Old Fashioned Egg Creams (Eggless…weird, I know)

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

This past weekend my in laws came from Georgia to visit with us over the holiday weekend. The kids had a great time with their grandparents as they always do. My mother in law brought me several recipes she’d printed out for old fashioned fountain style drinks and I couldn’t resist playing around with them! My son and I instantly fell in love with a wonderful concoction known as the Egg Cream.

Until this past weekend, I’d never had an Egg Cream before. As I’m writing this I can honestly say I’ve lost count of how many I’ve had!

What does an Egg Cream taste like?

Many of you may be wondering “What is an egg cream?” so I’ma gonna tell ya! Tastewise, it is kind of like a milkshake, only not as thick and it actually quenches your thirst rather than induces it. Egg Creams can easily be made to light in terms of sugar content, and has just a small bit of milk in it, although it tastes much milkier than it is. When you taste it and see the ingredeints you’ll be surprised there isn’t more involved – or that egg or cream aren’t in it, because of the light richness.

Why is it called an Egg Cream if it doesn’t have Eggs or Cream?

Many people have speculated over the title and the reason that makes the most sense to me is that during the height of soda fountains, it was popular to add a raw egg and cream to drinks for flavor, thickness, and richness, but during the onset of World War II they became cost prohibitive (kinda like many groceries are becoming for us now!). Since this miraculously tastes like it may indeed have an egg and cream in it, the name was sort of a marketing ploy to help sell an inexpensive drink.

And I’m drinking one right now as I type this :)

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Ingredients for the basic Egg Cream are simple: Chocolate syrup, Club Soda (or seltzer water), and whole milk.

It is important for your ingredients to be cold so put your club soda and syrup in the fridge for a while before making these. You can always add ice later if you like, too.

Club Soda is something I’d never bought before making Egg Creams. If this is the case for you, I’ll make your life easier by telling you that you can find it in the alcohol section as it is commonly used for mixed drinks although it has no alcohol in it. It also doesn’t have any flavor or sugar, which makes it a fun ingredient to add to things because it just adds bubbly refreshment to whatever you put it in!

While the ingredients above are the basic ones, you can get all kinds of creative with this. Use Almond milk or soy milk if your diet requires it, and also have fun with different syrups such as:

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Strawberry Syrup, Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup, or even some of those fun flavored syrups like they use in coffee – pictured is my Sugar Free Caramel Syrup.

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

To begin with, pour about two tablespoons of syrup into a glass.

I’m using pretty little soda fountain glasses here but most times I make these in a plastic generic solo cup – I live large like that.

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Now add 1/3 a cup of milk.

I am using exact measurements to get you started here but once you play with this recipe you may find you prefer more or less milk. I like less milk, my son likes more.

There is no right or wrong way to make an egg cream written in the constitution of the Unted States of America so don’t let anyone try to convince you there is.

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Stir that up really well.

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Like this!

Pictured are the bases for : Chocolate Egg Cream, Strawberry Egg Cream, and Sugar Free Caramel Egg Cream

But we’re not done yet!

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Fill each glass the rest of the way with cold club soda or seltzer water.

Old Fashioned Egg Cream

Enjoy your Soda Fountain Treat!

P.S. this photo was taken in my little “diner”. It’s very exclusive, I’m the only member of the staff and I serve two to three meals a day but only to people I’ve either married or mothered :).

If you’d like to read more about it, click here.

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

Old Fashioned Egg Creams

• 2 Tablespoons Chocolate Syrup (can also use Strawberry or syrup of your choice)
  • 1/3 Cup whole milk
  • 3/4-1 Cup cold Club Soda or Seltzer

1. Pour syrup into bottom of tall glass.
  2. Add milk and stir vigorously. Add in club soda slowly, leaving room for it to fizz at the top.
  3. Insert a straw and enjoy!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

A bad attitude is like a flat tire…

you can’t go anywhere until you change it.

~Unknown. Submitted by Val. Click here to submit your positive or motivational quote, or to read others!

Comments

1. J Walker says

These egg creams look yummy!

Will have to try making these with my grandchildren.

Received your classic magazine issue today and thoroughly enjoyed reading it while having my afternoon cup of hot tea.

You are such a pleasure to read, thank you for all that you share with us.

2. Debbie Caraballo says

Hey Christy, thanks for sharing this recipe. I’ve lived in egg cream land for almost 6 years, and have never had one yet.. I think it would be easier to just make it myself! Especially since I have to watch the sugar….thanks again.

Deb

3. Carolyn Roberson says

Im gluten free and use club soda as a leavening agent in my baking. Ivs been drinking the egg cream for a while now, although i didnt know what they were called. Thanks for sharing!

4. Diane says

My mom introduced me to these over 50 years ago and called them chocolate sodas! Still delish! I think egg creams is their Yankee name…the Barefoot Contessa made them one day on her show and you know she is waaaay up north..

Love your magazine girl!
    Diane

5. Judy D. says

I’ve been drinking egg creams all my life. Being born and raised in Brooklyn & Queens, New York, we had these delicious/refreshing drinks with almost every meal (well, not breakfast). I now live in California and purchased a “seltzer bottle” that you fill with water and use a Co2 cartridge to make the “fizz.” I’m happy your mother-in-law introduced you to this old time favorite.

6. Laura Whittaker says

Christy,
    I come from Brooklyn and Egg Creams were a staple in our neighborhood! The one item that we don’t have anymore is the Selter that came in the bottles that squirted. Really miss those.
    Thanks for bringing back an oldie but goodie for me!
    Laura.

7. Ashleigh Smith says

If you add a splash of cherry juice (right from a jar of maraschino cherries) to the chocolate syrup, it is unbelievably delicious! (By the way, my mom Ida is your mother-in-law Linda’s cousin. Mom thinks the world of Linda :-)

8. Donnica says

Been drinking these forever but just always called them chocolate soda! For a chilly caffeine hit, mix cold-brew coffee syrup with milk, add sweetner to taste, and fill the glass with the sparkling water. It’s my summer morning jolt!

9. Cathy Vins says

Christy,
    Rec’d my magazine today and had such fun reading it. Loved all the pictures of the recipes….made me hungry! I want to make all the recipes. I ordered two copies so that I could send one to a friend in Virginia. I’m sure she’ll enjoy it.
    I’ve never heard of egg creams, but they sound refreshing. I also will try the Seltzer water in pancakes.

10. Joy says

Do you have to use whole milk? I’m watching my weight an was wondering if 2% or skim would work in its place? What about using the almond joy coffee creamer in place of the milk with the chocolate?! Yum!!

11. Julianne says

Looks yummy!
    Christy, I teach nutrition to kids, and one of my favorite simple recipes uses carbonated (or seltzer) water.

To make a healthier-for you soda, use a can of your favorite frozen 100% juice concentrate and mix with carbonated water per directions on the can.
    Then add one more can of carbonated water and if it’s a sweet juice like grape, add a 2 – 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice to make the flavor really POP.

Kids go nuts for this healthier soda and they get all the nutrition benefits that come with it.
    Just remember that those benefits usually peak at 1 cup.

12. elaineraye says

I love these for a summertime treat. The only thing I do differently is use a small scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of the milk. The soda soon melts it and the finished effect is the same. My favorite variation is a bit of chocolate syrup, a small scoop of chocolate ice cream and cola for the carbonated liquid. I use diet cola and then tell myself it can’t be fattening. I believe my own versions of reality!

13. elle36 says

These look very good. I have made something similar by adding cream to a glass of any flavor of soda, my favorite was root beer or strawberry. Something like an Italian cream soda!!

14. Becky says

Oh my. Every time I read Southern Plate I come away with a new phrase or word. : ) I’m going to be throwing out “mothered or married” today! I hope it’s a good thing to drink this for breakfast, cuz I fear that’s going to happen. : )

15. Connie Ayers-Bryant says

I can’t wait to try these !! My daughter turns 16 in a couple of weeks so I’m gonna add an egg cream bar to the party plans ! All the girls can make their favorites and I’m sure they will love experimenting with a few of heir own ! “SWEET 16 EGG CREAM PARTY “. lol I love it !!!

16. Kristin says

These look so good! My sisters bachelorette party is coming up I’m so gonna have to make these for her and considering she’s pregnant I may have to make them all the time for her lol.

17. debbi varnell says

Christy, I remember going to our pharmacy in Memphis tn .and getting chocolate sodas! they used everything you did in yours but added one scoop of ice cream and whipped cream !!! yummy ! that was like

50 years ago when the drug stores had soda fountains in them !!! thanks for the memories !!!!

18. Gerry in Maryland says

Went online to read up more on these and found these other tips:
    Bottled seltzer water will not pour out of the bottle with enough velocity to foam the milk, so stir vigorously to get the real thick foam.
    Skim or 1% milk won’t foam as well. Non-homogenized milk is not recommended.
    The only change I made was using light cream or half-n-half. and club soda. I mixed the cream and chocolate syrup in glass, added ice to top and poured the club soda on top. Unbelievably refreshing. It’s not bad with a splash of Kahlua too.

I like this even better when I substitude seltzer with coke.

For Vanilla Simple Syrup: 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 ½ tsps. Vanilla. Bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat, and cook stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Let cool completely and add vanilla extract. Use 2 Tbsp. in place of chocolate.

19. Aunt Charley says

Took a picture last night with my new magazine, but now can’t find how to send it to you. Need help! Please, Christy, or someone who knows Joe to send the picture to Christy, give me the instructions on where to send it.
    Thanks!

20. Christopher says

My grandfather made probably the best Brooklyn Egg Creams on the planet. Then to kick it up a notch, he went out and bought a Wearing Blendor (that’s not a typo, that’s how it was spelt back then) and started cranking out some of the best chocolate, strawberry and vanilla malteds ever. That old blender finally ‘smoked-off’ and seized up in1999. The plate on the bottom read,
    “Wearing Products Corporation, New York
    Made in U.S.A. 1953.” Imagine that.

21. Tall Girl says

The “Egg Cream” name might reflect that the original recipe was made with old-fashioned ice cream, the recipe for which starts with a rich, hot-custard mixture made with eggs and cream.

22. Su says

This kind of doesn’t have much to do with the egg creams but the photo of them lined up looking all pretty reminded me of a particular brand of flavoured milks I was recently introduced to. I’ve never been a huge fan of milk and never drank it during my childhood the way other kids did so even flavoured milks don’t really get me excited but this milk – wow! It is not homogenized and it just tastes good! And comes in glass bottles!

I’ve never had an egg cream, but loved chocolate sodas as a kid. The idea is similar- chocolate syrup and club soda stirred together, with soft serve vanilla ice cream added (but not mixed in)! YUM! Haven’t had one in a long, long time. I’ve wanted to try an egg cream for a while but still haven’t, hmm. Will have to take care of that soon, thanks for reminding me!

24. I_Fortuna says

This is how I would make an egg cream: Make a creme brulee, let it cool, sitr in some cream and flavoring, sweeten, add a small amount of seltzer, sitr well, and top off with seltzer to make it fizzy. That is my idea of an egg cream and probably how it started in my mind anyway : )