100 Reasons Why I’m Not A Cowgirl – August 20th

I’ve had a lot of people asking me why I don’t update daily anymore like I did in the first week or so after the accident. It’s simple : I want you to stay awake.

Seriously, my life right now is pretty boring. I mean, I have two broke legs. I ain’t going anywhere.

I wake up at 4:30 or 5:00 and if I slept in the hospital bed I can get up myself but if I slept in my regular bed I have to wait on my husband to get up and bring my wheelchair to me (my regular bed is soooo much more comfortable but the hospital bed makes it easier on my family because I can sound the wakeup call and get the house going). I wake up the kids and scare up some breakftast for them. Then I help them get ready for school and set up a little station for me with my computer, phone charger, snacks, and some drinks. Once everyone leaves I transfer from my wheelchair to my hospital bed because that keeps the swelling to a minimum in my legs and I do my hair and makeup before starting work on Southern Plate stuff by writing, working on website stuff, or magazine stuff, until my husband comes home for lunch. Then I take a 45 minute break and gather more things to drink for when he leaves. The afternoon is much the same but I also try to sign 500-1000 book plates for my new book that debuts in late October. I take a few business calls and wait on my kids to get home from school.

I pretty much work all day just like I used to only now I don’t walk around any, or go anywhere outside of home.

I really miss driving. I miss it more than walking, even.

People ask my husband how I’m doing every day and his response is “Just waiting on the legs to heal”.

Our lives are far more exhausting than they were before, lots more work, but even so – very boring.

I have a doctor’s appointment to check on my progress two more weeks from now and I’m hoping to be able to move to the next phase of recovery by being allowed to put some weight on my left leg. That doesn’t mean walking because “some” weight is not “stand on your left leg” and I still can’t put any weight on my right leg at all. But it is progress.

Each day is progress, actually. My arms get stronger every day, which makes it easier to lift myself from one place to the next. My bruises fade a little more each day (they’re still there after all this time, can you believe that?), and the swelling goes down a little more each day. This morning my right foot looked almost normal!

It is amazing knowing that each and every day God is knitting my bones together and I enjoy talking to him about that. Just like He knit my bones together when I was being formed, it is such a special experience being my age and getting to experience that with him again.

So you won’t get a lot of daily updates from me because I know that your life requires you to stay awake and I’m just kinda sitting here, working, healing, chilling with my broke legs :)

Having said all that…let me contradict myself :)

I HAD SUCH AN EXCITING WEEKEEND!!

I WENT OUT OF THE HOUSE THREE TIMES!!!

I feel like I was a world traveler this weekend! I told my husband that I wanted to go somewhere Friday night (Now, keep in mind, I seldom go out on a Friday night even when my legs aren’t broke) so when he got home we went to a shopping center near us where I used a coupon I had to get all sorts of free stuff at this makeup store I like. Then we went to Gymboree because I had a $15.00 gift certificate and I bought some bike shorts and leggings for Katy (she wears them underneath dresses) and ended up paying $1.24 out of pocket.

THEN we went to J.Jill and REPLACED THE JEANS THE PARAMEDICS CUT OFF!!!

IMG_7135

This was a thrill for me because those were my favorite jeans and I really wanted some more but I felt guilty spending the money – but it felt so good to be out that I decided to treat myself.

As we left, my husband did something silly, he actually headed towards home!

HA! Like I’m done with my field trip that quickly? I think not.

IMG_7136

COFFEE!! WEEEEE!

Okay Ricky, now we can go home :)

SATURDAY

THEN Saturday, I gently reminded my husband (A few hundred times) that Taziki’s had Friday Pasta and how good it would be to have some. He immediately announced that he would go get me some later if I wanted and I immediately offered, out of the goodness of my heart, to go along for the ride. :)

On the way there, we stopped in Wal-Mart and I got some yarn. But it felt so good to be out riding in a car (and it is so much trouble to get into the car) that I wanted to prolong the ride so rather than go to the walmart 3.4 miles from my home, we went to the one that is 30 minutes from our home. ~giggles~ and then to Tazikis, where we ordered lunch and had a little picnic in the car with the windows rolled down.

Friday Pasta from Tazikis

Friday Pasta from Tazikis

It was a gorgeous and fun day for me!

SUNDAY

On SUNDAY I told my husband I was out of conditioner. He said “Well, I’ll go get you some in a bit.”

He then proceeded to ask Brady if he wanted to go. Brady said no.

Then he asked Katy. Katy said no.

At this piont he noticed me sitting in my wheelchair staring a hole through him and he finally asked if I wanted to go. I said yes :)

So I got to go somewhere every single day for three whole days!

IT WAS AWESOME

IMG_7169 I may have picked up a few things besides conditioner…

Also, Sunday afternoon, we wheeled me out onto the back deck and I sat out there for over an hour, until it started raining, crocheting and listening to music and singing my heart out. I would apologize to the neighbors but the ones to the right of us are really kind and I know they wouldn’t mind one bit and the ones to the left of us don’t speak to anyone, so I don’t really have anyone to apologize to - which is even better :)

It was heavenly getting to be outside for a spell and today I am getting a ramp that a member of the Southern Plate Family, Miss Marynell Hill, is letting me borrow that will allow me to go out on the back deck EVERY DAY!

So I had a wonderful weekend

and I learned that I can crochet far faster than I realized.

IMG_7184

This is Katy covering up with my halfway done afghan.

I had lots of work to do Sunday afternoon but I told my husband “Today I’m just going to realax and crochet and enjoy having broke legs.” There is something to enjoy in most any situation. Believe it or not :)

What is my takeaway from this situation at this point?

You know the big affirmation I’ve gotten from this? The big bold, glaring thing that God has shown me?

That He will absolutely take care of me if I just ask. He will see to my every need and the needs that I think need seeing to that don’t really, He will show me that I don’t really need that. (that sentence is confusing but it makes sense if you read it slowly).

And you know, I’ve always told folks that if you ever get to thinking the world isn’t filled with good hearted people, go to SouthernPlate and read some of the comments there and it will really restore your faith in mankind.

But wow. Even knowing that, even getting to read what is in your hearts ever day for the past five years. Even having had the chance to look in your eyes and hug your neck, even with all of that …I’ve been completely blown away by the kindness shown to me during all of this.

My heart is heavy with joy and gratitude.

I am completely taken aback and awestruck at all of the ways that people have helped me.

I read your comments on these posts and sometimes I can’t even respond because I just don’t even know how to thank you.

Cards, letters, packages that have been sent to me.

People cooking meals for my family -How do you even begin to thank someone for helping me take care of my babies when I can’t do it on my own?

Mamas at my kids school bringing them home to me each day so I don’t have to worry about my babies.

Bloggers stepping up and writing posts for me to allow me more time to handle the things I have to handle right now.

and just this past weekend, a friend cooked several of my recipes and took step by step photos for me so that I can write posts because I can still do the writing part but I can’t do the cooking and photography part as easily now. Can you believe someone would do that for me?

I’m stunned. I’m just overwhelemd wtih gratitude.

I always knew the world was a wonderful place.

I always knew I was blessed to have the people in my life that I have.

But I’ve always taken care of myself and never really needed anyone to help.

There is a passage written by Ranier Rilke that I have always loved. I read it for the first time as a teenager and memorized it then because I felt it was that important.

Now, I’m going to take liberty and rewrite it a bit. I am replacing “life” with God and “it” in reference to life with “He”.

So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises up before you larger than any you have ever seen; if a restiveness, like light and cloud shadows, passes over your hands and over all you do.You must think that something is happening with you, that God has not forgotten you, that He holds you in its hand; He will not let you fall.Why do you want to shut out of your life any uneasiness, any miseries, or any depressions? For after all, you do not know what work these conditions are doing inside you.”

In a post about two weeks ago I said that if I had the chance to make this all go away, I’d jump at it.

But today, I can honestly say I wouldn’t.

The life lessons I am learning from this experience, the side of humanity I am able to witness through all of this, the feeling of knowing that God is once more at work, knitting my bones together as He did when I was first being created, the wisdom and knowledge that He is feeding me each day through this experience.

I am forever changed.

My pastor has a saying that comes to mind.

“God loves you just the way you are. But he loves you way too much to let you stay that way.”

I am so grateful.

and if I could make it all go away today, I wouldn’t dream of it.

P.S. I’m going to be on QVC September 15th, wheelchair and all, with David Venable. We will probably be sitting behind a table. Hope you can tune in!

~~~~~~~~~

TO READ THE BEGINNING OF THIS SERIES,

PLEASE CLICK HERE.

~~~~~~~~~

To read the next post in this series,

please click here.

Free Holiday Recipes!

thanksgiving-collage

Looking for recipes to make your Holiday meals more special?

Click here to visit my Holiday Menu Bonanza Post with photos and links to *70* recipes!

Comments

1. Jane says

Praying for you and your family. You are definitely not boring. The birds singing, the rain coming down, and crocheting on the deck. Here in NM it is too hot to go out of doors.
    Love your posts and keep on healing.

WOW! You have had a week…and everyday you are getting stronger!
    Keep up those little movements in your ankles. legs and more they will help!
    QVC~? WAHOOOO!!! I am thrilled! what will you be selling.? Preorders for your Cook book? Cant wait! (((hugs)))

3. Gloria Ray Commerce, Ga says

Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and relate that I had a case of mono as a new teacher and was in bed for 2 months ….when were always on the go with school activities (HEC major) …..it was a mental and physical ajustment. I learned to appreciate the little things in life and the kind gestures of my fellow teachers and students. Thanks for making me smile and laugh out loud as I read your post. Gloria Ray

4. Angel Shearl says

Christy you inspire me! I love you blog, reading about your life, seeing your Family and hearing stories. The recipes are the bomb. Everyone i make we love< and we have tried a lot of them. I hope you get better soon and i will continue to pray for you to heal. Thank you for everything you do for us.

5. CJ says

Ya know Christy, sometimes GOD tries and tries to get our attention but we are SOOOO busy in life – you especially are always taking care of everyone else, that he allows something to happen so that we must slow down and therefore we can hear HIM, learn the lessons HE has for us (dealing with our (my) pride!)and allow others to take care of us! I know I’ve been there. But you are right it will change you forever. Family will appreciate you more than they did, you will appreciate the simple things in life and your faith in humanity in general will be different. So – take each day as it comes, learn from that day, enjoy the little things, and take the time to ” be still and know that I am GOD.” Prayers, CJ

6. Melody Spence says

I hardly ever write comments , but I enjoyed this one with tears running down my face. Thanks for reminding us how blessed we are. I know that the same God who formed us in His hands is guiding us through each day and I am thankful that He loves us to much to let us stay the way we are. God bless you!

7. Deanna says

Christy – after reading your post, I wanted to share one of my favorite gospel songs (by Greater Vision) with you.

“He is to Me”

Verse 1
    For many years we’ve heard about this Man from Galilee
    The Bible tells that Jesus was His name
    Some will say that He was just a man like you and me
    There was no greater reason why He came
    But if I could I’d take you to a humble little place
    Where these blinded eyes were made to see
    He opened up my heart, and then He saved me by His Grace
    And now He means everything to me

CHORUS

He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Anchor
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Rock
    He Is To Me my Saviour
    In Whom I place my trust
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Comfort
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Joy
    He Is To Me my Master
    He Is To Me my Lord

Verse 2

He hung upon a cruel Roman cross at Calvary
    To pay for all the crimes He had not done
    It was there He bought eternal life for you and me
    Making sure the victory was won
    How could I describe to you the blessing that He is?
    I have never felt this loved before
    All I know is now I strive to be completely His
    And every day He means even more

CHORUS

He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Anchor
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Rock
    He Is To Me my Saviour
    In Whom I place my trust
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Comfort
    He Is To Me (He Is To Me) my Joy
    He Is To Me my Master
    He Is To Me my Lord

God Bless You!!

8. Kim says

Melody I am right there with you girl, tears down my face…the spirit of God is ALL over these 2 broke legs. Naw, God didn’t do, that was a horse and a moment in time, but HE sure is using it to move a lot of mountains. Bless you Christy Jordan. My heart is light with joy and happiness, it has flown right out of my chest on the wings of an angel. Praying for that left leg to “stand” some weight and that right leg to hurry up and catch up with the left.!!!

9. Kathy Wolfe says

Christy I never get tired of reading your blog. You are never boring!! I see a book coming out of this to uplift people who are feeling down. You have a gift of uplifting. On my facebook page I see you say “quick what are 3 things you are thankful for” and it makes me adjust my attitude for the whole day! Thanks so much for all you do for ME!

10. Emma says

I just read your post and you are such a blessing to me and everyone who reads your post. It is amazing how God can use us when we get to a certain point in our lives, because we get so busy. But he will find away to slow us down. Praying for you and your family. God Loves you and so do I.
    GOD BLESS.
    Emma

11. Betty Sievert says

Bless your heart. I’m glad you do your hair and make up everyday, it does help to keep spirits up, doesn’t it? Oh, Lovey, aren’t you blessed you didn’t break your arms? Don’t ask me how I know, but it involves teaching grandson how to use blow dryer and curling iron.

12. Gayle S. says

Hope you are on the rode to recovery. So, sorry to hear about your accident.
    Take it easy and keep giving your wonderful recipes. Thinking of you GET WELL SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Diane says

You have made me pay attention to the restrooms at restaurants! Those at Shane’s BarBQ and Chick Fillet on Whitesburg Dr. can fit a wheelchair next to the potty but are not “family restrooms”. But with the Superwoman muscles you are getting in those arms – you may can handle it…blessings to you.

14. CATHY says

Christy, glad you are making progress. Sometimes God tries to get our attention and we are so busy, we just don’t think anything will/can happen to us. Isn’t it wonderful we have God to lean on and help us through life’s challenges? I just don’t know how people who do not believe, function when something happens. You just keep the faith and keep sending what you can, when you can – love it and everything is very uplifting and inspirational. I wish I lived closer (live in NC). Blessings to you and your family. Love you in Christ, Cathy

15. Terri says

I have sat here this afternoon reading about this journey you are on. You are an inspiration!! So glad I read this today, you are making me stop and count my blessings. I had been feeling a bit down and discouraged over progress in some areas and wow I have a different attitude after reading through your blog! May God continue blessings to you and your family.

16. patsy ramsey says

you will never know how much your words have meant to me in the past-continue to recover quickly and know that you have a lot of people that pray for you daily! God Bless you and your family.

17. Susan says

Christy, I’ve been gone on vacation for the past month and just got back to my computer and was shocked to find out about your mishap. I’m sorry this had to happen to you. But I know you will be stronger in the Lord when this is all passed. Your the type of person when life gives you lemons you make lemon cream pie with them :) I’m also praying for Gods healing on your body, that the bruising will disappear quickly, that your bones heal quickly, that you get nothing but good reports from here on out, and that he gives you and your family the physical and mental strength you all need to get through this. I know your not enjoying your circumstances right now, but who knows who you maybe witnessing to for God due to this trial your going through. You always write what’s in your heart and put it out there and just because someone doesn’t leave a comment doesn’t mean your not reaching people for him. Keep up the great work he has blessed you with, and he will keep and take care of you always!

Hi, Sing it sister~ I am in your place except it is one leg in two places. I am out of work on disability but pretty sure I will be able to go back in Sept. That is my hope anyway. It has been hard and the healing so slow but thanks to God no amputation as they thought. I have been a bit down lately and your blog was perfect. God must have led me here as I was not looking for anything special. Your husband sounds like mine regarding the trips out. That made me laugh. Hang in there. God has great plans for you and I. Isn’t he the bomb!

19. Mary Vallance says

Christy you are such an inspiring person. Thanks! I had one leg broke several years ago and had a cast from top of leg to bottom. Being 5′ 11″ that was quite a long leg not to bend and it was extremely difficult to ride in any vehicle. My friend happened to have a small station wagon and I could slide into the back of it. I went to my children’s school parties that way and slid out on my crutches. At least I was there for them.LOL