How To Make Whipped Cream With Canned Evaporated Milk

Thank you for all of the great feedback on my last video showing you the easy, hands free way to shred meat!

Today I’m sharing a great tip from the old days on how to make a delicious whipped cream using ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now! I just had to do a video on this one because seeing is believing!

You can print these easy instructions below!

Have a great day :)

Whipped Cream With Canned Evaporated Milk

Whipped Cream With Canned Evaporated Milk

• 12 ounce can evaporated milk
  • 1/2-3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Place can of milk in freezer for thirty minutes (use a timer so you don't forget!). While that is getting cold, place mixing bowl and beaters (or whisk attachment) in refrigerator or freezer as well.
  2. Pour chilled evaporated milk into mixing bowl and beat at high speed for 1 minute, or until foamy. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat again for about two minutes, or until thick and creamy.
  3. Serve immediately
  4. Note: This is great on top of desserts, fruit salads, pies, custards, etc. However, this has to be served as soon as it is made as it won't hold up for more than thirty minutes or so.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

“There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize. Thus the commandment: ‘Judge not.’”

~Thomas S. Monson. Submitted by Jackie. Click here to read more or submit your own.

Comments

• Alicia says

Hey Christy,
        Can this be used as substitute for sour cream? Is this the same kind of cream I could use in your recipe Aunt Sue’s Pound Cake? BTW – I ordered your new book. Can’t wait to get it. I also have your first cookbook. It is my go to cookbook now. I usually have all the ingredients right in my pantry. Now that you have showed me how to make whip cream at home, I want have to run to the grocery store at 9:30 pm, when I get a craving to make something sweet that calls for cool whip.
        Thanks,
        Alicia in NC

Hey! This is a great substitute for whipped topping on desserts, but doesn’t work the same in recipes. Evaporated milk is a good substitute for regular milk in baking, but when it comes to recipes called for heavy cream or sour cream, subbing this one won’t work out quite the same. It may work, but it isn’t as thick or rich.
          Hope this helps!

• Margaret McGinnis says

Christy, I know you’re busy with the holidays but I have a really big question. We make a frosting for cakes and cupcakes with heavy cream or whipping cream and either sugar free pudding or regular pudding. It makes a great frosting without hurting your teeth which some tub frostings use too much sugar. It sits well as both a frosting for whatever cakes as well as a frosting too decorate (writing, and even flowers.) The way many use buttercream. I will be taking a break from the holiday baking to make my favorite birthday cake, yrs I know I’m making my own birthday cake but hey that’s what happens if I want cake. I suppose my question is could I use the evaporated whipped cream instead of heavy cream?? Cause in the hellishly cold NJ, heavy cream is expensive. I hope you can answer this before the 16th?

• Angie says

Alicia,
            Re sour cream sub, you can use plain Greek yogurt or just some plain regular yogurt drained in a colander lined with paper towels- to get rid of some of the whey (liquid) till you get the desired consistency. I make my own yogurt and that’s what I do when I’m feeling lazy to run to the store just a 100m away. Hope that helps.

1. Bill says

Hey Christy,
    Have you ever done a recipe for green beans, new potatoes and bacon? I have been looking for one. As my Mom God rest her soul used to make this for us at super time. She would do this in the spring of the year when the potatoes would just get going. I have found several recipes on the Internet but they have onion in them and as I recall she did not use onions. But, could be wrong.
    Thanks,
    Bill

• Brenda B. says

Bill, I’m not Christy, but I have a recipe from my boss for something similar. All it is, is new potatoes, green beans and little smokies and cooked in a pressure cooker. I’ll bet it was adapted from using bacon!

• Ranji says

I’m from Kentucky and I make these all the time, it’s like tradition :) I get the strings off of the beans and break them in half. I put them in a large pot and boil them, just long enough to get all of the dirt off of them. I rinse them and put them back in the cleaned pot and cover them with water. I add bacon grease to them while they cook but I wait for the salt and potatoes until almost done. I usually cook them long enough so that the largest bean I can find floating around has softened. I add the salt and potatoes about 30 to 45 minutes before I know they’re finished cooking. I don’t know if it’s an old wives tale or not but I’ve heard that salting them in the beginning will make the beans tough….. so I’ve always done it this way

2. Kathy says

My mom used to make this when I was growing up. I now use whipping cream but may try and make this to see if my husbnad and kids can tell the difference. Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

• Mama Jane says

Christy, i was the same way! when i sang at church, i could do Rich Mullins and Steven Curtis Chapman stuff in their key, and could “pinch-hit” as a tenor in our church choir. I think we’re kinda Lauren Bacall Goes South sounding.

3. Tricia says

Bill/Christy,
    I come from eastern KY & I grew up with my Mom making green beans with new potatoes. She cooked the beans with pieces of “side of bacon” & when they were almost done cooking added the potatoes (red or russet) & finished cooking. She always (& still does) cook the beans until they are dry. She never added onions or pieces of bacon except what cooked off the “side of bacon”. This is how I make mine, too. My northern mil says we “cook them to death” but they are wonderful with corn bread, fried taters & cole slaw & fresh “maters”.

• Marlene says

I’m 80 and still cook my beans that way people tell me they could never taste good cooked to death. But when they eat them I notice my bowl is empty. The stories made my day. I still think my mother invented the vanilla wafers bananas and pudding desert. She had this big platter and filled as high as could be with out falling over. When my older brother came home from the World War II that’s what was waiting for him..

• Bonny says

Salman, I *think* you could put the evaporated milk in the bowl and then put them in the freezer (with the beater). But I never tried that. You would need to be careful that the bowl does not tip or the milk will make a big mess. Because I am clumsy, I would put the can in the freezer by itself, and put the bowl and beater in the refrigerator. Then I would pour the milk into the bowl after everything was chilled for thirty minutes.
      I hope this helps, Salman.

4. Sharron Horton says

My sister-in-law used to make a Cheese Cake using Pet evaporated milk. It was soooo good. Wish I had that recipe!
    Thanks for all the recipes and great blogs, Christy! So glad you are on the mend too!

5. LISA KAY SPELL says

your adorable christy finally hearing you talk . lol.. i am soooo glad you made a video and talked to us out here !! lol.. this is awesome for whipped cream and i plan on using it…. thanks and your a complete angel…. lisa

6. Marcia Humble says

Christy, I know you do a lot of sugar free or lower sugar in your recipes. I deal with a family of diabetics so I wonder if you have tips on doing this sugar free? Could you blend up splenda in a mixer to make it fine and add a touch of corn starch maybe ?? If you have any ideas on this I would love to hear them . Its an awesome idea , and I will be using it from now on . I rarely have whipping cream around . Not that I do a lot of baking that I need whip cream . But there are always Times of the year that I do and this would be great . Thanks :)

7. Vickie says

Our mother used to make this when I was a child. I could never remember how she did it except she froze the evaporated milk in an old metal ice cube maker! I remember she would whip the frozen cubes, This was a treat, Over the years I asked how she did these she couldn’t remember, SO today was a real treat to see you make whip topping! Happy Fall. Love your recipes!

• elaineraye says

Pattie-I think this may be the recipe you want.
        Woolworth’s Cheesecake
        Dissolve one 3oz box or lemon jello into 1 cup boiling water. Set in fridge to chill. Allow it to thicken, but not set up. Also place a 12 oz. can of evaporated milk in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
        In a separate bowl beat 8 oz. softened cream cheese with 1 cup white sugar and 5 tablespoons lemon juice. Fold in the thickened jello and beat until well combined. Set aside while you whip the chilled evaporated milk till it is fluffy and then combine with the cream cheese/jello mixture. Line a 9X13 pan with a graham cracker crust made by mixing 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick of melted butter with 3 cups graham cracker crumbs. Keep 1/2 cup out for topping and press the rest in place. Pour in the cheesecake mix, sprinkle with the reserved graham crumbs and chill till firm.

8. Carol from Ohio says

Marcia–I cook for diabetics too so maybe I can help you here. Whipping a can of evaporated milk (usually about 6 carbs per can) won’t result in many carbs per serving of whipped cream. Even adding a teaspoon of sugar, or better yet Splenda, won’t increase the carb count that much. I would stay away from using cornstarch as it is about 7.5 carbohydrates per tablespoon. Best solution when you have it around is to use whipping cream, which comes in at ZERO carbs. Hope this helps.

Carol you are awesome, thanks so much for the help! You can totally do without the cornstarch in this so no worries there, and I’m a big Splenda fan when making this for myself, works great! The main thing to keep in mind is that this doesn’t last very long and has to be served immediately either way.

9. maryann says

Christy, just a thought but for chocolate whipped cream what about adding chocolate syrup to the milk first? Still add the vanilla as vanilla enhances the flavor but reduce the amount a little? Or maybe adding Dutch coco powder to the powdered sugar? Hmmm Strawberry syrup?

10. Jane P. says

For the last couple of recipes, I have been unable to print because the content of the recipe does not appear after clicking the “print” button. I don’t know if it is something regarding my computer or a glitch in your website. If you haven’t received any other comments regarding this, then I can assume it is on my end.
    Hope you are almost to the end of the long battle with the wheelchair. My best to you always,
    Jane P.

11. Carolyn says

This is the way my mama made whipped cream when we were growing up. But she did not have an electric hand mixer, I remember her using the hand held egg beater to mix with, probably took a little longer, but gosh it was so good.

12. Emily says

This is such a Great Recipe to have. I have always bought the
    Heavy whipping cream but since I am a very “frugal”
    Person, ( I am the one that price matches and uses coupons
    that some people just LOVE to get behind at the store;) LOL THIS IS
    WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks so much Christy!!

13. Tracy says

I was JUST talking to my friend about how my Mama used to do this….and then you went and did a post about it!! She (my Mom) never put any sugar or anything in it (that I noticed) but she’d pour the evaporated milk into a plastic (probably Tupperware) bowl and stick it in the freezer while she finished cooking supper….then when it was time for strawberry shortcake or some other delightful treat, she’d pull the bowl out of the freezer and whip up some wonderful “whipped cream.” Thanks, Christy…I’ve just traveled back 40 years!!

14. Vicki Crowe says

Enjoyed hearing your sweet voice, and getting to see a tutorial. I did not know you could do this with evaporated milk! Good to know, and simple enough to do when yu need it quick.

15. Dena Mann says

CHRISTY!!!!!
    You are an answer to a non-verbal prayer. My Mom used to make this all the time. I have so often wondered how to make it. My Mom passed away 8 years ago this month and I had no way to find out. The people that I asked [family] remembered how good it was but no one knew how to make it. Thank you, thank you thank you from the bottom of my southern heart! It means so much to those of us transplanted southerners to have good southern recipes!
    I hope and pray that you are continuing on your road to recovery! I pray f or you daily and especially now!

16. Hollie Lee says

You know, Christy, I love you “more than my luggage.” But after hearing you talk so fast in this video, I’m starting to wonder if you aren’t part Yankee! :o) WOWeee, you can talk fast, girlfriend! :) As always, I love the site, books, videos and most of all I love your heart! Keep it up.