Oven-Baked Bacon and Potatoes

I really enjoy getting to share my heart and recipes with you in my Southern Plate Suppers column in each issue of Taste of the South magazine.

Today I’m sharing a recipe from my column that makes my mornings ten times easier. I love to do this for my son from time to time. It’s a handy dandy, fuss free way to cook bacon and fry potatoes at the same time – and I don’t know about you but I need more handy dandy and fuss free things in my life! I love that I don’t have to stand over a skillet to cook this dish, and both the potatoes and bacon are done at the same time. The potatoes cook up wonderfully flavorful because as the bacon cooks, it provides the oil for the potatoes to fry in.

Now, let me show you an easy peasy way to make some bacon and potatoes!

You’ll need: Bacon, Kosher Salt, Pepper, and 2 large baking potatoes, or 4 small-medium ones.

Chop your potatoes into large chunks.

Arrange your bacon slices on the outside of the pan and potatoes on the inside.

Sprinkle a little kosher salt and pepper on potatoes and give them a stir.

Place this in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes, stirring the potatoes every ten minutes or so and flipping the bacon.

Once done, remove to paper towel lined plate to absorb any grease, and serve!

That’s it! Have you got your copy of the Breakfast Issue Yet? If so, what’s your favorite recipe in it so far?

Oven-Baked Bacon and Potatoes
  • 2 large baking potatoes, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 8 strips thick-cut bacon
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. On a large, rimmed baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray, toss potatoes with salt and pepper. Arrange bacon around edges of baking sheet.
  2. Bake until potatoes are tender and bacon is thoroughly cooked, about 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes of cooking time, flip bacon using tongs and stir potatoes.

“To be able to find joy in another’s joy: that is the secret of happiness.”

~George Bernanos

Submitted by Jenny. Add your quotes to our collection by clicking here.

1. sandi says

Yep! making these in class today! Only difference is I am adding some diced onions and red peppers to the potatoes, placing them in a baking dish and putting the bacon on top! Christy knows I always change things up a little, she doesn’t mind!

2. StephanieRenee says

Absolutly love your site Christy! Also just discovered it myself a couple weeks back and can look around for hours. Love your notes from Mama and this recipe sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it…. Like tomorrow!! such a true, wonderful site. Have recommended to all my friends. Keep up the fantastic work and you are definitly in my prayers. Praying for a quick, safe recovery. Glad you got some good news. Once again thank you for your site. You seem so genuine. I’m in little rock ar and when I read your post I thought darn I could have met her. Lol. Sorry not so funny or great understand The circumstances.

3. Rodney V says

How would you Oven Baked your Bacon and Potatoes for a large party (about 70 serving) ? the same way or do you have a better way due to all the Potatoes. So how much Bacon in pounds to Potatoes in pounds!( so they still taste the same)

Hey Rodney! I’d bake it the same way, with more pans of course :). If you want an easier way to do the potatoes in the oven, bake a few pans of just bacon and then remove the bacon and put the potatoes on those pans, on top of the bacon grease, give them a good stir and pop ‘em in the oven. As for how much bacon, I’m afraid that question is too relative for me to answer. In my family, I use a 1 pound package for four people. I would just go by how many pieces per person and check out the bacon you are going to buy to see how many pieces are in each package (just stand there and count it :). If it were me, I’d plan on two pieces per person.
      And by the way, who has bacon parties???? I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND! :)

4. Joyce Smythe says

Just made this ! o my! So tasty, I used Tiger Seasoning and added half a med. onion to the potatoes.. wonderful! Never thought of cooking them w/bacon before, but surely will from now on, that’s for sure :D Thank you again Christy , for another wonderful recipe <3

5. Deborah says

Christy I Love Your Web Page. I can hardly wait every morning to get a chance to get on my iPhone to read your e- mail. I bought 7 of your cookbooks from Tractor Supply. Four for my daughterinlaws. They send me text telling me what they are cooking that day out of the cookbook we gave them. I enjoyed the book the night I bought the first one I read it like a book. Loved All The Helpful Comments. All Throughout The Book!

6. Tom says

Oh now that is a great and tasty idea, can’t wait for Sunday, or maybe breakfast for dinner tomorrow.

Thank you Christy. I’m not from the South anymore but that is where my heart is these days.

7. Jessica Jackson says

My 14-year old son just made this for Sunday breakfast along with french toast. I only had to supervise and offer a few suggestions. Thanks for such an easy recipe with a great result. I think this may be come a new Sunday tradition.