Welcome to the 2015 Virtual Potluck! Visit my Cornbread CookSet Giveaway by clicking here. Check out all of the other great recipes in the potluck at the end of this post!
Mama Reed was a good person. She worked hard all of her life raising up ten good hearted, hardworking kids. She ran a farm, took care of her family and anyone else that needed taking care of whenever the need arose and she had the ability to do so. She grew a garden to raise food for her family and canned whatever she didn’t use. She went to church and lived her life according to the principles taught there seven days a week rather than just the one.
You know, you can tell a lot about a person by how they answer the question: “How are you today?”
When given a chance, which do you reach for first: your blessings or curses?
You’ll need: An onion, two packages of corn muffin mix*, Spicy Brown Mustard, 5-6 slices of cheese, a few slices of ham or some other lunch meat of your choice.
*You’re also going to need whatever the corn muffin mix package calls for but I’m not listing that here because between all of us, there is no telling what brands of corn muffin mix we may come back with so the instructions will be different. This is the package size that makes six cornbread muffins so that is the size you should try your best to get. Then we’ll prepare that mix according to package directions.
Mix up corn muffin mix according to package directions.
Chop your onion, and add it and the spicy brown mustard.
Stir that up really well.
Spread about half of it in the bottom of a greased 8×8 or 9×9 pan.
Top with ham slices. If you need to get creative in tearing them up so the spots are covered, go for it
Top with your cheese.
Pour the rest of your batter over the top and…
Spread it to cover everything.
Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until nice and golden brown on top.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- 2- 8 ounce packages corn muffin mix (the size that makes 6 muffins), plus ingredients called for on package to make batter
- 5-6 slices American Cheese
- 5-6 slices ham lunch meat (or other lunch meat of your choice)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Spicy Brown Mustard
- Preheat oven to 400. Prepare corn muffin mix batter according to package directions.
- Add chopped onion and spicy brown mustard to batter, stir until well mixed.
- Spread half of batter into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Top with ham slices followed by cheese slices, cutting them to fit if needed.
- Top with remaining batter and gently spread to cover.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cornbread is golden. Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
More recipes in the Virtual Potluck!
Country Cook: Cornbread Waffles with Chili & Fixins!
Spicy Southern Kitchen: Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole
Picky Palate: Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges
Southern Pantry: BLT Cornbread Salad
Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen: Kickin’ Crab Corn Muffins
Call Me PMC: Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread
Add A Pinch: Stuffed Peppers with Cornbread Crust
Southern Bite: Mom’s Mexican Cornbread
Plain Chicken: Taco Cornbread Muffins
Mommy’s Kitchen: Mom’s Meaty Cornbread Skillet
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts to us in our pains. It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”
~ C. S. Lewis
Submitted by Debbie Strum, thanks Debbie! Submit your quote by clicking here.Yum