YAY! It’s time for the Annual Cast Iron Issue of Taste of the South Magazine! This is one of my FAVORITE issues of the
magazine because it is dedicated to our beloved heritage cookware and filled to the brim with recipes using our beloved heritage cookware. Top that off with lots of stories from notable folks about their cast iron memories from days gone by, and you have an instant classic.
More special to me, though, is that this year I had an opportunity to share the story behind my Grandmama’s tiny cast iron skillets that her father bought for her on her sixth birthday. Be sure and pick up this issue, on newsstands now, to read my story and get my full menu of recipes.
As a special treat, today I’m sharing the recipe for these delicious Cinnamon Twists, which are just part of my complete menu of recipes in this issue. These are so easy to make when you start with a boxed pizza crust mix. We love to serve them with our homemade pizza.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 (6.5-ounce) box Jiffy Pizza Crust Mix, whisked
- ½ cup warm water (80° to 90°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon orange juice or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine pizza crust mix and ½ cup warm water; stir until a soft dough forms. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 2 to 3 times. Using floured hands, press dough into an 8x4-inch rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter; sprinkle with half of cinnamon mixture. Cut dough lengthwise into 8 strips.
- Fold 1 dough strip in half and press ends together; twist into a 6-inch rope. Place rope on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough strips, placing ropes 1 inch apart.
- Bake until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, cream, and orange juice or extract; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cinnamon twists; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
This issue is going fast so if you don’t subscribe,
be sure and look for it on news stands as soon as possible while they last!
“Love and Kindness are never wasted.
They always make a difference.
They bless the one who receives them and they bless you, the giver.”
~Barbara De Angelis