Caramel Banana Pie (Banoffee Pie)

If you’re on Facebook or Pinterest, I’d sure appreciate it if you could use one of those little buttons above!
caramel banana pie

This pie is traditionally called a Banoffee Tart, but if I put that in the title many of y’all probably wouldn’t know what on earth I was talking about – I know I wouldn’t have! Besides, it is a caramel and banana pie, so that works too.

Remember, there is not a single section of the Constitution of the United States of America nor a treaty passed by the United Nations that forbids us from calling a dish we make whatever we want to call it.

This pie is SUPER easy to make compared to traditional versions but every bit as decadent. What’s even better is that  this recipe takes less than five minutes to put together, rather than the hour+ of prep time most recipes call for.

Caramel + Bananas + Whipped Cream +Easy = what’s not to love?

Caramel Banana Pie

You’ll need: Bananas, a graham crust, whipped cream, and some good old Dulce De Leche, otherwise known as caramel made from sweetened condensed milk.

Now, most people start with sweetened condensed milk and make it into caramel themselves.  There are all sorts of ways to make the caramel for this pie. A popular method for this, which is extremely dangerous, is to boil an unopened can in a pot for a bit and cross your eyes, fingers, and pinky toes that it doesn’t explode on you (most of the time you will get lucky, but it is not worth the risk for me). Others opt for a safe method of cooking it in a hot water bath in the oven or using a double boiler to make it on the stovetop.

Caramel Banana Pie

Me? My life is complicated enough and I know there is more than one way to tree a squirrel. I go to the grocery store and look in the Mexican foods section and buy that stuff already in a can. Nestle has already done the work for me and who am I not to accept their kindness :)

Besides, I could write sonnets about the quality and richness of this caramel.

You may have to look at a grocery store or two to find it but once you know who sells it around you, you’ll always know where to go. Most stores have it with their Mexican foods, right next to the sweetened condensed milk that cost as much as $1 less than the same stuff on the baking aisle. Some stores (like my local Kroger) actually have it right next to the sweetened condensed milk on the baking aisle. Either way, be on the lookout for this because it is well worth the trouble.

Caramel Banana Pie

Now that we cut out 90% of the time required to make this pie by buying the caramel already made we only have about  3 minutes prep work to get this show on the road!

Open caramel and spread it into a graham crust.

Caramel Banana Pie

Ain’t that purty?

Caramel Banana Pie

Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until it is somewhat firm.

Note: Most recipes call for topping your pie with sliced bananas and whipped cream at this point but unless you have enough people to eat that pie in one sitting, I suggest cutting the bananas and topping each individual slice just before serving to keep the pie fresh longer.

~INTERMISSION~

Time for a little cooking intermission here…

If y’all want to keep on watching the show just skip over this part.

Does this life ever get to be a bit much for you? If you’re anything like me (which I happen to know a lot of you are), it sure does. We have all of these things looming over our heads, work, needs, emotions, worry, stress, and sometimes their weight just begins to feel unbearable.

Sometimes the world around us rages like a storm. Our natural instinct is to rush in and get caught up in it. But when we do that, we just end up swirling around, as if in a funnel cloud.

How many years of our lives are spent swirling in a circular pattern, kicking up debris and getting nowhere?

I’ve learned that when that cloud kicks up, the best thing for me to do is remain centered, in the calmness that is the eye of the storm. Sure, it takes practice and self discipline but if we can’t, at the very least, control ourselves, what makes us think we can control a tornado?

Rather than rage with it, I keep my soul still. I don’t give up the peace in my heart just because others around me have given up theirs. The storm remains the same, whether I’m caught up in it or firmly in my place. So rather than let myself become frazzled and frayed, I’ll just be still. And rather than let my spirit be anxious and twisted, I’ll just be at peace.

I remember that beyond every storm is a sunrise.

And I hold steady.

And maybe I can be a ray of light from that sunrise to someone in that storm.

And maybe, while looking for hope, I can give hope, too.

Hold steady today and don’t get caught up in the storms, no matter how strong the winds seem to be.

~This concludes our intermission, Now back to our pie which is already in progress~

Caramel Banana Pie

When ready to serve, slice bananas. This is a great job for little helpers.

caramel banana pie

Step away from life for a moment and take a bite of decadence.

Caramel Banana Pie

Caramel Banana Pie

• 2-12 ounce cans Dulce De Leche*
  • 1 regular size graham cracker crust
  • fresh bananas (2-4)
  • Whipped Topping

1. Open cans and spread caramel into bottom of graham crust. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
  2. Cut into slices and top each slice with sliced bananas and whipped cream just before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
  3. *This is commonly found in the Mexican section at grocery stores but sometimes on the baking aisle next to the sweetened condensed milk. You may have to look at a store or two until you find out who carries it in your area.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Previous Pie Day Friday Posts:

Stay tuned for a new pie recipe each Friday for the rest of the summer with Southern Plate’s Pie Day Fridays!

“There is NOTHING that I face today that GOD and I can’t handle TOGETHER.”

~Unknown. Submitted by CJ. Click here to read more or submit your own.

Comments

1. Mary Paquette says

Holy Moly! Slice me a large piece! caramel is my favorite flavor. My brother used to say about sweet desserts ” If it doesn’t stick to your teeth, It isn’t worth eating” When I food shop Monday I will pick up all the ingredients, Can’t Wait!

2. Judy Barrows says

I am like Kay above love your blog recipes and also the inspiring writing you do,I just wonder how you find time for family,writing these blogs and doing the recipes,for us and the magazine,you have really got it all together..Keep up the great work..

3. Brenda Caldwell says

This sounds delicious, can’t wait to try it! And easy too, which is my style alrighty, lol! I loved the intermission too, I really needed that little message today, it really spoke to my heart and reminded me to calm down in the midst of the turbulence I was feeling today…Thank you~

4. Jackie says

Sorry but I forgot to tell you that you are so right about remaining calm but sometimes it is hard to do. I loved the intermission and it was really what I needed to remind me where I am today. Thank you! God Bless

5. Rita Bashor says

Good gravy how I thank you for posting this! Many years ago another air force wife fixed this pie “the hard way” for several of us at Thanksgiving.It was one of the most delishous pies I had EVER eaten,but when I learned she had to boil the can of cond.milk,I knew I would not make it.But now an easier way!! thank you so much.And I loved the intermission,reminded me of Ps.46:10!!!

6. Tamela in central Florida says

OMG this looks so rich that it’ll make your teeth hurt!!!! All the reason to make sure I make it this weekend!!!!! Thanks again for a super easy recipe that even I can handle!!!!

7. Connie says

Why is it call ‘Banoffee’? I almost skipped it since I can’t stand the taste of coffee (I know, I’m a freak!). Glad I looked, anyway, since I’ve wondered about boiling that sealed can. Knowing me, I’d be the 1 in a 1,000,000 who gets blown up!

8. Patti says

I have longed for an easy caramel pie recipe! I can hardly wait to try this one. Oh yes, Rita, that’s the first thing I thought of: BE STILL and know that I am GOD. Thank you, Christy.

9. Rose says

Sounds wondermous! Got to give this one a try. Now, a bit of “Grandmotherly” advice. Get that young’un used to working on a cutting board instead of a plate so she won’t ruin your good knives when she is ready to use one! Love ya! :)

10. Fran says

Thanks for letting us know about the ready-made caramel. I made it before in the crockpot for a similar pie but never again, if I can find this. P.S. I love my SP magazine! =^..^=

11. JoAnn says

Christy,
    Your intermission made my day!!! have been immersed in family issues that have had me in the depths of despair. After my devotional this morning, I still felt unsettled, until I read your message, which gave me a ray of light from that sunrise. I thank God that through you, your message brought me out of the storm into the sunshine.

12. Anne says

Wow! I had no idea you could just walk into the store and buy a can of caramel! I’m making this right away AND I’m going to use it (the Dulce de Leche instead of the caramel topping from Aldi) in the Turtle Pie recipe that you had a few weeks back! Thanks for all that you do to make life a little sweeter! Love ya! Anne

13. lynn says

I worked in a restaurant, and we made caramel pie, we did use the boil the can in water method, scared me to death every time, and I have made it at home that way too, scared me to death every time. Glad they have it in a can now,

14. Joanna says

Took this to a gathering last weekend, to rave reviews. Embarrassingly easy for the compliments I was getting (when people come into the kitchen saying, “Is that the caramel pie?” you know you’ve got a winner).

15. Deanna says

Christy, I have a question about the carmel. I made this pie last night and when I spread the carmel into the graham crust, the crust just fell apart on me. Cracked and crumbled. Should I open the cans and maybe warm them in a hot water bath so the carmel is softer?

16. Kristin Goodson says

So glad you have this recipe!! was looking for a good recipe because I’ve heard its so good and I came across this page on a google search!! Definitely going to the store to make some tonight! Thanks!

17. Linda says

I used to make this caramel pie all the time until I got scared of the method of boiling the cans of condensed milk. The only difference is the way I assembled the pie. I sliced the bananas and placed them on the graham cracker crust, then spooned the caramel mixture over the bananas, and topped it with the whipped topping. I used onLy one can of the caramel mixture. Very good!!!