3 Ingredient Rice Pilaf

To get the recipe for the Oven Steak Kabobs pictured here, please click here.

Rice is a wonderfully filling meal stretcher and if you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for another way to use it!

When I was shopping for my Steak Kabobs post, I tossed around an easy rice pilaf idea in my head and instantly thought of vegetable soup mix and how flavorful it is. I wanted a rice pilaf that didn’t have you going to the pantry for fifty thousand different herbs so decided this was definitely worth a try.

Oh my goodness, we love it! My only complaint from the kids was that I didn’t make enough, so next time I’ll be doubling this recipe so we can have some for later.

To start with, you’ll need some dry rice, a packet of vegetable soup mix, and a few chicken bouillon cubes.

I also used a little fresh parsley but that was mainly because I was photographing it. Don’t think for one second I’m gonna run out and buy parsley just for the heck of it. I do keep dried parsley in my pantry, though.

You can use chicken broth in place of the cubes if you like but I prefer bouillon cubes for budget reasons.

Place all ingredients (plus water) in a small saucepot.

Bring this to a boil, stirring every now and then, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.

Stir in some fresh or dried parsley if you would like – skip this step entirely if you’d rather

Fluff it up a bit and enjoy!

Flavorful Rice Pilaf

• 1 package vegetable soup mix (I used Knorr 1 ounce pkg)
  • 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes plus 3 cups water*
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice (not instant)

1. Place all ingredients in a small sauce pot and stir.
  2. Bring just to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
  3. Fluff with a fork and serve.
  4. *3 Cups chicken broth may be substituted for the chicken bouillon cubes and water
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

“It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy.

It is what you think about.”

~Dale Carnegie

Comments

1. Linda says

Sitting here checking recipes and I found what is for dinner tomorrow. When I worked in a restaurant years ago, one of my faves was a kabob served on a bed of rice. I’ve not made them but once because I didn’t like how I grilled them. The oven will be awesome. Can’t wait!!

2. Lindsay says

Is this really all rice pilaf is?! I am constantly seeing people talk about it, but I assumed it’d be something ridiculous. Definitely adding this to my list! We eat a LOT of rice and I never know how to liven it up. Thanks!

3. Thora Robertson says

I make pilaf all the time, like soup idea for additional/different flavor. I always fry the dry rice for a few minutes in a 1/2 tsp of olive oil first, gives the rice a nutty flavor. Since I have everything on hand, this will be tonight’s carb…..

• Roxanna says

Oh what a good idea to fry the white rice for a few minutes. I also use the oven to cook my rice. I cover my guardian ware with the rice ingredients and bake along with the chicken. easy peasy

4. CHERYL BONE says

This is one for the monthly food ministry recipe sheet! I used generic brand veg mix and it worked just as well. They always get rice in commodities in this area as well as from food pantries. AND IT IS SO EASY and E

5. Melissa Souther says

This looks so good! I had couscous for the first time at Christmas and this picture reminds me of that. Would I fix couscous the same way as I would this rice? I look forward to getting your blog every day! Thank you so much!

6. Cathy Zitkovich says

Christy,
    You are an amazing person. Thank you for always bringing a little flavor to my kitchen table.I have a question.
    Instead of using the boullion cubes could you just cook it in Chicken broth, omitting the water?
    I have a hard time geting the cubes to dissolve and not ruin my recipes.

Thank you so much for all you do and for just being you!!!

Hey Cathy! you are so sweet, thank YOU for being YOU!!! I actually talk about using chicken broth instead of the cubes in the post and included instructions for doing so in the recipe at the bottom as well and the way you asked if you could do it is the exact way I suggested :) See how amazing you are?

7. Sarah Jean says

Do you happen to know if the vegetable soup mix is gluten/dairy free? I’m looking for a tasty side to make for some friends who just had a baby; but they a LOT of dietary restrictions. I am making your beef kabobs as well! Thanks for the recipes!

8. Betty819 says

I like rice pilaf once in a while and I happen to have a pouch of Knorr dried vegetable mix that I bought for some other recipe but can’t remember what/which so this will be a good way to use that. That would make a lot for us two “Sr. Citizens” could I make one batch and freeze the rest in 1 cup portions and then cook it later?

We are not allowed to have outdoor grills in our Sr. Citizen’s community, I love beef kabobs… ever done them in the oven? Would I need to marinade the beef cubes first?
    I caught some beautiful chuck roast on sale yesterday and I usually use one wrapped in heavy duty foil in the oven with an envelope of Lipton’s onion soup mix, baking for about an hour or longer. Could I do beef kabobs in the foil with the onion soup mix? No dishes to wash ..when cooked in foil. (If you’re lucky and the juices done leak out of foil!