I have no problem with traditional rice crispy treats, but I seldom say to myself “Oooh I just gotta have one”. They are okay, don’t get me wrong, and they are even better warm just after they have been made. But sometimes, biting into one of those puppies feels like chewing on styrofoam.
HOWEVER, these are different. Chances are pretty good you had these growing up. If you haven’t, prepare to get ruined for all other rice crispy treats. Little bits of crisp cereal enveloped and surrounded by a flavorful peanut butter fudgey coating.
Rather than biting into something hard, you get a toothsome chew that invites you back for more.
You’ll need: Crispy rice cereal*, honey**, Vanilla, Peanut Butter, Brown Sugar (light or dark, whatever you have), and White Sugar.
*I am using a generic cereal. Feel free to buy the name brand if you like. I saved over a dollar by getting this one
**I love honey in these but honey is expensive! I had this on hand but if you don’t, light (clear) corn syrup is a perfectly good alternative that will save some moolah.
And if you find yourself at the grocery store buying generic cereal and light corn syrup, go ahead and get generic peanut butter too. I have this because I buy big bazookin packages of it at Sam’s cheaper than I can get it at the grocery store.
Place honey and sugar into a sauce pot.
Stir this together over medium to medium high heat and bring just to a boil, while stirring constantly.
Once it comes to a boil, remove from heat.
Add in peanut butter and vanilla.
Stir until peanut butter is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
Place four cups of cereal in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the yummy fudgy peanut butter mixture over it.
I love this picture…
Stir until well coated.
Taste test before you turn it out into a pan because you gotta make sure it is good enough, ya know ~winks~
Spoon out into an 8×8 pan that has been lined with waxed paper AND sprayed with cooking spray.
Pat down into the pan with the back of a spoon.
Allow to cool completely.
Cut into bars.
And enjoy like you’ve never enjoyed a rice crispy treat before!
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup honey (or light corn syrup)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1+1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line an 8x8 pan with waxed or parchment paper and spray paper with cooking spray. Set aside. Pour 4 cups of cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepot, place honey and sugars. Bring to a boil over medium to medium high heat while stirring constantly. Once it reaches a boil, remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until peanut butter is fully melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Spoon into prepared pan and pat down with back of a spoon. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
“Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds.
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.”
Submitted by Phyllis Seaton. Click here to add your motivational or inspirational quotes to our collection.