sure just about all of those recipes will be able to be found on this site, in my first published book, and with this new book coming out next year.
      Thank you so much for sticking with me!!!

6. Cindy Lamb says

Congratulations! What an exciting weekend. Looking forward to seeing you in Montgomery next weekend at the AL Book Festival. I just saw on their Facebook page that there is a link to the schedule. It says you are at 1:30.
    See you there!

7. Sandy says

Christy……A HUGE Thank You to your family for sharing you with us. Your writing is Love and Inspiration mixed in with humor and some good eating thrown in. I tip my hat to your Mom for the influence she was on the person you became. I’m looking forward to the new book, but mostly the “fun” we have along the way looking to hear from you day to day.

8. Debbie Strum says

Wonderful to see that you had such a wonderful weekend. I’m sure we will love and cherish your 2nd book as much as the first. Am looking forward to the stories as much as the recipes.!

9. Anita says

I have your first book on my Nook. Looking forward to your next one. A lot of your recipes are for food I grew up on, but didn’t have recipes for. Thank you for bringing back childhood memories.

10. Vikki says

Soooo glad you were finally able to get back to normal, is life can ever be normal with 2 kids. Anyway, looking forward to getting your new book. I have the first one and, when I got it, I sat down and read it cover to cover (oh, I’ve aksi made many of the recipes too : ) Can’t wait to get the new on pre-ordered!!!

11. gale says

I love the writing on the party hats! Never thought of that, what a cool idea! And Katy Rose in all her darling garden attire is adorable. Congrats on all the fun & wonderful things in your life!

12. Norma says

I just love your cookbook, and can’t wait for the next one. I use it all the time, and love the stories you put with every recipe. Thank you so much for taking time to visit and take pictures with my daughter Tara and her family at “that pizza place” a few weeks ago. Just goes to show what a wonderful, down to earth person you are. I had to copy the picture and attach it to the front of your cookbook. Glad you’re back and can relax a little. You always make my day!!

13. Kathryn says

YOU are just adorable! I am so inspired by your stories, love for your sweet family and your amazing recipes! Thank you for sharing yourself with us everyday! I so look forward to reading your posts…can’t wait for the new book! It’s already on my Christmas list to pre-order!!! Have a joy-filled day Christy~

14. Su says

The flowers are absolutely beautiful! That chicken also looks pretty good too!
    Reading that you went to the Outback Steakhouse made me laugh. I think you have more Outback Steakhouses over there than there are here in Australia.

15. Lee in Florida says

I stopped looking at all that good food when I saw that Co’Cola menu board. Now, you went and got me all jealous. You should post a pic of that sometime… I’d love to see the whole thing, and hear it’s story.

16. Kay Steward says

I love reading your stories and seeing how you prepare food because it is so much like I cook BECAUSE it is the way my Mom taught me. I have always used a paring knife to peel everything. I didn’t even own a peeler until way after I got married. My Mom made pies and cakes and bread and only owned for a long time a 1 cup metal measuring cup (which I now have). She is gone now but lives on in the cooking I do and every time I use one of her recipes for my family.

17. Kim says

What a great celebration weekend! It makes me want to travel and socialize and have fun! Heck, this story even made me want to take my little girl shopping for school clothes–but, alas, she isn’t old enough for school yet. I’ve never bought a cookbook, only had them handed down (in my opinion, those are the best ones!), but I’m very definitely going to have to buy yours. Your great recipes remind me enough of those handed down that I’d actually be willing to spend money on them! Wow, that’s a big compliment coming from me. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing the good times.

18. Angela Lewis says

So glad you are done! I’m guessing that today was pretty stress free for ya. Tell Katy Rose that she should come to my house and help me plant some flowers. I really want to plant some and haven’t done it yet. C you soon, I hope!

19. Janel says

Congratulaltions on finishing your book, Christy! There’s not a better place to celebrate than an Outback restaurant. Their steaks and baked sweet potatoes are to die for. You had alot to celebrate about!

20. Pat Powell says

Christy,
    Congratulations on the new book. I cant wait to see it. I ordered several of the 1st one for my 2 daughters & several of my dearest friends. It made wonderful gifts. Now you can take a “small” break before your next big project comes around. You deserve it.

21. Suzanne says

I’m so excited!! Congrats on finishing up your second book! I can’t wait to get my hands on it – All of my dinner staples and husband’s favorite meals are from Southern Plate – either the website or your first book. He gets so excited when he finds out we’re having a “Christy Jordan” meal. :)

22. pam elkin says

Oh, I am so excited!!! Always love to hear about things going on with you and your precious family. I am so excited about your new book. Can’t wait. Congratulations on completing it.

I am not on facebook anymore. I miss your updates there. But can still keep in touch by email.

Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful recipes and family treasures. God bless !

Pam

Thank you for sharing your Celebration Weekend with us. Congratulations on completing the new book and am looking forward to the day when we can pre-order it. I was just thinking about all of the things you have done and all the places that you have been since I started enjoying Southern Plate. You have really made some great accomplishments and can really be proud of them.
    I enjoy all of your stories and all of the glimpses into your family life. May God continue to richly bless you and your beautiful family.

24. Malinda Baggett says

Hey Christy! Love reading your blogs & SO happy about your new book! I’ve yet to get the first one, but I’m going online to get it!

God Bless You,
    Malinda
    From good ole Florence, AL :) GO UNA!!

25. barbara miller says

well, hello Christy. I’m not on facebook any more. people got afraid to use it around here for a while. it’s in the news and everywhere. any way, darlin’, so glad to hear that you finished your second cook book.congradulations! love the photos of you and your sweet family celebratin. also loved you on the today show. watch the video and keep an eye on ann. watch how she and that other woman(cant remember who she is, but they taste the same pie)eat a bite of pie. hahahaha! love ya ;).

26. Shannon says

just found this post and i am SO EXCITED TO KNOW YOU WROTE A SECOND COOKBOOK! i adore the first one and have given away every copy i’ve purchased so i just ordered my FOURTH copy of your first cookbook from Amazon!
    Can’t wait to Pre-order this new one!
    Thank you for all your hard work on the books and the website!

27. Rexann says

My husband and I are both sooo excited for your new cookbook. We have used your first one half to death. We are both native southerners living in the north and the only way to get that good ol homecookin’ is to fix it ourselves. (Your first cookbook even got my husband cooking and for that I owe you an eternal debt of gratitude and possibly my firstborn…at least until he learns to drive – the source of my new gray hairs.) I’ll just sit here impatiently waiting for your new book to come out. Spring isn’t that far away, right? Thank you for real food cookbooks and for pictures of Piggly Wiggly groceries (one of those kid sweet memories for me.)