100 Reasons Why I’m Not A Cowgirl – Sept 3 My first steps :)

I had a big week last week. Getting ready for my QVC appearance, I called my hairdresser and told him I needed to try to come in to see him. It had been twice the amount of time in between visits and I haven’t gone on national TV without a visit to Daniel Alexander in over four years.

Daniel does my hair for magazines, photo shoots, tv, etc. He is the one who chooses my hairstyle, length, etc. I gladly handed that over to him after my first tv appearance (in which I wouldn’t let him advise me on my hair) and told him to never let me choose my own hairstyle again.

So what does Daniel do? He said “There isn’t any reason for you to come here because I’m going to come to you.”

And he did.

I’m so blessed to have such an abundance of wonderful people in my life!

daniel

If you’d like to find out more about Daniel, click here to go to his facebook page.

SOOOO here is my big news.

~takes a deep breath~

My doctors appointment is scheduled for tomorrow, sept 4th.

But

I’ve just had this feeling. Call it a knowing, call it an assurance, call it a result of a five week long conversation with God, but I decided that I needed to go into that doctor’s office early because I just knew in my heart God had knitted my bones together far beyond what the doctor’s had initially expected.

I called and made the appointment for last Friday and told my Mama that I felt like we were going to get a surprise.

She tried to brace me for possible disappointment :)

We went in and again everyone in that office was just as nice as they could be. I had a full set of x-rays on both legs and as I wheeled past the doctor on the way to the exam room he smiled and said “You about ready to walk? I’m making any promises but we’ll see what we got!”.

As we went into the room Mama remarked on how nice he was and how a lot of doctors would have just ignored us as we passed by. Sadly, that is so very true. But I’m used to Huntsville (the bigger city near me) and that is why I like to go to Athens, the smaller city on the outskirts.

I’m just an outskirt oriented type gal I guess :)

When he came in, he had already looked at my X-rays and sat down with a smile. “Well, you are now five weeks out from this….the bones have healed up really well.”

He had told me in my last appointment that at this one he might start letting me put some weight on my left leg but it would be a few more weeks on the right.

But there I sat as he told me I could go to full weight bearing on my left leg, not some, but full, and go ahead and start working my way up to full weight bearing on my right as I was comfortable.

He said I could start with a walker and move my way up to a cane and gave me a prescription for both (insurance is supposed to cover it that way, but it doesn’t, long story).

I have another appointment to go see him in four weeks and he said I would probably just walk on into his office at that time. He was impressed with my ability to fully move all of my joints and said I don’t need physical therapy :). I told him “Well, you told me I could exercise so I did!”

Mama and I stopped and got my walker on the way home – one without wheels. I have no desire to use a wheeled walker. I have never been one to possess grace when it comes to carriage and would like the best odds possible – which for me, does not include putting wheels on anything designed to keep me upright.

Later that night, Ricky and I went and got a quad cane for me. Health insurance doesn’t want to cover either one so we gave up on the cane and are going to fight for the walker. According to “medicare” standards (which is what health insurance goes by) you go from a walker to a wheelchair, not a wheelchair to a walker. Way to encourage folks to get better! (mercy!)

They also wanted me to turn in my wheelchair before getting a walker. Lawd people. I’m good but I’m not that good. This isn’t the time for me to stand up and dance a jig for ya.

So here I am, taking my first steps!

I practiced all weekend long but it’s going to be quite the journey. I can only do a few steps at a time. I can walk to the bathroom and walk into the kitchen but I can’t stand long and the trips have to be pretty short, then I rest.

My motto right now is “Walk a little, rest a lot”. I am mostly wheelchairing it right now because my legs are very weak and I’m not used to this new type of pain. I will get used to it soon enough, though.

I’m not going beyond what my doctor said I could do but like I told my husband “I won’t go past my boundaries, but I’ll go right up to the fence!”.

me standing

It will be  a while before I am able to go beyond the walker or get by an entire day walking on my own (without needing a wheelchair) and just this morning I was trying to imagine a day when I could just walk to my car, drive to the grocery store, and go inside and be able to walk around the whole store. I honestly can’t imagine that now but I know it will happen eventually. I can’t imagine even being able to walk for more than a minute or two at a time.

So now my journey has turned down a new road. It’s still just as much a journey but with a new set of challenges and a new set of pains to get used to (and I will!).

And as I head forward down this new leg though, I can look back and see the previous one, not marred by darkness or complaint, but lighted by joy.

And I’ve been thinking, wondering how I managed to be joyful during the majority of this. Of course I know it is God, all God, all the time, and the only time I feel my joy wavering is when I take my eyes off of Him and His capabilities and put them back onto me and my capabilities. But it is more than that as well.

Some people would read this and say that my faith is what has and continues to sustain me. I know what you mean, but to me, faith isn’t the right word. Faith is the belief in things unseen. Sure, I started out in faith, but I’ve seen God in this.

I’ve seen Him as I read every single comment left by people when they say they are praying for me.

I’ve seen Him in the kind eyes of people who gave me a word of encouragement or a smile as they opened the door and helped my family get into a building.

I’ve seen Him in the meals that were made for us and the moms who stepped up and offered to bring my kids home from school.

I’ve seen Him in the words written on cards that have been mailed as people poured love and blessings onto me.

I’ve seen Him in nurses who understood how precious that fraction of dignity is and went out of their way to preserve it.

I’ve seen his work in x-rays where my bones were healing and formed calluses to protect the wounds.

I’ve seen him each morning when I wake up and get to hug my kids and look into their eyes.

I’ve seen him in the middle of the night when I wake up, while all the house is sleeping, and look out the window to the moonbeams shining in on me.

I’ve seen God every day, all day long, over and over again.

So this isn’t about faith for me.

Faith is the belief in things unseen.

And I’ve seen God in every precious moment.

The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.”

Zeph 3:17

To read the next post in this series (it even has a recipe!), please click here.

To find out what happened, you can read the beginning of this series by clicking here.

Comments

1. Jan says

I am so glad that you can begin to walk again. Like a lot of other folks, I have been inspired and blessed by your postings.

If you more durable medical equipment, check at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores. My family buys crutches, walkers, canes, potty chairs, etc at the thrift stores and gives them to community members in need. It’s such a small thing, but it helps folks out who are in need at the time.

2. marti rippy says

So sorry to hear of your accident but through all your pain I have so much appreciated your funny descriptions of all you’ve been through and all those pearls of wisdom you have truly been blessed with…the Holy Spirit is like that…streams of living water! Just so you know one day you will thank God for the experience, maybe not all of it! Ha…..I suffered through 4 months of a serious burn on my arm (wrist to elbow) caused by tripping and falling on a Weber grill that was really really HOT!! Finally a skin graft was performed and for the first time in 4 months I was burn free, well except for the graft site, but I was so relieved I just couldn’t stop Praising God for the opportunity He was giving me to testify of His goodness and mercy. One verse He literally revealed to me (during my darkest days, His timing is perfect) came from Isaiah 41:10, “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed (discouraged), for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.” Christy, I can not imagine a better place to be than in His right hand! He changed my life during that experience….pride has always been in my way many times during my life, I still battle that one, but He has humbled my spirit in such a way I look at every aspect of my life differently. There are reasons for everything….sometimes it takes a while to discover but He is the revealer of all good and wonderful things. God bless you, your doctors, nurses, angels in disguise, your sweet mom, husband, and children. May those bones of yours become stronger each and every day and may you continue to see things you have never even dreamed of through His healing and blessings. —Marti

3. Kaye says

Oh Christy, wow. . . big week indeed!! So glad to hear you are somewhat “on the mend,” as well as your upcoming appearance on QVC… please keep it “simply southern,” and you’ll do great!!!!

Blessings and PRAYERS

Kaye : )

4. Cary says

As someone who had to learn to walk again myself. you have my sympathies! but you are strong, you have god on your side and you can do it!! slow but sure and as the song says. ” you put one foot in front of the other, and soon you’ll be walking out the dooooooor!” hang in there!

5. Mari Donohue says

Dearest Christie,

I have followed your jouney and am so moved by your testimony about the Lord’s love and work in you that it brought tears to my eyes. He truely is great and always active in our lives.
    Thank you so much for sharing your trials, hopes and spiritual growth.

Love it,

Mari

6. Jean Roberts says

Christy,

I am dabbing tears at this moment after reading this wonderful update. I have been praying for you daily and knew God was going to heal and take dare of you. This has been proven this through this testimony. One of my favorite scriptures, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I pray God
    continues to bless you.

Jean

7. Nancy Guthrie says

You are really a tough lady. Keep up the good work. May God continue to give you added strength and courage through this time. One day you’ll look back and everything will be okay. I enjoyed your website and all the delicious foods you prepare. Take care!

8. Marianne says

Whaaaaaaaa HOOoooooooooo!!!!! Christy is on her feet again!!! Small baby steps dear one, I am sure that you will walk into that next appointment!!! Imagine being able to drive yourself to the grocery store!! I know that when I was able to walk again my main goal was to drive my own car and enjoy the freedom that it represented for me. It took me 6 months to walk totally on my own, but they said I wouldn’t have use of my left leg again. God was with me, prayers were sent up and I am blessed to have both legs working (hips need replacing but that’s minor) Have you and yours always in my prayers, God works wonders when we trust and believe in Him. God Speed!!

9. Donna McKinney says

Christy – I know you are celebrating your successes. I had a stroke in March, 2012, and I’m now only slightly off-balance. Praise God! I have been so thankful for each small step! I know you are, too! Congratulations!

10. Cathy King says

When my daughter broke her leg I skipped all the insurance poo and went straight to Goodwill. Got a walker that looked brand new for 14 bucks….took it home, scrubbed it with bleach…and she was good to hop!! The shower stools were too big and clumsy so I took bought one of those 6 buck plastic patio tables…..that go with the 6 buck plastic patio chairs that everyone in the world (except me) has. The table worked perfect in the tub!! When walker was no longer needed, we donated it to Goodwill so it could help someone else!!
    (I’m a nurse….so pretty good at improvising)!!

It is so good to see how you are progressing!! The world would be a much greater place if everyone had your attitude!! I continue to send prayers for you and your family. God Bless

11. Debbie says

So happy to hear you are progressing so well. You are a real inspiration!! I hope you continue to do well and are back on your feet very soon. I have never understood insurance companies and their logic. Sometimes it does help to have the doctor write a letter to them explaining the medical necessity (like it isn’t obvious). Good luck with that.

12. Susan Ritchie says

Christy: I am so glad you are doing better. Great report from the doctor!
    With your faith and determination you will be better soon! Thanks for
    showing the rest of us what it takes…
    Lots of Love! Susan

13. Sue Tait says

Hi Christy,

Wow, you look great! I know you have had a long road and you aren’t done yet, but you have made such amazing progress…yayyyyyyyyyyy!

You are an inspiration to us all~~~

(Loved the Tim Conway reference…)

Hang in there~~~

Sue

14. Kim S says

Oh my! Now I’ve got tears in my sweet tea! Watching that video and reading your testimony was just what I needed today! And you are so right about The Lord and faith. When our faith becomes actions in deeds we see evidence of Him time and time again. He becomes so real to us. In the big things and often even more important the small things. My saying is this, “God is in the details!”.

15. Mary-Alice DeSpain says

Christy,
    I wanted to tell you that I can empathize totally with what you have been going thru. Mid June my life changed in the blink of an eye…..just like yours did. I slipped and fell and fractured my hip. I am almost healed and it has been quite a learning experience for me as well. Every little baby step was cause for celebrations. As of last week I have graduated from my walker and just using a cane. At times I can walk around the house even without the cane. Hang in there and before you know it you will have regained your independence and be back to normal. Stay strong!

16. Donna Thiemann says

Hey Christy Look At You! Just look at Gods miracle in you getting to stand up after your terrible accident! God sure smiled on you and I too see God in people, places and circumstances! You are just glowing! I love the bible reference you used!

I am new to your sight but not to good Southern Cooking! I used to live in Memphis and later down in Mississippi! I am now in California and have been for ages! But I will never stop wanting the goodness of southern home cooking.

Your site and blog posts keep making me come back! I just adore your recipes and all you do for your readers!

Thank you for treating us all like family! You go, girl get your strength on and we all are asking God to shine in all you do! You are such a blessing to s all!

17. Jean says

Christy, thank you so much for sharing your journey! I’ve just spent 2 hrs catching up on all your posts as I had knee replacement surgery (BOTH knees) on 7/31. Looks like we both have been in recovery mode :)
    I appreciate so much the encouragement, the inspiration, & the positive motivation you have exuded, all while giving glory to God. He is so mighty to save!
    Have you ever heard of Jesus Calling by Sarah Young? It is a daily devotional. You should check out the first week of August; this was my toughest week and I never would have made it through without my precious Lord speaking to me through this book.
    Also honey, you need one more piece of equipment–a reacher!! They are awesome, I am always dropping things. I keep one in my bathroom and one in my living room/dining room. They are fabulous tools!
    Blessings,
    Jean

18. Lori Rognlie says

Ahh! What a beautiful site! So much joy—even your dog is happily wagging it’s tail!

We ALL can do things through Christ who strengthens us!

Rock on Christie!

Lori

P/S Hope you will be coming to Kansas in the spring !!!

19. Susan says

Been out of touch with the internet for the past month and now I am catching up reading your story from beginning to the end. I have been praying for you each and every day, asking Him to bless you and fill your needs…and reading what you have written thus far has made my feet cold – you have bless the socks right off of me!! I can hear Him singing over you :)

Oh My God! You are a darling. I just heard about you and your blog and most of all your journey and had to come and meet you. Let me just say, that I haven’t stopped crying. May God bless you always. I’m sure He is blessing you in many, many ways. You have not only touched my heart, but you have sowed in it too. I want to include you in my family prayers, because we are already family. Also, in our home group. We get together on Wednesday nights.
    I know I can pray for you, your health and your beautiful heart. But, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Email me if you wish and tell me if I can do anything for you. You are a sweet heart and you are already in my heart. God bless you always and give you strength and good health for many years to come. You are victorious in His name.
    Warm hugs, (Prov. 31:25)